PDA

View Full Version : For baseball uniform style watchers

Baby Fisk
03-30-2005, 01:39 PM
A rundown of the new looks and some subtle tweaks to various MLB uniforms in 2005. linky (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=lukas/050330&num=1)

Dodgers & Cubs are following the lead of the Yankees & Giants and leaving player names off (at least some) of their uniforms. All good Sox fans will know that player names on uniforms was an invention of none other than Bill Veeck. Another tradition started on the South Side!

Brian26
03-30-2005, 02:04 PM
Dodgers & Cubs are following the lead of the Yankees & Giants and leaving player names off (at least some) of their uniforms.

The Dodgers have had player names on the back of their unis for as long as I can remember....(mid 70's). Why change now?

RKMeibalane
03-30-2005, 02:09 PM
The Dodgers have had player names on the back of their unis for as long as I can remember....(mid 70's). Why change now?

I think management wants to "get back to its roots."

Brian26
03-30-2005, 02:16 PM
Wow- Lukas does a heck of a job with that column. He does his homework.

Unregistered
03-30-2005, 03:46 PM
Wow- Lukas does a heck of a job with that column. He does his homework.Yeah, all the visual aides really help the column.

HITMEN OF 77
03-30-2005, 03:51 PM
At least the Nationals got one thing right, there hats.

ChiSoxRowand
03-30-2005, 07:21 PM
That one day Red Sox jersey is pathetic. And it seems like the D-rays have changed uniiforms about 10 times since they have been in the league.

Fenway
03-30-2005, 07:22 PM
Parking Lot Frank wants $5 a program :D:

skobabe8
03-30-2005, 07:36 PM
At least the Nationals got one thing right, there hats.

You said it. But how the **** did he find that "gold drop" on the Giants unis????? :?:

HITMEN OF 77
03-30-2005, 08:09 PM
You said it. But how the **** did he find that "gold drop" on the Giants unis????? :?:

The "gold drop" stands out if it has reaction to steroids maybe?

TornLabrum
03-30-2005, 08:46 PM

You mean they're moving the club back to Brooklyn?

Norberto7
03-30-2005, 11:12 PM
As far as uniform trends go, have we seen the last of the powder blue road uniforms so prevalent in the 1980's (and early 1970's for the Sox)? I always thought they were pretty sharp looking, maybe not for all teams, but for a few, say Kansas City in particular.

Anyways, it's a pretty interesting article. Kind of shows the quest for uniform perfection, if nothing else.

batmanZoSo
03-31-2005, 12:13 AM
I like the gold trimmed Red Sox jersey. If we win the World Series, we should do the same thing, only wear it all year--with the patch--and rub it in everyone's faces.

And when we play the cubs in wrigley, we should wear gold hats and jerseys with a big image of the World Series trophy on the sleeve. Maybe for that day we could change our team name to the Champions. :cool:

FightingBillini
03-31-2005, 12:26 AM
As far as uniform trends go, have we seen the last of the powder blue road uniforms so prevalent in the 1980's (and early 1970's for the Sox)? I always thought they were pretty sharp looking, maybe not for all teams, but for a few, say Kansas City in particular.
I would assume we will see more of the powder blue road jerseys or other colored road jerseys in the future. The Padres came out last year with khaki colored road unis, and it was shocking at first. When I first saw them, I felt the need to adjust the color on my tv. By the end of the year, they grew on me, especially the khaki pants with the navy jersey. The Padres will open up the door to off color road unis. I am predicting the next deviation from traditional grey will be a charcoal grey, I just dont know which team will do it.

Either way, I imagine we will be seeing light blue road unis in the next 5 years. I don't necessarily think thats a good thing. I think they look horrible in most cases. I like traditional looks, and the Padres' khaki wasn't too far from the norm. Light blue looks gaudy in my opinion. Then again, in my mind the best looking road jerseys are the flannel grey ones from the 60's.

Baby Fisk
03-31-2005, 08:41 AM
If we win the World Series, we should do the same thing, only wear it all year--with the patch--and rub it in everyone's faces.

And when we play the cubs in wrigley, we should wear gold hats and jerseys with a big image of the World Series trophy on the sleeve. Maybe for that day we could change our team name to the Champions. :cool:
I like the subtlety. It's a refined look, but not too "over the top". :cool:

HITMEN OF 77
03-31-2005, 11:39 AM

Anyways, it's a pretty interesting article. Kind of shows the quest for uniform perfection, if nothing else.

The Sox wore there 1969 powder blue road flannels (my favorite Sox uni of all time) in Milwaukee a few years back, they had a few left over for sale at Soxfest this year. Pants, jersey, stirrups the whole nine yards.

Brian26
03-31-2005, 12:05 PM
The Padres will open up the door to off color road unis. I am predicting the next deviation from traditional grey will be a charcoal grey, I just dont know which team will do it.

Aren't the Blue Jays already wearing charcoal grey hats? I think their third jersey is charcoal grey too.

I highly doubt we'll see the powder blue unis come back anytime soon to be honest.

Baby Fisk
03-31-2005, 12:13 PM
Aren't the Blue Jays already wearing charcoal grey hats? I think their third jersey is charcoal grey too.

I highly doubt we'll see the powder blue unis come back anytime soon to be honest.

Ho ho! The Black Jays have made such a mockery of their uniforms that people are starting to think charcoal grey is their alternate colour. Actually, the Jays wear their horrendously ill-suited BLACK jerseys so often that it's hard to believe they still have grey road jerseys and their endangered white home jerseys. They wear black hats on the road and dumb looking grey hats at home. Note the near-total absence of blue. :rolleyes: Worst current uniforms in MLB.

FightingBillini
03-31-2005, 12:13 PM

No, the Black Jays' unis are completely messed up. At home they wear a grey hat (not charcoal). On the road they wear black hats. Their alternate jersey is black, hense the nickname "Black Jays" on these boards.

ChiSoxRowand
03-31-2005, 01:24 PM
The Giants white home jerseys are a little bit different than all other white jerseys.

Brian26
03-31-2005, 01:47 PM
No, the Black Jays' unis are completely messed up. At home they wear a grey hat (not charcoal).

I thought their home cap was always charcoal grey.

MiamiSpartan
03-31-2005, 02:43 PM

So they're moving back to Brooklyn???:D:

FightingBillini
03-31-2005, 04:09 PM
The Giants white home jerseys are a little bit different than all other white jerseys.
Yeah, the Giants and Diamondbacks both wear cream colored home jerseys, not white.