PDA

View Full Version : Borchard as a 25th man

Mohoney
03-30-2005, 01:26 PM
I know it won't happen, but I want Borchard to come north as the 25th man until Frank gets back.

Yes, the .261 average looks pretty mediocre, but 9 of his 12 hits have been for extra bases, and he's driving in runs.

If he can go 1 for 4 in an occasional start with an extra base hit and an RBI or two, plus be able to play all 3 OF positions, it could be a real asset while Frank is out.

I guess it all depends on how long Frank is out. If Frank's going to be back by May, I would give Borchard a month or so starting twice a week and pinch-hitting against Major League pitching. Yes, he would get 50 or so less at-bats by not playing in Charlotte, but the trade-off is that his at-bats are coming against Major League pitching, and he gets an extra month to work with Greg Walker.

If Frank is gone until June or later, then forget it and send Borchard to AAA so he can play every day, but if Frank's coming back in May, we might benefit by giving Borchard a chance to prove that the progress that he has made this Spring isn't just a mirage.

soxfan43
03-30-2005, 01:33 PM
I think the best thing for Joe is to continue his improvement this spring by getting regular ABs in AAA. Sitting on the bench 5 or 6 days a week isnt going to help him

DumpJerry
03-30-2005, 02:08 PM
:bundy

You want the Sox to do what?????????????

RKMeibalane
03-30-2005, 02:11 PM
Borchard has yet to prove that he can hit Major League pitching. The Sox offense is already short-handed without Frank being ready. They don't need to have a sinkhole in their lineup.

CPditka
03-30-2005, 02:17 PM
I would rather Borchard tear up AA/A pitching and possibly increase his trade value for a midseason swap. This is a much better idea then having him ride the pine, get cold go back down to AA/A when Frank gets back and suck thus making us trade Sweeny/Anderson to get Player X that KW is dieing to have come the trade deadline. Let hope JB destroys the ball, tears the cover right off it in the minors and some GM really wants a power prospect.

Borchard as the 25th man, just say no.

Mohoney
03-30-2005, 03:02 PM
Borchard has yet to prove that he can hit Major League pitching.

Which is exactly why I want to give him an audition of sorts.

A bench of 1. Davis or some other backup C, 2. Ross Gload, 3. Timo Perez, and 4. Pablo Ozuna is pretty much set in stone. I'm just trying to think who I would want as the last guy, and right now it's Borchard.

voodoochile
03-30-2005, 03:07 PM
Personally, I'd prefer he spend his time in the minors if options allow. He won't get enough AB's sitting last on the bench to continue his progress. He is clearly at a make or break point in his baseball career, he should spend that time continuing to develop until he can get regular PT again. Sitting on the bench does him NO good at all.

If his improvement is because of a modified swing or more confidence or whatever, he won't continue to improve sitting on the bench.

wdelaney72
03-30-2005, 03:45 PM
Look at his OBP. The numbers don't lie. 75% of the time he steps up to the dish, it's an out.

I'll take an at bat by Gload, Timo, or Burke.

No thanks.