PDA

View Full Version : The AJ-SF story redux

Flight #24
03-30-2005, 11:00 AM
Mods, move to What's the Score if appropriate given the source.

On ESPN1000, one of the hosts just revised the wa he heard the AJ-Tomko story as Tomko approahced him to go over hitters and AJ said "OK, let me finish this hand". He finished, they went over hitters.

Tomko got lit up that day, blamed AJ, and things got started.

No source given, by the host (Carmen?), but it clears things up somewhat re:AJ. I'd be surprised if he lasted that long in Minny with a horrible work ethic.

JKryl
03-30-2005, 11:15 AM
Good. It's nice to hear something positive for a change. I have high hopes for AJ this year.

jabrch
03-30-2005, 11:45 AM
Mods, move to What's the Score if appropriate given the source.

On ESPN1000, one of the hosts just revised the wa he heard the AJ-Tomko story as Tomko approahced him to go over hitters and AJ said "OK, let me finish this hand". He finished, they went over hitters.

No source given, by the host (Carmen?), but it clears things up somewhat re:AJ. I'd be surprised if he lasted that long in Minny with a horrible work ethic.

That's a lot different than "AJ would rather play cards than go over hitters." Let me finish this hand is not an unreasonable request. It may not reek of team spirit, but it is far from unreasonable.

Flight #24
03-30-2005, 11:49 AM
That's a lot different than "AJ would rather play cards than go over hitters." Let me finish this hand is not an unreasonable request. It may not reek of team spirit, but it is far from unreasonable.

Especially given that stopping in the middle of a hand screws the other guys plsying the game. Had he done that, I'm sure Tomko's comment would have been "AJ's a hard worker, but a bad clubhouse guy, the kind who doesn't really consider the impact of his actions on his teammates".

Tomko's the guy who refused to retaliate after his teammate got plunked and he was ordered to do so by Piniella, right? Hey brett - this is for you: :whatever:

Risk
03-30-2005, 11:49 AM

I agree, but I think the important thing that a lot of the Sheeple will miss is that AJ did in fact go over the hitters after he finished playing his hand, regardless of how long he made Tomko wait. While certainly not the greatest moment in team spirit, this story is sounding more and more like sour grapes from a mediocre to crappy pitcher, one Brett Tomko.

Risk

batmanZoSo
03-30-2005, 12:06 PM
You never heard anything about AJ's work ethic in Minnesota. There, he was always a major clubhouse leader and did whatever it took to win. He may be a jerk, but Everett was supposed to be one, too, and what has he done since he's been with us? Nothing.

So until AJ does something wrong while on the Sox, who cares?

Norberto7
03-30-2005, 12:24 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/scorecard/03/29/truth.rumors.mlb/index.html

Word in Chicago is that the White Sox are having second thoughts about their acquisition of ex-Twins and Giants catcher A.J. Pierzynski, and might try to trade him soon.
-- St. Paul Pioneer Press

Hearsay? What gives? Just pot stirring? Haven't seen anything on this site, which is my trusted source.

Edit: Ah, nevermind, saw discussion in other thread.

ma-gaga
03-30-2005, 12:29 PM
You never heard anything about AJ's work ethic in Minnesota.

Well, that's because you didn't care at the time. After his 1999 season he was sent back down to AAA because of his work ethic. Tom Kelly thought that he was a lazy catcher. He worked his ass off to get back to the major leagues by midseason of 2000 to stay.

TheBull19
03-30-2005, 09:43 PM
I'd be surprised if he lasted that long in Minny with a horrible work ethic.

Exactly my sentiments - if AJ is such a cancer, how is it he was a integral part of the team that is regarded as such a great example of winning team chemistry? And could all the AJ bashing in the Bay Area and by the Giants organization have anything to do with that Joe Nathan burn they must've been feeling when they struggled to fill that closer role last season? And why should we care what a team filled with a bunch of bums like that think about him anyway? Enjoy Mike Matheny's .220 average in the middle of that ancient, suddenly unimpressive lineup you've got over there, chumps, I'll take AJ for nothing due to your stupidity, thank you very much.

swanson24
04-01-2005, 10:44 AM
We all know how well A.J. played against the Sox when he was with the Twins. He is a player who talks trash to hitters in batters box during a game in order to gain a psychological advantage. He plays with an intensity and fire that quite frankly has been missing from a lot of players on the Sox over the last five years. Not all players but enough players. I think this was on eof the best signings Kenny made over the offseason. Support A.J.! Go Sox!

SoxSpeed22
04-01-2005, 01:33 PM

No source given, by the host (Carmen?), but it clears things up somewhat re:AJ. I'd be surprised if he lasted that long in Minny with a horrible work ethic.The same Brett Tomko who %&#^ed us over in 2000 with Seattle? Everyone thought he was gonna be an All-star.
http://www.totalrocky.com/films/rocky/photos/mickey_t.jpg (http://www.totalrocky.com/films/rocky/photos/mickey.jpg)"Cuz' you had the talent to be a great fighter. And instead of that, you became a leg-breaker for some cheap, second-rate loan shark!"
Rocky: It's a livin'
Mickey: It's a waste of Life!

Except in Tomko's case, his ego and stubbornness interfere and he's "Just another pitcher".