PDA

View Full Version : Jimmy Greenfield=Moron

Ol' No. 2
03-30-2005, 11:52 AM
His ranking (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-050330topplayersredeye,1,1424987.story?coll=cs-whitesox-headlines) of the top 10 Chicago baseball players contains (surprise!) 6 Cubs and 4 Sox players. But that's not the reason he's a moron. Frank Thomas is not on the list because he's "likely a non-factor this year". :kukoo:

chuckn98229
03-30-2005, 12:04 PM
What a tool.

maurice
03-30-2005, 12:44 PM
1. Carlos Zambrano
In a surprising move, he picks Zambrano ahead of Buehrle, not because his publication owns the cubs, but rather because Zambrano has "overall better numbers." For some reason, he downplays the fact that Buehrle has been good for a longer period of time and ignores the fact that Buerhle pitches in the AL and in Coors East, while Zambrano gets to face a NL pitcher about three times per game and an unbalanced schedule featuring three of the worst teams in all of baseball. Nonetheless, Zambrano definitely belongs in the Top Ten. It's long past time that cub fans started giving him props ahead of "Carrie Woods," et al.

2. Mark Buehrle

3. Aramis Ramirez
Allegedly picked ahead of Konerko because "Ramirez's poor 2002 was due to a lingering ankle injury while Konerko's .234 average in 2003 still defies explanation." Huh? Granted, Konerko's 2003 was bizarre, but the "ankle" thing is BS. Ramirez's career numbers (including his big 2004) are .273 AVE / .791 OPS (compared to Konerko's .278 / .826). Nonetheless, he should be very productive from here on out and probably deserves Top Ten status.

4. Paul Konerko

5. Mark Prior
"Prior can't stay healthy. On talent alone, Prior is Chicago's best, but you have to produce....[W]hen it comes down to it, he's still only had one great season sandwiched between two six-win years." So why's he rated #5 and ahead of Mr. Production, Freddy Garcia?!?

6. Nomar Garciaparra
We'll see. The jury's been out on this once-great player since 2000. The Red Sox moved him for a reason, and the result was a WS title. He should be good for another 800+ OPS and more crappy D at SS. You can have him. I'll take Freddy.

7. Freddy Garcia
Hugely underrated. He belongs right up there with Buehrle.

8. Kerry Wood
The most overrated player in baseball is still waiting for his first 15-win season. That's real hard to do when you can't even pitch ten innings against minor leaguers in Spring Training.

9. Derrek Lee
"The gap between Lee and Rowand is pretty wide. Lee's got better power numbers and might be the best defensive player in Chicago." Great defense at 1B and a $1.50 might buy you a cup of coffee. Rowand plays CF, ferchrisake. What about that huge power gap?
Lee's career SLG is .474. It was .504 in 2004.
Rowand's career SLG is .475. It was .544 in 2004.
Nonetheless, Lee probably belongs in the Top Eleven (which would include Frank).

10. Aaron Rowand

- - -

Like I said, not neearly as bad as I expected. It seems like he's at least trying to be objective, but another craptacular cub season paired with big years from AJ, Iguchi, Uribe, Podsednik, and/or McCarthy really could make these rankings look silly.

whitesoxwilkes
03-30-2005, 12:54 PM
Jimmy Greenfield's not a moron. Cubs fan, yes. Cub cheerleader, yes. But he's also one hell of a nice guy.

kittle42
03-30-2005, 01:45 PM
This list isn't far off at all except for maybe a few of the rankings. As far as the actual 10 players go, I don't see how you can argue with it, except of course for Thomas, but if you put him in, you drop Rowand (since he's 10).

Ol' No. 2
03-30-2005, 01:56 PM
This list isn't far off at all except for maybe a few of the rankings. As far as the actual 10 players go, I don't see how you can argue with it, except of course for Thomas, but if you put him in, you drop Rowand (since he's 10).Rowand shouldn't be 10th. Taking the same 10 players, I'd put No-More 10th.

samram
03-30-2005, 02:08 PM
His ranking (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-050330topplayersredeye,1,1424987.story?coll=cs-whitesox-headlines) of the top 10 Chicago baseball players contains (surprise!) 6 Cubs and 4 Sox players. But that's not the reason he's a moron. Frank Thomas is not on the list because he's "likely a non-factor this year". :kukoo:

Speaking of non-factors, who's Jimmy Greenfield?

Soxzilla
03-30-2005, 05:18 PM
Jimmy Greenfield's not a moron. Cubs fan, yes. Cub cheerleader, yes. But he's also one hell of a nice guy.

I've met Greenfield. And you're damn right, he is one hell of a nice guy.

I can agree with those rankings.

Ol' No. 2
03-30-2005, 05:31 PM
I've met Greenfield. And you're damn right, he is one hell of a nice guy.

I can agree with those rankings.How can you possibly have a list of top 10 Chicago ballplayers and not have Frank Thomas on it? :?:

Hangar18
03-30-2005, 05:50 PM
Did anyone notice how, of the 4 of 6 "top 10" cub players were all
"acquired" under Questionable Circumstances

1. The Messiah acquired only because Twinks thought they were folded
2. Nomar, acquired because the BoSox were ready to give the guy away
(for Francis Beltran!!!!!!!)
3. Derrek Lee, acquired because Marlins couldnt afford him (for HeeSeop!)
4. Aramis Ramirez, acquired because Pirates couldnt afford him (forBobbyHill!!)

Where would the North Side corporation be today ???

kittle42
03-30-2005, 05:57 PM

Hangar, I have to say that I have heard, on these boards and in person, many excellent arguments from you regarding the Cubs. However, I have always felt that the above ones are the weakest. I mean, why should Hendry be faulted for fleecing other clubs?

Soxzilla
03-30-2005, 08:45 PM
How can you possibly have a list of top 10 Chicago ballplayers and not have Frank Thomas on it? :?:

I'm assuming that he did the list of players who will make the biggest impact this year for each respective club. Granted, not sure how he can put the messiah on there and not Frank, since they are both oft-injured.

Anyways, Greenfield doesn't use his bias when he writes his columns.

Nellie_Fox
03-30-2005, 08:55 PM
1. The Messiah acquired only because Twinks thought they were foldedNah. They didn't draft Prior because they didn't think they would be able to sign him (budget issues) and because Mauer was such a popular hometown choice that they thought the fans would accept that.

PAPChiSox729
03-30-2005, 09:08 PM
Actually, considering he is a Cub fan, that could have been a lot worse. Wood shouldn't be on the list. Frank is easily Top 3. But, overall, not that bad.

Ol' No. 2
03-30-2005, 09:31 PM
Granted, not sure how he can put the messiah on there and not Frank, since they are both oft-injured.Anyways, Greenfield doesn't use his bias when he writes his columns.Did you type this with a straight face?:o:

Dan H
03-31-2005, 09:49 AM

I dont' agree with the list since I wouldn't even have Kerry Wood on it. But Frank Thomas doesn't belong until he returns and shakes off the rust. Also, being that he is in his late 30's, he is not in his prime. Though saying that he is "likely a non-factor" is taking things a bit far.

BigEdWalsh
03-31-2005, 10:02 AM
Who cares if he's a nice guy? There are a few screwy things with this list. Most of which have already been mentioned. I just don't get his reasoning for putting Rameriz ahead of Konerko. If Thomas isn't on the list because he's a non-factor THIS year (according to Jimmy Cubfan), why is he considering factors from other years? Rowand is way too low and why is Corey Patterson on the list at all. Where's Pods, a guy who stole 70 bases last year? This whole thing is just plain dumb.

Jerome
03-31-2005, 02:17 PM

That is why I cringe whenever I hear from Bruce LeVineline that Hendry is such a great GM.

Soxzilla
03-31-2005, 02:26 PM
Did you type this with a straight face?:o:

I, in fact, did.

Let's not get into a whole big thing over this, it's just one man's opinion. And personally I don't see a heck of a lot wrong with it, other than the fact that he put Wood and Prior on it and not Frank. Prior didn't have such a hot year last year, so it's hard to find cause in punishing Frank for coming off an injury and a year where he hit AWESOME and not punishing the messiah for pitching mediocre and coming off an injury. Otherwise, I agree with the list.

I personally think we Sox fans should take this list as a blessing in disguise... he listed four potetial members of our club that could be better than the best right handed hitter of the past one and a half decades.:redneck Though, I think Frank will be a major factor this year, IMO.

MRKARNO
04-01-2005, 11:16 AM
Who cares if he's a nice guy? There are a few screwy things with this list.

The list was somewhat screwy, but on the whole Greenfield has been a relatively fair columnist. Today in his column he mentioned how the White Sox did not get a mention on the AL Central segment that was on Sportscenter earlier, which I think is pretty good evidence that he doesnt let his allegence to the Cubs get in the way of his writing too often.

Lip Man 1
04-01-2005, 11:28 AM
That was Teddy Greenstein's column today.

Lip