PDA

View Full Version : Bruce Levine Guesses: Ben Davis To Be Traded Yesterday???

Unregistered
03-30-2005, 11:46 AM
Just on AM1000

CHISOXFAN13
03-30-2005, 11:46 AM
Levine is reporting Ben Davis will be traded later today, and Widger will be the backup catcher.

CHISOXFAN13
03-30-2005, 11:47 AM
Just on AM1000

I think you beat me by about 10 seconds on starting this thread. :D:

SoxWillWin
03-30-2005, 11:48 AM
I bet you this could be where certain "mediots" got the we're trading AJ rumor. They might have heard that the sox were looking to trade a catcher and ASSumed it was AJ

PAPChiSox729
03-30-2005, 11:49 AM
Did he mention to whom or whether he would be part of a package?

mjharrison72
I bet you this could be where certain "mediots" got the we're trading AJ rumor. They might have heard that the sox were looking to trade a catcher and ASSumed it was AJ
Smart.:rolleyes:

kittle42
Awesome...just think what KW can do with that bag of magical beans we'll get in return!

!Winning=Fung!
Just heard him on 1000 and said chiris widger will be A.J's backup. All that crap and jealousy that kenny/ozzie aren't content with AJ. False as I knew. Tomko is a head case.

Randar68
03-30-2005, 11:50 AM
Just on AM1000

Not really surprised. Chris Widger has worked well with the pitchers and has quite a bit more experience than Ben.

Irishsox1
03-30-2005, 11:51 AM
Widger has a lot more experience than I thought. Hopefully they can get something for Big Ben.

Widger's stats (http://www.baseball-reference.com/w/widgech01.shtml)

Unregistered
03-30-2005, 11:51 AM
I bet you this could be where certain "mediots" got the we're trading AJ rumor. They might have heard that the sox were looking to trade a catcher and ASSumed it was AJLevine went on to say that all those rumors are completely false and that AJ is their guy. He said he's kept his mouth shut and done his job, and that the Sox are happy with him.

Unregistered
03-30-2005, 11:52 AM
Not really surprised. Chris Widger has worked well with the pitchers and has quite a bit more experience than Ben.I guess I'm more surprised that someone will actually trade for his $1 million salary.

Ol' No. 2
03-30-2005, 11:53 AM
Just heard him on 1000 and said chiris widger will be A.J's backup. All that crap and jealousy that kenny/ozzie aren't content with AJ. False as I knew. Tomko is a head case.Why would you pick Widger over Burke?

CHIsoxNation
03-30-2005, 11:53 AM
I'm glad to hear AJ is sticking around. I hope things work out really well and maybe we can keep him around another couple years after this year. I doubt we will get too much in return for Big Ben, but hopefully Kenny will get some more money to mess around with too.

soxfan43
03-30-2005, 11:54 AM
So does this mean Burke is on the roster?? Also, on cnnsi's rumor page they showed the Tampa Tribune as saying AJ is on the block

Flight #24
03-30-2005, 11:55 AM
I guess I'm more surprised that someone will actually trade for his $1 million salary.

He said Sox would probably eat some salary, but end up saving money on the deal and getting something back.

I figure the Minnesota guy heard "The Sox are looking to dump a recently acquired catcher", and called up his good buddy Brett Tomko to find out who it might be.

Or maybe if you check phone records, there's a call there from the Trib tower to that Minnesota writer's offices.....

SoxWillWin
03-30-2005, 11:59 AM
Or maybe if you check phone records, there's a call there from the Trib tower to that Minnesota writer's offices.....

:rolling:

Randar68
03-30-2005, 12:03 PM
So does this mean Burke is on the roster?? Also, on cnnsi's rumor page they showed the Tampa Tribune as saying AJ is on the block

AJ cannot be traded until June, so all those reports are by lazy media (surprise) who are running with some bafoon from Minnesota's crap...

Burke is not going to be on the roster, folks. Chris Widger is your back-up.

PAPChiSox729
03-30-2005, 12:03 PM
There is already a thread (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=47330) on this.

CHISOXFAN13
03-30-2005, 12:08 PM
There is already a thread (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=47330) on this.

I posted it as he posted his. Sorry for the mistake.

JKryl
03-30-2005, 12:11 PM
Widger has a lot more experience than I thought. Hopefully they can get something for Big Ben.

Widger's stats (http://www.baseball-reference.com/w/widgech01.shtml)

Unfortunately, he's only broke .250 as a batting average twice in his career. He may be able to catch, but it doesn't look like he can hit.

maurice
03-30-2005, 12:13 PM
Why would you pick Widger over Burke?

I haven't seen enough to judge personally, but it's possible that they like Widger's glove and ability to handle pitchers better than Burke's.

If Widger is comparable to Davis in this respect, it would be wise to save a few bucks by dumping Davis's contract and his lack of any discerrnable offensive production.

voodoochile
03-30-2005, 12:18 PM
Unfortunately, he's only broke .250 as a batting average twice in his career. He may be able to catch, but it doesn't look like he can hit.

Well, he's perfect in the post-season - 4 AB, 4 K...

I agree, why not Burke who also gives you a bat that can PH off the bench?

Frater Perdurabo
03-30-2005, 12:20 PM
Might they prefer Widger also because he's right-handed, while Davis, like A.J., bats left-handed?

delben91
03-30-2005, 12:21 PM
Can Burke be optioned and Widger can't? It might be purely a defensive idea as well, maybe Widger is a star defensively.

FightingBillini
03-30-2005, 12:30 PM
Might they prefer Widger also because he's right-handed, while Davis, like A.J., bats left-handed?
Davis is a switch hitter. I will go on the record as saying I dont like this move one bit. I guess I will have to wait and see what we get for Big Ben, but right now, I dont like it. I am not a big fan of Chris Widger, either. I think Burke should get the backup job. He can hit, and I think he has earned himself a spot on the team. Call me crazy, but I think Ben Davis will go on to become a solid major league catcher.

HomeFish
03-30-2005, 12:33 PM
Davis is a switch hitter.

No, he's a switch batter. You need to get a hit to qualify as a hitter.

Foulke You
03-30-2005, 12:36 PM
I heard the report this morning, and here is what I remember from what Levine said:

-Sox will move Davis probably by the end of today

-Sox coaches were unhappy with the shape Davis was in when he reported to camp, also he has had limited action in ST games because he is recovering from some kind of hand injury

-Sox management happy with Widger's defensive ability and experience which is why he has the inside track to be the backup catcher

-Levine was adament that the reports from Minny about AJ are completely fabricated

-Levine not sure whether the Sox will have to pay some of Ben's salary but they will definitely save money in the deal. Sox management feels $1.1 million is too much to pay for a backup catcher.

Brian26
03-30-2005, 12:38 PM
Am I the only guy who's a little disappointed that they're not keeping Davis as a backup? He seemed to play pretty solid ball down the stretch, except for that hitting slump at the very end of the season. I don't know enough about his game-calling ability or his personal relationship with the pitchers to comment on that aspect of the game. I always hate inconsistency behind the plate though- I rather see the same two guys back there for extended periods of time. I thought AJ and Big Ben would have been a solid combination this year.

Brian26
03-30-2005, 12:41 PM
-Sox coaches were unhappy with the shape Davis was in when he reported to camp, also he has had limited action in ST games because he is recovering from some kind of hand injury

-Sox management happy with Widger's defensive ability and experience which is why he has the inside track to be the backup catcher

-Levine not sure whether the Sox will have to pay some of Ben's salary but they will definitely save money in the deal. Sox management feels $1.1 million is too much to pay for a backup catcher.

Fair enough. I heard Levine's comments about the Ben's shape last night on MJH.

MisterB
03-30-2005, 12:46 PM
Well, he's perfect in the post-season - 4 AB, 4 K...

I agree, why not Burke who also gives you a bat that can PH off the bench?

Because you rarely PH your 2nd string catcher if you don't have a 3rd string on the roster. The only times Burke PH last year were when he WAS the 3rd string catcher.

Flight #24
03-30-2005, 12:50 PM
Because you rarely PH your 2nd string catcher if you don't have a 3rd string on the roster. The only times Burke PH last year were when he WAS the 3rd string catcher.

True. Given that backup catchers play more regualrly than other backups, I'd rather go with the guy who's going to give the best play as a 30-40 game starter than the guy who might be better as a PH 10x/yr.

balke
03-30-2005, 12:51 PM
I kinda like this move, I was looking at his salary last night, and he was one of the big overpays that stood out.

I don't think Widger or Burke are going to be better necessarilly, but they won't be much worse for the money.

skottyj242
03-30-2005, 12:52 PM
I don't know if this has been brought up yet but I know that Ben Davis speaks spanish fluently...considering sixty percent of our starting rotation is from south of the border isn't that a vote to keep him?

34 Inch Stick
03-30-2005, 12:52 PM
I'm glad to hear AJ is sticking around. I hope things work out really well and maybe we can keep him around another couple years after this year. I doubt we will get too much in return for Big Ben, but hopefully Kenny will get some more money to mess around with too.

During the winter, Levine relayed a conversation he had with KW regarding Iguichi. They were talking about why SB production in Japan could not be reproduced in the US. KW told Levine about the relative level of catching talent being poor. However, Levine reported that KW said there was one Japanese catcher of particular note who would be looking to make the move to the US in 06. Since AJ was only signed for 1 year guaranteed, I got the impression that KW would be looking hard at the Japanese catcher.

PorkChopExpress
03-30-2005, 12:53 PM
Why would you pick Widger over Burke?

Exactly what I was thinking. What is it gonna take for Burke to prove his worth? Yeah, he has little experience in the majors, but he came up last year and did his part, and it seems he has managed to carry that straight through ST. I like the guy, give him the shot he deserves.

NonetheLoaiza
03-30-2005, 12:57 PM
Exactly what I was thinking. What is it gonna take for Burke to prove his worth? Yeah, he has little experience in the majors, but he came up last year and did his part, and it seems he has managed to carry that straight through ST. I like the guy, give him the shot he deserves.

Burke for president...I would rather have Burke get his shot before Widger. I liked what Burke has done with the Sox...

RockRaines
03-30-2005, 01:01 PM
Widger wouldnt clear waivers because he isnt on the roster and he havent bought his contract yet, so they can send down Burke and not lose any players, since he has options left. I think if we have a choice of Ben batting .250 at 1 million dollars, or Widger batting .250 for much less, I would pick Widger. Plus Widger is better defensively than Burke and that is a quality that you look for in a backup

voodoochile
03-30-2005, 01:19 PM

I knew that...:redface:

I mean really... I did... sigh...

SoxxoS
03-30-2005, 01:23 PM
I just think KW can't go more than 3 months without trading or signing someone...its like his heroin.

A. Cavatica
03-30-2005, 01:29 PM
Any info on where Davis will go? IIRC there was a rumor that the Sox shopped Burke to Colorado, but Colorado wanted someone younger. Perhaps that's Davis.

Mohoney
03-30-2005, 01:30 PM
Am I the only guy who's a little disappointed that they're not keeping Davis as a backup?

I would rather give Davis a shot than keep Chris Widger.

daveeym
03-30-2005, 01:33 PM
Burkes getting screwed. I think he's gotta be getting out of options though so maybe they just want to see a bit more of widger and burke is in the hunt for later in the season.

fuzzy_patters
03-30-2005, 01:34 PM
Widger wouldnt clear waivers because he isnt on the roster and he havent bought his contract yet, so they can send down Burke and not lose any players, since he has options left. I think if we have a choice of Ben batting .250 at 1 million dollars, or Widger batting .250 for much less, I would pick Widger. Plus Widger is better defensively than Burke and that is a quality that you look for in a backup

Good point. I had not considered that angle. Catchers get hurt a lot, so it would probably be a good move to keep Widger. That way you have Burke available when someone gets hurt.

DrCrawdad
03-30-2005, 01:35 PM
I knew the Sox were saying that Davis had some injury but I still wondered why all the playing time for Widger. I guess my questions are, is Widger a good to very good defensive catcher? What are the Sox getting in return for Davis?

I wonder if that report in MN about AJ being shopped was a case where someone heard that the Sox were shopping a catcher and that somewhere along the grapevine someone assumed it must be AJ.

DaleJRFan
03-30-2005, 01:36 PM
I just think KW can't go more than 3 months without trading or signing someone...its like his heroin.

good one... :roflmao:

I like Burke, he has earned it. Let him play.

DrCrawdad
03-30-2005, 01:42 PM
Just curious...

When LeVineLine made this report, did he say if he was in Tucson or in Mesa with the Cubbies?

http://images.radcity.net/5176/584831.jpg
I'm Bruce LeVineLine covering the White Sox from Mesa.

Banix12
03-30-2005, 01:43 PM
I don't know if this has been brought up yet but I know that Ben Davis speaks spanish fluently...considering sixty percent of our starting rotation is from south of the border isn't that a vote to keep him?

I always think the importance of this is overblown. Did Mike Piazza speak Japanese when Nomo came into the league? That seemed to work ok. I'm sure there have been plenty of non-spanish speaking catchers who have caught spanish speaking pitchers. They seem to understand at least the same basic baseball terminology to get by.

As for the Davis matter...

Davis sucks, get rid of him. I would rather have Burke but if I had to pick one of the catchers with veteran experience, I would take Widger. If you look at Davis' stats he has been progressively getting worse over the last three years both offensively and defensively. Widger isn't a great player, and he doesn't have Davis' "potential" (baseball speak for hasn't done squat, bad for a six year veteran) but he's a capable backup who is better prepared as a player to sit on the bench for long periods of time and do a solid job behind the plate when called.

usually in the past, when Davis' has had to sit on the bench for long periods of time as a backup catcher, his bat gets worse and his game calling gets sloppy. That's why he lost his backup job to Pat Borders in Seattle. He never showed enough behind the plate to overtake Dan Wilson, despite them handing davis the job on numerous occasions, and he just got worse when you put him on the bench.

anewman35
03-30-2005, 01:52 PM

Isn't this basically KW's job? What GM ever goes more than 3 months without trading or signing somebody?

maurice
03-30-2005, 01:54 PM
I suppose that this would be a good time to point out that Burke is a 33-year-old career minor leaguer with only 133 MLB ABs. His career minor-league average is .270-something. Please don't expect that he will continue to hit .300+ in MLB.

Widger is not a great hitter either, but he's the same age as Burke and has more than ten times more MLB ABs. There's a reason for this discrepancy.

Banix12
03-30-2005, 01:59 PM
I suppose that this would be a good time to point out that Burke is a 33-year-old career minor leaguer with only 133 MLB ABs. His career minor-league average is .270-something. Please don't expect that he will continue to hit .300+ in MLB.

I don't really expect him to hit .333 his whole career, however Ben Davis has had 6 years to prove he can hit in the majors. Final Verdict: No.

Burke has had about half a season to prove he can hit in the majors. Final Verdict: Maybe, definitely better than Davis.

Davis is still living off the reputation he had when he got drafted #2 overall out of high school. That was ten years ago, and he still has yet to show anything based on that potential

Ol' No. 2
03-30-2005, 02:02 PM

Widger is not a great hitter either, but he's the same age as Burke and has more than ten times more MLB ABs. There's a reason for this discrepancy.Widger is a career .242 hitter. The highest he has ever hit is .264 in 1999. How is lots of bad experience a better recommendation than 133 good MLB AB? I'd say Burke has A LOT better chance of hitting above .275 than Widger.

soxtalker
03-30-2005, 02:09 PM

KW has made a number of moves that I haven't cared for over the years, but trading is exactly what he should be doing now. Teams have gone through ST and know where their strengths and weaknesses are. So this should be one of the most trading-active times of the year. I wouldn't be surprised if Willie Harris is dealt somewhere also.

mcfish
03-30-2005, 02:09 PM
For all the people wondering why Widger over Burke, maybe this is a rather new development that the Sox didn't really plan for and are looking at the situation as it is today. Burke was waived and cleared waivers weeks ago. He can go to Charlotte no problem. Widger will probably not clear waivers, as stated earlier in this thread. They might want both, and keeping Widger up is the best way to have that until further notice.

tlebar318
03-30-2005, 02:14 PM
I just read online in the Tampa Tribune that A.J. is "on the trading block" and that the D-rays are interested....Dumb media! Assume that it is A.J. because we have a catcher about to be traded---and to the D-rays? :o:

DaleJRFan
03-30-2005, 02:22 PM
I just read online in the Tampa Tribune that A.J. is "on the trading block" and that the D-rays are interested....Dumb media! Assume that it is A.J. because we have a catcher about to be traded---and to the D-rays? :o:

This just in... White Sox send Ben Davis and cash considerations to the Devil Rays for 3B/1B Aubrey Huff...

Banix12
03-30-2005, 02:24 PM
I wonder if the reason why they would chose Widger over Burke or Davis is that Widger seems to have gotten more work with the pitchers this preseason than either of the other two, and seems to have done a decent job with the pitchers as well.

I also think they'd like Burke to work on his infield defense a little bit and would rather him do that in AAA.

I just wonder what team would be interested in trading for Davis, a backup catcher with an injured hand who is a career .230 hitter coming off his worst season. Again we paid him a million why?

jake27
03-30-2005, 02:26 PM
Widger is a career .242 hitter. The highest he has ever hit is .264 in 1999. How is lots of bad experience a better recommendation than 133 good MLB AB? I'd say Burke has A LOT better chance of hitting above .275 than Widger.

took the words right out of my mouth. i want burke

maurice
03-30-2005, 02:31 PM
Widger = .242 AVE + good glove + good handling of pitchers + very small contract = very solid backup catcher, not "lots of bad experience." It's not like he's a 1B or something.

I'd say Burke has A LOT better chance of hitting above .275 than Widger.

Based on 133 ABs?!? There's no other objective reason to give Burke an edge. Their AAA numbers are similar and, at this rate, Burke might not get too many more MLB ABs.

Moreover, if he were a good defensive catcher, Burke would have had a lot more than 133 MLB ABs at the age of 33. Widger has had much more than a cup of coffee in MLB, probably because he's good defensively and adequate offensively for a catcher.

I stand by my contention that this move is all about Widger's good defense and Davis' bad contract.

MisterB
03-30-2005, 02:31 PM
Widger is a career .242 hitter. The highest he has ever hit is .264 in 1999. How is lots of bad experience a better recommendation than 133 good MLB AB? I'd say Burke has A LOT better chance of hitting above .275 than Widger.

Burke has a .279 average for his minor league career. I doubt either one of them would hit .275+ this year.

The_Cheesiest_Idiot
03-30-2005, 02:32 PM
burke is already out of options. they had to designate him for assignment when they signed aj. i'm not sure how the process works after that but i know he cleared waivers and the sox signed or retained him.

soxtalker
03-30-2005, 02:34 PM
I just wonder what team would be interested in trading for Davis, a backup catcher with an injured hand who is a career .230 hitter coming off his worst season. Again we paid him a million why?

Well, we'll know soon enough. However, I'm not so sure that he'll be viewed strictly as a back-up catcher. He probably would have been our starting catcher if KW hadn't been able to land AJ. (We weren't paying him over $1MM to sit on the bench.) He seemed to make some strides here last year, and there are probably several teams that need starting catchers to take the risk with his offensive record.

Sad
03-30-2005, 02:36 PM
Just curious...

When LeVineLine made this report, did he say if he was in Tucson or in Mesa with the Cubbies?

thought he said he was in Phoenix to watch Kerry Wood pitch today... I'm assuming the game's in Mesa?

let the bashing commence...

DaleJRFan
03-30-2005, 02:38 PM
If he is so bad, has such an expensive contract and no one seemingly wants a 3rd string catcher for 1.1million, why not just release him and take the losses??

Ol' No. 2
03-30-2005, 02:39 PM
burke is already out of options. they had to designate him for assignment when they signed aj. i'm not sure how the process works after that but i know he cleared waivers and the sox signed or retained him.It may be no more complex than that. Burke has already cleared waivers, Widger hasn't.

Tekijawa
03-30-2005, 02:39 PM
This just in... White Sox send Ben Davis and cash considerations to the Devil Rays for 3B/1B Aubrey Huff...

If Tampa is interested in Davis and maybe if we throw in Crede it might be right up their Alley for Cheap and or Young Talent. Huff should have a faily large paycheck coming to him soon?!!??!

tlebar318
03-30-2005, 02:42 PM
Actually the Tampa paper was saying AJ not Davis...

DaleJRFan
03-30-2005, 02:49 PM
If Tampa is interested in Davis and maybe if we throw in Crede it might be right up their Alley for Cheap and or Young Talent. Huff should have a faily large paycheck coming to him soon?!!??!

As much as I would love to have Aubrey Huff on the south side, he isn't a very good defensive third basemen and we already have 3 outstanding first basemen. I guess if the guy is hitting 315 with 32 HR and 115 RBIs I could stand average defense at the hot corner.

I find it hard to believe that the Devil Rays would give up Huff for Crede/Davis. That's assuming they would even want those two guys. Rumor at the beginning of spring training is that Tampa is expecting a lot of their starting catcher this season as they have pretty high expectations for him. We'd likely have to throw in Honel, Tracey or (gulp) McCarthy and that ain't gunna happen.

Hangar18
03-30-2005, 02:50 PM
thought he said he was in Phoenix to watch Kerry Wood pitch today... I'm assuming the game's in Mesa?

Last week, Bruce Levineline gave John Rooney his itinerary for the rest of
the week, and he reported that it was a tough one for him, whether to watch
Buehrle pitch or Wood/Prior pitch and he sided with watching Wood/Prior.
He said he was going to watch 2 sox games, then the rest would cover the North Side Corporation.
Translation: Levineline watches 5 games during the week cub, 2 games Sox.
Hes a cub-lover

DaleJRFan
03-30-2005, 02:53 PM

In regard to his salary, I do believe he is up for free agency at the end of this season. He already makes a lot as it is (and deservingly so). According to dugout dollars, Aubrey has 4.5million coming his way this season and the team has a 7.5million option for next season (is this true????)

voodoochile
03-30-2005, 03:01 PM
Let's break it down...

There is now NO reason for AJ not to start 135+ games this season. Not that there was a GOOD reason before, but at least any idea that the backup catcher deserves 40% of the starts is gone.

This pretty much forces Ozzie's hand AND shuts up the fans who honestly think there are other options on the team as good or close to as good as AJ at catcher.

Locking in the starter and handing him the staff for the next 6 months is a good thing. The Sox haven't had a situation like that since Fisk left.

mdep524
03-30-2005, 03:03 PM
As much as I would love to have Aubrey Huff on the south side, he isn't a very good defensive third basemen and we already have 3 outstanding first basemen. I guess if the guy is hitting 315 with 32 HR and 115 RBIs I could stand average defense at the hot corner.

I find it hard to believe that the Devil Rays would give up Huff for Crede/Davis. That's assuming they would even want those two guys. Rumor at the beginning of spring training is that Tampa is expecting a lot of their starting catcher this season as they have pretty high expectations for him. We'd likely have to throw in Honel, Tracey or (gulp) McCarthy and that ain't gunna happen. I would gladly throw Honel or Tracey in that trade. Ain't gonna happen though.

CWSGuy406
03-30-2005, 03:06 PM
Let's break it down...

There is now NO reason for AJ not to start 135+ games this season. Not that there was a GOOD reason before, but at least any idea that the backup catcher deserves 40% of the starts is gone.

This pretty much forces Ozzie's hand AND shuts up the fans who honestly think there are other options on the team as good or close to as good as AJ at catcher.

Locking in the starter and handing him the staff for the next 6 months is a good thing. The Sox haven't had a situation like that since Fisk left.

Great post, voodoo.

I also think we should look at the teams that need a catcher/backup catcher.

Colorado immediately comes to mind, as does Tampa Bay and the Dodgers. Can anyone think of any other teams?

Shorty1983
03-30-2005, 03:08 PM
[QUOTE= Call me crazy, but I think Ben Davis will go on to become a solid major league catcher.[/QUOTE]

Okay your beyond crazy. Ben Davis will never reach his so-called potential at his age. Good move on Kenny, I knew something was up with Davis not playing enough games in ST. Hopefully we found a sucker who wants this guy and we get a descent prospect and some change.

Tekijawa
03-30-2005, 03:08 PM
Great post, voodoo.

Colorado immediately comes to mind, as does Tampa Bay and the Dodgers. Can anyone think of any other teams?

I think Davis would thrive in Colorado! Maybe for Back up infielder Arron Miles?:)

CWSGuy406
03-30-2005, 03:14 PM
I think Davis would thrive in Colorado! Maybe for Back up infielder Arron Miles?:)

Personally, I'd love for the Sox to grab Jeff Francis...

(OK -- so I should've put it in pink... :D: )

DumpJerry
03-30-2005, 03:29 PM
Okay your beyond crazy. Ben Davis will never reach his so-called potential at his age. Good move on Kenny, I knew something was up with Davis not playing enough games in ST. Hopefully we found a sucker who wants this guy and we get a descent prospect and some change.
Here's hoping the "sucker" does not read WSI..............

santo=dorf
03-30-2005, 03:30 PM
No, he's a switch batter. You need to get a hit to qualify as a hitter.
Damn, I was too late. :redneck

DrCrawdad
03-30-2005, 03:30 PM

Yeah, big surprise there. On Monday when the Sox have their home opener I expect Bruce LeVineLine to be in Arizona covering the Cubs opener.

santo=dorf
03-30-2005, 03:33 PM
Isn't this basically KW's job? What GM ever goes more than 3 months without trading or signing somebody?
:schueler

wdelaney72
03-30-2005, 03:36 PM
Widger or Burke... I don't care.

Davis, on the other hand, sucks. Those of you in his corner are only remembering the small streak he put together last year when he first came to Chicago. He levelled off, ending up with less than impressive numbers.

With the White Sox
160 AB
6 HR
16 RBI
.231 BA
.276 OBP
49 SO
9 BB

I don't have the numbers to back it up, but I seem to recall Burke's related pitching stats to be SIGNIFFICANTLY better than Davis. If someone has this, please share.

I like both Widger and Burke over Davis. Good luck to Ben wherever he goes.

SABRSox
03-30-2005, 03:44 PM
Great post, voodoo.

Tampa Bay is dealing for Charles Johnson of Colorado. I thought they were going to wait until Colorado released him, but I guess the New York Mets had some interest in him too, so the D-Rays are going to deal with Colorado to get him. I doubt they have any interest in Davis at this point.

The Dodgers don't need a catcher with the Phillips/Ishii trade.

Colorado is going to go with the rookie J.D. Closser starting, and though they have backups in their system, may be on the market for a Davis-like player as insurance.

So that pretty much leaves the Rockies and Mets.

wdelaney72
03-30-2005, 03:49 PM
Tampa Bay is dealing for Charles Johnson of Colorado. I thought they were going to wait until Colorado released him, but I guess the New York Mets had some interest in him too, so the D-Rays are going to deal with Colorado to get him. I doubt they have any interest in Davis at this point.

The Dodgers don't need a catcher with the Phillips/Ishii trade.

Colorado is going to go with the rookie J.D. Closser starting, and though they have backups in their system, may be on the market for a Davis-like player as insurance.

So that pretty much leaves the Rockies and Mets.

I'd say the Mets, but Davis would need to be making $4 million a year for the Mets to want him. This is the same organization that has opted to put Mike Piazza back behind the dish.

DumpJerry
03-30-2005, 03:50 PM
Tampa Bay is dealing for Charles Johnson of Colorado.
Didn't the Flubs just get him from the Brewers?

Baby Fisk
03-30-2005, 03:51 PM
I'd say the Mets, but Davis would need to be making $4 million a year for the Mets to want him. This is the same organization that has opted to put Mike Piazza back behind the dish.

The Mets traded away Jason Phillips to get Ishii for their rotation. They are looking for a catcher. Maybe we could sneak off with David Wright.

santo=dorf
03-30-2005, 03:57 PM
Didn't the Flubs just get him from the Brewers?
The other former Sox catcher named Johnson, Mark, was traded to the scrubs.

Ol' No. 2
03-30-2005, 03:59 PM
The Mets traded away Jason Phillips to get Ishii for their rotation. They are looking for a catcher. Maybe we could sneak off with David Wright.Maybe we can trade Davis for Wilson Valdez.:tongue:

HITMEN OF 77
03-30-2005, 04:10 PM
I for one am happy to see Davis gone. he had a good month and half with us when he came over then nothing. Burke should be back up, we don't need another ex Peattle M's catcher as backup. Burke deserves to be backup and at least he can hit.

Banix12
03-30-2005, 04:15 PM
The Mets traded away Jason Phillips to get Ishii for their rotation. They are looking for a catcher. Maybe we could sneak off with David Wright.

The mets traded Phillips because they didn't have a place to play him and he was too valuable a player to sit on the bench for 130 games behind Piazza. They used his trade value and got a pretty good pitcher. They just signed Kelly Stinnett to ride the pine behind Piazza. I find it unlikely they'll shell out the players and the money to bring in Davis to play 30 games when they seem to have an experienced veteran to fill that job. Especially one day after they just signed a catcher.

SABRSox
03-30-2005, 04:21 PM
They just signed Kelly Stinnett to ride the pine behind Piazza. I find it unlikely they'll shell out the players and the money to bring in Davis to play 30 games when they seem to have an experienced veteran to fill that job. Especially one day after they just signed a catcher.

If I'm not mistaken, I think they sent Stinnett to AAA, and are using Ramon Castro as their backup. Unless they don't like either of those guys, I'd agree they'd have no reason to want Davis.

Considering he has a torn ligament in his right hand, I don't see how Davis has any value whatsoever. If KW can do anything to unload his contract, or a portion of it, he'd better do it.

But then again, I guess trading backup catchers is all the rage in baseball today. The Dodgers just sent David Ross to the Pirates.

Baby Fisk
03-30-2005, 04:24 PM
The mets traded Phillips because they didn't have a place to play him and he was too valuable a player to sit on the bench for 130 games behind Piazza. They used his trade value and got a pretty good pitcher. They just signed Kelly Stinnett to ride the pine behind Piazza. I find it unlikely they'll shell out the players and the money to bring in Davis to play 30 games when they seem to have an experienced veteran to fill that job. Especially one day after they just signed a catcher.

Thx -- I missed that signing.

Banix12
03-30-2005, 04:39 PM
The teams I think might be interested in Davis, even though I think he has no trade value with the injured hand, would be Florida, Arizona, KC, Tampa, and Toronto.

Florida doesn't really have a backup behind Lo Duca, with only a couple of guys who are essentially rookies behind him.

All the catchers on Arizona have almost no major league experience, though they seem fine with that.

KC has the one guy they got from Houston, John Buck, and not much behind him. A couple of aging veterans but nobody you would want on the field if Buck falters.

Tampa definitely could use a catcher, but seem intent on waiting for Johnson to be thrown on waivers. Johnson on waivers is cheaper than Davis through trade.

Toronto has the two headed monster of aging vets Greg Myers and Greg Zaun. They don't seem to have any young catchers coming soon on the horizon. Might have an interest in somebody with "potential".

I don't really think the Rockies have a lot of interest. They seem happy with Closser and Greene behind the plate and they are probably going to end up waiving Johnson's big contract. Since they are willing to pay an average player to not play for them, why would they spend the extra million on one with a injured hand.

If I had to bet, Toronto would be my pick with Arizona or Florida right behind them.

Baby Fisk
03-30-2005, 04:48 PM
Toronto has Zaun as starter and journeyman Ken Huckaby tapped for the backup role. There have been rumours in the Toronto media this week that Myers might retire.

soxfan43
03-30-2005, 05:02 PM
I see this thread has been going since the morning, is this trade actually going down or is Levine spending too much time with the cubs and not getting his sox info right?

Unregistered
03-30-2005, 05:21 PM
rumours:D:

Knucksie
03-30-2005, 05:35 PM
I heard the report this morning, and here is what I remember from what Levine said:

Maybe they could dump him on the flubbies. They have a great record for paying big bucks to no-hit back up catchers. Davis would be a real bargain compared to Blanco.

:dtroll:

Knucksie
03-30-2005, 05:41 PM
I always think the importance of this is overblown. Did Mike Piazza speak Japanese when Nomo came into the league? That seemed to work ok. I'm sure there have been plenty of non-spanish speaking catchers who have caught spanish speaking pitchers. They seem to understand at least the same basic baseball terminology to get by.

How many fingers does a catcher flash for a fastball if the pitcher speaks spanish?

:tongue:

MisterB
03-30-2005, 05:59 PM
How many fingers does a catcher flash for a fastball if the pitcher speaks spanish?

:tongue:

Uno.

Chisox003
03-30-2005, 06:01 PM
This is pretty sad guys....

99 posts and counting on who....Big BEN DAVIS?!? Ewww

Cmon season, where are you!! (The trade STILL hasnt happened :rolleyes: )

Fredsox
03-30-2005, 06:09 PM
This is pretty sad guys....

99 posts and counting on who....Big BEN DAVIS?!? Ewww

Cmon season, where are you!! (The trade STILL hasnt happened :rolleyes: )

Seriously.

skobabe8
03-30-2005, 06:15 PM
Burke for president...I would rather have Burke get his shot before Widger. I liked what Burke has done with the Sox...

Ive been ok with Burke, too, but just watching ST games in person the last month, Chris Widger looked pretty good at the plate despite what his .265 avg shows. He had a few ABs where he fouled off 7-9 pitches and just battled, and I was more impressed with him than Burke, whose avg is .100 points higher. Take it for what its worth.

Ol' No. 2
03-30-2005, 06:26 PM
:tomatoaward

And still no real news. Still, it's better than last December when we went something like quintuple tomato with no real news based on a LevineLine report of Kenny and Jerry playing hide-and-seek.:(:

DrCrawdad
03-30-2005, 06:35 PM
I see this thread has been going since the morning, is this trade actually going down or is Levine spending too much time with the cubs and not getting his sox info right?

http://images.radcity.net/5176/584831.jpg
You Sox fans have no idea of the amount of time and effort I put into covering the Sox from here in Mesa.

Jerko
03-30-2005, 07:05 PM
Levine is useless. I wish I could be as bad at my job as he is at his and not get fired.

Banix12
03-30-2005, 07:06 PM
I'm beginning to think Levine just throws these rumors out there to watch this board explode. How much time did we all waste on the Wes Helms thing a few weeks ago?

Joosh
03-30-2005, 07:40 PM
Part of me hopes this does go through in the fact that we might be able to get a decent prospect for him.

However, I did get a chance to attend his catching seminar at SOXFEST and got his autograph. Both times he came off as great guy who wants to help the team whether he's a starter or a back-up. I admit that I would be disappointed if he were to leave. Even without the bat hes a good back-up (Maybe not for 1 mil though).

Wherever he goes, or whether he stays here, I wish him the best of luck either way.

gogosoxtimebaby
03-30-2005, 10:24 PM
wow you guys bruce levine is an idiot don't listen hes a mediocer radio guy that makes up stuff to get people to listen to him.

Jjav829
03-31-2005, 12:42 AM
Part of me hopes this does go through in the fact that we might be able to get a decent prospect for him.

Ben Davis is not worth a decent prospect. If he was traded, it would have only been for a PTBN or some career minor-leaguer type (see: Berry, Jon).

gosox41
03-31-2005, 06:45 PM
I'm beginning to think Levine just throws these rumors out there to watch this board explode. How much time did we all waste on the Wes Helms thing a few weeks ago?

At least we know how much value Davis has around the league. Didn't Davis clear waivers? Not one team claimed him?

That says a lot. Good thing KW decided he was worth a 7 figure salary.

Bob

santo=dorf
03-31-2005, 07:33 PM
At least we know how much value Davis has around the league. Didn't Davis clear waivers? Not one team claimed him?

That says a lot. Good thing KW decided he was worth a 7 figure salary.

Bob
Just when I thought you finally removed your lips from the Chairman's behind, you make a post like this.
He actually took a pay cut from 1.4 million, so it was the Mariners who decided he was worth 7 figures.

I have asked all of the bashers of Timo's and Davis' salaries "why does it matter how much money they are making?" The Sox have filled up their holes, and raised the payroll.

Why do you worry if Reinsdorf and Co. are spending too much money on the team? :?:

BTW, LMAO@ the new title of the thread. :thumbsup:

balke
03-31-2005, 08:07 PM
He actually took a pay cut from 1.4 million, so it was the Mariners who decided he was worth 7 figures.

You must've forgotten, its a good idea when other teams over pay their staff.

One week away, and about 3 KW bash threads after a silent spring. White Sox baseball is just around the corner.

BTW, after the complete face lift, and massive hole plugging that kept us under budget for a move midseason, KW better get some respect when we take 1st in the Central.

JRIG
03-31-2005, 08:43 PM
BTW, LMAO@ the new title of the thread. :thumbsup:

All in a day's work...:cool: