PDA

View Full Version : How long should Frank play in the Minors?

brewcrew/chisox
03-30-2005, 09:31 AM
Reports on ESPN radio say that KW wants Frank to take 100 pitches of minor league ball before being called up. Sounds like a bit too long to me.

Ol' No. 2
03-30-2005, 09:32 AM
Reports on ESPN radio say that KW wants Frank to take 100 pitches of minor league ball before being called up. Sounds like a bit too long to me.No offense, but if Frank says he needs 100 pitches, I'll take his judgement over yours.

samram
03-30-2005, 09:35 AM
No offense, but if Frank says he needs 100 pitches, I'll take his judgement over yours.

Not to mention, 100 pitches for Frank is about a week's worth of at-bats. If all he needs is a week, give it to him and let him tune up his swing before he comes back to the big league club.

brewcrew/chisox
03-30-2005, 09:37 AM
I don't know if that's Frank saying that he needs 100 pitches. This is KW saying this. Although I'm sure if Frank wants to come up, he'll get to come up. HOFamers usually get that respect. I just want to see him up earlier. 100 pitches could be another month before he returns.

edit: sorry, my math is bad; a week or two should do it.

Ol' No. 2
03-30-2005, 09:38 AM
I don't know if that's Frank saying that he needs 100 pitches. This is KW saying this. Although I'm sure if Frank wants to come up, he'll get to come up. HOFamers usually get that respect. I just want to see him up earlier. 100 pitches could be another month before he returns.100 pitches = 1 month???

Must be new math.

brewcrew/chisox
03-30-2005, 09:41 AM
ha,
you got me before I could change my post. Got to be quick around here.

jabrch
03-30-2005, 09:47 AM
100 pitches? That's nothing. Remember opening day last year? Didn't Frank have a 20+ pitch AB? I remember being at O'Tooles watching it and being absolutely shocked at how many pitches Frank saw in that one AB - against Anderson, I think...

100 pitches could be a 4 game series for Frank.

DMarte708
03-30-2005, 09:47 AM
Can anyone else sense the "Sox organization disgraces Frank" stories being written in the media?

We've seen how this town yearns to report rifts between management and Frank, and well, this story seems to have all the credentials off another Media-troll exclusive:

"Frank, how you do feel, as a likely Hall of Famer, being asked to have 100 pitches before joining the club? Don't you find this disrespectful?"

Flight #24
03-30-2005, 09:55 AM
Reports I've seen say it's actually 100 ABs, not 100 pitches. Which is where the 1month timeline comes from (assume 5 ABs/game, 100ABs = 20 games).

Of course, I think that if Frank's mashing the ball & getting on base in the first 5-10 games and is playing without pain, he'll be up. IMO this is just KW setting expectations low.

MRKARNO
03-30-2005, 09:56 AM
Correction: It wasn't 100 pitches, but rather 100 at bats. That would likely take up nearly one month.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-doug30.html

REVISED PLAN: General manager Ken Williams now is saying he wants Thomas to have at least 100 at-bats on a minor-league rehabilitation assignment before returning from the disabled list. Thomas had been saying a minor-league stint was only a possibility.

If Thomas can get four at-bats a game -- which would mean no setbacks in his rehab from a surgically repaired left ankle -- it would take him a month to collect the preparation time the Sox want. Thomas is aiming at a likely trip to Class AAA Charlotte in mid-April.

mjharrison72
03-30-2005, 09:59 AM
I saw 100 AB as well... that did seem long, but I highly doubt they are going to stick very carefully to this arbitrary number. I give him two weeks or so in the minors before the situation is re-evaluated. I think Frank is the best judge of how he's feeling, but it's also important he's not in real games potentially compromising the team's ability to win becuse he's nowhere close to 100%. The concern sounds like it's over his ability to run, not swing the bat, so he should probably take his time and come up when everyone thinks he's ready. Here's to hoping for a healthy rehab stint! :gulp:

samram
03-30-2005, 10:15 AM
Thomas is aiming at a likely trip to Class AAA Charlotte in mid-April.

Looks like I just found a reason to attend some Knights games.

jabrch
03-30-2005, 10:17 AM
I'm sure they will be cautious, but when he is ready, I don't think they will wait to see him hit some arbitrarily selected number of ABs.

I'd love to see him back by May 1, and ready to hit.

MeanFish
03-30-2005, 10:18 AM
Me too!

mccombe_35
03-30-2005, 10:22 AM
100 minor league at bats? ***? Not liking this idea, Kenny.

Every game with Frank in the lineup gives them a better chance to win. I say the sooner he's back the better.

harwar
03-30-2005, 10:31 AM
Kenny said 100,Frank is using the number 50.
I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

mccombe_35
03-30-2005, 10:31 AM
"I don't know if I need 100 at-bats," said Thomas to MLB.com, mentioning that the idea makes sense to him after not playing for 8 1/2 months. "We will see. Normally, about 50 and I'm fine. Fifty good at-bats. But whatever it takes. "The difference is when I go to Charlotte and start, I'll be getting four (at-bats) per night. In Spring Training, I normally get two. Once they see me swinging the bat like I'm going to swing the bat, I'll be out of there. I just have to get my timing, hitting the ball on the screws."

RKMeibalane
03-30-2005, 01:04 PM
I don't think Frank is going to need that much time. Herm Scnieder has already stated several times that the only reason Frank won't be ready by Opening Day is because he hasn't been able to run at full speed, yet. I would expect Thomas to spend about a week with Charlotte and then rejoin the club, especially if the Sox offense has problems coming out of the gate.

Deadguy
03-30-2005, 05:15 PM
100 ABs is a bit ridiculous. If he's healthy enough to be getting that many at bats in the minors, there's no reason he can't be playing for the White Sox.

RKMeibalane
03-30-2005, 05:55 PM
100 ABs is a bit ridiculous. If he's healthy enough to be getting that many at bats in the minors, there's no reason he can't be playing for the White Sox.

I think Williams may not realize that, as I mentioned earlier, the only reason Frank isn't ready right now has nothing to do with his hitting. Once Frank is able to move and run at full speed, he'll be fine.

santo=dorf
03-30-2005, 06:34 PM
Correction: It wasn't 100 pitches, but rather 100 at bats. That would likely take up nearly one month.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-doug30.html

[b]

Kenny is just burying Frank so Ross Gload can get more playing time!!!

PAPChiSox729
03-30-2005, 07:21 PM
I agree that 100 ABs is a bit long. But I would rather have Frank in the minors with Everett DHing. I don't want to rush Frank up here and watch him struggle. Plus, Carl is having a great ST, so having him in the lineup to start the season may not be that bad of a thing.

MRKARNO
03-30-2005, 07:29 PM
I agree that 100 at bats is way too much. If Frank wants 50 then I think he should have 50. If he wanted only 20 then I think he should only have 20. He knows himself a lot better than Kenny Williams does.

BTW if it were really only 100 pitches, you just know Frank would find a way to get through that in the span of about 10 plate appearances. :D:

:hurt
"I've got a few 15 pitch at bats up my sleeve"

StepsInSC
03-30-2005, 09:26 PM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20050329&content_id=980296&vkey=spt2005news&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

But because of his long layoff after fracturing the navicular in his left ankle last June, and the subsequent October surgery, the 15-year veteran will get a chance in 2005 to see South Carolina in all of its spring glory. In Tuesday's edition of The Daily Herald, Ken Williams expressed the desire to send Thomas on a minor league rehabilitation assignment in mid-April.

Since when did they move Charlotte to South Carolina?

shoota
03-30-2005, 09:39 PM
I'm sure KW will listen to Frank when Frank tells him he's ready. KW just wanted to give a very conservative timeline for Frank's return so as not to rush Frank.

KW knows how valuable Frank is to this team, and will bring him north as soon as Frank says he's ready.

Norberto7
03-30-2005, 10:23 PM
How would KW feel if Frank still isn't hitting after either 50 or 100 ABs? What if he's hitting .230? I could only imagine at that point he really has no choice but to bring him up. Hopefully we never know.

:LTP

"How many at-bats do I get at Charlotte?"

Jjav829
03-30-2005, 11:36 PM
Until he proves he's worthy of a call-up! Does he think he's just going to go down there, hit .215 and get called up within a week? I say make the starting DH spot an open competition between Borchard and Frank! A one-week showdown to determine who deserves the spot more. :wink: