PDA

View Full Version : 35th Street Metra stop closer to reality

Frater Perdurabo
03-30-2005, 08:46 AM
(Mods - If this isn't clubhouse material, please move at your discretion)

Metra riders are poised to get a station next to U.S. Cellular Field. Through $5 million recently awarded via federal legislation, commuter trains are closer than ever to serving the White Sox home park.

U.S. Rep. Bobby Rush (D-1st), of Chicago, secured the money, along with $11 million for other projects, in the $284 billion highway and transit bill moving through Congress.

From Friday's Southtown (http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/yrtwn/swest/253swyt5.htm)

How great it would be for Sox fans in Joliet, New Lenox, Mokena, Tinley Park, Oak Forest, Midlothian, Blue Island, etc. to ride the train to catch a Sox game!
:bandance::supernana::bandance:

Would you take Metra to Sox games if it stopped at 35th Street on the East Side of the Dan Ryan?

DaveIsHere
03-30-2005, 08:50 AM
That would be sweet, and then I would be more likely to check ouot some of the bars in the neighborhood after the game.

wdelaney72
03-30-2005, 08:50 AM
I'm not a Bobby Rush fan, but this is HUGE. This could potentially help more than just the White Sox. It could be an added perk for the whole redevelopment of the South Loop area.

If this happens, I give full props to Bobby Rush.

BeerHandle
03-30-2005, 09:14 AM
This poll should be conducted by the Metra and the White Sox for the passengers that commute daily on the train and those that live in proximity to the Southside stops. I believe this would be a great tool for the Sox to keep their Southide following.

One of the keys to success is to insure that a train will arrive 20-30 minutes after the last out so riders can get back home. With that being said, the train schedule would have to be revised. Currently, the last train leaves at 8:30 pm on weekdays (I think).
SOX and METRA - DO THE RIGHT THING!:D:

Frater Perdurabo
03-30-2005, 09:15 AM
Having a stop at 35th Street will be worth, at a bare minimum in the first year it's operational, 150,000 more ticket sales. In a year when the Sox are contending, the impact will be magnified exponentially. For the folks who only go to one or two games per year, many will double or triple their annual attendance. During the week, downtown workers who live in the Southwest burbs will be more likely to catch a game on their way home. On the weekends, many more families will attend.

As wdelaney said, this also will accelerate the redevelopment of the neighborhood, especially on the east side of the Dan Ryan. More residents means more local restaurants and retail, which in turn will mean higher Sox attendance.

This station will serve to reconnect many of the Sox fans who grew up in the city, but moved to the outer burbs, back to the franchise. Folks who, for whatever reason, had an irrational fear of the neighborhood, will now have another way to get to the Cell. The redevelopment will help convince them that the neighborhood is not dangerous.

Higher attendance means more revenues, which means a higher payroll.

Its a win-win for everybody!

:cool:

Frater Perdurabo
03-30-2005, 09:17 AM
It has been said that for every person who responds to a poll, there are 100 more people who feel the same way. By that formula, we're already up to 600 people who would take Metra to a Sox game!
:bandance::supernana::bandance:

DMarte708
03-30-2005, 09:34 AM
The potential for a Metra Station positioned several blocks East of the Cell is a tremendous idea, as others have highlighted within this thread. Although I ride the Southwest Service Metra line, which passess no more than two feet off Whtie Sox property, I'd be willing to ride the Rock Island if it removed the hastle of driving to/from games during the summer.

I hope this money is destributed quickly so construction can begin. Nothing fancy is needed for these Metra platforms; just build a set of stairs, concrete ramp for passenger access, and you're done! Although I severly doubt it, wouldn't be great if this 35th street Metra stop were completed in time for the playoffs?

FightingBillini
03-30-2005, 09:41 AM
The potential for a Metra Station positioned several blocks East of the Cell is a tremendous idea, as others have highlighted within this thread. Although I ride the Southwest Service Metra line, which passess no more than two feet off Whtie Sox property, I'd be willing to ride the Rock Island if it removed the hastle of driving to/from games during the summer.

I hope this money is destributed quickly so construction can begin. Nothing fancy is needed for these Metra platforms; just build a set of stairs, concrete ramp for passenger access, and you're done! Although I severly doubt it, wouldn't be great if this 35th street Metra stop were completed in time for the playoffs?

Yeah right, they probably wouldn't even start in before the playoffs.

BeerHandle
03-30-2005, 09:43 AM
Although I ride the Southwest Service Metra line, which passess no more than two feet off Whtie Sox property, I'd be willing to ride the Rock Island if it removed the hastle of driving to/from games during the summer.

Although I severly doubt it, wouldn't it be great if this 35th street Metra stop were completed in time for the playoffs?

You will have to wait a few years for the Southwest Service Metra Line to moce to the other tracks.
-----------------------------
From the Southtown, "Metra hopes to route the SouthWest Service Line, which connects Orland Park to Chicago, to the same tracks in a few years."
-----------------------------
As much as it would be great if the Metra Stop was completed by the end of Summer, I do not see it happening. My guess is that it will be ready for next season if everything comes together. I look forward to see future developments on this potential opporunity for the Sox to grow their Southside base.

There should be a few Sox only drinking cars on the train.:gulp:

jortafan
03-30-2005, 09:43 AM
One of the keys to success is to insure that a train will arrive 20-30 minutes after the last out so riders can get back home. With that being said, the train schedule would have to be revised. Currently, the last train leaves at 8:30 pm on weekdays (I think).

According to my Metra schedule, the outbound trains during the weekdays leave LaSalle and Van Buren at 7:40 p.m., 8:45 p.m., 9:45 p.m., 10:55 p.m. and 12:30 a.m. They likely would arrive at 35th street about 10 minutes after leaving downtown.

All I know is that when I rely on Metra, I usually am able to catch that 10:55 train, provided I can get out of the stadium by about 10:10 p.m. It would be much easier if I could just catch a train at 35th street, rather than having to rely on a subway to get me back downtown up to Jackson street.

The key to this, I would think, is trying to show that such a new station would benefit the surrounding area in other ways. After all, is it worth it to build a new platform that would only be used 81 days a year, sitting idle the other 284 days?

That said, I hope they are able to do it.

Frater Perdurabo
03-30-2005, 09:46 AM

According to the story, Metra eventually wants to re-route the Southwest Service Line onto the Rock Island tracks in that area, so it too eventually would stop at the new 35th Street station on the East side of the Ryan. I don't know if that means the Southwest Service would terminate at LaSalle instead of Union Station, however.

Frater Perdurabo
03-30-2005, 09:50 AM
The key to this, I would think, is trying to show that such a new station would benefit the surrounding area in other ways. After all, is it worth it to build a new platform that would only be used 81 days a year, sitting idle the other 284 days?

Apparently it's not the Sox who are pushing for a station, but rather IIT and the Bronzeville community, who would benefit from the station year-round.

I would tend to think - and this is pure speculation on my part - Ol' Uncle Jerry might not want a station because he might think it would hurt his parking lot profits. But, he doesn't dare come out publicly against the station. Judging from the overwhelming response here so far, fans would crucify him if he was against a project that would bring more fans to games. And from a purely economic standpoint, while parking revenues might decrease, ticket sales revenues would increase to offset any loss. So, Jerry - and therefore the organization - probably is ambivalent on the station. Maybe someone with connections to the team can correct my pure speculation, however.

BeerHandle
03-30-2005, 09:54 AM
According to my Metra schedule, the outbound trains during the weekdays leave LaSalle and Van Buren at 7:40 p.m., 8:45 p.m., 9:45 p.m., 10:55 p.m. and 12:30 a.m. They likely would arrive at 35th street about 10 minutes after leaving downtown.

Good to hear about the schedule. I would imagine a little tweaking could take place on the schedule if the Metra stop is completed.

I agree with you. Neighborhood development is the key. One of my friends made a good point. The train could also be utilized for concerts to the Tweeter center. They would have to run shuttles from the DT Tinley stop to Tweeter. For all I know, they could already be doing this and I'm an idiot who sits in traffic.:dtroll:

Ol' No. 2
03-30-2005, 09:56 AM
Apparently it's not the Sox who are pushing for a station, but rather IIT and the Bronzeville community, who would benefit from the station year-round.

I would tend to think - and this is pure speculation on my part - Ol' Uncle Jerry might not want a station because he might think it would hurt his parking lot profits. But, he doesn't dare come out publicly against the station. Judging from the overwhelming response here so far, fans would crucify him if he was against a project that would bring more fans to games. And from a purely economic standpoint, while parking revenues might decrease, ticket sales revenues would increase to offset any loss. So, Jerry - and therefore the organization - probably is ambivalent on the station. Maybe someone with connections to the team can correct my pure speculation, however.

:cool:I would think the revenue from extra ticket sales would dwarf any lost parking revenue. Plus, the effect on neighborhood redevelopment would also be good for the Sox. Reinsdorf is a real estate man, so he understands this very well.

BeerHandle
03-30-2005, 09:59 AM

When Brooks was hired, I sent in the recommendation of the Metra Stop. He agreed that it would be great for the Sox Southside Faithful that have moved to the SW burbs. Trust when I say that I had nothing to do with the Metra stop. I guess Brooks looked into it and it was already being considered.

From a financial perspective, the Sox would make more money from an increase in ticket sales; an increase in beer, soda & food sales and an increase in Sox merchandise. This is good for the SOX and Uncle Jerry.

Frater Perdurabo
03-30-2005, 10:01 AM
I would think the revenue from extra ticket sales would dwarf any lost parking revenue. Plus, the effect on neighborhood redevelopment would also be good for the Sox. Reinsdorf is a real estate man, so he understands this very well.

I agree with you, I was just trying to speculate on why we haven't heard Reinsdorf come out in favor of a 35th Street stop in the past....
:?:

All I know is that if I lived in the Southwest burbs, if they put a Metra station at 35th, I'd become at a bare minimum a partial season-ticket holder. In fact, such a prospect might actually induce me to seek a job in Chicago after I finish my doctorate.

Frater Perdurabo
03-30-2005, 10:04 AM
When Brooks was hired, I sent in the recommendation of the Metra Stop. He agreed that it would be great for the Sox Southside Faithful that have moved to the SW burbs. Trust when I say that I had nothing to do with the Metra stop. I guess Brooks looked into it and it was already being considered.

From a financial perspective, the Sox would make more money from an increase in ticket sales; an increase in beer, soda & food sales and an increase in Sox merchandise. This is good for the SOX and Uncle Jerry.

As far as I am concerned, you can have the credit if this happens. FWIW, I'll buy you a cold one if this becomes a reality...

:gulp:

I wonder how much the Sox have lobbied Rep. Rush to make this a reality. Let's hope the dopes who run Washington don't remove this portion of the transportation bill when it comes up for final passage. (Hokie, can you help us out on this one?) :smile:

duke of dorwood
03-30-2005, 10:42 AM

All I know is that when I rely on Metra, I usually am able to catch that 10:55 train, provided I can get out of the stadium by about 10:10 p.m. It would be much easier if I could just catch a train at 35th street, rather than having to rely on a subway to get me back downtown up to Jackson street.

It would benefit IIt-and the new housing complex being built at 35 & State.

maurice
03-30-2005, 12:12 PM
Where's the option for "No - I always walk to Sox games"? :cool:

The stop should be a great way for Sox fans who live south of the city to get to games. However, area residents don't need it to get downtown. There are two el stations within 1/2 mile of the park. The Green Line is essentially an express train between 35th and Roosevelt.

ewokpelts
03-30-2005, 12:28 PM

Belive it or not...Gallas was championing this .
Gene

jake27
03-30-2005, 12:35 PM
i would love this. insted of me having to drive to the rosemont cta place, i could just catch the metra in barrington. a LOT less driving. i wouldnt mind the wlka either. usually after games i walk to the green like station to catch the L insted of having to be in a overcrowded red line train.

Rocky Soprano
03-30-2005, 12:58 PM
This is would be great. I used to live near the Rock Island, and would of loved to take the train after some games.

I wish it comes true.

BeerHandle
03-30-2005, 01:09 PM
Belive it or not...Gallas was championing this .
Gene

That is shocking; however, if he got the ball rolling...........all I can say is THANK YOU!

thepaulbowski
03-30-2005, 01:21 PM
Where's the option for "No - I always walk to Sox games"? :cool:

The stop should be a great way for Sox fans who live south of the city to get to games. However, area residents don't need it to get downtown. There are two el stations within 1/2 mile of the park. The Green Line is essentially an express train between 35th and Roosevelt.

If the CTA starts to cut service big time, then maybe it would become an option.

Brian26
03-30-2005, 01:22 PM
SOX and METRA - DO THE RIGHT THING!:D:

That wouldn't be a problem at all. Metra already takes care of scheduling like this with the Ravinia stops up north. After concerts during the week, there is a train waiting on the tracks right after the concert ends. And they have special trains to get you there in the early evening. The train schedule is the LEAST of the worries here.

Hitmen77
03-30-2005, 02:18 PM
This is great news and should bring more suburbanites out to the ballpark.

For those of us that live along other Metra lines going to the west and NW suburbs, it would be nice if there was a CTA express bus running from USCF to Union Station after games. But, with CTA budget cuts looming, I don't think that's likely.

Hangar18
03-30-2005, 04:12 PM
I would tend to think - and this is pure speculation on my part - Ol' Uncle Jerry might not want a station because he might think it would hurt his parking lot profits.

:reinsy "And you tend to think correctly Frater. Did you people
consider how much $$$$$$ Id be losing in Parking Revenue? If you guys
get that Station built, I'll have to Cut Payroll to make up for the loss of $$$$$. Its up to you Sox Fans. Mark Buehrle or New Metra Station!"