PDA

View Full Version : Will Brandon McCarthy pitch for the Sox this season?

SpartanSoxFan
03-30-2005, 03:28 AM
Well....what do y'all think?!?!?! I think he will be called up before the season is done...

Sargeant79
03-30-2005, 04:01 AM
I think he will be called up before the season is done...
I agree, but I think it's more likely that he'll be replacing Jose Contreras rather than Jon Garland unless Garland is traded. Contreras seems to have 'middle reliver' written all over him after the spring he's had. I hope I'm wrong, but I doubt it...he's gotten tagged pretty good a few times this spring.

California Sox
03-30-2005, 04:04 AM
I agree. Contreras is a $6 mil a year, 32 y.o. project.

BigEdWalsh
03-30-2005, 07:58 AM
McCarthy will probably be up before summer comes along because someone is bound to get injured even if it's just minor. If he's called up simply to replace someone who is failing that would most likely be Contreras. I think Garland will be alright.

Banix12
03-30-2005, 08:25 AM
I think sometime in early June we're gonna need to call up a pitcher to fill in for one game in a double header. He'll come up, pitch lights out, and end up sticking from there.

mikehuff
03-30-2005, 08:29 AM
Yeah, how could you leave off replacing Contreras as an option? I see that as about 80% possible. I'm not sure when it will happen, but I expect it to some time before the all-star break.

Sad
03-30-2005, 09:46 AM
I agree, but I think it's more likely that he'll be replacing Jose Contreras rather than Jon Garland unless Garland is traded. Contreras seems to have 'middle reliver' written all over him after the spring he's had. I hope I'm wrong, but I doubt it...he's gotten tagged pretty good a few times this spring.

I agree
more likely to replace Contreras... that guy's a basket-case

PAPChiSox729
03-30-2005, 10:28 AM
I think he will start at AAA. But then he will replace a struggling Contreras or injured El Duque. But he will be up here.

BeerHandle
03-30-2005, 10:46 AM
Well....what do y'all think?!?!?! I think he will be called up before the season is done...

This is a dumb poll because you single out Garland. If he is called up, he will replace our #3 or #4. They are the pitchers struggling. There still is a possibility that Buerhle could reinjury his foot, so that is a possibility as well.

Mark
03-30-2005, 11:10 AM
SI's Tom Verducci thinks he'll be an impact player for the Sox, and "sooner rather than later"...

Not since Albert Pujols walked into the Cardinals' camp has a young player unexpectedly created the kind of Spring Training buzz that right-handed pitcher Brandon McCarthy has for the Chicago White Sox. McCarthy, 21, may not make the Sox's Opening Day roster, but he'll be with the big club sooner rather than later after what he's done in Arizona.

"He's the next Jack McDowell," said one Sox source recently. "No, wait. He's even better. He's what Bret Saberhagen was at that age. He's another Saberhagen."

Saberhagen took the Royals to the World Series at 21. McCarthy, like McDowell and Saberhagen, is rail-thin (6-foot-7, 180 pounds) but with power stuff that belies his physique. He allowed one run in his first 15 1/3 innings before Texas hung seven runs on him in less than four innings in his most recent start.

"He can pitch," Chicago manager Ozzie Guillen said. "He'll throw 3-2 changeups. He knows what he's doing.

"I know if something happens [to one of the starting pitchers], I'll grab him. I know he can handle it. He doesn't get nervous at all. I don't care where he was last year, Rookie, Single-A, whatever. I might have brought him up last year if I knew about him then. Last year we tried about 20 different fifth starters. Nothing worked. This year, I know he's sitting there for me."

McCarthy led the minor leagues with 202 strikeouts last year, though he made only four appearances above A ball. The Sox rotation is set -- for now -- with Freddy Garcia, Mark Buehrle, Jon Garland, Orlando Hernandez and Jose Contreras. But teams rarely get through May without needing a replacement starter. And McCarthy appears too good to hold back.

daveeym
03-30-2005, 11:20 AM
I hope we don't see him at all except for a possible spot start or september call ups.

rmusacch
03-30-2005, 11:38 AM
I hope we don't see him at all except for a possible spot start or september call ups.

I agree. They don't need to rush him.

Randar68
03-30-2005, 11:42 AM

No "Replace and injured El Duque?" or "Replace and ineffective starter"

Do I think he'll be in the rotation at some point this year? Yeah. Do I think it will be one of the scenarios you laid out? No...

IMO, Polls like this are dumb. "Will BMac pitch in the majors this year?" is the question, and then the choices are basically limited, stupid, and/or don't cover the basic expected answers to the question...

maurice
03-30-2005, 01:14 PM
I think he will start at AAA. But then he will replace a struggling Contreras or injured El Duque. But he will be up here.

Ditto.

fuzzy_patters
03-30-2005, 01:21 PM
No "Replace and injured El Duque?" or "Replace and ineffective starter"

Do I think he'll be in the rotation at some point this year? Yeah. Do I think it will be one of the scenarios you laid out? No...

IMO, Polls like this are dumb. "Will BMac pitch in the majors this year?" is the question, and then the choices are basically limited, stupid, and/or don't cover the basic expected answers to the question...

Exactly right. This is why I refuse to vote in this poll. The most likely reason to call him is will be El Duque's yearly trip to the DL, but there are many other plausible reasons as well.

Mohoney
03-30-2005, 01:51 PM

I hope we see him starting Game 4 of the ALDS or ALCS.

daveeym
03-30-2005, 01:52 PM
I hope we see him starting Game 4 of the ALDS or ALCS. I'll take it, but I don't think that would be unlikely. :D:

SpartanSoxFan
03-31-2005, 03:42 PM
This is a dumb poll because you single out Garland. If he is called up, he will replace our #3 or #4. They are the pitchers struggling. There still is a possibility that Buerhle could reinjury his foot, so that is a possibility as well.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but with the high pricetag Contreras has, I don't see him going down to the minors if he struggles. I could definetely see Garland going down this year if he gives up home runs like he did last year because his contract isn't as big, and the Sox wouldn't make themselves look like idiots for sending a big money guy to the minors.

skottyj242
03-31-2005, 03:56 PM
I agree. They don't need to rush him.

Thank you so much. People need to get off this kids nuts.

maurice
03-31-2005, 04:11 PM
While the Sox won't send Contreras "down to the minors," Garland is the third-least-likely candidate to be removed from the rotation. As mentioned here and in another thread, the two most likely scenarios for McCarthy's debut are:
- Hernandez goes on the DL
- Contreras is demoted to the bullpen
The absence of these two options in the poll renders the results meaningless.

I understand that most fans don't like Garland, but he nonetheless will be a starting pitcher in MLB for many years to come -- either with the Sox or elsewhere.

DSpivack
03-31-2005, 04:31 PM
I understand that most fans don't like Garland, but he nonetheless will be a starting pitcher in MLB for many years to come -- either with the Sox or elsewhere.

I don't have a problem with Garland...just him being the 3rd starter, that's a problem. With these Sox he's not.

oeo
03-31-2005, 04:41 PM
I hope not because that means either someone goes down to injury is really suckin' it up.