PDA

View Full Version : Projected Roster Moves

DaleJRFan
03-29-2005, 09:05 PM
Anyone else see this.... Bruce Levine was on CSN today (Tribune Show??) and said we should expect the following roster moves tomorrow:

Joe Borchard
Jamie Burke
Kevin Walker
Jon Adkins

Also said Ozzie didnt have the heart to tell Adkins he didnt make the team.. made KW do the deed.

SpammySosa
03-29-2005, 09:10 PM
Anyone else see this.... Bruce Levine was on CSN today (Tribune Show??) and said we should expect the following roster moves tomorrow:

Joe Borchard
Jamie Burke
Kevin Walker
Jon Adkins

Also said Ozzie didnt have the heart to tell Adkins he didnt make the team.. made KW do the deed.

The Score reported the same,plus Brandon McCarthy.

PAPChiSox729
03-29-2005, 09:12 PM
Borchard showed some good power signs this spring, but he also had a high K total. I say you trade him while his stock is still relatively high. I still think Burke is better then Davis, but I know that Burke didn't have much of a shot from the begginning. Walker and Adkins didn't seem to do that bad but they too were long shots, especially Adkins.
Overall: No shockers or disappointments with these cuts.

mealfred13
03-29-2005, 09:12 PM
While we're on the subject, didn't Sweeny and Anderson get sent down last week? I remember distinctly that they both were sent down at the same time, but Sweeny played in today's game as a pinch hitter in the 8th inning or so...

Any clue what that's all about?

DaleJRFan
03-29-2005, 09:15 PM
While we're on the subject, didn't Sweeny and Anderson get sent down last week? I remember distinctly that they both were sent down at the same time, but Sweeny played in today's game as a pinch hitter in the 8th inning or so...

Any clue what that's all about?
They were both re-assigned to minor league camp, not optioned to minor leagues and kicked out of camp. Don't know why Sweeney played today... I was saying the same thing when he came up in the 8th...

soxwon
03-29-2005, 09:57 PM
Borchard showed some good power signs this spring, but he also had a high K total. I say you trade him while his stock is still relatively high. I still think Burke is better then Davis, but I know that Burke didn't have much of a shot from the begginning. Walker and Adkins didn't seem to do that bad but they too were long shots, especially Adkins.
Overall: No shockers or disappointments with these cuts.

Ok then when borchard hits 45 homers in a season next year.
then we will hear "you guys gave up on Borchard" from now till >>>>

balke
03-29-2005, 10:00 PM
which at best would be like saying "You guys gave up on adam Dunn" the way it looks now.

PAPChiSox729
03-29-2005, 10:02 PM
Ok then when borchard hits 45 homers in a season next year.
then we will hear "you guys gave up on Borchard" from now till >>>>
45?
:smokin: Pass some of that along!:smokin:
45 just isn't going to happen. I challenge Joe to prove me wrong.

A. Cavatica
03-29-2005, 10:07 PM
Sure, Joe will hit 45 home runs...if he gets 600 at-bats, and if all of his hits are home runs. :rolleyes:

Daver
03-29-2005, 10:16 PM
They were both re-assigned to minor league camp, not optioned to minor leagues and kicked out of camp. Don't know why Sweeney played today... I was saying the same thing when he came up in the 8th...

It is not uncommon for guys from the minor league camp to get borrowed for the day to the big league club, especillay if they are playing a B game that day.

Alanzo
03-29-2005, 11:20 PM
Just out of the blue, has Borchard ever demonstrated this kind of power in ST/AAA before? I know he was horrible last year when he played for the Sox, though I do recommend a HUGE shot in septemberish.

PAPChiSox729
03-29-2005, 11:24 PM
Just out of the blue, has Borchard ever demonstrated this kind of power in ST/AAA before? I know he was horrible last year when he played for the Sox, though I do recommend a HUGE shot in septemberish.

IIRC, that was the longest homer at the Cell/new Comiskey. With as big of a swing as Borchard has, when he does make contact, it will usually fly a long way.

dugwood31
03-29-2005, 11:28 PM
which at best would be like saying "You guys gave up on adam Dunn" the way it looks now.

I don't get this. Are you saying Dunn isn't good? If Borchard turns into Dunn I'll run throught the streets nekked. Dunn hit 46 homers, 34 doubles, and had a .382 obp. All that totals out to a .956 OPS. And he's only about 25.

Borchard was cut from his Mexican League team.

mealfred13
03-29-2005, 11:30 PM

Right that's what I meant. In any event, why's he still here? lol.

PAPChiSox729
03-29-2005, 11:31 PM
I don't get this. Are you saying Dunn isn't good? If Borchard turns into Dunn I'll run throught the streets nekked. Dunn hit 46 homers, 34 doubles, and had a .382 obp. All that totals out to a .956 OPS. And he's only about 25.

Borchard was cut from his Mexican League team.

Dunn is a very good all-or-nothing type player. Yes, he broke the record for K's in a season. But he has serious power and is still relatively young. Borchard has good power and is young, but to say that he can become an Adam Dunn caliber player is quite a stretch.

kittle42
03-29-2005, 11:55 PM
Dunn is a very good all-or-nothing type player. Yes, he broke the record for K's in a season. But he has serious power and is still relatively young. Borchard has good power and is young, but to say that he can become an Adam Dunn caliber player is quite a stretch.

However, it is not a stretch to say he could become a Grand Branyan type. Yuck.

balke
03-30-2005, 01:33 AM
I'm saying at the absolute best, he can dream of being Adam Dunn. Not that he even has much of a shot at that. I don't like those types of players that Hit hr. and K 200 times.

I'm just saying at the best we aren't losing a hall-of-famer or anything. Just a guy that has a lot of power.

That's just from what Joe's shown so far. He has a few more months in his career to earn another contract. Hopefully he turns things around.

BigEdWalsh
03-30-2005, 04:09 AM
I wish we would trade Borchard and hopefully get SOMETHING for him. Whatever the case, I wish him well. Everything I've read about him sounds like he's really a good guy and a guy liked by all his teammates. :smile:

ChiWhiteSox1337
03-30-2005, 04:20 AM
While it's been entertaining to watch Borchard this spring, it's just not possible for him to fit on the team because the Sox are real contenders this season, meaning no room for "projects", especially in the outfield. However, I'd love to see him put everything together in AAA so we can finally see the REAL Joe Borchard that we drafted in the first round. :D:

Banix12
03-30-2005, 04:52 AM
So what does this leave us in camp? By my count we're almost down to the full 25 with only 27 players + Frank who'll go on the DL. The other two players being Chris Widger and Felix Diaz.

I figure Diaz gets sent down to AAA soon. Though I think he would be a pretty good reliever. Last season he was usually great through the first three innings and had trouble the second time through the lineup. That says future reliever to me.

Could Widger make the Sox if Davis has to go on the DL? I'd personally rather see Burke but with him being assigned, I would have to figure Widger might be an early season backup plan.

delben91
03-30-2005, 07:36 AM
Could Widger make the Sox if Davis has to go on the DL? I'd personally rather see Burke but with him being assigned, I would have to figure Widger might be an early season backup plan.

Looks like that might be the case. The Sun-Times (http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-doug30.html) is saying the same thing.

CATCH-22: Davis might not be healthy enough to open the season on the roster because of a ligament injury in his right index finger. One of the 28 names left on the Sox' roster is catcher Chris Widger, who has batted .265 this spring. The three players still on the roster who do not appear to have a spot are Diaz, Widger and Frank Thomas, who will start the season on the disabled list.

PAPChiSox729
03-30-2005, 10:21 AM
I wish we would trade Borchard and hopefully get SOMETHING for him. Whatever the case, I wish him well. Everything I've read about him sounds like he's really a good guy and a guy liked by all his teammates. :smile:

Yes, I wish him well too. I would love to see Borchard put things together and become a consistent switch power hitting RF for this team. But looking at his K total and BA at the major league level, I really don't think that will happen. I say good luck with you career, Joe, whether with us or someone else.