PDA

View Full Version : The infamous Al Smith photo

Fenway
03-29-2005, 05:59 PM
http://chicagotribune.publishedphotos.net/Photos/CHI001.jpg

It is one of the most famous photos of all time and looking at it now I wonder. Did anybody ever get the name of the fan who spilled the beer? Was that a priest in the front row?

It really captures the era

StepsInSC
03-29-2005, 06:03 PM
LOL I've never seen that before.

DrCrawdad
03-29-2005, 06:11 PM
LOL I've never seen that before.

You've never seen the Al Smith photo before? How long have you been a White Sox fan?

hose
03-29-2005, 06:33 PM
I heard the guy interviewed on the radio a couple of years ago and I believe he was a either related to the nun or a friend of the family. He was from out of town and worked as a salesman. I do remember him saying that he wasn't much of a baseball or sports fan.

It seems like the priest is looking to the sky with his arms out stretched and saying "why have you forsaken me with this home run Lord?":o:

(full collar....Episcopalian?)

DSpivack
03-29-2005, 06:51 PM
I heard the guy interviewed on the radio a couple of years ago and I believe he was a either related to the nun or a friend of the family. He was from out of town and worked as a salesman. I do remember him saying that he wasn't much of a baseball or sports fan.

It seems like the priest is looking to the sky with his arms out stretched and saying "why have you forsaken me with this home run Lord?":o:

(full collar....Episcopalian?)

There are two priests in the photo, yes/no?

Gosox1917
03-29-2005, 06:57 PM
I've seen that picture several times but never have gotten the full story behind it? I think it was during the '59 World Series but other than that, don't know. Fellow Sox fans please enlighten me.

Lip Man 1
03-29-2005, 07:14 PM
From Jim Landis' interview with WSI:

"ML: Jim, Iíd like to name some of the other outfielders that you played with on the Sox. Iíd like for you to tell me about them, what kind of player they were or any memory that you may have of them. Letís start with the late Al Smith.(1958 - 1962, All Star: 1960)

JL: "The first thing I remember is the beer bath he took in the 2nd game of the World Series. (Authorís Note: Smith was drenched with a cup of beer as a fan reached to try and catch a Dodger home run in left field at Comiskey Park. In doing so the fan knocked over his beer that was sitting on top of the wall. As Smith was looking up at the ball, he got hit full in the face. The photo of the incident became one of the most famous photographs on the 1950's) I was standing over in left center and just started laughing harder then I did in a long time. Just the look on his face! Seriously Al was just so good to me. I remember we played poker a lot on the trains as we traveled in those days."

Lip

Fenway
03-29-2005, 07:18 PM
http://www.geocities.com/shoeless_60067/AlSmith.jpg

little smaller version

You can just see Al thinking "this is going to be a long day"

TommyJohn
03-29-2005, 07:51 PM

It is one of the most famous photos of all time and looking at it now I wonder. Did anybody ever get the name of the fan who spilled the beer? Was that a priest in the front row?

Bob Vandeberg later wrote a book in which he interviewed Smith, among other
players. Smith told him that in the offseason he went to this one company as
a ticket sales rep. People were looking at him and laughing and he couldn't
figure out why. Then he saw a photo sequence on the wall, blown up, of the
beer spilling on him. Turns out that the owner of the company (or a big shot
there) was the guy who spilled the beer.

brewcrew/chisox
03-29-2005, 08:19 PM
Why didn't Sox fans run that priest and the guy with that beer out of town? I mean the Sox probably lost that World Series because the fans were reaching for that ball.

:)

Brian26
03-29-2005, 09:15 PM

Notice how many people are smoking in the stands. Interesting.

PAPChiSox729
03-29-2005, 09:27 PM

I noticed that too. What always gets me is how nearly every man is wearing a suit jacket and tie. How much times have changed!

StepsInSC
03-29-2005, 09:28 PM
You've never seen the Al Smith photo before? How long have you been a White Sox fan?

Since '90. I was 8 at the time.

Norberto7
03-29-2005, 10:17 PM
I noticed that too. What always gets me is how nearly every man is wearing a suit jacket and tie. How much times have changed!

What, times have changed? Am I the only one peering out my horn-rimmed glasses from under my jelly roll hair-do? Damn! I need a smoke.

DrCrawdad
03-29-2005, 11:00 PM

At old Comiskey, lots of people smoked in the stands, and some of the smoke came from tobacco...

DrCrawdad
03-29-2005, 11:02 PM
Since '90. I was 8 at the time.

If the tone of my question was offensive, I apologize. I was simply surprised that you hadn't seen that photo.

hose
03-30-2005, 05:18 AM
There are two priests in the photo, yes/no?

NO.

I have the photo signed by Al Smith and framed.

One nun for sure and a guy wearing a collar.

mikehuff
03-30-2005, 07:41 AM
The first and second picture posted are actually different. In the first one the beer has already reached Al Smith's face. It's on it's way down in the second one.

Anyone notice about two Dr. Strangeglove lookalikes in the crowd? It's funny to blow that first one up and look around the crowd. There's a lot of scared old women in the first row. And what happened in 1959? Didn't anyone under 45 years old go to baseball games?

Paulwny
03-30-2005, 11:14 AM
. In And what happened in 1959? Didn't anyone under 45 years old go to baseball games?

The series back then was played during the day, no night games, kids in school, vast majority of people working, business men were able to leave work early to attend the games therefore many were wearing suits.