PDA

View Full Version : Props from SI for the top breakout player? What?

SoxxoS
03-29-2005, 03:49 PM
Who kidnapped Verducci and wrote his most recent column? (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writers/tom_verducci/03/29/breakout.players/index.html)

Not since Albert Pujols walked into the Cardinals' camp has a young player unexpectedly created the kind of Spring Training buzz that right-handed pitcher Brandon McCarthy has for the Chicago White Sox. McCarthy, 21, may not make the Sox's Opening Day roster, but he'll be with the big club sooner rather than later after what he's done in Arizona.

"He's the next Jack McDowell," said one Sox source recently. "No, wait. He's even better. He's what Bret Saberhagen was at that age. He's another Saberhagen."

Whoa.

PAPChiSox729
03-29-2005, 03:55 PM
That was Verducci? Wow.

Well, having a Cy Young caliber pitcher in your rotation is a pretty nice thing to have. I hope McCarthy can develop into that good of pitcher.

Hangar18
03-29-2005, 03:59 PM
hopefully, because hes been a SOX fan, he chooses to stay with us,
and wont let himself get Chased to the Yankees, Cardinals or Cubs.

DumpJerry
03-29-2005, 04:42 PM
[QUOTE=PAPChiSox729]That was Verducci? Wow.[QUOTE]
He saw my sig.:D:

MRKARNO
03-29-2005, 04:57 PM
I'm glad Verducci thought so highly of McCarthy to put him on the same list as Chan Ho Park. :D:

delben91
03-29-2005, 05:07 PM

Haha. Come on Hangar, let's at least let him make his major league debut before we start lamenting that he'll flee as a free agent. :cool:

SoxFan76
03-29-2005, 05:40 PM
Assuming "the next Jack McDowell" means he can win 20 games, I'd like to take a little look into the not-so-distant future of the Sox rotation.

Buerhle
Garcia
McCarthy
Insert Free Agent Here
Garland

Sweet

brewcrew/chisox
03-29-2005, 06:29 PM
Assuming "the next Jack McDowell" means he can win 20 games, I'd like to take a little look into the not-so-distant future of the Sox rotation.

Buerhle
Garcia
McCarthy
Insert Free Agent Here
Garland

Sweet

That's assuming that the Sox won't lose Buerhle (depending on how not-so-distant you mean).

batmanZoSo
03-29-2005, 06:47 PM
That's assuming that the Sox won't lose Buerhle (depending on how not-so-distant you mean).

Bah, I like that Insert Free Agent Here guy at least. I hear he's got a devastating splitter. :cool:

Lip Man 1
03-29-2005, 07:17 PM
Garland can be a free agent after next season. At this juncture I'd say he's probably gone so you'll need to plug in another name. (In this case I'm not disappointed the Sox will probably let him walk...)

Lip

TommyJohn
03-29-2005, 07:45 PM

CHICAGO TRIBUNE
December 1, 2010

McCARTHY WANTS TO SIGN
WITH CUBS
White Sox pitcher and free agent: "I will die of a broken
heart if I don't sign with the Cubs. I mean, I'm just dying
to play for Dusty Baker. Who isn't?"

Tribune columnists Morrisey, Rogers write how this deal will most
definitely go down. It is only a matter of time.

munchman33
03-29-2005, 08:00 PM
Garland can be a free agent after next season. At this juncture I'd say he's probably gone so you'll need to plug in another name. (In this case I'm not disappointed the Sox will probably let him walk...)

Lip

I'm going to need to keep that statement on file.

PAPChiSox729
03-29-2005, 08:18 PM

Lip

With the emergence of McCarthy, Garland is going to need to breakout this season if he wants to stay with this team. Then again, seeing how this past offseason went, he may just want to go to Texas or Colorado and get paid 6 mil to pitch for a team with no starting staff at all.

SoxFan76
03-29-2005, 08:40 PM

Lip

If he was making 1-2 mil, I'd disagree with you. However, if I'm not mistaken, Garland is making a decent chunk of money for his 12 wins a year. But in his defense, he also pitches a ton of innings.

PAPChiSox729
03-29-2005, 08:59 PM
If he was making 1-2 mil, I'd disagree with you. However, if I'm not mistaken, Garland is making a decent chunk of money for his 12 wins a year. But in his defense, he also pitches a ton of innings.

Garland flirted with 200 innings a few times and he finally surpassed it last season. 200+ innings from your 4th or 5th starter is a luxury. Now if he could just top 12 wins, then we would have a pitcher worth the money he is getting.

Soxfest
03-29-2005, 09:04 PM
If he is as good as BS that would be awesome.