PDA

View Full Version : Burnett to join Yankees?

WhiteSoxFan84
03-29-2005, 01:56 PM
Marlins pitcher A.J. Burnett's best friend is new Yankee Carl Pavano, who calls Burnett's cellphone at least once a week. Their conversation topics? "Fishing. Pitching. How he thinks I'm going to be a Yankee,'' Burnett said. "He wants me to be a Yankee. I wouldn't mind pitching with Carl. We play good together. We feed off each other.''
-- Palm Beach Post

Any info on Burnett's curren contract with the Marlins? There was a lot of talk about him getting dealt. One has to think if the Marlins are nowhere near playoff contention my July, he might get traded.

SoxSpeed22
03-29-2005, 02:02 PM
Any info on Burnett's curren contract with the Marlins? There was a lot of talk about him getting dealt. One has to think if the Marlins are nowhere near playoff contention my July, he might get traded. If that was gonna happen, it should've happened this winter instead of signing Jaret Wright. But it can still happen.

munchman33
03-29-2005, 02:10 PM
Any info on Burnett's curren contract with the Marlins?

He's a free agent after the year. The Marlins tried to lock him up, but have been rebuffed because he wants big money.

SoxxoS
03-29-2005, 02:18 PM
I didn't know Pavano took the role of GM with his recent contract.

PAPChiSox729
03-29-2005, 02:28 PM
Any info on Burnett's curren contract with the Marlins? There was a lot of talk about him getting dealt. One has to think if the Marlins are nowhere near playoff contention my July, he might get traded.

He would probably get dealt if the Marlins did fall out of contention before July 31, but I really don't think that that is going to happen. the Marlins are a very good team. But don'y worry, this time next year, Burnett probably will be a Yankee.

Frater Perdurabo
03-29-2005, 02:43 PM
He would probably get dealt if the Marlins did fall out of contention before July 31, but I really don't think that that is going to happen. the Marlins are a very good team. But don'y worry, this time next year, Burnett probably will be a Yankee.

How about shipping Willie Harris, Timo Perez and Danny Wright to the Marlins for Burnett...

doublem23
03-29-2005, 02:51 PM
How about shipping Willie Harris, Timo Perez and Danny Wright to the Marlins for Burnett...

Works for me, especially if no one tells the Marlins we released Wright last year. :D:

Ol' No. 2
03-29-2005, 02:53 PM
Works for me, especially if no one tells the Marlins we released Wright last year. :D:What happened with Danny Wright, anyway? Wasn't he going to have surgery? Is he out for the year?

FightingBillini
03-29-2005, 03:26 PM
Burnett's comments are just leverage. He wants the Marlins to say "oh crap, if he let him become a free agent he will bolt to the Yankees the first chance he gets" and offer him a huge contract.

Besides, I don't think Pavano will be raving about New York to him when he is 6-9 at the All-Star break and gets booed unrelentingly at home.

Hangar18
03-29-2005, 03:31 PM

Only Jim Hendry could pull a "Trade" like that off .......

Vestigio
03-29-2005, 04:34 PM

I would rather trade Harris, Perez, and Wright for Sheets, instead of Burnett.

CWSGuy406
03-29-2005, 04:39 PM
Burnett's comments are just leverage. He wants the Marlins to say "oh crap, if he let him become a free agent he will bolt to the Yankees the first chance he gets" and offer him a huge contract.

Besides, I don't think Pavano will be raving about New York to him when he is 6-9 at the All-Star break and gets booed unrelentingly at home.

I'm really glad Kenny didn't get bogged down in a bad contract this winter.

Guys like Russ Ortiz, Carl Pavano, and Eric Milton got a lot more money than they are worth. El Duque's contract isn't great, but it's not gonna be a detriment to our payroll, either...

PAPChiSox729
03-29-2005, 04:48 PM
I would rather trade Harris, Perez, and Wright for Sheets, instead of Burnett.

I would take either one, they are both better then Garland! And while we are at it, why not Crede for Rolen!
:D:

Lip Man 1
03-29-2005, 08:37 PM
Hangar:

Once again that's because the Cubs are (were) one of the few teams willing to take on salary. For the 8th time that's how they 'stole' Ramirez from the Pirates PLUS teams are given first crack in reverse order. Why would any of the Central division bottom feeders want him in the first place? He got to the Cubs by default.

Your 'beef' should be with the teams that were to cheap to grab him looking for long term improvement.

As far as this season, don't bet on the Cubs getting anybody. Given that they spent about 14 million to pay off Sosa's contract with the O's and given that the payroll is already close to 100 million and given the fact that the Tribune Company has been adament they will not go over that mark because of the luxury tax.....well you get the idea.

Lip

ChiWhiteSox1337
03-29-2005, 08:47 PM
Let them overpay for Burnett. While he has shown signs of being an MLB ace, he's had quite a few major arm injuries in his rather brief MLB career.

marlins03
03-30-2005, 12:51 PM
Trade his ass screw him i rather have Penny back and sign Penny in the next offseason instead of trying to get Burnett back he will either sign a contract before the deadline or he will be traded for something good. Personally i dont want us to get screwed like what happened with Pavano.

WhiteSoxFan84
03-31-2005, 01:22 PM
What happened with Danny Wright, anyway? Wasn't he going to have surgery? Is he out for the year?

Last I heard he's supposed to be out this year and probably next. Must've been a real serious surgery. I still think he's under contract with the Sox though.