PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Motion AL Central Preview

milce73
03-29-2005, 09:56 AM
I just saw this on ESPN Motion at ESPN.com.
They have John Kruk and Harold Reynolds (from Baseball Tonight) quickly breaking down the teams by hitting, rotation, bullpen and so on.
They pick either the Twinkies or Indians for almost every category, choosing the Indians to win the division.
They mention the Tigers a couple of times, but they never utter a word about the Sox.
Did someone forget to tell ESPN that the Sox never moved to Florida? :angry:

Ol' No. 2
03-29-2005, 10:01 AM
They have John Kruk and Harold Reynolds (from Baseball Tonight) quickly breaking down the teams by hitting, rotation, bullpen and so on.
They pick either the Twinkies or Indians for almost every category, choosing the Indians to win the division.
They mention the Tigers a couple of times, but they never utter a word about the Sox.
Did someone forget to tell ESPN that the Sox never moved to Florida? :angry: Same old same old. It doesn't matter who they talk about in March. It only matters who they talk about in October.

NonetheLoaiza
03-29-2005, 10:11 AM
Same old same old. It doesn't matter who they talk about in March. It only matters who they talk about in October.

I agree...SSDD. They have no idea what they are talking about anyways. They also picked the Royals to win the division last year, IIRC, with the Sox down in 3rd or 4th. I put no stock whatsoever in what those analysts say because it is all opinion and heresay. It seems that they don't ever actually do any research. I have to say the only person that I respect on that channel is Tim Kurkjian, because he is the only one that seems to actually sit down and think about things and research. The others just seem to rely on heresay.

itsnotrequired
03-29-2005, 10:21 AM

Yet again, under the radar.:D: Like others mentioned, the Baseball Tonight guys just seem to throw things out there with no real reason. To wit, Kruk predicting Randy Johnson will get over 30 wins this season.:rolleyes:

SoxSpeed22
03-29-2005, 10:24 AM
Did someone forget to tell ESPN that the Sox never moved to Florida? :angry: For threads like this I'll have to put up a new quote.
http://web.utk.edu/~bborchar/episodes/episode25/eps25_7.jpg"Keh!"
They say what they say, besides the more they talk, the harder the words get shoved up their @$$e$

jackbrohamer
03-29-2005, 10:27 AM
I've never heard Reyonlds or Kruk say anything insightful, and I can't really watch Baseball Tonight any more.

skottyj242
03-29-2005, 10:28 AM
John Kruk also said that the Tampa Bay Devil Rays have the best defense in the A.L. East...and probably in the whole American League.

infohawk
03-29-2005, 10:41 AM
Same old same old. It doesn't matter who they talk about in March. It only matters who they talk about in October.

Truer words were never spoken. I remember Kurkjian talking about the Sox on Baseball Tonight toward the end of April/early May 2002. The Sox were off to a decent first several weeks when Kenny Lofton and Ray Durham were setting the table. Kurkjian commented that the Sox were "a devastating offensive club." We finished second that year.

SoxFan78
03-29-2005, 10:50 AM
These are the same guys that said that Corey Patterson this year would join the 40/40 club.

And no, that statement shouldn't be in teal. I saw it with my own eyes last night on Sportscenter.

ChiSoxBobette
03-29-2005, 11:00 AM
Who cares, us White Sox fans put to much into what a fat no-talent john kruk & a moron harold reynolds have to say ,both of whom were'nt any good as ballplayers so why now would they be good enough to pick who's going to win a division. Now espn has a new darling team - the indians , so what is new they don't like our team really has espn ever said anything good or positive about the White Sox, they still insult our ballpark and I'm sure they are afraid of the neighborhood. ESPN & its people know about as much as any of us about whos going to win the AL Central, I just hope Ozzie gets our guys focused so we can surprise all of these so-called experts.

GO WHITE SOX

whitesoxwilkes
03-29-2005, 11:17 AM

Check out my new sig...

ma_deuce
03-29-2005, 11:25 AM
Ole' "One Nut" rarely has anything good to say about the White Sox, if he even mentions them at all. I'm not surprised, though it is disappointing.

balke
03-29-2005, 12:05 PM
Bullpen will go to the Twins cause they have Nathan and Rincon.

Pitching will go to the Twins because they have Santana, and Radke, and 3 decent follow-ups.

Hitting will go to the Tribe, because they slugged last year, and didn't lose their big hitters like we did.

If we had Frank opening day, we might win the hitting argument, but we don't.

I think we are # 2 in all of those categories, which is a lot better than being #1 in one, and #4 in the other (like the tribe having the best hitting, and worst bullpen.)

We'll see how things pan out. Podsednik is going to blow people's thoughts of him out of the water I think. I think Dye will greatly surpass his expectations, which are pretty low. And we will find ourselves with a lot of rightfielders, 1st basemen, and DH's that we can deal around at some point in the season. Let's just play the games.

fusillirob1983
03-29-2005, 12:08 PM
Harold Reynolds predicted the Sox to finish 4th last year.

balke
03-29-2005, 12:12 PM
I remember Harold as the only one that liked the Sox when they were doing good. I thought he picked them 1st or 2nd last season, and everyone else laughed at him before the season started.

wdelaney72
03-29-2005, 12:33 PM
These are the same guys that said that Corey Patterson this year would join the 40/40 club.

:rolling:
:bong:

Kogs35
03-29-2005, 12:44 PM
last year harold reynolds on sportscenter "peter the royals will win the al central"

Corlose 15
03-29-2005, 01:28 PM
I remember Harold as the only one that liked the Sox when they were doing good. I thought he picked them 1st or 2nd last season, and everyone else laughed at him before the season started.

Reynolds picked the Sox to finish fourth last year. Peter Gammons said they'd finnish third based on the team coming out of spring training but he figured KW would make some moves to improve the team.

PAPChiSox729
03-29-2005, 01:34 PM
To wit, Kruk predicting Randy Johnson will get over 30 wins this season.:rolleyes:

I saw that. It made me laugh out loud when he said it. This is ESPN we are talking about and the majority of posters on this board have lost all respect for ESPN, especially when it comes to baseball. Just remember, Under the Radar.

UofCSoxFan
03-29-2005, 02:06 PM
As ESPN has expanded its programming and number of channels the quality of analysts has really deteriorated. It used to be that the majority of tv guys were students of the game, not ex-ballplayers like Kruk and Reynolds. I mean c'mon, Dee Brown won the ESPN Dreamjob thing for basketball. I know more about the NBA as a casual fan who watches the Bulls on tv than he does.

Across the board, it seems that no one on ESPN is really eager to make a stand. People just make an obvious prediction based on the safest bet (ex Twins have won div past three years so they will win again) or a glamourous one that everyone jumps on (ex Clev will be good this year, ignoring the fact their pitching is not good).

Its about hedging bets. Picking the Sox and being wrong could cost someone credibility...but picking the Twins and being wrong could be chalked up to "everyone else picked them."

Over By There
03-29-2005, 02:15 PM
Just to complete the Baseball Tonight idiot trifecta, I heard Karl Ravech on GameNight on Sunday night, and he was sizing up the different divisions. He spent probably a good two minutes talking about the AL Central, and during these two minutes none of the following three words were even mentioned: Chicago, White, and Sox.

I was upset for a few minutes, but then realized it doesn't make much of a difference what these guys think. The more I listen to ESPN's baseball "experts," the more I realize they know a bunch about the Yankees and Red Sox, and a lot less about every other team.

Rocklive99
03-29-2005, 09:25 PM
I just saw this on ESPNEWS, what a joke! If you thought the Florida BBTN show was bad...

It is seriously like we don't exist! We are only shown when opposing pitchers are striking us out. Even when they pick division winners "The Twins, because the other two [Indians and Tigers] have not been there before" I know about being under the radar, but we being put in the same class as the Royals and that's just not fair. WHAT A JOKE!

PAPChiSox729
03-29-2005, 09:29 PM
I just saw this on ESPNEWS, what a joke! If you thought the Florida BBTN show was bad...

It is seriously like we don't exist! We are only shown when opposing pitchers are striking us out. Even when they pick division winners "The Twins, because the other two [Indians and Tigers] have not been there before" I know about being under the radar, but we being put in the same class as the Royals and that's just not fair. WHAT A JOKE!

Just think about when we show what idiots they are when October strolls around. Under the Radar!
:cool:

chisox06
03-29-2005, 10:18 PM
Stupid speculation by stupid speculators. Nothing new their, seriously these guys would make better meteorologists than baseball analysts.