PDA

View Full Version : Kurkian talks Thomas on Cold Pizza

I want Mags back
03-28-2005, 06:20 PM
I was watching Cold Pizza this morning, I dont know why Sportscenter must have got boring, and Tim Kurkian was. I'd never would have thought anyone would bring up anything Sox related, but he did. He said he thinks Frank will be out until May, and thinks the only way we'll win the division is if he plays well

Any thoughts

samram
03-28-2005, 06:38 PM
He's probably right. If Frank isn't good, it's going to be a tough year- unless Everett plays really well.

The Wunsch
03-28-2005, 07:58 PM
now that the national media is acknowledging that so many players are juiced, and Thomas isn't. He's one of the games big stars now. If he has a good couple of years. MLB will try to make him a poster child because everyone knows he's clean, and he's approaching HOF power numbers

SoxxoS
03-28-2005, 08:05 PM
I have a lot of confidence Everett is going to have a huge year, especially since it's probably his final contract year. He plays unreal in contract year throughout his career.

SOXSINCE'70
03-28-2005, 08:06 PM
He's probably right. If Frank isn't good, it's going to be a tough year- unless Everett plays really well.

As much as I want a healthy Frank Thomas,"Crazy" Carl isn't a bad
substitute.He's left handed,can hit doubles and homers,will steal an
occasional base and truly doesn't care about stats as long as the
team is winning (see Monday's Sun Times for more).Just please,
for the love of God,don't put a mitt on him and send him to the
outfield!! :cower: :cower: The few games I saw him play CF and RF
last year,he looked terrible!! Since foot injuries can take a while
to heal,he'll "get the job done",as Hawk would say.:cool:

Fake Chet Lemon
03-28-2005, 09:46 PM
We desperately need Frank and his on base % to be successful this year. Pods % isn't great and Dye tends to strike out quite a bit.

Soxzilla
03-28-2005, 09:50 PM
As much as I want a healthy Frank Thomas,"Crazy" Carl isn't a bad
substitute.He's left handed,can hit doubles and homers,will steal an
occasional base and truly doesn't care about stats as long as the
team is winning (see Monday's Sun Times for more).Just please,
for the love of God,don't put a mitt on him and send him to the
outfield!! :cower: :cower: The few games I saw him play CF and RF
last year,he looked terrible!! Since foot injuries can take a while
to heal,he'll "get the job done",as Hawk would say.:cool:

If crazy carl does as well as he usually does in these contract years, then I could deal with him being out in the outfield when Frank is healthy. Especially if Scotty Pods or Dye are struggling or get injured.

And he probably wouldn't be out there late because we have such outfield depth on the bench with Timo.:redneck

GiveMeSox
03-28-2005, 10:24 PM
I was watching Cold Pizza this morning, I dont know why Sportscenter must have got boring, and Tim Kurkian was. I'd never would have thought anyone would bring up anything Sox related, but he did. He said he thinks Frank will be out until May, and thinks the only way we'll win the division is if he plays well

Any thoughts

He is refering to Franks OBP which is tops in the AL. Before Frank went down last year his OBP was .430!!! Thats a hard void to fill becuase it allows everyone in the lineup around him to see better pitches and get more rbi chances. Franks presence will indeed by missed cuz he makes the whole team that much better when he is in the lineup. Id say we will be ok though if everett can step up and have an OBP somewhere around .375 and up. Which just so happen he did in 03 when he was with the sox, it was .377 then so we know he is definatly capable.

MeanFish
03-28-2005, 10:55 PM
He is refering to Franks OBP which is tops in the AL. Before Frank went down last year his OBP was .430!!! Thats a hard void to fill becuase it allows everyone in the lineup around him to see better pitches and get more rbi chances. Franks presence will indeed by missed cuz he makes the whole team that much better when he is in the lineup. Id say we will be ok though if everett can step up and have an OBP somewhere around .375 and up. Which just so happen he did in 03 when he was with the sox, it was .377 then so we know he is definatly capable.

While his OBP might not be so high, Dye was one of the top guys in the league last year for pitches seen per at bat. Top three for sure, possibly #1.

Banix12
03-29-2005, 03:00 AM
I'm perfectly happy with Carl Everett in the short term, but a healthy Frank Thomas, who is hitting like frank thomas can, would be invaluable.

My biggest question is gonna be how Frank is gonna hit coming back from injury. In the past its taken nearly half a season for him to get right after coming off the disabled list. We can't wait that long this season.

I do tend to agree though that Frank is often the lynchpin to the sox offense. Look at last year, when Maggs went down the sox survived pretty well with the cast of characters that played out there. When thomas went down though the offense really scuffled, in the past it's been the same way when Frank gets hurt.

Though I think Carl Everett is the best Frank Substitute we've had than in the past seasons when he went down.

ChiSoxBobette
03-29-2005, 09:20 AM

Any thoughts

Yeah heres a thought, None of those so-called morons on espn know anything about baseball unless it pertains to the scrubs,twinkies, dead sox, yankmees, or any of the teams on the west coast. They have to be the biggest bunch of jerkoffs who pass themselves off as experts in sports. As far as Kurkian - CAN YOU BE A BIGGER DORK BUDDY!

Go White Sox