PDA

View Full Version : Juan Gon Starting for Indians

Fredsox
03-28-2005, 03:22 PM
http://www.suntimes.com/output/baseball/cst-spt-bbnt28.html

Are we supposed to be concerned about a team that starts Juan Gon in right field over a guy half his age?

Jjav829
03-28-2005, 03:26 PM
Huh? Explain why it isn't a good decision for the Indians. They have the depth that even if he is injured or just bad, they can replace him easily. If healthy, he's potentially a nice find for them. If he's injured, Sizemore can replace him. Even if Gonzalez just sucks, he's only making $600,000 so they could always bench him or cut him. Seems like a no-lose situation to me.

Fredsox
03-28-2005, 03:47 PM
It just strikes me as curious that a team that is pegged to challenge for the division title needs to rely on a health/age question mark like Gonzalez. If history teaches us anything he'll be lucky to play 50 games. I'm not dissing the Indian's decision, it might be fine based upon what they have. I just find it interesting that a team in this position is characterized as the one ready to supplant the Twins as the dominant team in the AL Central.

balke
03-28-2005, 03:52 PM
I'm considering putting Juan Gone on my bench. He's a huge risk, but the reward he may possess is that of all-star #'s.

2001 - .325 35hr.

I know he's a liability, but the great ones never seem to lose that bat to injury. Is he too old? Hopefully.

Jjav829
03-28-2005, 04:07 PM
It just strikes me as curious that a team that is pegged to challenge for the division title needs to rely on a health/age question mark like Gonzalez. If history teaches us anything he'll be lucky to play 50 games. I'm not dissing the Indian's decision, it might be fine based upon what they have. I just find it interesting that a team in this position is characterized as the one ready to supplant the Twins as the dominant team in the AL Central.

They don't need to. They are taking a chance that he can stay healthy and put up solid numbers. Like I said, they aren't paying him much and they have Sizemore if Gonzalez busts, so it's a win-win situation for them.

ma_deuce
03-28-2005, 04:42 PM
They don't need to. They are taking a chance that he can stay healthy and put up solid numbers. Like I said, they aren't paying him much and they have Sizemore if Gonzalez busts, so it's a win-win situation for them.

I agree. This move should make them competative against Minny and Detriot for 2nd place behind the White Sox. :supernana:

PAPChiSox729
03-28-2005, 11:44 PM
There really isn't a down side. If he is healthy, he can put up All-star numbers. If he sucks, just bench him since he is only getting paid $600,000.

baseball_fanatic
03-28-2005, 11:54 PM
If healthy, Juan can still be a dangerous hitter. The problem for Gonzalez is that he is rarely healthy.