PDA

View Full Version : How will the team start in April?

Fake Chet Lemon
03-28-2005, 12:56 PM
I expect the Sox to start the season slow, sub .500 in April. I think they'll start slow because of all the new faces for one. I can see a ball or two drop in left and right center as Rowand gets used to his new team-mates. I can see a double play or two not get turned as the new DP combos adjust to each other. AJ has to learn the staff, and Ozzie has three new starters that weren't part of the team opening day last season. It takes time to learn your pitchers. The schedule is mostly all division rivals too. But Franks return in May will be perfect. Everyone will be on their way to adjusting, Franks return will give the team a boost, and they will go on to win the division. So what I'm really saying is, let's not panic over a slow start.

CubKilla
03-28-2005, 01:03 PM
The schedule is mostly all division rivals too. So what I'm really saying is, let's not panic over a slow start.

That's an oxymoron. You have to beat the teams in your Division regardless of whether you play them in April or in September. And is Frank's return set in stone for May?

The old Sox squad practically proved that a slow April/May meant doom for them. Hopefully this Sox squad won't be looking up from April 4th in, say, July or August.

cbrownson13
03-28-2005, 01:36 PM
I expect the Sox to start the season slow, sub .500 in April. I think they'll start slow because of all the new faces for one. I can see a ball or two drop in left and right center as Rowand gets used to his new team-mates. I can see a double play or two not get turned as the new DP combos adjust to each other. AJ has to learn the staff, and Ozzie has three new starters that weren't part of the team opening day last season. It takes time to learn your pitchers. The schedule is mostly all division rivals too. But Franks return in May will be perfect. Everyone will be on their way to adjusting, Franks return will give the team a boost, and they will go on to win the division. So what I'm really saying is, let's not panic over a slow start.

All this "getting used to your new teammates" stuff is what Spring Training is for.

Lip Man 1
03-28-2005, 01:40 PM
With so many early games against divisional opponents a good start could give the team confidence, momentum and start placing distance between themselves and others.

A bad start and the pressure immediately starts to build and as shown by the 2001 team, it is very difficult to get back into the race when you fall ten or twelves games under .500. You have to expend every once of energy you have just to get back to .500 let alone try to win the division.

I hope they can get off to a good start but the only way to know for sure is to watch what happens.

Lip

Ol' No. 2
03-28-2005, 02:11 PM
:ozzie Games in April and May count the same as games in July, Haugust and September.

WhiteSoxFan84
03-28-2005, 02:27 PM
Last 4 years the Sox are 51-46, a .526 winning % in April (average of 13-12 per season). I'm a man of averages so I will say 13-11 since they only play 24 games in April.

Ol' No. 2
03-28-2005, 02:30 PM
Last 4 years the Sox are 51-46, a .526 winning % in April (average of 13-12 per season). I'm a man of averages so I will say 13-11 since they only play 24 games in April.It's not just how many they win, but who they beat. I'll take another 0-for-Oakland if they beat the Twins and Indians 2 out of every 3.

Fake Chet Lemon
03-28-2005, 02:45 PM
All this "getting used to your new teammates" stuff is what Spring Training is for.

In theory yes, but the innings that Podzilla, Rowand, and Dye have all played together have been few and far between this spring. Spring Training is a much about seeing your prospects play as anything.

LongLiveFisk
03-28-2005, 04:37 PM
We've been doing ok in April the past few years...it's May you have to worry about. I don't have the figures but I have the memories!

ma_deuce
03-28-2005, 04:46 PM
We've been doing ok in April the past few years...it's May you have to worry about. I don't have the figures but I have the memories!

*Deuce thinks about May for the last few years*

:cower::thud: :whiner:

WhiteSoxFan84
03-29-2005, 12:40 AM

Last 4 years....
May: 50-59
Averaging 13-15 per year.
.459 winning %

In those 4 years, the Sox have played their worst baseball in May. Best May we've had in last 4 years was last year when we went 16-12.

DumpJerry
03-29-2005, 01:14 AM
Wasn't June last year the bad one for us before the post-All Star Break meltdown?

I always hope for a 162-0 season, but I realize that may not be realistic. I do, however, have a recurring fantasy that Mark throws a perfect game with 20 K's on Opening Day. After all, he took the Tribe into the 7th inning last year with a perfect game.......

One thing I do know for certain is that my gut feeling about this season is much better than one I've had in a long time. Last year I had no expectations and was pleasantly surprised to see them in contention as long as they were.

yoester
03-29-2005, 06:06 PM
In theory yes, but the innings that Podzilla, Rowand, and Dye have all played together have been few and far between this spring. Spring Training is a much about seeing your prospects play as anything.

They're outfielders, as long as they run as fast as they can to catch every ball near them without colliding with each other, they'll be ok.

I predict 16-8.

Foulke You
03-29-2005, 06:20 PM
The 2000 Club went 17W-8L in April, took hold of the AL Central lead and never looked back. I would like to see the Sox build themselves a nice cushion in '05 as the '00 team did so when they do go through an inevitable slump, it won't kill their season as it has in years past. The 2000 club went 13W-14L in the month of May and it didn't derail their season because of the strong showing in April.

JB98
03-29-2005, 06:21 PM
They're outfielders, as long as they run as fast as they can to catch every ball near them without colliding with each other, they'll be ok.

I predict 16-8.

Ahh, I remember when I used to be optimistic. I'd settle for 12-12 with this team.

soxwon
03-29-2005, 06:38 PM
SOX PRED 2005
# home
APRIL_ 14-10 record i predict

CLEV 3 gm#
MINN 3 gm
CLEV 3 gm
SEA 3 gm#
MINN 2 gm#
DET 2 gm
KCITY 3 gm
OAK 2 gm
DET 3gm#

Fake Chet Lemon
03-29-2005, 09:42 PM
I don't think you can go by recent past history at all in this case. We've got a completely revamped team, and manager compared to most of those years.

PAPChiSox729
03-29-2005, 09:53 PM
I think they will have a good April. A lot of games against teams we should hopefully be able to beat (Royals, Mariners, Cleveland, etc.) Hopefully this will get them on a roll that takes them all the way to the end of October.