PDA

View Full Version : SOX bashing- Minnesota media

grizzbr
03-28-2005, 11:47 AM
First post in a while from this Chicago native SOX fan stuck in Minny. Beyond the obvious reasons for winning the A.L. central this year, over the weekend I saw the new Twinkies season ticket ad which, at the end, showed a janitor type guy cleaning up the home team clubhouse with a pail using a SOX jersey to "mop things up".

This mornings radio sports talk was centered around the 2005 predictions which, of course, they picked their home team to win it all. Cleveland coming in second and a "fight" for 3rd place between the SOX and Detroit. Local announcer here said that "Chicago- along with bad ownership and a bad stadium- will have a bad team this year".

A bad stadium when these clowns play indoors in a football stadium!

I'll be on hand to support the SOX at the April 8th and 10th games up here. Sweep those Twinkies!

CubKilla
03-28-2005, 11:57 AM
When you've won your Division 3 seasons in a row, you can pretty much say what you want until someone can unseat you.

I do think it's funny though that they are bad-rapping The Sell when the Twinks play in the HumpDome.

samram
03-28-2005, 12:11 PM
When you've won your Division 3 seasons in a row, you can pretty much say what you want until someone can unseat you.

I do think it's funny though that they are bad-rapping The Sell when the Twinks play in the HumpDome.

Right on both counts, although I'm still not seeing why people are so willing to look past Cleveland's flaws and/or possible career years from last year.

Lip Man 1
03-28-2005, 12:49 PM
As Cubkiller stated 'to the victors belong the spoils.' If the Sox organization doesn't like it, then do something about it. Winning would be a good first step.

Lip

TommyJohn
03-28-2005, 01:30 PM
I won't put up a fight for ownership but...

Have any of the goons, morons, jerks and members of the
subspecies boobus sportsjournalistus (to paraphrase H.L. Mencken)
ever mentioned what about the stadium is so bad? I mean, have
they? Or are they merely parroting the excrement shoveled out by
the boobs that pass for sports journalists in this town?

*SQUAWK* Bad neighborhood! Bad Stadium! Bad Neighborhood! Bad
Stadium! *SQUAWK*

skottyj242
03-28-2005, 01:52 PM
Is this any worse that the Us vs. Them campaign of last year? I don't think it is except that we're the butt of the joke this time around. I think for once we should all get together behind our team instead of worrying about everyone else. Who cares what commercials they're showing in Minn. I think they should worry more about their kids shooting up schools than how to have a joke at our expense.

mikehuff
03-28-2005, 01:53 PM
Anyone who has been to Comiskey wouldn't call it a bad stadium.

Foulke You
03-28-2005, 01:56 PM
I wouldn't fight for Sox ownership either, however, Twins ownership has been an open sewer as well. Only smart scouting and a good general manager have saved the Twins. Carl Pohlad almost made contraction happen for the Twins, constantly lets their good players leave town (sound familiar?), and demands public money to fund a new ballpark yet they are calling out our ownership as bad?

Don't even get me started on the "Zit of the Minneapolis skyline" known as the Metrodome. It is highly amusing that they are calling out Comiskey II as a bad ballpark when they play in that air bubble that smells like a high school gymnasium inside and boiled school cafeteria hot dogs in the concourse. But our modern, newly renovated, outdoor park is bad?? Gimme a break!

I'm not arguing the Twins right to chirp about their accomplishments as a TEAM. They are 3 time defending AL Central Champs so they can brag all they want about that...they've earned it. However, they have no right to chirp about our "bad" ballpark or ownership being bad when theirs ownership is just as bad (or worse) than Jerry and their ballpark is easily the 2nd worst in baseball behind only Tropicana Field.

LVSoxFan
03-28-2005, 01:59 PM
Let 'em talk trash all they want; they've earned it.

Anybody who bad-mouths The Cell obviously hasn't really gone to any games there. I've been there night and day, good weather and pounding rain (which did finally end), and sat in every part of the park, including the skyboxes.

The roof idea was genius. It may not be as postcard-ready as Wrigley, but no park is in the league. And for all Wrigley's beauty and views, functionally the park sucks--and so does the food.

FightingBillini
03-28-2005, 02:05 PM
I wouldn't fight for Sox ownership either, however, Twins ownership has been an open sewer as well. Only smart scouting and a good general manager have saved the Twins. Carl Pohlad almost made contraction happen for the Twins, constantly lets their good players leave town (sound familiar?), and demands public money to fund a new ballpark yet they are calling out our ownership as bad?

Don't even get me started on the "Zit of the Minneapolis skyline" known as the Metrodome. It is highly amusing that they are calling out Comiskey II as a bad ballpark when they play in that air bubble that smells like a high school gymnasium inside and boiled school cafeteria hot dogs in the concourse. But our modern, newly renovated, outdoor park is bad?? Gimme a break!

I'm not arguing the Twins right to chirp about their accomplishments as a TEAM. They are 3 time defending AL Central Champs so they can brag all they want about that...they've earned it. However, they have no right to chirp about our "bad" ballpark or ownership being bad when theirs ownership is just as bad (or worse) than Jerry and their ballpark is easily the 2nd worst in baseball behind only Tropicana Field.

Exactly

mikesouthside
03-28-2005, 02:06 PM
Until we beat em'........let them yap. Let's take it one series at a time...2 out of 3 or better. Let's face it, NO ONE...likes the White Sox. We are a rare breed. But wouldn't it be sweeter in the end? Let's all just be positive and don't look down the schedule for upcoming games, let's just hope they focus and play hard EVERY game. Yankee's,Twins,Cubs,KC...they all produce the same outcome, either a WIN or a LOSS. Let teams talk trash. Just go out and get the job done. Focus on 4/4.

GO SOX 2005....

DrCrawdad
03-28-2005, 02:08 PM
First post in a while from this Chicago native SOX fan stuck in Minny. Beyond the obvious reasons for winning the A.L. central this year, over the weekend I saw the new Twinkies season ticket ad which, at the end, showed a janitor type guy cleaning up the home team clubhouse with a pail using a SOX jersey to "mop things up".

This mornings radio sports talk was centered around the 2005 predictions which, of course, they picked their home team to win it all. Cleveland coming in second and a "fight" for 3rd place between the SOX and Detroit. Local announcer here said that "Chicago- along with bad ownership and a bad stadium- will have a bad team this year".

A bad stadium when these clowns play indoors in a football stadium!

I'll be on hand to support the SOX at the April 8th and 10th games up here. Sweep those Twinkies!

Other than the swipes at The Cell, I don't have a problem with the ads. I echo the comments of Lip, if the Sox players don't like the ad, then beat the Twins and win the AL Central.

Vestigio
03-28-2005, 03:08 PM
Is this any worse that the Us vs. Them campaign of last year? I don't think it is except that we're the butt of the joke this time around. I think for once we should all get together behind our team instead of worrying about everyone else. Who cares what commercials they're showing in Minn. I think they should worry more about their kids shooting up schools than how to have a joke at our expense.

Those commercials were about the Cubs, not the Twins

mweflen
03-28-2005, 03:53 PM
yup. we can't complain until we beat them. even on the ridiculous assertion that the Cell is somehow worse than the Hefty H. Cinch-Sack Dome.

DumpJerry
03-28-2005, 04:30 PM
The ad has me doing backflips! Know why? They chose us to malign in the ad instead of the Tribe, Tigers or Royals. That tells me that they are either worried about us or their market research says their fans are worried about us so they have to allay those concerns.

I used to live up there. One example of how friggin' stupid the dome is, you have to look to the winter of 1981-1982, the first year of the Dome. It snowed one day that winter, usually an expected event in Minnesota. The snow accumulated on the Dome's roof. So far, so good. The freaks that built and managed the Dome HAD NO SNOW REMOVAL PLAN FOR THE ROOF! They got a front-end loader up there to push the snow off. BAD IDEA! Front-end loaders have relatively sharp edges to do their job. The scoop caught a seam on the roof and the roof started to deflate! Luckily, they were able to rescue the front-end loader guy and the machine before he was hurt. They had to pay someone good $$$ to come up with a snow removal plan for the next time.

...............and these people criticize our park????????

DSpivack
03-28-2005, 04:46 PM
The ad has me doing backflips! Know why? They chose us to malign in the ad instead of the Tribe, Tigers or Royals. That tells me that they are either worried about us or their market research says their fans are worried about us so they have to allay those concerns.

I used to live up there. One example of how friggin' stupid the dome is, you have to look to the winter of 1981-1982, the first year of the Dome. It snowed one day that winter, usually an expected event in Minnesota. The snow accumulated on the Dome's roof. So far, so good. They freaks that built and managed the Dome HAD NO SNOW REMOVAL PLAN FOR THE ROOF! They got a front-end loader up there to push the snow off. BAD IDEA! Front-end loaders have relatively sharp edges to do their job. The scoop caught a seam on the roof and the roof started to deflate! Luckily, they were able to rescue the front-end loader guy and the machine before he was hurt. They had to pay someone good $$$ to come up with a snow removal plan for the next time.

:D: Hilarious.

Fake Chet Lemon
03-28-2005, 08:54 PM
I was in Vegas last year during a Twins-Sox series. I went to the ESPN zone each night, but had to listen to the Minnesota feed. It was pretty funny. They are so bush league, there were commercials from a pizza company giving away Twins tickets if you had a pizza delivered. So even though their attendance numbers slightly exceed ours, their give aways go far beyond half price nights. So their current bush league commercial doesn't surprise me. But until we can beat them, they can say whatever they want.

JohnBasedowYoda
03-28-2005, 09:01 PM

True. But what are we 'Selling'? :smile:

Though i think the part with the guy mopping up with the sox jersey is pretty funny. I can take some good trash-talking.

I've been to the humpdome and i though it was pretty cool actually. It had a weird smell and my ears popped when i left, but i had good seats and i thought the food was decent too. Weird that they sell both miller and bud.

PAPChiSox729
03-28-2005, 09:57 PM
They've beat us 3 years running (4 years if you count 2001). They can brag until they are dethroned.

rwcescato
03-28-2005, 10:25 PM
As Cubkiller stated 'to the victors belong the spoils.' If the Sox organization doesn't like it, then do something about it. Winning would be a good first step.

Lip

I totally agree Mark. You have to win or be laughed at by the opposing media and fans.
Rich

TwinKess
03-29-2005, 10:40 AM

I used to live up there. One example of how friggin' stupid the dome is, you have to look to the winter of 1981-1982, the first year of the Dome. It snowed one day that winter, usually an expected event in Minnesota. The snow accumulated on the Dome's roof. So far, so good. The freaks that built and managed the Dome HAD NO SNOW REMOVAL PLAN FOR THE ROOF! They got a front-end loader up there to push the snow off. BAD IDEA! Front-end loaders have relatively sharp edges to do their job. The scoop caught a seam on the roof and the roof started to deflate! Luckily, they were able to rescue the front-end loader guy and the machine before he was hurt. They had to pay someone good $$$ to come up with a snow removal plan for the next time.

Not sure where you got that but it's not true. Usually snow doesn't acumulate on the roof because they turn on the heat during snowstorms. 3 times the snow fell heavily enough that it did accumulate enough to cause small punctures.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metrodome

DumpJerry
03-29-2005, 04:53 PM
Not sure where you got that but it's not true. Usually snow doesn't acumulate on the roof because they turn on the heat during snowstorms. 3 times the snow fell heavily enough that it did accumulate enough to cause small punctures.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metrodome
It was on the TV news on all the stations the day it happened, the Strib and Pioneer Press covered it. I saw the coverage. As a result of this incident, they changed things, so maybe turning up the heat was one of the solutions they came up with to prevent it from happening again. BTW, there was no mention of heating the dome in your link. I do remember the time it deflasted during a Twins game, my old girlfriend was at that game. A wind shear blew out the plugs on the vents. Scared everyone to death as the nearly one-ton speakers attached to the roof started swaying. She said it reallly felt like the sky was falling.....

red faber
03-29-2005, 10:00 PM

so they played 1 week longer than us....BIG FREAKING DEAL!!!!!!

unless you get past the first round,it doesn't really mean much...

PAPChiSox729
03-29-2005, 10:03 PM
so they played 1 week longer than us....BIG FREAKING DEAL!!!!!!

unless you get past the first round,it doesn't really mean much...

But still, making the playoffs is still an admirable feat no matter who else is in your division. Sure they haven't gone anywhere in the playoffs. But we as Sox fans can't really gloat about that.

Lip Man 1
03-29-2005, 10:56 PM
Tell that to the owners raking in additional sell outs.

Lip