PDA

View Full Version : White Sox marketing upsets sensitive Cubs fans

Uncle_Patrick
03-28-2005, 09:42 AM
I thought that this was too funny not to share. Some Cubbie fans are upset by a new Sox ad regarding the lame Cubbie tradition of throwing balls back into the stands. This is from a well-known Cubs site:

They are up to it again. The White Sox marketing crew has started with there annual rip on the cubs hoping that gets more butts in there seats.

This time they are talking about the Cubs tradition of throwing back an opponents baseball if they hit it out of the park. It goes something to the effect if the opponent hits out of the park keep it and give it to a young fan who's under 6 as Sox fan knows more about baseball then other fans know by 60 (referring to Cub fans).

This act is really getting old how does ripping the Cubs get more of your fans at your games. I know they wish they were us and sold out 90% of there games before the season even started but this just shows how they have nothing and have to use the Cubs to get attention.

:whiner: This followed by typical Cub fans responses: "As far as I'm concerned, there is only one baseball team in Chicago", "Sox are jealous because we sell more tickets", etc.

By the way, I haven't seen this ad, but thank God for it. Its about time people realized that throwing home run balls back is a Cubs tradition, and Cubs traditions have no place at US Cellular Field.

TommyJohn
03-28-2005, 10:58 AM
As far as I'm concerned I don't care what they think or what they write or that they use run-on sentences that seemingly have no punctuation or ending in sight or that they are mad over the marketing campaign or that we are jealous or that six year old Sox fans know more than 60 year old Cub fans or even that they cannot distinguish between "there" and "their."

Jerko
03-28-2005, 11:01 AM
It really bothers Cub fans when someone points out to them that they are not liked by the whole world. Hell, they based their whole fandom on a player that exemplifies that trait (Scammee), so it doesn't surprise me that they are offended that we don't like throwing things onto the field.

Hangar18
03-28-2005, 11:02 AM
I love the fact that some of "their traditions", like singing Take Me out to the Ballgame during the 7th inning Stretch was originally a WHITE SOX TRADITION.
Just like Playing "Sweet Home Chicago" and Frank Sinatras "Chicago"
after a SOX Win are White Sox Traditions. Nanana hey hey is a White Sox tradition. I think the White SOx are the team steeped in "Tradition",
much moreso than that northside corporation

daveeym
03-28-2005, 11:16 AM
They've been throwing hissy fits about this on the score and espn for sometime now.

PatK
03-28-2005, 12:26 PM
What's funny is that these so-called Cubs fans have no idea about the background of how the "throw it back" tradition came about.

SoxFan78
03-28-2005, 12:38 PM
What's funny that no where in the ad is "Cubs" mentioned, yet they think this ad is geared towards them. We could be talking about some other team.

I thought Cub fans didnt care about the White Sox?????

Hangar18
03-28-2005, 01:40 PM
They've been throwing hissy fits about this on the score and espn for sometime now.

Or how about the fact these POSERS dont even throw the REAL ball back,
but one they brought into the park beforehand. And ESPN is going
to get on their soapbox to defend the flubs ........ give me a break

DrCrawdad
03-28-2005, 01:42 PM
What's funny that no where in the ad is "Cubs" mentioned, yet they think this ad is geared towards them. We could be talking about some other team.

I thought Cub fans didnt care about the White Sox?????

Was this discussion on the Cubs MLB board? From what I've observed, Cubbie posters on the MLB site will say over and over how they don't care about the Sox. Yet there will be Sox threads started by Cub fans and then Sox threads started by Sox fans with dozens of Cubbie fans commenting on the team that don't care about.

Interestingly, I've seen over and over there that the posters who complain loudest about not caring about the Sox spend a lot of time at the Sox MLB site. If you don't care, why do you visit the Sox MLB site?

Uncle_Patrick
03-28-2005, 01:58 PM
Was this discussion on the Cubs MLB board?

No, it was over at cubstalk.com, although it might be on the MLB board, too.

Iwritecode
03-28-2005, 02:49 PM
By the way, I haven't seen this ad, but thank God for it. Its about time people realized that throwing home run balls back is a Cubs tradition, and Cubs traditions have no place at US Cellular Field.

http://www.twoxfour.com/webfiles/radio/

You can thank WSI member TwoByFour for the ad...

:)

C-Dawg
03-28-2005, 03:36 PM
.......It goes something to the effect if the opponent hits out of the park keep it and give it to a young fan who's under 6 .....

So the doofus Cub fan who is complaining about the Sox ad seems to think its PREFERABLE to throw the ball back onto the field rather than give it to a kid?

Right there, my friends, sums up what is wrong with Cub fans. :mad:

skobabe8
03-28-2005, 05:38 PM
I'm not gonna try to quote every post that made me laugh, b/c it was pretty much all of them. I also want to resist the urge of going to cubstalk b/c i may get kicked out of this library when i laugh uncontrollably.

:)

DumpJerry
03-28-2005, 05:39 PM
These people really need professional help. I think it is a deep-set jealousy that we can have fireworks and they can't. The neighbors will have a cow over it and the Urinal will fall down from the shock waves. We also will have more reasons for fireworks this year, ESPCIALLY IN OCTOBER!:D:

Whitesox029
03-28-2005, 10:56 PM
So the doofus Cub fan who is complaining about the Sox ad seems to think its PREFERABLE to throw the ball back onto the field rather than give it to a kid?

Right there, my friends, sums up what is wrong with Cub fans. :mad:
I wouldn't go so far as to say it sums up what is wrong with them, because there sure is a lot to sum up. Anyway, this moron doesn't seem to understand that the point of the ad is not to get more people to come to the Cell, but a request from the team not to take part in a stupid and possibly dangerous "tradition" that has no place in our ballpark.

I want Mags back
03-29-2005, 12:31 PM
Message to Cubs fans: **** OFF