PDA

View Full Version : Ozzie Concerned about Sox Spring Training, Too

Unregistered
03-28-2005, 12:57 AM
Guess most of us aren't the only ones.

"I don't care if it's spring training or midseason," Guillen said Sunday after a 15-9 loss to Seattle at the Peoria Sports Complex.

"We have work to do, and we have to prepare. We're playing lousy baseball right now, and I expect my players Monday to turn around and start playing the game. It's a long spring training, but I get sick and tired of not playing the game right."

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-050327sox,1,6213558.story?coll=cs-home-headlines&ctrack=3&cset=true

The_Cheesiest_Idiot
03-28-2005, 12:58 AM
when is he gonna put the everyday line up in there and have these guys start playing together. i'm still tired of seeing some of the minor league guys. IT'S TIME FOR GUYS TO PLAY WHERE THEY WILL DURING THE SEASON.

NSSoxFan
03-28-2005, 01:07 AM
when is he gonna put the everyday line up in there and have these guys start playing together. i'm still tired of seeing some of the minor league guys. IT'S TIME FOR GUYS TO PLAY WHERE THEY WILL DURING THE SEASON.

:chickenlittle

The_Cheesiest_Idiot
03-28-2005, 01:14 AM
where the **** do you think i'm saying the sky is falling. i'm pointing out that our everyday lineup needs to be played from this day forward. how else can guys be comfortable playing with each other. seeing how guys act on base and how they are in the field. i sure as hell don't want to go through the 1st month of the season doing that. but it's very easy to just put up a picture like you did without a real response or thought. but when someone has a serious thought or concern they are laughed at or shouted down. this is the time of the spring when teams should have things together. we don't. if you don't see that i'll buy you some glasses.

NSSoxFan
03-28-2005, 01:30 AM
where the **** do you think i'm saying the sky is falling. i'm pointing out that our everyday lineup needs to be played from this day forward. how else can guys be comfortable playing with each other. seeing how guys act on base and how they are in the field. i sure as hell don't want to go through the 1st month of the season doing that. but it's very easy to just put up a picture like you did without a real response or thought. but when someone has a serious thought or concern they are laughed at or shouted down. this is the time of the spring when teams should have things together. we don't. if you don't see that i'll buy you some glasses.

Calm down buddy. And no thanks I have contacts.

I do agree with you that some players have to learn what their teammates tendencies are. But you have to keep in mind that there are some roster spots that are still up in the air. Do we take Wilson Valdez north, or risk losing him in waivers? Does Ozuna make this team?

The only thing to be concerned about IMO is pitching, especially Contreras.

SoxWillWin
03-28-2005, 01:37 AM
so were 11 and 15 in ST.....big deal. Boston is 9 and 13 does that mean anything???? no. One little comment from Ozzie and people go all wierd. to quote Barry Bonds..."I'm Tired" of lounge chair managers.....if Ozzie doesn't do his job right he gets fired. That's up to him. Frankly I don't see how anyone can have any hope for the sox this season with all the negativity about things that mean nothing.

Jjav829
03-28-2005, 02:01 AM
I asked after Contreras' last game if there was any doubt that he'd walk 6 batters in his next start. He walked 5. Gave up 6 earned runs, 9 total, in 4 1/3 innings. He remains the biggest worry on the team. I'm not too concerned about anyone else and ST has done nothing to change my feelings on anyone, really. I still have all the same worries. I still think Contreras will suck. I still think Pods will be fine. About the only thing that has changed in my mind is that Pablo Ozuna should make this team.

BigEdWalsh
03-28-2005, 03:37 AM
Someone needs to tell Ozzie all he needs to do is research our message board. He will find probably a few hundred posts from which he can learn that spring training doesn't mean anything. Then he can calm down.
Ozzie, the sky is not falling. :smile:

Fredsox
03-28-2005, 05:13 AM
The sky might not be falling but on the other hand I don't think it's realistic to think that giving up as many runs as the Sox staff has in the last few games is by design. It's about this point that the pitchers should be ready and their work should reflect that. This thing that we keep hearing about pitchers with poor outings, "he's working on his changup" might be accurate but it's getting old.

Was it 2 years ago that the Sox had a really crappy ST from a pitching perspective? The line we got was "oh, the air is thin and the breaking balls don't break as well". Then we went out and pitched like that the whole season. Last year the pitching in ST improved and so did our season's work.

It's time for the pitching staff to step up. We have a tough schedule in April and we need to hit the ground running. We can't fly under the radar once the season starts so we should be thinking and performing like division champions now.

SoxWillWin
03-28-2005, 07:56 AM
I think we are entering the realm of

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=2628

Yes, we have pitching, chemistry, offense, and fielding worries. Yes the team needs to step it up with the season just around the corner. And Yes a lot of us INCLUDING ME feel that, at times, we could run the team better than the people who run it now. Moving on!!!!!!!

The Racehorse
03-28-2005, 08:08 AM
"The pitchers dictate how the game is going to be, and I think we're not doing a good job the past five days doing what we're supposed to do," Guillen said in a blunt but controlled tone.

I agree. As the staff goes, so goes this team's season. My calender is telling me it's the fifth week in March and while it's still spring training, it's time for pitchers to stop tinkering and start challenging hitters... and to start pitching inside [but limit walks]... start carrying a big attitude.

infohawk
03-28-2005, 10:30 AM
The only two guys I'm a bit worried about are Contreras and Pollitte. Some of the bullpen arms have had some rough outings, but haven't demonstrated a pattern of poor pitching. Contreras on the other hand seems to still suffer from big-time control issues. I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up in the bullpen, with McCarthy taking his turn in the rotation. I just wonder if Contreras might be better suited mentally for all-out short relief appearances. I'm going to check his numbers as a reliever with the Yankees. Pollitte always seems to get hit hard. It's that straight fastball. Ideally, I would like to see Pollitte as a mop up guy - a pitcher who spells the bullpen by coming in when the Sox are either way down or way up.

infohawk
03-28-2005, 10:54 AM
One other thing about the bullpen. This is just my observation, but is seemed that when Marte was absolutely dominating hitters, he would paint the outside of the strikezone with fastballs and sweeping breaking balls. Anymore, he doesn't seem to get those pitches called for strikes. The count will be 1-1 and he'll nail that outside line. I'm thinking "strike" and the umpire calls a ball. Big difference between 2-1 and 1-2. I know he has been told to pitch inside more often, which is good, but it just doesn't seem that he gets that pitch away called for a strike. When he throws it, it usually looks good to me.

CubKilla
03-28-2005, 11:36 AM
Boston is 9 and 13 does that mean anything???? no. Frankly I don't see how anyone can have any hope for the sox this season with all the negativity about things that mean nothing.

1.) The White Sox aren't the Boston Red Sox. Boston has won a ring and been to 2 WS's, that I can recall off of the top of my head, in my lifetime.

2.) If the White Sox were, at the worst, 15-11, you'd probably be extolling the chemistry of the new team and waxing poetically about how 2005 may be, "the year." After all, if the White Sox are 15-11 in ST playing split squad games, the everyday starters should have a better record. Right?

As is, you proclaim you, "aren't worried..... after all, it's ST."

Unregistered
03-28-2005, 11:38 AM

Yes, we have pitching, chemistry, offense, and fielding worries. Yes the team needs to step it up with the season just around the corner. And Yes a lot of us INCLUDING ME feel that, at times, we could run the team better than the people who run it now. Moving on!!!!!!! It's one thing for us fans to get concerned because, well, that's what we do. But when the manager of the team is stating publicly that he has concerns with the way the Sox are playing, I would call that news.

Unregistered
03-28-2005, 11:46 AM
2.) If the White Sox were, at the worst, 15-11, you'd probably be extolling the chemistry of the new team and waxing poetically about how 2005 may be, "the year." After all, if the White Sox are 15-11 in ST playing split squad games, the everyday starters should have a better record. Right?

As is, you proclaim you, "aren't worried..... after all, it's ST." And again, no one is concerned because the Sox are under .500 for the Spring. Everybody with any sense knows that ST wins and losses don't mean ****. It's the fact that our pitchers are going out there and getting PUMMELED.

The sky is most certainly NOT falling - especially considering the season hasn't started yet. But that doesn't mean people who are concerned with these performances are getting worried for no reason.

delben91
03-28-2005, 12:26 PM
I admit that I'm as frustrated as the next guy about the latest Sox performances. That said, it's ST, and I'll wait until next week to start any earnest fretting.

LVSoxFan
03-28-2005, 12:41 PM
Talk to me at the All-Star Break!

:gulp:

Lip Man 1
03-28-2005, 12:47 PM
I'm glad Ozzie did this..the pitchers especially the bullpen (Marte, Politte and at times Hermanson) have been really bad. I also wouldn't give you a 100% guarantee right now that McCarthy is going to start the season in Triple A. Anjother bad outing by Jose' (can you see) and you might see Ozzie pull a shocker.

Time is running out to 'get it together'. I'd imagine the time for trying to 'locate' your pitches or 'work' on pitches is past.

One word of caution however. Arizona with it's altitude, winds and low humidity is NOT Florida and NOT MLB stadiums in cool or cold April. Pitches tend to get hammered far more in the Southwest then they do in say Cleveland or Pittsburgh in April.

Lip

Ol' No. 2
03-28-2005, 01:08 PM
Look a the pitchers who have been getting pummeled the last few days. A lot of them are not going to start the season on the roster. Contreras seems to be still tipping his pitches. I don't know what they're going to have to do to stop that, but they'd better come up with something, because word has obviously gotten around. His forkball is only really effective if it's thrown out of the zone. If they know it's coming and lay off and force him to throw the fastball, he's toast.

I think it's time to start playing the regulars (at least 6-7 innings) and let them get tuned up for the season. It's not as if there are still decisions to be made. Ozuna is almost a lock to make the final roster spot. As I see it, the only decision left is Cotts vs. Walker.

Hangar18
03-28-2005, 01:22 PM
The only two guys I'm a bit worried about are Contreras and Pollitte.

Man, I never liked Cliff Pollitte. Im worried about Contreras, but for the 1st time in probably 10 years, the SOX are going into a season with a question mark in the rotation ...... BUT WITH SOMETHING TO FALL BACK ON should
something go wrong. Contreras will bomb (ala Kirk McCaskill) and the Kid Brandon McCarthy will come up and take up the slack. That said however,
Contreras will get new life out of the Bullpen and do great for us (ala Kirk McCaskill)

infohawk
03-28-2005, 01:41 PM
That said however,
Contreras will get new life out of the Bullpen and do great for us (ala Kirk McCaskill)

I completely agree, Hangar. It just seems that Contreras is almost destined for the bullpen. I'm not sure his problems can be completely fixed. The Sox were talking about him tipping his pitches when they acquired him last season. Wouldn't they have corrected it by now? Contreras may be one of those guys that is hell's bells for one or two innings, though.

Politte kind of reminds me of a slightly more effective Billy Koch. I only say that because both of them get into trouble with a hard but straight fastball. Its too bad, because I like Politte personally.

SoxWillWin
03-28-2005, 01:44 PM
1.) The White Sox aren't the Boston Red Sox. Boston has won a ring and been to 2 WS's, that I can recall off of the top of my head, in my lifetime.

As is, you proclaim you, "aren't worried..... after all, it's ST."

So what is your point.......other than to make yourself feel better about your view on my comments???? The White sox sre not the red sox true....but this years white sox are in fact not the white sox. As far as extolling the BLAH BLAH BLAH.............Do you KNOW me????? do you have some wierd psychic power???? If not keep your personal attacks to yourself and talk about the team. MOVING ON!!!!!!!!

SoxWillWin
03-28-2005, 01:53 PM

Yes, we have pitching, chemistry, offense, and fielding worries. Yes the team needs to step it up with the season just around the corner. And Yes a lot of us INCLUDING ME feel that, at times, we could run the team better than the people who run it now. Moving on!!!!!!!
also someone didn't read this post in this same thread......I'm not disputing anything. There are worries, but us sitting here going on, and on, and on about isn't going to change the situation. So once again....MOVING ON.

California Sox
03-28-2005, 01:59 PM
Arizona's a great place to hit. But like a lot of people, I'm worried that one of our starters is tipping his pitches AND walking the world. That's a recipe for a series of guaranteed loss nights. I hope I'm wrong, but at 6 mil per annum I could see the Sox giving Contreras quite a few starts to prove he sucks before they do anything about it (ala Todd Ritchie and Jaime Navarro).

Lip Man 1
03-28-2005, 05:06 PM
Today's performance by Jon Garland did nothing to inspire confidence did it?

If I were the Sox I'd keep a close eye on McCarthy and a close eye on the waiver wire. Even at this late date someone may become available (perhaps due to financial reasons) who could be an upgrade for the back end of the rotation.

Hernandez, Contrares and Garland have had 'rocky' Spring's to put it mildly. Me thinks somewhere along the way the Sox are going to realize they need another solid starter.

Lip

Hangar18
03-28-2005, 05:35 PM
Arizona's a great place to hit. But like a lot of people, I'm worried that one of our starters is tipping his pitches AND walking the world. That's a recipe for a series of guaranteed loss nights. I hope I'm wrong, but at 6 mil per annum I could see the Sox giving Contreras quite a few starts to prove he sucks before they do anything about it (ala Todd Ritchie and Jaime Navarro).

Man, I didnt think of that. This guy could possibly have to go 0-7
before they remove him ........ and by that time, the Tigers and Twinks
will be sloowwly pulling away .....

Unregistered
03-28-2005, 05:37 PM
Man, I didnt think of that. This guy could possibly have to go 0-7
before they remove him ........ and by that time, the Tigers and Twinks
will be sloowwly pulling away .....the ****ing TIGERS?!? Hangar, get a grip!