PDA

View Full Version : Sox fans at Wigley Field

soxwon
03-27-2005, 04:48 PM
I know on occasion, Us sox fans go to wrigley field.

two questions.

1 who has NEVER been to a night game there?
2 How many games have you seen at Wrigley?

The Racehorse
03-27-2005, 04:52 PM

two questions.

answers
1. me
2. one

ChiSoxRowand
03-27-2005, 05:04 PM
There are a lot of Cub fans in my family so I have been to a lot of games at Wrigley. Never been to a night game.

Foulke29
03-27-2005, 05:08 PM

two questions.

1. I've not been.
2. One - Vs. San Diego in 1985

TDog
03-27-2005, 06:29 PM
Family members took me to Cubs home games when I was a kid wanting them to take me to see the Sox. I can recall three. The first was in 1969. The last was in 1971. I saw a twi-night doubleheader in Forbes Field in 1969, so almost half my ivy experience was after 6 p.m. and in Pittsburgh

Johnny Mostil
03-27-2005, 06:57 PM
I've seen a handful of games there. I can't recall precisely how many, but I haven't been there in at least a dozen years. I've never seen a night game there.

robertks61
03-27-2005, 07:09 PM
I get out there usually once a summer. Opening day last year & froze. I'll see the White Sox on 5/22 this year.

About 4 night games.

baseball_fanatic
03-27-2005, 07:20 PM
I've been to 5 games at Wrigley. One of those was a night game in 1998.

BigEdWalsh
03-27-2005, 07:27 PM
I've never gone to a night game at Wrigley. In fact the last time I was at the Urinal was in the mid-70's. The first one was in '62. I used to go with Cub fan friends when I was a kid. I've been to probably 6 or 7 games and to the best of my memory, I never saw the Cubs win.:D:

whitesoxwilkes
03-27-2005, 07:37 PM
I get to between 6 and 10 games a year there. Most of them are at night.

I'm completely incognito when I go...I usually wear a Bears hat. I don't razz anyone (except when they play the Sox, of course) and don't let anyone razz me.

If someone asks, I tell them I'm a Sox fan. Debate ensues. I win.

Clembasbal
03-27-2005, 08:02 PM
I have never been to a night game, and I have only been to a Cubs game without my family once when the played the Sox...(we won by the way).

DumpJerry
03-27-2005, 08:17 PM
No night games. I went to the Sox game there last year on July 2, my first time in the place since 1984. 1984, went once, first time since around 1973.

I get my shots before each game I attend there.....

LongLiveFisk
03-27-2005, 08:28 PM
In my life I'd say I've been to about 6 or 7 Cubs games at Wrigley, and I don't think any of them were night games. I usually end up going to a game once every 5 or 6 years (free tickets or something like that). I go mainly because I love baseball, and in some ways being at Wrigley reminds me of Old Comiskey (just in that old classic ballpark sense).

But don't worry. I NEVER cheer for the Cubs. :cool:

CubsfansareDRUNK
03-27-2005, 08:37 PM
Never been there. Dont want to go there. My friend once wore all his sox garb and rooted for the 'stros and people were betting on what inning he would get shot in.

C-Dawg
03-27-2005, 08:39 PM
I've probably been maybe 6-8 times. Saw the Cubs-Reds in a 16-15 slugfest in 1977 that Jack Brickhouse used as the standard bearer in slugfests for a couple years (at least until the 23-22 game against Philly some time later). Pete Rose led off the game with a solo homer; after one inning the score was something like 6-4 Reds. The Cubs eventually won it however.

Saw a Cubs-Cardinals doubleheader a couple years later (?) in which they honored Brick in between games, it was his 1000th or 5000th game, or something like that. Jayne Byrne and Gov. Thompson gave speeches.

I was last there in 1980, or it WAS the last game until last July 4th when I saw the Sox lose 2-1 in my only night game at the Crumbling Confines.

santo=dorf
03-27-2005, 09:07 PM
I haven't been to one since 1997, but I went to a total of 4 or 5, and they lost every time. :D:

I only went because it was a field trip for my school or my mom's school.

Max Power
03-27-2005, 09:13 PM
1. I've been to a few night game including one of the first night games back in '88 and the notorious game against the Dodgers a few years ago.
2. I've probably been to 25 or so games as a spectator. I also worked as a vendor for a few seasons, so I've been to around 200 games there.
Fortunetly I haven't been to a game there in a couple seasons.

SoxFan76
03-27-2005, 09:33 PM
I've been to way too many Cub games. Last season against the Mets was the final straw. I was behind this guy who looked like Shooter McGavin from Happy Gilmore, and he was your typical Cub fan. Was on his cell phone most of the time, was with his girlfriend and kept trying to teach her about baseball (and did not succeed), and kept trying to emulate the beer man. I don't know if this guy saw one pitch. After the Cubs won, I was ready to crawl into a hole. I was wearing my Sox hat, but that was it. I wasn't obnoxious by any means. Then on the way out, a guy calls me and shakes my hand. He was a Sox fan, he said we gotta stick together. Even though such a thing like going to a Cub game ruined my day, that made it a little better.

Uncle_Patrick
03-27-2005, 09:39 PM
The first baseball game I ever went to was at Wrigley. It was the Cubs vs. the Astros and I was 6 or 7. I got the tickets through school, I don't remember how, and my mom took me. I think I've been there maybe 6 or 8 times, but mostly when I was kid. I've only been there twice in probably the last 15 years, once for a bachelor party and then again last year for a work outing, which was, coincidentaly, the first game they played with those stupid nets to catch the falling concrete.

I've never been to a night game there.

JoseCanseco6969
03-27-2005, 10:03 PM

two questions.

1. never
2. 2 and they were Cubs vs SOX. no need to go there otherwise

Palehose13
03-27-2005, 10:11 PM
I've only been to one game and it was during the day. I was 23 and went kicking and screaming because I had hoped to never, ever go to one in my life. We sat in the bleachers. I thinK I was the only one watching the game. It totally sucked and I will never, ever go back unless the Sox are playing there.

row18
03-27-2005, 10:14 PM
Never been to a night game.

I try to make it out to see some of the bigger names in the NL, Pujols, Junior, Bonds etc, by being a baseball fan I'll like to tell my children and grandchildren (whenever they are born) that I saw all the greats of my era.

Palehose13
03-27-2005, 10:15 PM

I try to make it out to see some of the bigger names in the NL, Pujols, Junior, Bonds etc, by being a baseball fan I'll like to tell my children and grandchildren (whenever they are born) that I saw all the greats of my era.

I do that at Miller Park. :cool:

Banix12
03-28-2005, 12:37 AM

I went to three games, all last season, all because I got free tickets. Twice the seats were right behind the cubs dugout and once in a skybox. In retrospect I should have scalped the seats to put a dent in the student loans.

DrCrawdad
03-28-2005, 12:51 AM

two questions.

1. Three night games.
2. About ten games total.

I didn't go to my first game there until I was 21 years old. I was at Prior's first game at The Shrine and sat in the left field bleachers, front row. That was a night game.

One night game I went to was with my Cub fan father-in-law. We sat a few rows behind the Cubs dugout. A female Cub fan asked us where the scoreboard was. Then Cub fans sitting behind me were yelling for the attention of Sammy Sosa, whom they thought was standing just outside the dugout. The player was actually Glenn Alyn Hill. I kindly pointed out to the Cubbie fans that Sosa was about 400 feet away warming up between innings in right field.

dcb33
03-28-2005, 01:32 AM
I've never been to Wrigley Field.

ChiWhiteSox1337
03-28-2005, 01:35 AM
I was there once, during the day. I decided the stadium sucked, and so did the team. Left in about the 4th inning.

WinningUgly!
03-28-2005, 02:00 AM
I've never been there. I've always said that the only way I'd ever go would be if the Sox were playing the sCrUBS in the World Series...I'll never be there.

wood28
03-28-2005, 07:29 AM
I have been to one night game, only because my then girlfriend now wife happened to win some tickets.

As faras the number of games I have been to, let me say that I have seen more Chicago Sting soccer games there than the Flubs

eriqjaffe
03-28-2005, 08:46 AM
I've never been to a night game there, but I've been to probably about 8 or 9 games there, including the pre-season "Crosstown Classic" game that Michael Jordan played RF in.

The last two times I was there was 2 years ago where they lost to the Brewers (my office sponsored a trip, we had the entire "family section" in RF to ourselves), and my brother-in-law got tix last year to a game against the Dodgers - whom are my NL team of choice, having spent 8 years in LA. Sat in the last row of the upper deck, my wife spent the game unsure of whether to be more nervous about the netted concrete or the fact that only a chain-link fence was there to keep us from falling to the ground behind us.

My dad, however, always knew better - the only time I've ever seen him set foot in Wrigley was when we went with my Cub fan uncle (on my mom's side), way back in the late 70's. Every other game I've been to in Chicago with my dad was on the south side.

DrCrawdad
03-28-2005, 11:23 AM
My dad, however, always knew better - the only time I've ever seen him set foot in Wrigley was when we went with my Cub fan uncle (on my mom's side), way back in the late 70's. Every other game I've been to in Chicago with my dad was on the south side.

My dad was entirely a Sox fan. Dad NEVER attended a game at Wrigley Field. In fact, when I went to my first game there we had been given four free tickets. My dad said, "Why the hell would I want to go there?"

Dad died in '95 and he never set foot at Wrigley. He died a happy man.

My dad's brother is every bit the White Sox fan my dad was. My uncle had been to Wrigley, although that was for a Bears v Cardinals game. My uncle had not been there for a baseball game. So, in 2000 I took had four tickets to the Sunday Cubs v. Sox game. My uncle agreed to go. We had a great time, even though the Sox lost that game.

http://homepage.mac.com/dcrosby/.Pictures/Wrigley01.jpg

kittle42
03-28-2005, 05:12 PM
I'll be at opening day with my Brewers C Lee jersey on next Friday.

Hangar18
03-28-2005, 07:33 PM
June of 1999. Sox vs Cubs. Best 3 games ever. The 9th inning
"Shot-heard-round-Chicago" in game 3. After the final out was made,
a huge bubble POP! could be heard in Wrigleyville, startling citizens
and Ohare air traffic controllers. The Pop Sound? The Cubs world series
bubble popping, heh heh

skobabe8
03-28-2005, 07:36 PM
1. I went last year to the infamous July 4th game. :angry: I was also at the game they clinched against the Pirates in 2003. :angry: I'm not sure which one was worse, now that I think about it.

2. In total, I've probably been there 4 times.

TommyJohn
03-28-2005, 08:03 PM
I've never been there as a fan. However, I did work there from 1985-93 as a
vendor. I was there for both first night games- the 8/8/88 one which "the
baseball gods" rained out (what-the-****-ever) and the first official one
the next night; I was also there for the 1990 All-Star game. I can distinctly
remember one game where the Sox were playing Cleveland at the same time.
The scoreboard operators put up the final score, which was 17-0, White Sox.
I can remember hearing a low "ooooohhh" from some of the crowd as they put
up the final score. I think it happened in 1987.

Vestigio
03-29-2005, 12:25 AM

1. Once in 2000, I believe, when they were playing the Rockies

2. Eh, probably around 8 or 9 games; the last being the 2000 game. Most of the times I went to Wrigley was on a class trip. We couldnt go to Sox games because the area around Comiskey too dangerous:rolleyes:

cubhater
03-29-2005, 07:25 AM

two questions.

1. Two games. My buddy's nephew used to play for the Braves and got us great comp seats five rows behind home plate. I went their last year (free tix from my girlfriend's office) during their annual end-of-the-season freefall against the Reds. I wasn't obnoxious nor wore any Sox stuff, but had a smirk on my face the entire time.:cool:

2. I've been to quite a few games at the Urinal as a kid, mostly during summer vacations when my mom and I would visit Chicago. I couldn't wait for the Sox to get back to town and see a real team!

Can't tell you how many Sox games I've seen there, probably about 6-7 since interleague play started.

chisoxfan64
03-29-2005, 03:59 PM

two questions.

I have been to 1 night game there and probably 10 other games.
Each game I attended at the Urinal i had either a shirt or a hat on for whatever team they were playing, money well spent I think. Drives those Flub fans crazy.

soxfan43
03-29-2005, 09:36 PM
i've been to a bunch at the urinal, but the best was when mac and shammy were going at that one season for espn sunday night baseball. i was there for a friends birthday and we were all drinking in the bleachers. Unfortunately I was in high school at the time and apparently they have this rule on the north side where you have to be 21 to drink. so of course when espn cuts back from commercial tehy show the bleachers, showing all of us youngans drinking. they kicked us out, but it was great hearing people(even scrub fans) chanting 'let them stay'. worst part was we see the end of the game and mac jacked a homer right where we had been sitting. oh well, though i've always wanted to catch a visiting team's HR and not throw it back at wrigley.

Norberto7
03-29-2005, 10:47 PM
I've gone twice, once we had bleacher tickets, which were general admission...since parking around there forced me to sacrifice my first born, we were late getting in and had to stand at the back the whole game. Did get to see Ronnie Woo-Woo, though.

Gosox1917
03-29-2005, 10:47 PM
Never been to a night game, but I've been to one game at the Urinal. The first Sox/Cubs game of the year in 2003. The one where Miguel Olivo hit a grand slam in the first inning. Great moment. It was nice to be able to wear my Sox jersey in that dump with my Sox killing the Cubs, I think the final score was
12-3.

cubhater
03-29-2005, 10:49 PM
oh well, though i've always wanted to catch a visiting team's HR and not throw it back at wrigley.

My dream is to throw back a meaningless Cub homer at the Urinal with the Sox leading by 10 runs in game 7 of the WS.:cool:

cubhater
03-29-2005, 10:54 PM
Did get to see Ronnie Woo-Woo, though.

As if that wasn't enough to ruin your experiece at the Shrine.

peeonwrigley
03-30-2005, 01:51 AM
I went their last year (free tix from my girlfriend's office) during their annual end-of-the-season freefall against the Reds. I wasn't obnoxious nor wore any Sox stuff, but had a smirk on my face the entire time.:cool:

I went to one of those twelve inning gems last year vs the Reds. It was a beautiful sight to behold. I could not think of a better place to be as their playoff hopes went down the drain. They blew the game about six times over, I had a HUGE smile on my face as I left that place.

I've been to one night game. It makes you realize how big a dump that place is, if you didn't already. I've probably been to about 20 games there in my life... mostly Cubs/Cards as my dad grew up a Cards fan before switching his allegiance to the Sox. I've always proudly, yet subtly cheered for the teams wearing gray.

soxfan43
03-30-2005, 08:08 AM
My dream is to throw back a meaningless Cub homer at the Urinal with the Sox leading by 10 runs in game 7 of the WS.:cool:

Ya that would be great as well.

skobabe8
03-30-2005, 05:52 PM
Never been to a night game, but I've been to one game at the Urinal. The first Sox/Cubs game of the year in 2003. The one where Miguel Olivo hit a grand slam in the first inning. Great moment. It was nice to be able to wear my Sox jersey in that dump with my Sox killing the Cubs, I think the final score was
12-3.

A-W-E-S-O-M-E-!

JB98
03-30-2005, 09:42 PM
I've been to Wrigley five times, but never for a night game. Two of the games were class trips when I was in junior high. Another was an interleague game against the Royals in '99. My best friend is a KC fan, so we went there to root for the Royals and taunt Cubs fans. Naturally, the godawful Royals knocked off the even-worse Cubs, and we had a field day heckling the fans. In 2001, I got free tickets from my boss, and we watched Carrie Woods lose to the Expos. Good times. :cool:

AZChiSoxFan
03-31-2005, 11:18 AM
One night game I went to was with my Cub fan father-in-law. We sat a few rows behind the Cubs dugout. A female Cub fan asked us where the scoreboard was. Then Cub fans sitting behind me were yelling for the attention of Sammy Sosa, whom they thought was standing just outside the dugout. The player was actually Glenn Alyn Hill. I kindly pointed out to the Cubbie fans that Sosa was about 400 feet away warming up between innings in right field.

That is classic!! You should consider using that paragraph as your auto signature.

I've only been to the Urinal one time (1998), which is one time too many.

mccombe_35
03-31-2005, 11:47 AM
1. nope

2. 3 games in my life.

1st one was as a very young kid. My whole family got food poisoning for the food at Wrigley. 2nd one was opening day in 1995. My senior year in high school. Me & 2 other guys ditched school & drank 40's on the train on the way to the park. Sammy HR'ed, Cubs won. 3rd time was in 2003. Sox / Cubs game. After going to only New Comiskey / the Cell for the 8 years in between I really realized how crappy that park is. Do they have beer vendors? lol I had to go into the dungeon under the stands for each beer, & wait in the longest line on earth. I missed the Sox only HR of the day while in line. Cubs won. It was not a good time.....

Iwritecode
03-31-2005, 01:22 PM
I've been to Wrigley 3 times in my life. The first two were Saturday Sox/Cubs games back in the late 90's when it wasn't quite as difficult to get tickets. My friend (a Cubs fan) and I would alternate every year between the two parks to watch the two teams play each other.

The third time was in 2001 and it was a night game. I went to a Sox game during the day and then drove over to watch the Cubs play Houston that night. It was also the first game at Wrigley since the WTC bombing. You may remember Shammy running around the bases after hitting a homerun carrying an American flag. :rolleyes: Luckily I was down getting what they pass as "food" when it happened. :cool:

The Sox won and the Cubs lost so it was a perfect day. I wore a Sox hat, jersey and jacket and nobody bothered me at all. :D: