PDA

View Full Version : Yakult Swallows

house215
03-27-2005, 02:47 AM
My brother just moved to Japan and one of the first things he did was go to a Yakult Swallows baseball game. The Yakult Swallows are Shingo Taktsu's former team and he wore the Shingo Sox jersey I gave him as a going away gift. A lot of fans came up to him and said "Ooooh ... TAKATSU! We rike. You steal. Ha!"

StepsInSC
03-27-2005, 10:05 AM
Haha. Gotta love Japanese baseball.

I actually just found a photo from my time over there of Iguchi - from far away but still him - but I remember talking about him with co-workers at the time. I think there were other MLB teams trying to snag him. It was in 2003, the year his team won the Japan championship.

He was the MVP of this game, so its him being interviewed afterwards like they do after every game. (http://people.clemson.edu/~vstephe/japan/baseball17.jpg)

BTW, I always loved that team name: "The Swallows". Nothing instills fear into the beating heart like that of he who hears that name!

brewcrew/chisox
03-27-2005, 10:35 AM
i spent almost two years over there and had the opportunity to see a good number of games. I mostly followed The Yokohama Baystars because I walked by the stadium on my way to work twice a week and I could catch a game or two. I also got to see Shingo a few years back (on a return trip) as the Yakult Swallows played the Hiroshima Carp. Great time. A few observations about Japanese baseball:

1. Drinking Beer and Eating dried squid in the bleachers

2. Organized cheering and songs about players

3. You can't watch extra-inning games on Tv most times because the networks won't let the game cut into the evening news (drove me nuts over there)

4. Former mediorcre MLB players making a living out there (remember Kevin Bass and Glen Braggs anyone?).

5 Hating the Giants

6. Ichiro, Ichiro, Ichiro

7. Teams named after companies (Yakult is a yogurt)

kingpin_rcs
03-27-2005, 12:39 PM
I wonder how long it will be before before MLB starts to sell out the teams to corporations. Can you imagine "The US Cellular White Sox?" We are not that far off this year with "The Chicago White Sox presented by US Cellular".

TimoPerez
03-27-2005, 01:28 PM
i spent almost two years over there and had the opportunity to see a good number of games. I mostly followed The Yokohama Baystars because I walked by the stadium on my way to work twice a week and I could catch a game or two. I also got to see Shingo a few years back (on a return trip) as the Yakult Swallows played the Hiroshima Carp. Great time. A few observations about Japanese baseball:

1. Drinking Beer and Eating dried squid in the bleachers

2. Organized cheering and songs about players

3. You can't watch extra-inning games on Tv most times because the networks won't let the game cut into the evening news (drove me nuts over there)

4. Former mediorcre MLB players making a living out there (remember Kevin Bass and Glen Braggs anyone?).

5 Hating the Giants

6. Ichiro, Ichiro, Ichiro

7. Teams named after companies (Yakult is a yogurt)

Did you see Timo play for the Carp, or were you there before or after he played there?

TDog
03-27-2005, 02:16 PM
The Yakult Swallows have long had an American following. I know that a few years ago, the Swallows were still training in Yuma, Arizona, in February. When the Padres were still training in Yuma, their exhibition season started with a charity exhibition against the Swallows.

I was out at the Ray Kroc Baseball Complex late in the 1980s and saw Floyd Bannister wearing a Swallows uniform.

kbriley
03-27-2005, 10:27 PM
My favorite team name in Japan is the "Nippon Ham" fighters. A team named after a company that sells ham I guess.......

brewcrew/chisox
03-27-2005, 11:23 PM
Did you see Timo play for the Carp, or were you there before or after he played there?

i don't remember seeing him. I was there in 94 & 95; Didn't Timo start playing for the Carp in 96?

TimoPerez
03-28-2005, 12:09 AM
i don't remember seeing him. I was there in 94 & 95; Didn't Timo start playing for the Carp in 96?

Yes. Timo played with the Hiroshima Carp from 1996 to 1999. I guess there is a good reason you don't remember seeing him.:tongue: