PDA

View Full Version : Carmen DiFalco's announcing

I want Mags back
03-26-2005, 10:43 PM
What are your thoughts on him today

SoxFan76
03-26-2005, 11:25 PM
He sounded good. No complaints from the few innings i heard.

NowBatting19
03-26-2005, 11:31 PM
I thought he did pretty good job too...even used a couple of Hawks signature calls which was pretty funny. Was that his first time in the booth? (Radio or t.v.)

mealfred13
03-26-2005, 11:57 PM
Well Hawk told him he's the best guy he's ever heard on his first try. I'd go even further and say he sounded like he's been doing it for a while. Good PBP too.

GiveMeSox
03-27-2005, 12:57 AM
What are your thoughts on him today

He reminds me of one of us. A young 20 something die hard sox fan who is very knowledgable like he reads every fantasy blurb posted at rotoworld. Sounds just like me.

VivaOzzie
03-27-2005, 04:05 AM
Definitely prefer him to DJ. I think he works well with Hawk and provides a lot of great filler (as opposed to a lot of DJ's silence). Although I dont get to hear a lot of Sox broadcasts due to having to listen to Detroit Tiger's garf...

soxfan43
03-27-2005, 09:09 AM
He's a lot better than DJ, though that isn't saying much. Is he going to replace wills for the pregame show??

Brian26
03-27-2005, 09:28 AM
He reminds me of one of us. A young 20 something die hard sox fan who is very knowledgable like he reads every fantasy blurb posted at rotoworld. Sounds just like me.

I'm happy for him and some of the other guys on AM 1000 who are starting to be taken seriously. Silvy, Michael Goldnick, Jeff Dickerson....these guys pretty much worked their way up from doing Sportscenter updates every hour to getting their own shows. Now they're 10 times better to listen to than anything on the Score.

Clembasbal
03-27-2005, 09:54 AM
I thought he was pretty solid. He did a good job, and he has a good voice. I think it is abetter suited for radio though. If he takes over for Willsy then I would be ok with that, so far. I would need to hear him more to fully support this.

SpammySosa
03-27-2005, 11:58 AM
Wow,I guess I must be the only one not drinking Carmen Kool-Aid.With this being his first opportunity,I knew not to expect him to be spectacular.Even so,I still wasn't that thrilled with his performance.I thought he sounded even more blah than DJ and I wouldn't anticipate him sounding better,even if he worked the games regularly.Now we have Ed Farmer to look forward to.
I knew DJ was supposed to miss a few broadcasts this spring,but maybe I missed something-what does Hawk mean when he says DJ is "on assignment"?
Lastly,I am curious who people enjoyed hearing in the booth more this spring-Robin or Carmen?Unfortunately I didn't have the chance to hear Robin,though I think I would have enjoyed it,if only because he was a favorite player.

WhiteSoxFan84
03-27-2005, 12:14 PM
I didn't hear a lot of the broadcast but what I did hear is that commericial he's in which airs on ESPN AM 1000. It's a commericial for I believe Mama Rosa's or something. The line that I love is when he says he's thinking about grilling pasta and this girl tells him that that's impossible and he says...

"Only a Cubs World Series is impossible....we all know that".

I love it.

The parts of the broadcast I did hear were pretty solid. I actually thought it was Robin Ventura doing the PBP :redneck

SOXSINCE'70
03-27-2005, 12:41 PM
Carmen was waaaayyyy more ear friendly than DJ.

It's not that I don't like DJ,but he can be too corny
for my liking at times.:gulp: :gulp:

I want Mags back
03-27-2005, 12:41 PM
He's a lot better than DJ, though that isn't saying much. Is he going to replace wills for the pregame show??

I'm assuming so

CleeFan101
03-27-2005, 05:12 PM
i donno i didnt think he did a bad job but he isnt the guy that i would like as my everyday announcer, maybe its just his voice idonno but i like the good old Hawk/DJ combo just fine.

hsnterprize
03-27-2005, 09:02 PM
I haven't heard much of Carmen announcing, but lemme tell ya one thing...I went to college with that guy, and he's a true-blue, 100% sold-out Sox fan. I remember when he was an occasional co-host on my college radio sports-talk show. Now, he's worked his way up to the big time.

Congratulations, Mr. DeFalco. I'll see you in the press box again sometime.

Gosox1917
03-27-2005, 11:36 PM
I thought Carmen sounded great on Saturday. Better than DJ and could definitely pursue a career in sports broadcasting (not sure what his job is exactly now). I loved the game Robin did with Hawk. They mostly talked about the early 90's teams and you can't help but laugh at Robin's dry sense of humor. Don't think I would want to listen to a Robin and Hawk duo for a whole season though because it Robin is just so dry and would probably get boring after a while.

duke of dorwood
03-27-2005, 11:51 PM
He was very good-a definate burst of energy showing thru even a pre season game.

SSN721
03-28-2005, 06:49 AM
I didn't hear a lot of the broadcast but what I did hear is that commericial he's in which airs on ESPN AM 1000. It's a commericial for I believe Mama Rosa's or something. The line that I love is when he says he's thinking about grilling pasta and this girl tells him that that's impossible and he says...

I love it.

The parts of the broadcast I did hear were pretty solid. I actually thought it was Robin Ventura doing the PBP :redneck

I am pretty sure the commercial is for Jon Chicos Menswear. He is just in the back kitchen with the matriarch Chico picking up cooking tips when the daughter Chico walks in.

MARTINMVP
03-28-2005, 11:48 AM

I love it.

The commercial is for John Cicco's Menswear in Indiana.

Carmen will be on with Hawk again tomorrow.

SpammySosa
03-28-2005, 05:23 PM
The commercial is for John Cicco's Menswear in Indiana.

Carmen will be on with Hawk again tomorrow.

I went to the Merrilville location last year for an AM1000 promotion.Carmen and Dan Mac were on hand to have a grill cookoff and shoot the breeze.In addition,they raffled off some jerseys from Triple Threat as well as other items and had some good eats. Ron Kittle is apparently friends with the Cicco family and showed up for a while too. A fun time was had by all.:redneck

Rocklive99
03-28-2005, 06:24 PM
On MJH today Mac said that the announcment of the new Sox pre/post game show guy would come on April 4th, a half hour before the game :rolleyes:

spongyfungy
03-29-2005, 03:56 PM
I'm hearing him today but I don't think it's fair comparing Carmen, who's doing pbp, to DJ who does the analysis. DJ has a hybrid role and I bet it handcuffs him. DJ sounds better without Hawk (Fox) or when he does the pbp.

Carmen better get the pre/post job

SoxxoS
03-29-2005, 04:00 PM
How about instead of the pre/post, he just replaces DJ? He is solid.

CPditka
03-29-2005, 04:47 PM
The only thing DJ adds is his relative knowledge of Japanese Baseball. Carmen DiFalco amazed me today (rockies) with his random knowledge of baseball trivia, and indepth player knowledge. He went in depth on both the A's and Rockies Orgzn's.

I very much enjoyed hearing him, he complimented Hawk very well.

As much as many people are Anti-DJ, I am now Pro-Carmen, and not vice-versa.

The Cheat
03-29-2005, 04:50 PM
I'm hearing him today but I don't think it's fair comparing Carmen, who's doing pbp, to DJ who does the analysis. DJ has a hybrid role and I bet it handcuffs him. DJ sounds better without Hawk (Fox) or when he does the pbp.

Carmen better get the pre/post job
A few weeks ago Silvy congratulated him on getting the gig, Carmen said "nothing's official", but it's a done deal.

ChicagoHoosier
03-29-2005, 04:50 PM
I think Carmen is doing a very good job today and would like to see him kept around in some capacity. I also am not the biggest fan of DJ as the CC.

One thought, that I believe several teams have done in the past, is to split the duties. Kind of like how Farmer and Rooney do on the radio, maybe a good future pairing would be Hawk and Carmen and have them split time in their roles of play by play vs. commentator.

SIX DAYS TO GO!!!

The Cheat
03-29-2005, 04:53 PM
A few weeks ago Silvy congratulated him on getting the gig, Carmen said "nothing's official", but it's a done deal.

I should add, that I've heard there will be multiple hosts for the show... i.e. Carmen one day, Somebody else :o: another...

soxfan43
03-29-2005, 05:47 PM
Hopefully Carmen will get the pre game gig. I doubt DJ is going anywhere for now but maybe in the near future Carmen will take over. I went to school with his cousin and they both seem to be die hard sox fans, not just career baseball people who jump from team to team. it's good to hear a die hard fan on the air.

Over By There
03-29-2005, 06:25 PM
I should add, that I've heard there will be multiple hosts for the show... i.e. Carmen one day, Somebody else :o: another...

Man, I hope that's not the case. That's what they've been doing on the Bulls pre/post this year, and I don't like it. God forbid we have to listen to Chris Boden and Mike Ogulnick splitting duties with Carmen. Yuck.

Maybe AM 1000 could just hire a few more charismatic people over there so Carmen isn't spread so thin, and we could hear less shows hosted by Jeff Dickerson, Dave Juday, Boden, Ogulnick, etc. Those guys should be doing SportsCenter updates, and thats it.

I want Mags back
03-29-2005, 08:29 PM
Damn, he's 0 for 2

I think the pre/post gig will either be him or Chris Boden.

Brian26
03-29-2005, 10:17 PM
Just watching the replay of today's game on Comcast. Carmen is FANTASTIC in the booth.

kevingrt
03-29-2005, 10:29 PM
Just watching the replay of today's game on Comcast. Carmen is FANTASTIC in the booth.

Did the same thing as you and watched the replay and the more you listen to Carmen he is plain awesome! I loved him on Bulls pre and post and was so excited when he got the show with Silvy and the midday show. This guy knows his Chicago Sports and should be in the buisness for a long time. Hopefully he stays in Chicago with the Bulls and Sox though!

I got money on him for the pre and post show too

SoxWillWin
03-29-2005, 10:32 PM
Just for my 2 cents. Since I only have MLB radio to hear white sox games I can not comment on Carmen. But I did want to put out my opinion on DJ. Ever since replacing Wimpy DJ has never struck me as someone who is comfortable in that booth. Even after a few years he still seems too silent at times. Wimpy was just a riot IMO. I remember when he had his head shaved on the field (I know he did it because he made a bet but I forgot what the bet was). That was the kind of thing that made me think these guys loved thier jobs. I think DJ needs to :gulp: a few before each game. It may make the broadcasts more entertaining. Hell it worked for Harry Caray.

PAPChiSox729
03-29-2005, 10:40 PM
I think DJ needs to :gulp: a few before each game. It may make the broadcasts more entertaining. Hell it worked for Harry Caray.

That would be interesting to say the least. I'm cracking up just thinking about it.

Rocklive99
03-29-2005, 10:53 PM
He's a got a great broadcast type voice (a young energetic voice to mix with the old baseball knowledgeable guy that many teams are trying to find/emulate), and he obviously knows his stuff. He's got experience with trying to fill dead air with a radio show and dealing with post game callers, and just plain impressive for his first games broadcasted. DJ better watch out! They should have had him for Sox SAP. I think he'd probably be a lock for the Sox pre/post job though if he wants it and can comply with the hours

BridgePortNative
03-29-2005, 11:04 PM
Just a heads up,

Tomorrow Farmio will be up in the booth:smile:

Jjav829
03-31-2005, 06:47 PM
On MJH today Mac said that the announcment of the new Sox pre/post game show guy would come on April 4th, a half hour before the game :rolleyes:

Mac just said that the new pre/post-game show host is someone named Brian. I believe he called him the pride of Deerfield. I wasn't listening fully so I didn't catch all of the details. :?:

The Cheat
04-01-2005, 12:46 AM
http://www.chicagomediamonitor.com/blog/_archives/2005/3/31/503715.html

White Sox fans will surely miss Dave Wills (click here to read about Dave's new job (http://www.chicagomediamonitor.com/blog/_archives/2005/2/5/303330.html)), a helluva baseball guy and a White Sox homer if ever there was one (I love homers when they are for the same team as me), but they can look forward to hearing new pre-game/post-game host Bryan Dolgin, former voice of the Joliet Jackhammers. I have to confess, I'm not familiar with Dolgin's radio work, so any comments from those who have heard him would be appreciated. You can learn more about Dolgin by checking out his bio from the Joliet Jackhammers (http://www.jackhammerbaseball.com/office/office_bios.asp?id=6). Thanks to Gridiron Assassin for bringing this to my attention.

Over By There
04-01-2005, 09:33 AM
http://www.chicagomediamonitor.com/blog/_archives/2005/3/31/503715.html

Interesting... never heard of the guy. Probably deserves it's own thread.