PDA

View Full Version : McCarthy Breakdown?

SluggersAway
03-26-2005, 06:33 PM
Any thoughts on B-Mac's performance today? 3 2/3 innings, 9 H's, 7 R's, 7 ER's.

The silence is deafening. I was thinking the hype was to good to be true. Did it all go to his head? I still like what I see with B-Mac, but let's return to rationality and give him some time to develop before calling him the messiah.

soltrain21
03-26-2005, 06:36 PM
Anyone can have a bad day. I think he has been hearing a lot of the things said about him, and probably went out today trying to absolutly dazzle everyone.

It is a reality check...but I am still not worried, he will be great.

samram
03-26-2005, 06:46 PM
Anyone can have a bad day. I think he has been hearing a lot of the things said about him, and probably went out today trying to absolutly dazzle everyone.

It is a reality check...but I am still not worried, he will be great.

Yeah, everyone is going to have a bad start here and there. He also seems to have the mental toughness to recover from bad starts. No worries.

SOXintheBURGH
03-26-2005, 06:54 PM
I wouldn't feel too worried about it.. Roger Clemens and Curt Schilling get shelled on occasion. He's gonna turn out fine.

veeter
03-26-2005, 06:58 PM
To even suggest that this is a red flag is ridiculous. The kids' stuff and head are beyond his years.

Soxzilla
03-26-2005, 07:16 PM
Funny thing is... he still looked damned good out there.

:o:

itsnotrequired
03-26-2005, 09:29 PM
I wouldn't feel too worried about it.. Roger Clemens and Curt Schilling get shelled on occasion. He's gonna turn out fine.

Right on. Remember the All Star game in Houston? As far as McCarthy is concerned, I say one word; mulligan.

200 posts! :D:

DrCrawdad
03-26-2005, 09:34 PM
:whoflungpoo

The silence is deafening. I was thinking the hype was to good to be true. Did it all go to his head? I still like what I see with B-Mac, but let's return to rationality and give him some time to develop before calling him the messiah.

Who called B-Mac a messiah? The hype? No one knew B-Mac until a few weeks ago. If there has been hype, it's been excitement based on what he's accomplished. And for the most part B-Mac's accomplishments were not acknowledged.

A couple weeks ago the Scores Mike Murphy had a BA guy on two nights in a row. The player who was getting hyped was Cubbie prospect Juan Cruz, I mean Angel Guzman. At that point, Mike Murphy didn't know one thing about B-Mac.

California Sox
03-26-2005, 09:40 PM
McCarthy is like Buerhle or McDowell: When guys like this don't have it, they get beat around a little beat because they are always around the plate. If you follow McCarthy in the minors, his pattern was to have a lot of outstanding starts and then have a clunker thrown in there. It seems like most of the runs he gives up are surrendered in 4 or 5 bad starts. The rest of the time he is extremely solid. I don't think this is anything to be concerned about.

PAPChiSox729
03-26-2005, 09:41 PM
Everyone has a bad game, and McCarthy is no exception. The defense wasn't great, nor were the bats. It was just a bad game. I still think that McCarthy is going to be very good.

infohawk
03-26-2005, 09:45 PM
I'm not worried at all. Every pitcher gets rocked from time to time. What I noticed was that Brandon didn't have his outstanding control. From what I understand, that is very, very rare. Forget all of the hits he gave up, the two (I think) walks were a sign that he was a little off.

The only thing bothering me a little right now is that we can't seem to string solid pitching together in one game. It appears to be the case that at least one pitcher has a bad outing during a game, and it isn't usually the same guy. Today McCarthy struggled, but Hermanson, Cotts and Walker were solid. Yesterday, Marte pitched horribly. Before that it was Shingo who was roughed up. I don't count the minor league guys who don't have a chance at making the roster. The only exception is McCarthy, because I am confident we will see him get one or more spot starts.

I know its early so I'm definitely not worried. Guys are working on pitches and locations. I just can't wait to see the pitchers, especially the bullpen, begin passing the baton and keeping runs off the board.

SluggersAway
03-26-2005, 09:46 PM
No offense Craw, I was just trying to get the conversation going as from looking at this board today you wouldn't have even thought B-Mac was playing today.

DrCrawdad
03-26-2005, 09:49 PM
No offense Craw, I was just trying to get the conversation going as from looking at this board today you wouldn't have even thought B-Mac was playing today.

I hear you. I was watching that fantastic Illini game!

Take care,

balke
03-26-2005, 09:56 PM
He had some great movement on his pitches today. The homerun I saw hit off him was crushed, and hit perfectly. This was a great hitting team to face.

He did get beat up real bad. I have no good excuse as to why, I just know he was throwing strikes through it all. Hopefully next time things go much better for B-mac. He's exciting to watch.

zach074
03-26-2005, 10:44 PM
Its just one spring training game, he will be fine.

mealfred13
03-26-2005, 10:45 PM
McCarthy looked good out there for the most part. The homerun came on a 2 out situation with runners on first and second, and was just crushed by Hank Blalock. Blalock can hit, and he gets homeruns, so it's gonna happen. At least one of the runs tacked on later was on a flyball to center which should have been caught.

When they talked to Buehrle from the dugout during one of the middle innings, Buehrle even said that McCarthy fell victim to a couple bloop hits, etc. He also said he was gonna have a talk with him after he was done, to keep him confident and whatnot. It's good to have a guy like Mark on the team to help mentor some of the younger pitchers.

pssondacubs
03-26-2005, 10:57 PM
I was at the game today. He was throwing the fastball by most hitters. He seemed to be confident even after he gave up a hit. They got to his slower pitches, but I was sitting down 3rd base line and it seemed that a couple of balls hit down the line were just good swings taken on an inside curve or change. I give the Rangers credit. B-Mac still seemed to not get shaken on the mound. He's a skinny, tall kid with a very good command on the mound. I was impressed.

Nellie_Fox
03-27-2005, 01:40 AM
Please, please, I'm begging you. Stop calling him B-Mac. Please.

I'm so sick of this lame, hip hop 90's thing of "first initial, first syllable of last name" thing that I could just scream. It is over. Let it go.

FarWestChicago
03-27-2005, 01:41 AM

The silence is deafening. I was thinking the hype was to good to be true. Did it all go to his head? I still like what I see with B-Mac, but let's return to rationality and give him some time to develop before calling him the messiah.:tealpolice:

FarWestChicago
03-27-2005, 01:43 AM

I'm so sick of this lame, hip hop 90's thing of "first initial, first syllable of last name" thing that I could just scream. It is over. Let it go.Well, you have that lameness combined with the "seriously needs a reality check" nature of the post. A true double whammy. :rolleyes:

doublem23
03-27-2005, 01:46 AM

I'm so sick of this lame, hip hop 90's thing of "first initial, first syllable of last name" thing that I could just scream. It is over. Let it go.

Agreed. Let's call him Brandizzle. That's never going out of style. :D:

Mohoney
03-27-2005, 02:47 AM
Meanwhile, his ERA is STILL 2.5 runs better than Judy.

fquaye149
03-27-2005, 03:28 AM
Agreed. Let's call him Brandizzle. That's never going out of style. :D:

can we throw a televizzle in there somewhere?

WhiteSoxFan84
03-27-2005, 03:40 AM
He's not Superman. And I honestly don't think he's that special. He's a Jon Garland at best IMHO. If he proves me wrong, more power to him, I'd love it.

balke
03-27-2005, 08:51 AM
He's not Superman. And I honestly don't think he's that special. He's a Jon Garland at best IMHO. If he proves me wrong, more power to him, I'd love it.

Fair enough, he's getting a lot of hype, but he does have a wicked over the top curveball, and jams a lot of hitters with his fastball. I always think doubting someone is the easy way out. He's shown great stuff out there, a lot of analysts have stated that he has a lot of potential. I don't know if you saw the game, but he was throwing good balls, rocked or not.

DumpJerry
03-27-2005, 09:34 AM
Come on guys, take a deep breath. He was suffering from a cold. From today's Cubune: "I didn't do a good job of focusing," said McCarthy, who was battling a cold.

I like how he accepted responsibilty for the performance.

TommyJohn
03-27-2005, 09:36 AM

I take it then that you don't want to be called N-Fo?

I wouldn't mind T-Joh myself. Then there's L-Hoy, E-Wyn, G-Pet, H-Wil
and J-Hor, to name other Sox pitching greats.

SoxBoy14
03-27-2005, 09:46 AM
He's 21, has great mechanics, mentally tough and awesome command. That was the first glimpse I had of McCarthy and I came away with - and I'll catch grief for this - the impression that he's a combination of Prio and McDowell. His delivery is almost a carbon copy of Prior. He's a stud. Greg Maddux gave up a ton of runs yesterday - is he a bust too?

Tragg
03-27-2005, 10:14 AM
I love the way MB is such a great leader on this team. Maybe he always has been - but I'm just realizing it this year. He's doing a lot of the same stuff with other pitchers that Roger Clemens has done throughout his career.

DrCrawdad
03-27-2005, 10:18 AM
Greg Maddux gave up a ton of runs yesterday - is he a bust too?

From the keyboard of Paul Sullivan:

Greg Maddux...has given up 11 earned runs in 17 innings this spring.

Wood & Prior hobbled by injuries, Zambrano getting knocked around in his last start and Maddux getting hit hard this spring, is it any wonder WSI had a Cubbie troll invasion last night?

Tragg
03-27-2005, 10:39 AM
From the keyboard of Paul Sullivan:

Wood & Prior hobbled by injuries, Zambrano getting knocked around in his last start and Maddux getting hit hard this spring, is it any wonder WSI had a Cubbie troll invasion last night?

Now it's "oh, the bad luck; Joe Barowski is hurt"

Maybe if the Cubs had lost 2 of their top offensive players, like the Sox did, the national media wouldn't predict them to go to the WS "if healthy" and might predict them to fold worse than they did last year.

Oh wait, the Cubs DID lose their absolute top 2 offensive players; as well as a very good pitcher who actually could stay healthy and their best bullpen pitcher.

slavko
03-27-2005, 11:19 AM
If Buehrle is a mentor, and I think he is a good one, give some credit to his mentor, (gasp) David Wells.

SOXSINCE'70
03-27-2005, 11:38 AM
Everyone has bad starts in ST.The test will be how he responds
to a bad start.Some guys notch it up and come out smoking.
Others go into a tailspin.We'll see.But this is not a red flag
to me.