PDA

View Full Version : Hermanson suspended to start season?

The Wimperoo
03-26-2005, 04:21 PM
During the game when Hawk and Carmen were talking to Coop, Coop said that Hermanson will probably be suspended a game or two to start the season. Does anyone know what that is for. Coop never specified the reason.

OEO Magglio
03-26-2005, 04:29 PM
I can't remember who he plunked last year but he retalliated against someone last year and got suspended. He never served that suspension so it rolled over to this year. It was supposed to be 3 games, he appealed it, so I guess will see how long it is.

CubsfansareDRUNK
03-26-2005, 04:29 PM
didnt he bean a guy last year?

SluggersAway
03-26-2005, 04:30 PM
He hit Jeff Kent, then with the Astros, with a pitch on Sept. 23, 2004.

FightingBillini
03-26-2005, 04:31 PM
I read an article about it a few days ago. In the last week or two of last year, he hit the next batter after giving up a go ahead bomb to Birkman. That was after both teams were warned. If you ask me, that is utter BS. Tossing guys out for throwing inside is absolutely ridiculous, but suspending them is even worse.
Baseball should let the players hit eachother all they want. If you are willing to give up a base, go right ahead. You are gonna get someone on your team hit, too. Suspend guys if they fight, but dont suspend guys for throwing inside.

VivaOzzie
03-26-2005, 04:38 PM
I agree with throwing them out after being warned...thats how fights are started. But suspensions for beaning somebody are ridiculous, unless you go at their head or something.

Ol' No. 2
03-26-2005, 04:55 PM
But suspensions for beaning somebody are ridiculous, unless you go at their head or something.:?::?::?:

RichFitztightly
03-26-2005, 05:25 PM
There's no sense in punishing his new team for something that happened on his old team. I'd say to be fair, MLB should suspend him for a couple of Spring Training games. That way, he'll be punished without hurting the new team who had nothing to do with the incident.

I agree with everybody else that he shouldn't be suspended in the first place, but since he's going to be suspended, that's the most equitable way to go abouts it.

Jjav829
03-26-2005, 05:39 PM
There's no sense in punishing his new team for something that happened on his old team. I'd say to be fair, MLB should suspend him for a couple of Spring Training games. That way, he'll be punished without hurting the new team who had nothing to do with the incident.

I agree with everybody else that he shouldn't be suspended in the first place, but since he's going to be suspended, that's the most equitable way to go abouts it.

How is suspending him for Spring Training games fair? Those games means absolutely nothing. The point is to punish him, not his former or current team.

samram
03-26-2005, 06:10 PM
How is suspending him for Spring Training games fair? Those games means absolutely nothing. The point is to punish him, not his former or current team.

Yeah, otherwise what would stop any free-agent-to-be from doing something inciteful at the end of the season?

dcb33
03-26-2005, 06:30 PM

You're not punishing the new team by forcing the player to serve his suspension becuase the team that is acquiring the player knows the guy is going to have to serve his punishment. The Sox knew full well that Hermanson was going to have to sit 3 games before they signed him, so it escapes me how the Sox are getting punished unfairly because baseball is making Hermanson do his time.

PAPChiSox729
03-26-2005, 09:56 PM

ST games mean nothing. Why suspend them during ST? :?: Besides it is only three days. The Sox will be in big trouble if the bullpen is worn out because of Hermanson's absence after the first 3 games.

Daver
03-26-2005, 10:06 PM
A player can't be suspended during ST.

shoota
03-26-2005, 10:12 PM
Are you guys sure he will even have to serve all 3 games of his suspension? As much as I disagree with shortening suspensions through appeals, usually MLB cuts it down. So maybe Hermanson will only have a 1 or 2 game suspension.

I remember after Sosa's corked bat suspension was reduced after he appealed, Ed Farmer asked why does every appeal result in shortening a suspension. I agree. Especially for such a cut-and-dry, blatantly guilty use of cheating with a corked bat. What new "evidence" could Sosa (or his interpreter) bring up in his appeal? None.

I also have a problem with a player having the choice of when to serve his suspension.

RichFitztightly
03-26-2005, 10:52 PM
Whoa Doggies... Yikes.

First off, I realize there's no such thing as being suspended for Spring Training. I was half-joking, but I still think it's a good idea so I didn't use teal. Second off, if you can't see how not having a key reliver available is going to hurt a team, regardless of the length of time he's gone, then I have absolutely no idea what to tell you. Third, I realize the Spring Training games mean nothing, that's exactly why I suggested he get suspended for 3 Spring Training games. They mean nothing, so the team isn't hurt by absence, yet Dustin still loses 3 days pay so he still gets punished. Fourth, it's a stretch (to say the very least) that a player will use an impending free agency as a reason to start trouble. Fifth, yes, the Sox knew he was going to be suspended, it still doesn't make it fair.

Sixth, even though I'm half joking, I stand by my guns that suspending him during Spring Training accomplishes the task of punishing Hermanson, by having him forfeit 3 games pay, while not punishing his new team by having the suspension happen during Spring Training when the games don't mean anything.

mike squires
03-27-2005, 09:03 PM
You mean we actually have someone on the team that will hit someone!!! Good news.

CHISOXFAN13
03-30-2005, 12:22 PM
Per the Score, Hermanson's suspension has been reduced to one game.

mcfish
03-30-2005, 01:31 PM
Per the Score, Hermanson's suspension has been reduced to one game.I really wanted to see him pitch on opening day too. Think the Sox will let me return the ticket now?

DaleJRFan
03-30-2005, 01:32 PM
I really wanted to see him pitch on opening day too. Think the Sox will let me return the ticket now?

Mark Buehrle is going to throw a 2-hit shutout on opening day, so the bullpen won't be necessary.

Tekijawa
03-30-2005, 01:34 PM
A player can't be suspended during ST.

Then why aren't we beaning more people?

Iwritecode
03-30-2005, 01:41 PM
Then why aren't we beaning more people?

Because the Twins train in Florida...

:D:

SABRSox
03-30-2005, 04:43 PM
I really wanted to see him pitch on opening day too. Think the Sox will let me return the ticket now?

ESPN 1000 reports Hermanson will serve the suspension on Wednesday, April 6. You may still see him...

SoxWillWin
04-02-2005, 12:02 PM
Are you guys sure he will even have to serve all 3 games of his suspension? As much as I disagree with shortening suspensions through appeals, usually MLB cuts it down. So maybe Hermanson will only have a 1 or 2 game suspension.

I remember after Sosa's corked bat suspension was reduced after he appealed, Ed Farmer asked why does every appeal result in shortening a suspension. I agree. Especially for such a cut-and-dry, blatantly guilty use of cheating with a corked bat. What new "evidence" could Sosa (or his interpreter) bring up in his appeal? None.

I also have a problem with a player having the choice of when to serve his suspension.

You're not going to like this

Apr 1 The Arlington Heights Daily Herald reports Chicago White Sox RP Dustin Hermanson had a three-game suspension for hitting Los Angeles Dodgers 2B Jeff Kent last September reduced to one game. Hermanson, who must also pay a $1,000 fine, will sit Wednesday, April 6 against the Cleveland Indians. "Complete vindication would have been absolutely nothing happening to me," Hermanson said. "But if something's going to happen, that's the best thing that could have happened to me. It's just one day and the money fine I had."

The Racehorse
04-02-2005, 05:58 PM
You mean we actually have someone on the team that will hit someone!!! Good news.

I Agree! :cool:

Hell, I hope Hermy's attitude rubs off on his fellow compadres, like oh maybe JON GARLAND... and let's see, JOSE CONTRERAS... oh yeah, almost forgot, DAMASO MARTE... c'mon fellas, get tough!

DumpJerry
04-02-2005, 06:05 PM
Mark Buehrle is going to throw a 2-hit shutout on opening day, so the bullpen won't be necessary.
I completely disagree. I think you are out of touch with reality and are not a good judge of Mark's abilities.

Buehrle is pitching a perfect game on Opening Day with 20k's! It will be page five news behind the Illinois game and the Flubs loss to a team that lost over 100 games last year.......

PAPChiSox729
04-02-2005, 08:53 PM
Buehrle is pitching a perfect game on Opening Day with 20k's!

I love the optimism but I must say that deep pink should have been used. Sorry.

DumpJerry
04-02-2005, 10:16 PM
I love the optimism but I must say that deep pink should have been used. Sorry.
Come on, let me dream it is a reality!