View Full Version : An early weather report for opening day

jake27
03-26-2005, 09:08 AM
high 51, low 42 w/ scattered showers :(:

http://www.weather.com/activities/other/other/weather/tenday.html?locid=60616

but again that is 10 days in advance, i just hope there wont be any rain

Clembasbal
03-26-2005, 09:12 AM
The ten day computer system is a crap shoot for the most part. High pressures and low pressures jump out of nowhere sometimes with no more than 2 days notice.

It might be an acurate guess, but I am guessing that most of the tempreature comes from the average high/low for that day anyway.

havelj
03-26-2005, 09:13 AM
3 words: Bullpen Sports Bar.

:gulp:

jake27
03-26-2005, 09:16 AM
The ten day computer system is a crap shoot for the most part. High pressures and low pressures jump out of nowhere sometimes with no more than 2 days notice.

It might be an acurate guess, but I am guessing that most of the tempreature comes from the average high/low for that day anyway.

yes true, very true. just getting a lil excited for opening day. i hope they are wrong and its 65 with nothing but sun :cool:

Brian26
03-26-2005, 10:20 AM
yes true, very true. just getting a lil excited for opening day. i hope they are wrong and its 65 with nothing but sun :cool:

That would be awesome. We're looking at temps in the mid to high 60's for Tues and Wed of next week, so you never know.

whitesoxwilkes
03-26-2005, 10:32 AM
That would be awesome. We're looking at temps in the mid to high 60's for Tues and Wed of next week, so you never know.

Yeah...then it cools off just in time for the Brewers games.

Brian26
03-26-2005, 10:36 AM
Yeah...then it cools off just in time for the Brewers games.

Nice thing is the roof will probably be closed for those.

CubKilla
03-26-2005, 11:38 AM
Prepare yourself for the worst. The past two MLB Opening Days, where the Sox were on the road, the temps were pushing 60's-70's in the Chicago area and, when the Sox had their Opening Day a week later in Chicago, the temps were lucky to top out at 50 with sunshine.

CHISOXFAN13
03-26-2005, 04:11 PM
Nice thing is the roof will probably be closed for those.

Unfortunately, it will still make for a mighty cold tailate session :(:

Gosox1917
03-28-2005, 08:50 PM
National Weather Service calling for Partly Sunny skies with temps in the upper 50's for opening day. Hopefully the forecast holds, but it is still a week away. Just one week away. Just one week away. Just one week away. It sounds so good to hear after a long winter.

dickallen15
03-29-2005, 07:23 AM
Tommy Skillethead pegged the temps on opening day to be in the low 60's.

CubKilla
03-29-2005, 11:00 AM
Tommy Skillethead pegged the temps on opening day to be in the low 60's.

That means it'll be lower 40's with wet snow showers. These weathermen don't know anything.

DaveIsHere
03-29-2005, 11:22 AM
That means it'll be lower 40's with wet snow showers. These weathermen don't know anything.

I do have faith in Skillet head, he is the onlly thing worthwhile on WGN, IMO

Gosox1917
03-29-2005, 01:18 PM

Weatherman is my future job, but don't worry I take no offense. I'm already used to the criticism. Anyway, most of these guys on TV are just bozos that only have a degree in television broadcasting, however, Skilling is a bona fide meteorologist, so I would take his word. Also, National Weather Service (www.weather.gov (http://www.weather.gov)), which is much more accurate than weather.com, is still calling for Partly Sunny and highs near 60. I don't want to seem like I'm getting defensive, but I think, for now, we'll have a nice opening day for once.

BTW, anybody wanting to become a TV meteorologist, beware because it is a stressful job, I've interviewed a few and they say it's not as easy as it looks. Anyway, one good point of making it your major is that I get to go storm chasing tomorrow with the chase team here at Valpo.

Brian26
03-29-2005, 01:19 PM
I do have faith in Skillet head, he is the onlly thing worthwhile on WGN, IMO

Except for Jackie Bange. :D:

Ol' No. 2
03-29-2005, 01:20 PM
Weatherman is my future job, but don't worry I take no offense. I'm already used to the criticism. Anyway, most of these guys on TV are just bozos that only have a degree in television broadcasting, however, Skilling is a bona fide meteorologist, so I would take his word. Also, National Weather Service (www.weather.gov (http://www.weather.gov)), which is much more accurate than weather.com, is still calling for Partly Sunny and highs near 60. I don't want to seem like I'm getting defensive, but I think, for now, we'll have a nice opening day for once.

BTW, anybody wanting to become a TV meteorologist, beware because it is a stressful job, I've interviewed a few and they say it's not as easy as it looks. Anyway, one good point of making it your major is that I get to go storm chasing tomorrow with the chase team here at Valpo.After last year, anything in the 40's would be welcome. They ran out of hot chocolate and coffee by the 6th inning. People were drinking cups of hot water.:(:

Brian26
03-29-2005, 01:20 PM
Weatherman is my future job, but don't worry I take no offense. I'm already used to the criticism. Anyway, most of these guys on TV are just bozos that only have a degree in television broadcasting, however, Skilling is a bona fide meteorologist, so I would take his word.

Right. I have a hard time taking Brandt Miller seriously as a weather forecaster since I know he was working as a DJ at Z-95 with Barsky about 15 years ago.

daveeym
03-29-2005, 01:28 PM
Right. I have a hard time taking Brandt Miller seriously as a weather forecaster since I know he was working as a DJ at Z-95 with Barsky about 15 years ago. Oh **** no you dinnit go to Z-95. :cool: I think Miller's daughter went to school with me for many a year, hard to remember that far back.

Brian26
03-29-2005, 02:24 PM
Oh **** no you dinnit go to Z-95.

Yeah, sometimes I impress myself. :D:

DaleJRFan
03-29-2005, 02:33 PM
Except for Jackie Bange. :D:

She "rules". Too bad she's married.
Bange... = Bang. I need not say another word.

:cool:

BeerHandle
03-29-2005, 04:13 PM
New report from Accuwather.com

57 partly sunny. PLEASE BE NICE!

DaveIsHere
03-30-2005, 07:52 AM
I know see 64 and sunny, It would be so great to have a nice day

CubKilla
03-30-2005, 11:36 AM
After last year, anything in the 40's would be welcome. They ran out of hot chocolate and coffee by the 6th inning. People were drinking cups of hot water.:(:

Drink beer. Once is starts flowing, outside cold doesn't bother you anymore :tongue: . Hot drinks don't work. They keep you warm while you're drinking them, but they leave you cold when you run out.

And last year wasn't bad at all. It was in the low 50's.

BeerHandle
03-30-2005, 01:40 PM
Drink beer. Once is starts flowing, outside cold doesn't bother you anymore :tongue: . Hot drinks don't work. They keep you warm while you're drinking them, but they leave you cold when you run out.

And last year wasn't bad at all. It was in the low 50's.

It was freezing last year. The wind chill had to be in the low 30's or 20's.

NEW UPDATE

Tom Skilling's new forcast for Monday.
Mondayhttp://snsimages.tribune.com/images/sp.gifhttp://snsimages.tribune.com/images/weather/icons/chancetstorms.gif
70 49 Partly sunny, milder again. New round of 70s gets underway. A shower or t-storm/two canít be ruled out.

cheeses_h_rice
03-30-2005, 01:56 PM
I don't think I've been to a pleasant opening day at Comiskey, so I'm holding out for 70, even if it's overcast.

The past few years have been brutal. Was it 2003 when it started out in the upper 50s and then plunged to the low 40s by the third inning or so? How about 2001 or so, when Osuna gave up a game-winning grannie to Tony Clark and the wind chill was in the 20s/30s?

:(:

dickallen15
03-30-2005, 02:12 PM
2000, they opened at night, and it was 80 degrees.

cheeses_h_rice
03-30-2005, 02:17 PM
2000, they opened at night, and it was 80 degrees.

I went the following day, which IIRC was also nice.

jackbrohamer
03-30-2005, 02:23 PM
Was it 2003 when it started out in the upper 50s and then plunged to the low 40s by the third inning or so? How about 2001 or so, when Osuna gave up a game-winning grannie to Tony Clark and the wind chill was in the 20s/30s?

IIRC in 2003 it plunged to the 40s before the game started, then there was a couple hour rain delay. Lotta people left before the game started; it turned out to be a great game by Loaiza and the Sox won. Fortunately, the cold weather drove me home early in 2001 so I didn't see Osuna blow the game.

Hangar18
03-30-2005, 02:24 PM
***UPDATE*** FOX Weather saying 64 Degrees, and SUNNY!
Awesome! Its going to be a great day .......

Tekijawa
03-30-2005, 02:31 PM
IIRC in 2003 it plunged to the 40s before the game started, then there was a couple hour rain delay. Lotta people left before the game started; it turned out to be a great game by Loaiza and the Sox won.

Yup... I got really drunk at that game, then I danced the night away in an empty Cubby Bear to celbrate the victory! one of the best opening day nights ever!

tromcoe
03-30-2005, 02:31 PM
IIRC in 2003 it plunged to the 40s before the game started, then there was a couple hour rain delay. Lotta people left before the game started; it turned out to be a great game by Loaiza and the Sox won. Fortunately, the cold weather drove me home early in 2001 so I didn't see Osuna blow the game.

We left the ball park got to Archer and Damen to go on 55 The sun came out and Willsy announced they were taking the tarp off of the field we turned around went back to the park, the security guards let us right back in and it was a great time.

BeerHandle
03-30-2005, 04:07 PM
I don't think I've been to a pleasant opening day at Comiskey, so I'm holding out for 70, even if it's overcast.

The past few years have been brutal. Was it 2003 when it started out in the upper 50s and then plunged to the low 40s by the third inning or so? How about 2001 or so, when Osuna gave up a game-winning grannie to Tony Clark and the wind chill was in the 20s/30s?

I think you are right wth both of the years. It was awful in 2003 and 2001. Wasn't 2001 a rain soaked (2 hour delays as well).

Brian26
03-31-2005, 11:16 AM
As of this morning, Weather.com is reporting 62 degrees for a high, partly cloudy, and a 10% chance of precipitation for Monday. Looks pretty good....

cheeses_h_rice
03-31-2005, 11:18 AM
As of this morning, Weather.com is reporting 62 degrees for a high, partly cloudy, and a 10% chance of precipitation for Monday. Looks pretty good....

Tom Skilling has 71.

(And memo to Hangar: Skilling aka wgntv.com actually advertises Monday as being "White Sox home opener!" Yes, with an exclamation point. How are you going to spin that?)

Jerko
03-31-2005, 11:18 AM
I remember one year (2000?) where it was actually nicer on opening day than it was on the 4th of July. The last weather report I saw was WGN saying 67 for Monday. We can only hope.................

LVSoxFan
03-31-2005, 12:44 PM
Right. I have a hard time taking Brandt Miller seriously as a weather forecaster since I know he was working as a DJ at Z-95 with Barsky about 15 years ago.

Dude, Miller was a DJ on WLS in the 70s when I was a kid.

Likeable guy, though, even if he doesn't know what he's doing...:bandance:

cheeses_h_rice
03-31-2005, 12:49 PM
Dude, Miller was a DJ on WLS in the 70s when I was a kid.

Likeable guy, though, even if he doesn't know what he's doing...:bandance:

Was it him or John "Records" Landecker that used to do "boogie check"?

I still have all my WLS and WCFL weekly surveys from 1973-79 or so. Brant's pretty picture was often featured.