PDA

View Full Version : Phil Rogers please report to the Pincipal's Office

wdelaney72
03-25-2005, 08:37 AM
Two articles in one week praising the Sox. Phil better start being a little more carefiul.

This time it was a Mark Buehrle lovefest.

Linky (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-050324rogers,1,1482278.column?coll=cs-columnists)

I love it. Mark Buehrle sitting around the clubhouse flipping burgers!

hose
03-25-2005, 08:57 AM
The Trib should have one more feature baseball writer, Sox and Cub fans want more coverage.

jackbrohamer
03-25-2005, 09:52 AM
This bit was interesting:

Buehrle, an All-Star only in 2002, has a .596 winning percentage over the last four years (65-44). The White Sox have been a sub-.500 team with anyone other than Buehrle as the pitcher of record.

PAPChiSox729
03-25-2005, 10:45 AM
This bit was interesting:

Buehrle, an All-Star only in 2002, has a .596 winning percentage over the last four years (65-44). The White Sox have been a sub-.500 team with anyone other than Buehrle as the pitcher of record.

Wow. That is interesting. Buehrle is a real ace (more then Wood or Prior). I want a pitcher that wins, not one that can only get K's.

SOXSINCE'70
03-25-2005, 11:58 AM
Please keep in mind this is a man who wants Mark McGwire's
70 HR's in '98 (And Bury Bum's 73 in '01) struck from the
baseball records so "Sham-me" would be the undisputed
HR king.:angry: :angry:

mdep524
03-25-2005, 12:12 PM
What a great article! Kudos, Phil. :gulp:

I love how Buehrle is so perfectly the anti-Wood/Prior. A happy go lucky, down to Earth guy, with little to no media attention but is consistently solid and healthy, doesn't make excuses and clearly loves the game. Compare that to the pretentious, uber-serious, excuse-making Cubbie hurlers, over-hyped by the media, overly coddled by their coaches, who have "dynamite" stuff but are always derailed by injuries. It represents the difference between the Sox and Cubs so well.

Grit vs. glamor. I'm so proud of which side we're on. :smile:

WhiteSoxFan84
03-25-2005, 12:16 PM
Wow. That is interesting. Buehrle is a real ace (more then Wood or Prior). I want a pitcher that wins, not one that can only get K's.

Why did you have to mention that? Most of us know that already. Just don't ruin a great compliment by adding those two names in the same frame. Besides, outsiders would look at this and be like, "Do these guys ever stop comparing their team to the Cubs?"

Nothing bad, just don't want others looking at you and getting that impression. I do it too a little but after I noticed what I just told you, I stopped.

wdelaney72
03-25-2005, 12:23 PM

I love how Buehrle is so perfectly the anti-Wood/Prior. A happy go lucky, down to Earth guy, with little to no media attention but is consistently solid and healthy, doesn't make excuses and clearly loves the game. Compare that to the pretentious, uber-serious, excuse-making Cubbie hurlers, over-hyped by the media, overly coddled by their coaches, who have "dynamite" stuff but are always derailed by injuries. It represents the difference between the Sox and Cubs so well.

I have no problem with Kerry Wood. It's not his fault he's playing for the media darlings. He seems likable enough. Prior, on the other hand, go ahead and keep ripping. Maybe he'll schedule another "Just Ducky" appearance in the middle of the season that he can blow off.

Lip Man 1
03-25-2005, 12:40 PM
Sox since 70:

I don't think Rogers was saying that at all. He was speculating that it could happen if baseball could get definitive evidence against McGwire and Bonds. PLUS Sosa would be subject to the same scrutiny, therefore if found that he did something Sosa would be stripped as well.

Considering Rogers' comments on Nightline and the fact that in two different columns he brought up Sosa's semantics concerning his 'denial' of taking illegal drugs, my personal opinion is that Rogers is very suspicious of Sosa. I don't think he buys the fact that he's 'clean' at all.

Plus he went out and spoke to different Cub people who worked with Sosa and printed the fact that many thought he wasn't clean including the Cubs manager's comments.

If Rogers was trying to promote Sosa as home run king why would he print comments that seem to cointradict that premise?

Doesn't make any sense.

Lip

daveeym
03-25-2005, 12:49 PM
Sox since 70:

I don't think Rogers was saying that at all. He was speculating that it could happen if baseball could get definitive evidence against McGwire and Bonds. PLUS Sosa would be subject to the same scrutiny, therefore if found that he did something Sosa would be stripped as well.

Considering Rogers' comments on Nightline and the fact that in two different columns he brought up Sosa's semantics concerning his 'denial' of taking illegal drugs, my personal opinion is that Rogers is very suspicious of Sosa. I don't think he buys the fact that he's 'clean' at all.

Plus he went out and spoke to different Cub people who worked with Sosa and printed the fact that many thought he wasn't clean including the Cubs manager's comments.

If Rogers was trying to promote Sosa as home run king why would he print comments that seem to cointradict that premise?

Doesn't make any sense.

Lip I actually agree with lip for once. Kinda of a fluff and worthless piece since sosa's not in chicago anymore. I'd rather he tied in frank's stolen MVP, but I didn't feel this bozo was making a case for Sosa, rather trying to knock sosa without having the balls to flat out call him a cheat.

Lip Man 1
03-25-2005, 12:52 PM
Daveem:

In the wake of Todd Helton contemplating suing former Sox radio announcer Wayne Hagin over his comments, I can easily see why Rogers wouldn't have the 'gonads' to call Sosa out, unless he has actual evidance, which no one else as of yet seems to have, or it would have been released long time ago.

Lip

DumpJerry
03-25-2005, 01:56 PM

That's what is so great about him. Mark always has this grin on his face like he just tapped the keg at the frat house on a Saturday afternoon and now we'll all sit down for a few cold ones and watch "Caddyshack." When he is pitching he still has that "I'm having fun blowing away everyone" twinkle in his eye. He never seems to get stressed out over what happens on the field. Best of all, did you every hear him go after any of the relievers who blew victories for him last year? I can't recall.

Some "star" pitchers take themselves too seriously. The stress causes their bodies to break down early. No names need to be mentioned here.:cool: