PDA

View Full Version : AP Poll: Mark out, Barry in

Dadawg_77
03-24-2005, 09:53 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2020890

AP poll of 155 Hall of Fame voters gave McGwire 55.6% and Bonds 80.5%

voodoochile
03-24-2005, 10:04 PM
I don't want McGwire in the HOF if he cheated (and he did), but this is just further proof that sports writer mediots are petty, vindictive jackasses. Anyone with half a brain in their head had to know something was going on, but they ignored it for a LONG time. They told the story they wanted to tell because it sold newspapers and because it gave them access to the players, owners and managers in MLB. Now they want to claim they were duped and as a result, they are taking it out on the players they helped turn into household names and heroes to today's up and coming set of athletes.

So now they strike a blow for integrity of the game. I wonder how long that lasts. It's a real freaking shame that Barry didn't get called to Washington. What do you bet that if this were 1999, McLiar wouldn't have been there either.

The only people truly innocent in this grand pile of poop are the fans and truly we are more like the innocent rubes who got taken by some carny huckster. Well, most of us are and the talking heads and writing fingers are the ones who made that so...

jshanahanjr
03-24-2005, 10:16 PM
Mark will get in first ballot. People are just blowing off some steam now. Remember when President Bush has no chance of being elected then re-elected? If you don't like what you hear from the Moronotti's of the world now, just wait 5 minutes when they change their tune.

SluggersAway
03-24-2005, 10:18 PM
I agree with Voodoo, take a look at these quotes from selected sports writers. (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2020917) It is just pathetic, they seriously have no clue. It seems they are all just hanging on to the idea that since it wasn't against the rules of baseball to use steroids they are going to go along and vote for Bonds and McGwire anyway. Someone has to call these guys out because they are not doing a service to anyone.

Infallible
03-24-2005, 10:26 PM
This is a joke. All will change in two years time and they'll make Mcguire out to be the victim of a congress induced witch hunt for a problem that didn't exist except in the minds of Jose Canseco and Ken Caminitti. Mark my words he'll get in with flying colors only to further the demise of integrity in the game we love.

TornLabrum
03-24-2005, 11:14 PM
I liked the guy who said it wasn't illegal under the rules of baseball. No, it wasn't. It was only in violation of Federal law.

balke
03-26-2005, 02:09 PM
Dan Patrick was doing this poll yesterday. I'm someone who doesn't really value Hr's too much, so forgive me... but Mcgwire isn't a hall-of-famer in many respects. PED's lock that decision for me, but even putting him next to Barry Bonds is just... ridiculous.

0 MVP's. 0 Golden Gloves. A lifetime .263 BA. With only 2 + .300 seasons. He had 3 + 50 hr seasons, one of which coming in a season Brady Anderson hit 50. I can appreciate 49 as a rookie 70 and 65 as a roid monster, but how anyone can think this guy should get in over bonds.... that's an outrage.

Bonds has at least 4 non-steroid related MVP's. He's a 500-500 player, and has I believe 8 gold gloves. This is the most ridiculous comparison ever, both on the juice, bonds hit 3 hr's more than Big Mac ever did in a season.

At least for a short time yesterday Dan Patricks poll was 60-40 bonds if you had one vote. People are stupid. One vote should be Bonds 100 percent of the time, everytime. Unless you elect not to vote for either, which I can understand much more easily than giving the vote to one juicer over the other.

SABRSox
03-26-2005, 03:42 PM
Let's be honest here, the HOF is full of cheaters, racists, and people much worse than Bonds and McGwire. They'll get in. And I have no problem with it. Gaylord Perry got in, and he did every imaginable thing to a baseball. I'll only have a problem with it if Bonds gets in and McGwire doesn't. That's a double standard. They either both get in, or none get in.

misty60481
03-26-2005, 05:30 PM
Gaylord did nothing different than a lot of the early pitchers --Ed Walsh, Amos Russie, etc. -- they all relied on spitball and they had no trouble getting into HOF--also Joe Jackson was never found guilty in a court of law,, only Comissioner Landis found him guilty.. I think HOF should be open to all who played,, it is a shame that someone who had a .350 lifetime BA,, or had over 4,000 hits cant be in....

Dan H
03-27-2005, 07:41 AM
The HOF is full of scoundrels, but there has to come a time when a message gets sent out. Out and out cheaters and players who do things to seriously threaten the game are to be left out no matter what their stats. The game is bigger than anyone, and anyone who thinks different should find out different.

TornLabrum
03-27-2005, 09:24 AM
"The Hall of Fame is full of scoundrals, cheaters, and racists, so let's let in more."

In other words, let's repeat the same mistakes over and over again.

"Congress is full of liars and people on the take, so let's elect more."

Oh, wait. We do that.

flo-B-flo
03-27-2005, 10:31 AM
I really do not care about the hall of shame. To even consider Rose, Mcliar and Barry Bore shows that the hall lost ALL integrity long time ago. I mean when the Pittsburgh second baseman made it on the basis of a homerun in the world series I just took this as its demise.:(:

TornLabrum
03-27-2005, 10:45 AM
I really do not care about the hall of shame. To even consider Rose, Mcliar and Barry Bore shows that the hall lost ALL integrity long time ago. I mean when the Pittsburgh second baseman made it on the basis of a homerun in the world series I just took this as its demise.:(:

You could use the same statement you made about Mazeroski and turn it against Nellie Fox. Fox got in because of a campaign started by his fans.

I saw Fox play. He got in because of his ability to move along runners and because of his defense. He was the best second baseman to play the game in the '50s.

I saw Maz play. He was by far the best second baseman of the '60s. He didn't get in because of his home run. He got in because of his defensive ability.

cubbasher
03-27-2005, 10:54 AM
I feel if you cheat once, dont count your records. Cheat twice, kick you out. That means you Sammy. (cork and steriods).
Btw, this is my first post, so hello everyone.

SoxSpeed22
03-27-2005, 12:13 PM
I feel if you cheat once, dont count your records. Cheat twice, kick you out. That means you Sammy. (cork and steriods).
Btw, this is my first post, so hello everyone.:welcome: Your point makes sense, but then who would be on the records because they can't prove anything from the "Steroids Era" Shammy getting caught with a corked bat is one thing but the steroids was not proven yet. So Sammy gets off free with nothing and fans love him again.

The_Cheesiest_Idiot
03-27-2005, 01:01 PM
Mark will get in first ballot. People are just blowing off some steam now. Remember when President Bush has no chance of being elected then re-elected?

not really

cubbasher
03-27-2005, 06:54 PM
Whether they prove steroid use or not, there will always be a dark cloud over the period of time where home runs escalated out of control. Or at least i'm hoping theres a dark cloud. A nice big "asterisk" shaped cloud would be nice.

D. TODD
03-28-2005, 07:09 PM
Bonds is a clear cut first ballot hall of famer! McGwire is not. I beleive McGwire will get in but not on the first ballot.