PDA

View Full Version : Bernie Mac rips on Sox

Shorty1983
03-24-2005, 05:09 PM
Bernie Mac guest appeared on The best damn sports show period. 3-23-05

I found it disturbing to watch Mac rip on the sox, after making a horrible baseball movie "Mr. 3000". He mentioned that the sox made a dumb move by trading Carlos Lee and we got in return "a bag of balls". I found it funny mostly because Bernie Mac is a fake, he knows absolutely nothing about the game. It takes him 5 seconds to articulate a sentence to every question he was asked. He was still referring to the Cell as Comisky (granted, alot of sox fans refuse to call it U.S Cellular). He couldn't even name the players that were on the team, he also mentioned that trading sammy away was a bad move on the Cubs. One statement that bothered me was when he said that Comisky was packed with goons outside of the ballpark and Wrigley is fun packed with bars and hot girls. Obviously this guy is a phony and isn't a sox fan, not to mention a bad comedian.

Ol' No. 2
03-24-2005, 05:12 PM

I found it disturbing to watch Mac rip on the sox, after making a horrible baseball movie "Mr. 3000". He mentioned that the sox made a dumb move by trading Carlos Lee and we got in return "a bag of balls". I found it funny mostly because Bernie Mac is a fake, he knows absolutely nothing about the game. It takes him 5 seconds to articulate a sentence to every question he was asked. He was still referring to the Cell as Comisky (granted, alot of sox fans refuse to call it U.S Cellular). He couldn't even name the players that were on the team, he also mentioned that trading sammy away was a bad move on the Cubs. One statement that bothered me was when he said that Comisky was packed with goons outside of the ballpark and Wrigley is fun packed with bars and hot girls. Obviously this guy is a phony and isn't a sox fan, not to mention a bad comedian.I wonder if there are any openings on Baseball Tonight. He'd fit right in.

Kogs35
03-24-2005, 05:28 PM
I wonder if there are any openings on Baseball Tonight. He'd fit right in.

:rolling:

Hangar18
03-24-2005, 05:42 PM
I dont think he was ripping on the SOX.
I think him saying The Urinal was "packed with girls and bars" was
a blanket statement, as was Comiskey having "goons".

Uncle_Patrick
03-24-2005, 05:58 PM

I found it disturbing to watch Mac rip on the sox, after making a horrible baseball movie "Mr. 3000". He mentioned that the sox made a dumb move by trading Carlos Lee and we got in return "a bag of balls". I found it funny mostly because Bernie Mac is a fake, he knows absolutely nothing about the game. It takes him 5 seconds to articulate a sentence to every question he was asked. He was still referring to the Cell as Comisky (granted, alot of sox fans refuse to call it U.S Cellular). He couldn't even name the players that were on the team, he also mentioned that trading sammy away was a bad move on the Cubs. One statement that bothered me was when he said that Comisky was packed with goons outside of the ballpark and Wrigley is fun packed with bars and hot girls. Obviously this guy is a phony and isn't a sox fan, not to mention a bad comedian.

I think he's a pretty funny guy, but its obvious that success has ruined his baseball sense.

billnahorodny
03-24-2005, 06:00 PM
I saw it as well. I think he was trying to portray the south side (and himself) as being tough. But it turned into a lot of references to fans running onto the field and crime around the park ("when you get into your car after leaving the game...there's already someone in it"...that kind of stuff). When the other morons on the panel joined in...well you know how it ends. I wouldn't necessarily call it "ripping into the Sox", but it defeinitely was rehashing the same old tired stereotypes we're so accustomed to from the national media.

Dan H
03-24-2005, 06:02 PM
I have a hard time taking this seriously. From the tone of this, he is just trying to get attention. I don't care what he has to say. Let's just let the season speak for itself. As far as goons, maybe it takes one to know one.

soxfan43
03-24-2005, 06:49 PM
bernie mac is a joke. I remember years ago when he was taking small parts like Friday, he would talk about growing up a sox fan but when he blew up, all of a sudden he wasa huge cubs fan in 2003

Banix12
03-24-2005, 07:45 PM
bernie mac is a joke. I remember years ago when he was taking small parts like Friday, he would talk about growing up a sox fan but when he blew up, all of a sudden he wasa huge cubs fan in 2003

I always wondered why everybody was so for the Bartman Curse, but nobody really put forth a Bernie Mac Curse, or lest we forget his 7th inning stretch that night. "Root, root, root for the Champs.." He was either secretly talking about the Marlins or just getting ahead of himself.

Nellie_Fox
03-25-2005, 12:18 AM
I always wondered why everybody was so for the Bartman Curse, but nobody really put forth a Bernie Mac Curse..BECAUSE SOX FANS DON'T BELIEVE IN CURSES AND DON'T WANT NATIONAL SYMPATHY.:angry:

Banix12
03-25-2005, 01:18 AM
BECAUSE SOX FANS DON'T BELIEVE IN CURSES AND DON'T WANT NATIONAL SYMPATHY.:angry:

Yo Dude, Chill out. I never said I believed in the bartman curse or the goat curse etc. I also never referred to the sox being cursed, which I also don't believe. I'm referring to the attention that given to "curses" on the northside and in the media.

Obviously though the concept of "curses" is big business on the northside. So if the media and cubs fans, who do believe in curses or at least profit from them, were so adept to pick someone to be cursed, why not pick Bernie Mac for being partially responsible for putting at least a jinx on the cubs that night?

He said root for the champs and it didn't happen, couldn't that be construed as something like the jinx that seems to happen occasionally when a TV announcer says a player hasn't struck out in 30 AB's and then all of a sudden strikes out that at-bat? Bartman was obviously the easy choice for the play, but you'd think someone would have brought that up.

Just because somebody mentions the word curse, doesn't mean you have to get into a hissy-fit over it. I'm sorry if I wasn't clear in my original statement.

Nellie_Fox
03-25-2005, 01:22 AM
You asked why "nobody put forth a Bernie Mac curse." I answered you.

Banix12
03-25-2005, 01:38 AM
You asked why "nobody put forth a Bernie Mac curse." I answered you.

Nah, you answered why sox fans didn't put forth a Bernie Mac Curse. And yeah, that is why sox fans didn't suggest it. That and we were too busy laughing at the time.

Why the media and cubs fans didn't blame him is still up in the air. The only answer I can come up with is the desperate need of both to suck up to celebrities.

Nellie_Fox
03-25-2005, 01:41 AM
Okay, then why would you ask if you didn't want someone to "put forth" the idea of a curse? I interpreted your post as somehow feeling left out because no one was doing it.

Banix12
03-25-2005, 01:51 AM
Okay, then why would you ask if you didn't want someone to "put forth" the idea of a curse? I interpreted your post as somehow feeling left out because no one was doing it.

I was just thinking out loud. I heard it mentioned a few days after the game by a few people, but the Bartman thing just took off instead. Now few people seem to remember the Bernie Mac thing. I was basically wondering why one story angle takes off and another doesn't. Once again, sorry if I was vauge in the original post.

BECAUSE SOX FANS DON'T BELIEVE IN CURSES AND DON'T WANT NATIONAL SYMPATHY.

A little confusion I have here with this statement now that I think of it. Why would sox fans be worried about gaining National Sympathy from Bernie Mac potentially "cursing" the cubs? I could understand if I had talked about some curse applying to the sox, but I didn't.

cubhater
03-25-2005, 04:56 AM
Bernie Mac=yawn

Mr. 3000=double yawn

I've never watched the Bernie Mac show nor do I intend to ever watch it.

Why bother getting upset about anything this bum says about baseball? He knows nothing. Just don't save him a seat on the Sox bandwagon this October!:cool:

Palehose Pete
03-25-2005, 10:42 AM
Ummm... let me get this straight... you guys actually WATCHED "The Best Damn Sports Show Period?" I'd say more, but that show is a bad punchline in and of itself.

TDog
03-25-2005, 11:09 AM
I don't know what Bernie Mac looks like, and I see no reason for that to change.

Nellie_Fox
03-25-2005, 11:16 AM
A little confusion I have here with this statement now that I think of it. Why would sox fans be worried about gaining National Sympathy from Bernie Mac potentially "cursing" the cubs? I could understand if I had talked about some curse applying to the sox, but I didn't.Yeah, I owe you an apology. After I logged off, it suddenly hit me that you weren't talking about Sox fans using it as a Sox curse, but rather Cubs fans jumping on it as yet another Cubs curse.

Reading is a skill. I guess I need to work on it. :redneck

mjharrison72
03-25-2005, 11:33 AM
Yeah, I owe you an apology. After I logged off, it suddenly hit me that you weren't talking about Sox fans using it as a Sox curse, but rather Cubs fans jumping on it as yet another Cubs curse.

Reading is a skill. I guess I need to work on it. :redneck
I knew cooler heads would prevail. :duel::rolleyes:
Back on topic, Bernie Mac sounds like he knows about as much about baseball as I know about synchronized swimming. Except for the fact he's airing his ill-informed views on national TV, I don't really care what he says... the North Side can have him.

Erik The Red
03-25-2005, 12:43 PM
I wonder if there are any openings on Baseball Tonight. He'd fit right in.
Does that really need to be in teal? :smile:

Ol' No. 2
03-25-2005, 01:01 PM
Does that really need to be in teal? :smile:I actually thought about it a while, then flipped a coin.:cool:

shoota
03-26-2005, 12:20 AM

http://ia.imdb.com/media/imdb/01/I/76/67/12m.jpg
He's just getting some face time to promote his new movie Guess Who. I'm surprised they didn't ask Iowa boy Cub fan Ashton Kutcher to come on to further rip the Sox.

PatK
03-28-2005, 12:32 PM
You know what? Who cares about what celebrities think?

North Siders, that's who.

sti3
03-30-2005, 06:50 PM
I like Bernie Mac and those quotes don't convince me to do otherwise. A lot of people think the Lee trade was a bad one (myself not included). It's called an opinion! Yeesh!

StillMissOzzie
03-30-2005, 07:38 PM
Bernie Mac=yawn

Mr. 3000=double yawn

I've never watched the Bernie Mac show nor do I intend to ever watch it.

Why bother getting upset about anything this bum says about baseball? He knows nothing. Just don't save him a seat on the Sox bandwagon this October!:cool:

Really. Who gives a **** what Bernie Mac thinks? And in a related topic, sCrUB fans everywhere think that the goat curse has been exported to Washington, DC, where Billy Goat's is opening a new joint.

SMO
:gulp:

ChiWhiteSox1337
03-30-2005, 07:56 PM
Really. Who gives a **** what Bernie Mac thinks? And in a related topic, sCrUB fans everywhere think that the goat curse has been exported to Washington, DC, where Billy Goat's is opening a new joint.

SMO
:gulp:
Is there any chance that the Billy Goat can take the idiots with them?
:D:

balke
03-30-2005, 10:30 PM
As devil's advocate....

Losing Carlos is kinda a bigger deal then we tend to make it out to be. I'm glad we got Podsednik, I'll be much happier if he's the leagues new Henderson... but Lee is a young stud, who's gotten better with age.

For all the complaining we do about losing prospects, and having no good prospects, we just lost 2 that came through our system that were darn good. Maggs wasn't worth 14-15 mil to me after how he treated this town, but Carlos might be worth 10. It just sucks there wasn't a way to have two left fielders. I'm definitely rooting for CLee, and preparing myself for how much we miss this guy over the length of his career.

P.S. Bernie Mac does kinda suck.

batmanZoSo
03-31-2005, 12:07 AM
This guy lives a few blocks from me. I'll egg his house.

doublem23
03-31-2005, 04:19 AM
Bernie Mac is a self-proclaimed Cub fan.