PDA

View Full Version : Bad blood between Lee & Marte?

mike squires
03-23-2005, 04:36 PM
and Marte or Whitesox??? Damaso drilled Lee in the side and Lee came out toward the mound. THe unpire and the catcher seperated the two. WHat the heck???

CHIsoxNation
03-23-2005, 04:38 PM
I don't know about all of this. You would have to assume it was intentional but Marte? Well, I am pretty sure we play the Brew Crew later this week, then we have the two games next week before the season starts. This will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Unregistered
03-23-2005, 04:39 PM
and Marte or Whitesox??? Damaso drilled Lee in the side and Lee came out toward the mound. THe unpire and the catcher seperated the two. WHat the heck??? Nah, the umpire and Chris Widger tried to stop Carlos from charging the mound. Marte just kinda stood there with a puzzled look on his face. It's a Spring Training blowout game and Carlos thinks that his ex-teammates are trying to drill him on purpose? :rolleyes:

What a douche.

guillen4life13
03-23-2005, 04:50 PM
What happened there? Why did Carlos take such offense to the beanball? Is there some bad blood between the two of these guys or something that I didn't know about?

The HBP was obviously unintentional, and when Carlos started walking towards the mound mouthing off at Damaso, Marte held up his arms as if to say "What are you doing? Why are you so angry?"

JGarlandrules20
03-23-2005, 04:57 PM
It's a Spring Training blowout game and Carlos thinks that his ex-teammates are trying to drill him on purpose? :rolleyes:
I think it's more than that. He looked really upset when they showed those dugout shots of him.

soltrain21
03-23-2005, 05:00 PM
That is really weird. I highly doubt Marte or the White Sox would do this intentionally. Maybe C-Lee is upset because of some of the parting "shots" given by a few guys in the organization?

Unregistered
03-23-2005, 05:07 PM
I think it's more than that. He looked really upset when they showed those dugout shots of him.Yeah, and Marte and the rest of the players on the field looked a little confused as to why he was so upset...

TaylorStSox
03-23-2005, 05:19 PM
We don't know what went on behind the scenes. Maybe they never liked one another. It looked intentional to me. What do I know though?
:?:

SOXSINCE'70
03-23-2005, 05:51 PM
For any pitcher to be effective,he must pitch inside.

I say this one was unintentional.Why bean Lee when you have a 10
run lead?? Loved how he glared at Marte and had to be restrained by
Widger and the home plate ump.That "charging the mound"
looked pretty fake to me. It was one of those "hold me back,
hold me back" moments where the teams come on the field
yet no punches are thrown and no one is hurt.:dunno: :dunno:

hosieryofthegods
03-23-2005, 05:59 PM
Yeah, it kinda had that kinda feeling. Didn't seem like he really wanted to do it.

OG4LIFE
03-23-2005, 06:02 PM
where was this attitude and fire when he was with the sox? :dunno: seemed like ozzie talked about wanting to see it, but we never got it out of carlos...

i guess the pressure of ST games got to him!

PAPChiSox729
03-23-2005, 06:07 PM
Aren't they trying to get Marte to pitch inside this year? I don't think there was anything personal. Carlos just overreacted. Hopefully, Carlos and the White Sox didn't leave on bad terms. Oh well.

faneidde
03-23-2005, 06:09 PM
I don't know if this was intentional or not, but I can see why Lee took offense. The Sox, and Guillen in particular, haven't exactly been complimentary of Carlos this offseason.

DickAllen72
03-23-2005, 06:51 PM
How many days will Lee be suspended for making contact with, and pushing the home plate umpire?

Not that I think he really deserves a suspension, but if other players are routinely suspended for bumping umpires how can you not suspend a guy for pushing an umpire a few feet like Lee did when the ump was trying to stop him from charging the mound? :?:

CHISOXFAN13
03-23-2005, 07:31 PM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-050323soxgamer,1,7938218.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

Great journalism by whomever the AP writer is in this story. Garland left the game after two. Lee hit the jack off Josh Fields. Shocking.

mealfred13
03-23-2005, 07:42 PM
I happened to turn the game on just 5 minutes before Marte beaned Lee.

First of all, Marte has beaned about 6 batters during ST, due to Cooper wanting him to throw inside more to right-handed hitters. He would get rocked last season because he wouldn't go inside on them and left things out over the plate.

I absolutely love the fact that Marte, unlike some players, is actually listening to his coaching staff and doing what they told him to do. I've noticed he's been really keeping right-handed hitters off-balance and giving them a hard time by keeping the option of a tight fastball in their minds. After the Lee "Charging", Marte stuck out a guy with a fastball on the inside corner. I'm looking for Marte to put up some excellent numbers this year if he keeps working on the pitching inside, hopefully with less hit batsmen.

Now, as for the Lee thing, Marte basically threw the ball right at Lee's hip. It was OBVIOUSLY unintentional, and he just hung on to the ball a little too long, but I could see where Lee was upset, having just hit a 3-run homerun and having a ball thrown straight at his hip. It didn't slip out of Marte's hand or anything. That notwithstanding, Marte immediately gave the old " damn it!" wince. When Lee started to come towards the mound, Marte gave him the old "*** are you doing, it was an accident" gesture.

In a blowout game like that, Lee should not be charging the mound, but as Melton said "If he really wanted to do something, he should have run up there."

On a side note, I really enjoyed Melton's commentary. He has a lot to say and he's really knowledgeable about the game, obviously. What did you guys think?

DrCrawdad
03-23-2005, 07:42 PM
There is an AP article on ChicagoSports.com about where Lee says that the Sox sent Pods to embarass him and that the drilling was on purpose.

I don't think Marte hit Lee on purpose.

What a douche.
http://www.greatminiatures.com/shopping/4035t.jpg

mealfred13
03-23-2005, 07:47 PM
According to that Trib article, Lee was angry because Marte Stared him down after the pitch. That's a crock if I ever heard one. Marte immediately reacted to the hit and turned towards third until he saw Lee start coming towards him.

Anyway, the real gem in the article was this:

"Juan Uribe went 4-for-6 with four RBIs and a homer and Joe Crede 4-for-4 for the White Sox, who had 25 hits, many of them thanks to the 32 mph wind gusts."

You have got the be kidding me..... Those wind gusts must really hate the Brewers.

MHOUSE
03-23-2005, 07:53 PM
Good ol' Carlos. "It didn't hurt..."

RedPinStripes
03-23-2005, 08:00 PM
According to that Trib article, Lee was angry because Marte Stared him down after the pitch. That's a crock if I ever heard one. Marte immediately reacted to the hit and turned towards third until he saw Lee start coming towards him.

Anyway, the real gem in the article was this:

"Juan Uribe went 4-for-6 with four RBIs and a homer and Joe Crede 4-for-4 for the White Sox, who had 25 hits, many of them thanks to the 32 mph wind gusts."

You have got the be kidding me..... Those wind gusts must really hate the Brewers.

That's could possibly end up as my sig. That's the best one i read in a while.

zach074
03-23-2005, 08:20 PM

Maybe the tribune is more biased than us? :?:

mealfred13
03-23-2005, 08:24 PM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-050323soxgamer,1,7938218.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

Great journalism by whomever the AP writer is in this story. Garland left the game after two. Lee hit the jack off Josh Fields. Shocking.

Hmmmm.... The official box score also has Josh Fields listed as the pitcher after Garland was pullout after the 2nd inning due to taking a grounder off his right biceps. Garland says he's fine, so it might have just been precautionary.

Apparently, "Josh Fields" went 2 innings, with 4 strikeouts, giving up a 3-run homerun to Carlos Lee.

Are there 2 Josh Fields in camp, or is someone smoking crack?:?:

Ol' No. 2
03-23-2005, 08:24 PM
Hmmmm.... The official box score also has Josh Fields listed as the pitcher after Garland was pullout after the 2nd inning due to taking a grounder off his right biceps. Garland says he's fine, so it might have just been precautionary.

Apparently, "Josh Fields" went 2 innings, with 4 strikeouts, giving up a 3-run homerun to Carlos Lee.

Are there 2 Josh Fields in camp, or is someone smoking crack?:?:Two Josh Fields.

DickAllen72
03-23-2005, 08:25 PM
On a side note, I really enjoyed Melton's commentary. He has a lot to say and he's really knowledgeable about the game, obviously. What did you guys think?

I thought Melton did a fine job in the booth and I also thought Melton and DJ were really good together.

I hope Bill gets a steady gig doing commentary for the Sox, maybe doing a few innings on TV and also on the radio.

BridgePortNative
03-23-2005, 09:02 PM
Like to give props to Josh L. Fields, other than the 3 run blast by Caballo, he was lights out. Had an amazing change-up and beaking ball. He's only pitched in Single A ball.

Viva Medias B's
03-23-2005, 10:57 PM
In his postgame spring training report, George Ofman speculated that Ozzie ordered Marte to plunk Lee because of what Lee did (or did not) do in that Minnesota game last season.

WhiteSoxFan84
03-23-2005, 11:05 PM
This just makes the April 2nd game I'm attending that much better. FIGHT! FIGHT! Actually.... it's 2 days before opening day, I don't want anyone getting hurt. So no, no fighting...... ah what the hell it's early, LET THEM GOOO!!

WhiteSoxFan84
03-23-2005, 11:13 PM
In his postgame spring training report, George Ofman speculated that Ozzie ordered Marte to plunk Lee because of what Lee did (or did not) do in that Minnesota game last season.

Now that's just DUMB. Why the hell would you speculate that kinda crap? Ofman is a real jagoff sometimes. He says things just to stand out and to make a name for himself. I want to say so much more but I'll get in trouble so I'll just bit my lip :angry: :angry: :angry:

Whitesox029
03-23-2005, 11:37 PM
:caballo
LOOK AT ME!!

Foulke You
03-24-2005, 02:28 AM
Now that's just DUMB. Why the hell would you speculate that kinda crap? Ofman is a real jagoff sometimes. He says things just to stand out and to make a name for himself. I want to say so much more but I'll get in trouble so I'll just bit my lip :angry: :angry: :angry:

I was thinking the same thing. That is total speculation on Offman's part to say that. I saw the play, it didn't look intentional. I think Carlos is being a baby about this. It's Spring Training, nobody is out to make you look bad. Shut up and take your base. I'm a big fan of Carlos too but that was just Bush League what he did. Where was that fire against Minnesota???!!:?:

wdelaney72
03-24-2005, 07:55 AM
if he keeps working on the pitching inside, hopefully with less hit basemen.

http://www.fmstar.com/graphic/j/j0171.jpg "Nice velocity. Better teach this kid some control."

Ol' No. 2
03-24-2005, 08:32 AM
In his postgame spring training report, George Ofman speculated that Ozzie ordered Marte to plunk Lee because of what Lee did (or did not) do in that Minnesota game last season.That's got to be one of the dumbest things Ofman has ever said. And that's not an easy task.

Baby Fisk
03-24-2005, 08:37 AM

What is the deal here?! The Sox are suddenly the most wind-assisted team in MLB? :?:

Mickster
03-24-2005, 08:52 AM
What is the deal here?! The Sox are suddenly the most wind-assisted team in MLB? :?:

Don't worry. Some FOBB will bull out some stats proving that very point..... :smile:

MeanFish
03-24-2005, 09:29 AM

But don't you see? We lost Maggs and Carlos! We can't POSSIBLY still score lots of runs on our own!

Unregistered
03-24-2005, 10:36 AM
The idiots on AM1000 have "no doubt" that Marte hit Carlos on purpose, because he stared him down. "Marte said to himself, 'listen, I'm gonna hit him on the thigh - no harm, no foul" - for his "sins" while playing for the Sox.

These guys were OBVIOUSLY not watching the game. Such Bull****. :angry:

ChiSoxRowand
03-24-2005, 12:07 PM
I didn't see the part of the game where Lee got hit, I turned on the game right after while they were showing the replays. Did Marte hit Lee with the first pitch?

Sad
03-24-2005, 12:11 PM
I didn't see the part of the game where Lee got hit, I turned on the game right after while they were showing the replays. Did Marte hit Lee with the first pitch?

yes-
a first pitch fastball

Brian26
03-24-2005, 12:12 PM
I thought Melton did a fine job in the booth and I also thought Melton and DJ were really good together.

I hope Bill gets a steady gig doing commentary for the Sox, maybe doing a few innings on TV and also on the radio.

Interesting...wish I saw the game. Did DJ do pbp while Metly did color?

Did Melton help out Hawk towards the end of the year in 2001 or 2002 when DJ was sick?