PDA

View Full Version : Shingo on WSCR

na_na_na_na
03-23-2005, 01:35 PM
Shingo was just on B&B. They did a pretty nice job interviewing him. I only caught a few questions but here is what he had to say:

On the Sox/Cubs rivalry
-Really enjoys having a rival in town where the fans go to other parks. Makes things very exciting

On the "Gong" sound
-Doesn't find it offensive, likes that the sox did something special for him. Fans love it so he likes it.

Did anyone else catch this or where you listening to Big Frank on AM 1000

BRDSR
03-23-2005, 01:59 PM
Shingo is speaking English well enough to be interviewed over the radio? Is this a new development? Didn't he come here last spring not knowing a lick of English? I'm very impressed that he's confident enough to be interviewed over the radio.

Tekijawa
03-23-2005, 02:02 PM
I saw a comercial on CSN where he was picking Georgia Tech as a dark horse for the Tourney, and Buehrle wouldn't let him for some reason?!?!? Buehrle said "No Shingo, you can't pick Georgia Tech" anyone see when this actually happened? I'd beinterested to know the story behind it.

Jjav829
03-23-2005, 02:21 PM
Shingo is speaking English well enough to be interviewed over the radio? Is this a new development? Didn't he come here last spring not knowing a lick of English? I'm very impressed that he's confident enough to be interviewed over the radio.

No, he had his interpreter with him. He seemed to understand a bit of what B&B were saying, but he can't respond in English.

It was kinda funny, actually. A little ways into the interview Shingo asked if they were live, wanting to know if they could edit what he was saying. Later he joked around when asked on Iguchi, asking them to edit the interview because he didn't know enough about Iguchi. You kind of had to hear the interview to get it, but he meant it as a joke.

BRDSR
03-23-2005, 02:33 PM
No, he had his interpreter with him. He seemed to understand a bit of what B&B were saying, but he can't respond in English.

It was kinda funny, actually. A little ways into the interview Shingo asked if they were live, wanting to know if they could edit what he was saying. Later he joked around when asked on Iguchi, asking them to edit the interview because he didn't know enough about Iguchi. You kind of had to hear the interview to get it, but he meant it as a joke.

Ahhh...not quite as impressive linguistically but I wish I'd heard it all the same. That goofy smile he gets after completing a save makes me think he's probably a pretty humorous guy.

http://oakland.athletics.mlb.com/images/2004/08/14/YmYJfIPh.jpg

FightingBillini
03-23-2005, 02:41 PM
I saw a comercial on CSN where he was picking Georgia Tech as a dark horse for the Tourney, and Buehrle wouldn't let him for some reason?!?!? Buehrle said "No Shingo, you can't pick Georgia Tech" anyone see when this actually happened? I'd beinterested to know the story behind it.

On their thursday night baseball show last week, they asked the Sox players their picks for the tournament. They gave their pick to win it all, and their sleeper team. Obviously, Illinois was the concensus to win it all, and Georgia Tech was the consensus sleeper. Shingo (or his interpreter... you decide:D: ) knew a lot about college basketball. Shingo picked GT as a sleeper. When they told Buehrle, he joked that Shingo couldn't have them. I am assuming they are doing a pool in the clubhouse.

RichFitztightly
03-23-2005, 11:54 PM
On their thursday night baseball show last week, they asked the Sox players their picks for the tournament. They gave their pick to win it all, and their sleeper team. Obviously, Illinois was the concensus to win it all, and Georgia Tech was the consensus sleeper. Shingo (or his interpreter... you decide:D: ) knew a lot about college basketball. Shingo picked GT as a sleeper. When they told Buehrle, he joked that Shingo couldn't have them. I am assuming they are doing a pool in the clubhouse.

What made it funny was Mark actually yelling to Shingo while the interview was going on. Gave the whole thing a little "slice of life" feel to the exchange.

SOX ADDICT '73
03-24-2005, 12:26 AM
What made it funny was Mark actually yelling to Shingo while the interview was going on. Gave the whole thing a little "slice of life" feel to the exchange.
Seeing and hearing things like that has me believing in all this "clubhouse chemistry" stuff. These guys seem to be having a lot of fun together.:D:

WhiteSoxFan84
03-24-2005, 01:46 AM
I heard most of the beginning of the interview.

Shingo asking whether the interview was live or not took place after he commented on the difference between lifestyles in America and Japan. He said America is a lot of fun and a lot of people have real good senses of humor. While in Japan, it is more conservative. He was kidding about the editting.

They asked him if there's any Japanese restaurants he likes in Chicago. He said there is two but he won't name them because "he doesn't want to wait in line".

He was asked about steroids and how if a player was caught using them in Japan, the feeling the player would have would be worse than losing. Shingo said that Japan as a country doesn't know much about steroids and he can honestly say that he thinks no Japanese player has or is using them

As mentioned earlier, he commented on the gong and how he doesn't view it as a stereotype and likes it.

What left a bad taste in my mouth is that he picked UW-Milwaukee to win the NCAA Tournament.

mealfred13
03-24-2005, 01:57 AM
As mentioned earlier, he commented on the bong and how he doesn't view it as a stereotype and likes it.

:bong:I didn't know Shingo partakes in the bong? Pssst....I think you meant gong :rolleyes:

WhiteSoxFan84
03-24-2005, 11:21 AM
:bong:I didn't know Shingo partakes in the bong? Pssst....I think you meant gong :rolleyes:

Oops. My mistake. Or was it a mistake..... :redneck