PDA

View Full Version : Surprise! Teddy G. rips Sox, Lip agrees

Lip Man 1
03-23-2005, 11:56 AM
This blurb was in Teddy Greenstein's column in the Tribune:

"Sources say White Sox officials have been slow to choose their next radio partner because they are stunned by how far the market has fallen. The Sox's current contract with WMVP-AM 1000 is worth $5 million per season, but it appears the team will be fortunate to get $2.5 million per season in its next deal.

WMVP and WSCR are believed to be the two major players in negotiations for a contract that would kick in for the 2006 season. The Sox have said they want to complete a deal by April 1, but insiders believe the talks could last several more weeks.

Analysts say there's a good chance club Chairman Jerry Reinsdorf will opt to split the Sox and Bulls radio rights, in part because the Bulls' deal with WMVP doesn't expire until after the 2005-06 season."

This brings up some interesting questions.

1.Why are the Sox 'stunned' that they won't be getting as much for their radio rights since it appeared to be common knowledge that WMVP overpaid for them the last time around?

2.Just wondering if this is a trend or is only happening in Chicago or only happening to the Sox (Fenway???)

3.Les Grobstein told us I think on these boards last year the rights fee were going to go down. Maybe the Sox don't read WSI? LOL

4.How much would the rights fees have been affected if the Sox had won something substancial during the life of the deal?

Lip

Mickster
03-23-2005, 12:04 PM
In addition to your points above, don't forget that MLB has signed a multi-million dollar deal w/ XM and the revenues from the deal do not get "kicked back" to the stations for whom the radio feeds are taken and re-broadcasted on XM - angering some media conglomerates.

PaleHoseGeorge
03-23-2005, 12:08 PM
This brings up some interesting questions.

1.Why are the Sox 'stunned' that they won't be getting as much for their radio rights since it appeared to be common knowledge that WMVP overpaid for them the last time around?

2.Just wondering if this is a trend or is only happening in Chicago or only happening to the Sox (Fenway???)

3.Les Grobstein told us I think on these boards last year the rights fee were going to go down. Maybe the Sox don't read WSI? LOL

4.How much would the rights fees have been affected if the Sox had won something substancial during the life of the deal?

Lip

Answers to "interesting" questions that ought to be obvious.

1.) "Stunned" is the word a flunky from the Cubune used to describe the Sox' condition. This is the same imbecile who failed to note that the Cubune covered up Scammy So-so's corked bat at the Urinal when chastising Steve Stone for having the temerity to accurately note that the Scammy-leaving-the-ballpark-early videotape never reaches the light of day if the Cubune isn't trying to push Scammy out the door. The umpires were never able to recover the barrel end of that corked bat from the Urinal. WHAT THE **** IS THAT? In other words Lip, consider the source. He's full of ****.

2.) The Sox had a sweetheart radio deal because it was negotiated in tandem with the Bulls' contract that featured some has-been ballplayer from North Carolina. This sweetheart deal wasn't going to last any longer than Jordan's ability to defy gravity.

3.) Les is hardly the only one predicting this. See #2 above.

4.) I have no idea how many times you're going to play this same sour note over and over again, day after day, week after week, month after month, year after year. I only know you're going to get creamed for bringing it up yet again. You're completely unconvincing because you're offering nothing new to substantiate your point. But it's your bed, so lay in it.

Brian26
03-23-2005, 12:23 PM
Answers to "interesting" questions that ought to be obvious.

1.) "Stunned" is the word a flunky from the Cubune used to describe the Sox' condition. This is the same imbecile who failed to note that the Cubune covered up Scammy So-so's corked bat at the Urinal when chastising Steve Stone for having the temerity to accurately note that the Scammy-leaving-the-ballpark-early videotape never reaches the light of day if the Cubune isn't trying to push Scammy out the door. The umpires were never able to recover the barrel end of that corked bat from the Urinal. WHAT THE **** IS THAT? In other words Lip, consider the source. He's full of ****.

2.) The Sox had a sweetheart radio deal because it was negotiated in tandem with the Bulls' contract that featured some has-been ballplayer from North Carolina. This sweetheart deal wasn't going to last any longer than Jordan's ability to defy gravity.

3.) Les is hardly the only one predicting this. See #2 above.

4.) I have no idea how many times you're going to play this same sour note over and over again, day after day, week after week, month after month, year after year. I only know you're going to get creamed for bringing it up yet again. You're completely unconvincing because you're offering nothing new to substantiate your point. But it's your bed, so lay in it.

Gospel.

I think it's comical that Lip thinks Les Grobstein has his finger on the pulse of any major business operation in this city. Les has about as much scoop right now as Pat Bentokowski's cable access show.

CubKilla
03-23-2005, 12:41 PM
Les has about as much scoop right now as Pat Bentokowski's cable access show.

Ouch :o:

PaleHoseGeorge
03-23-2005, 12:45 PM
Whoops... my mistake. It wasn't TV/Radio critic Ed Sherman characterizing the Sox as "shocked"; it was Teddy G.

Since when did the Cubune appointed Teddy G. the expert on TV/Radio negotiations, I'm not sure. Suffice to say Ed Sherman was the guy ripping Steve Stone this past winter after he walked away from WGN... and he's the guy to which the Cubune editors bequeathed their "TV/Radio expert" title, not Teddy G.

Maybe Teddy G. should give us an update on Garry Meier's status? I wonder if Garry is "shocked" by how little he is worth after 14 months out of work, too. Teddy is our man for the answers!

:kukoo:

bennyw41
03-23-2005, 01:10 PM
Gospel.

I think it's comical that Lip thinks Les Grobstein has his finger on the pulse of any major business operation in this city. Les has about as much scoop right now as Pat Bentokowski's cable access show.

I agree. No offense to Les. But using his name for a source is just grasping at straws here...

DrCrawdad
03-23-2005, 01:42 PM
Wasn't Teddy Greestein the (richard)head who smeared Sox fans as the ones who vandalized Wrigley's sacred vines?

Hangar18
03-23-2005, 01:57 PM
Well, I have to wonder about #4, If the SOX had done anything substantial,
you can bet they couldve asked for the Moon, and would probably have
gotten it by now. Will be interesting to see what Rabbit Uncle Jerry
pulls out of his hat now .............

kittle42
03-23-2005, 02:32 PM
Well, I have to wonder about #4, If the SOX had done anything substantial,
you can bet they couldve asked for the Moon, and would probably have
gotten it by now. Will be interesting to see what Rabbit Uncle Jerry
pulls out of his hat now .............

Hangar's turning into Lip's twin.

Brian26
03-23-2005, 04:05 PM
4.How much would the rights fees have been affected if the Sox had won something substancial during the life of the deal?Lip

This is such an asinine question on so many levels. It's typical swill that gets fed to people who are too ignorant to question it. Let's suppose the Sox won "something substantial" by winning the World Series in the magical year of 2000 (while under the MVP umbrella), and then performed exactly as they have for the past four years. Do you think the radio rights would be worth one penny more today than their current value? They wouldn't. Sports fans have the attention span of a 3-year old baby. What have you done for me lately? Go ask the Marlins or Diamondbacks. Meanwhile, as has already been noted, the XM deal has completely changed the landscape of radio broadcasting, much like Elvis Costello recently pointed out that the record industry is changing drastically, and in exponential fashion, with the advent of online downloads and personal music players.

DrCrawdad
03-23-2005, 04:14 PM
...much like Elvis Costello..

I luv Declan McManus.

http://www.lwtua.free-online.co.uk/285.jpg

gf2020
03-23-2005, 06:54 PM
Since when did the Cubune appointed Teddy G. the expert on TV/Radio negotiations, I'm not sure. Suffice to say Ed Sherman was the guy ripping Steve Stone this past winter after he walked away from WGN... and he's the guy to which the Cubune editors bequeathed their "TV/Radio expert" title, not Teddy G.

While I agree with all the points made, Teddy G. has actually been bequeathed as a TV/Radio expert for a few months now.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-teddy-greenstein,1,1296354.columnist?coll=cs-columnists

Sherman and him divide workload as both has as an additional responsibility such as golf and college sports.

Not that I agree with the expert characterization after reading continnual dribble like this.

PaleHoseGeorge
03-23-2005, 06:59 PM
While I agree with all the points made, Teddy G. has actually been bequeathed as a TV/Radio expert for a few months now. ...
Sherman and him divide workload as both has as an additional responsibility such as golf and college sports.

Not that I agree with the expert characterization after reading continnual dribble like this.

Wow! Good catch!
:thumbsup:

Un-beelee-bubble. Our Teddy is now a TV/Radio expert for the Cubune (when not covering golf and college sports, of course). What's next? Mike Downey covering the brain surgery beat?

:)

HomeFish
03-23-2005, 07:12 PM
This is such an asinine question on so many levels. It's typical swill that gets fed to people who are too ignorant to question it. Let's suppose the Sox won "something substantial" by winning the World Series in the magical year of 2000 (while under the MVP umbrella), and then performed exactly as they have for the past four years. Do you think the radio rights would be worth one penny more today than their current value? They wouldn't. Sports fans have the attention span of a 3-year old baby. What have you done for me lately? Go ask the Marlins or Diamondbacks. Meanwhile, as has already been noted, the XM deal has completely changed the landscape of radio broadcasting, much like Elvis Costello recently pointed out that the record industry is changing drastically, and in exponential fashion, with the advent of online downloads and personal music players.

How much money do the Cubs get from their radio deal? What about the Yankees? The Dodgers? Heck, even the Cardinals.

If you adjust all those for population differences, I would be shocked if they didn't make more from radio deals than the Sox. Why? Because lots of people actually want to listen to broadcasts of those teams.

Now, those teams all have a big fan base independent of playoff status, but do you seriously think that if the Sox had fielded a consistent playoff team, or at least a team competitive through the end of the season, they would not be more popular than they are now? That they would not have more leverage?

After all, the Bulls had leverage when they were consistently winning.

Daver
03-23-2005, 07:14 PM
How much money do the Cubs get from their radio deal?

The true number will never be known, since they are broadcast by a station owned by the same owner as the team.

PaleHoseGeorge
03-23-2005, 07:20 PM
How much money do the Cubs get from their radio deal? ....
If you adjust all those for population differences, I would be shocked if they didn't make more from radio deals than the Sox. Why? Because lots of people actually want to listen to broadcasts of those teams.

The last time MLB opened its books, it was revealed the Sox were making MORE reported income on their TV/radio deal than were the Flubs. LMAO! The Cubune is bilking their baseball division simply to make the rest of their corporate earnings look better.

So you're right again, HomeFish. How do you like your crow prepared?

:roflmao:

A.T. Money
03-23-2005, 07:51 PM
The last time MLB opened its books, it was revealed the Sox were making MORE reported income on their TV/radio deal than were the Flubs. LMAO! The Cubune is bilking their baseball division simply to make the rest of their corporate earnings look better.

So you're right again, HomeFish. How do you like your crow prepared?

:roflmao:

LOL!:bandance:

owensmouth
03-24-2005, 10:53 AM
How much money do the Cubs get from their radio deal? What about the Yankees? The Dodgers? Heck, even the Cardinals.

Now, those teams all have a big fan base independent of playoff status, but do you seriously think that if the Sox had fielded a consistent playoff team, or at least a team competitive through the end of the season, they would not be more popular than they are now? That they would not have more leverage?

Perhaps the best one to compare with is the Angels. Like the White Sox, the Angels are perceived by many to be the second team in a two team town. They are both American League team. They are both broadcast over the local ESPN radio station.

Medford Bobby
03-24-2005, 11:33 AM
:?: And they both are teams that won the World Series the last few years..........ah, crap....that was the RED Sox...........:(:

irish rover
03-24-2005, 11:53 AM
I've read several accounts how the cub use "funny accounting" to hide their revenue from TV/Radio

Kinda the samething when dealing with their ticket broker, hide money that they should have accounted for, for revenue shareing purposes

Fenway
03-24-2005, 12:50 PM
Reading this I wonder if White Sox will take it inhouse and buy the time like the Blackhawks.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-050323greenstein,1,5838817.column?coll=cs-columnists&ctrack=3&cset=true

Sources say White Sox officials have been slow to choose their next radio partner because they are stunned by how far the market has fallen. The Sox's current contract with WMVP-AM 1000 is worth $5 million per season, but it appears the team will be fortunate to get $2.5 million per season in its next deal.

WMVP and WSCR are believed to be the two major players in negotiations for a contract that would kick in for the 2006 season. The Sox have said they want to complete a deal by April 1, but insiders believe the talks could last several more weeks.

Analysts say there's a good chance club Chairman Jerry Reinsdorf will opt to split the Sox and Bulls radio rights, in part because the Bulls' deal with WMVP doesn't expire until after the 2005-06 season.

Lip Man 1
03-24-2005, 01:07 PM
The Cubs aren't the only ones, the Braves have (had) been doing it for years. It came out during the 1994 labor impasse when an independent Stanford accountant agreed to by both sides examined the owners books.

What he found and said was that contrary to what Selig said 19 MLB teams were not losing money.

The Braves example was this. WTBS and the Braves were owned by the same guy Ted Turner. Turner automatically was granting TV rights to WTBS for less money then was being offered by other Atlanta stations for those same rights.

Turner then on his books was showing a 'loss' because he wasn't getting as much TV money as he thought he should be getting (so in that sense the Braves were losing money.)

Of course he was losing money because he wasn't willing to have an open bidding on his rights because he didn't want to lose Braves games off another one of his properties WTBS, because that enabled him to charge more for advertsing rights. The Braves made WTBS a more valuable station/ properity.

It's all a shell game.

Lip