PDA

View Full Version : Fallacies of Baseball Logic

MeanFish
03-22-2005, 06:41 PM
Have you ever been in a baseball related argument with someone and had them spew out something that made absolutely no sense and yet it was something you hear all the time? This thread is a place where we can discuss those. :D:

Current Sox fallacies include things like "we can't win because we're built around speed in a power park" and "Your cuban pitchers won't be good because they're like 40" There are bound to be more though that get on people's nerves, and not just about the Sox (which is why I posted this in Talking Baseball).

If you have any others, please share :)

Vestigio
03-22-2005, 07:06 PM
These are quotes from message boards:

"Blah. That's all I can say about this team. They're plain from their uniforms on down. Once people figure out that Japanese guy's Eephus, they're dead in the water."

"They lost quite possibly their two best hitters in the offseason, and replaced them with Scott Podsednik. They did improve the pitching staff, so they could make a run at second place."

"Memo to that guy who said Podsednik could hit: He can't. Unless you consider a .244 average good hitting, then, yeah, he can hit. That would also mean that you need to learn what good hitting is also."

SOXPHILE
03-22-2005, 10:23 PM
Some of the most annoying, dumb things people have said to me are:

1) Hi. I'm a Cub fan.

2) The Cubs have great tradition and history

3) Wrigley Field is a shrine.

4) What !!?? Sammy Sosa is NOT a wife beating steroid user ! How could you say that ?

5) Ron Santo is a great announcer. He deserves to be in the Hall of Fame, especially now, since he's had the amputations. (I swear, I am not making that one up).

illinibk
03-22-2005, 11:33 PM
"Kerry Wood is a great pitcher because he struck out 20 batters in 1998"

fquaye149
03-23-2005, 01:43 AM
"A walk's as good as a hit"

you heard me.

baseball_fanatic
03-23-2005, 09:33 AM
"A walk's as good as a hit"

you heard me.

Sometimes that is true, sometimes it is not. Leading off an inning, a walk is as good as a hit. When there's a runner on secondbase, 2 out, and the pitcher's spot coming up, a walk is not as good as a hit. It all becomes situational on that statement.