PDA

View Full Version : Trib: cubs ditch HR hitters for "small ball"

maurice
03-22-2005, 05:25 PM
When the Sox admitted that they intentionally dumped power hitters in favor of a more balanced team capable of manufacturing runs, they were roundly criticized in the media. Now that the cubs (http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/chi-0503220301mar22,1,3906553.story?coll=chi-sportsnew-hed) have followed suit, we can expect a wave of anti-cubbie media criticism any day now.

Ol' No. 2
03-22-2005, 05:30 PM
When the Sox admitted that they intentionally dumped power hitters in favor of a more balanced team capable of manufacturing runs, they were roundly criticized in the media. Now that the cubs (http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/chi-0503220301mar22,1,3906553.story?coll=chi-sportsnew-hed) have followed suit, we can expect a wave of anti-cubbie media criticism any day now.This is completely different from what the Sox are doing. They're not manufacturing runs. They're creating runs.:?:

spawn
03-22-2005, 05:35 PM
Now let me get this straight: Letting Maggs go via free agency and trading CLee and the Sox screwed up. Ozzie wanting to play small ball is a mistake and will hurt the team, considering the Sox play in a hitter friendly ballpark.

Letting Moises Alou go via free agency and trading Shammy were good because they were left with no other choice. Dusty wanting to play small ball is brilliant because they now have the flexibilty now to do so, even though they play in a hitter friendly ballpark.

Brilliant!!!:rolleyes:

FightingBillini
03-22-2005, 08:06 PM
When the Sox admitted that they intentionally dumped power hitters in favor of a more balanced team capable of manufacturing runs, they were roundly criticized in the media. Now that the cubs (http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/chi-0503220301mar22,1,3906553.story?coll=chi-sportsnew-hed) have followed suit, we can expect a wave of anti-cubbie media criticism any day now.

See, this pisses me off. The Cubs didn't follow suit, as the media says. They didnt "go smallball". They merely lost their two best hitters, and didnt replace them. They didnt replace big sluggers with fast basestealers, they replaced them with a mediocre player who isnt lightning fast (Hairston) and a fat, white version of Sosa with less power (Burnitz). They aren't a small ball team at all, and they didn't aim to be. They lost their two best hitters, and replaced them with has-beens and never-will-bes.

To the Cubs, going "small ball" means dumping their two best power hitters, including their best overall hitter, and replacing them with cheap & mediocre players. That will lead to more runs!

CubsfansareDRUNK
03-22-2005, 08:11 PM
I think this pisses everyone on this site off. I hate cubs fans. yesterday me and this kid were talking sox/cubs.
Him: The sox are gunna suck big time this year.
Me: What the f*** you talking about. They filled up all their holes!
Him:Dude, they lost carlos lee. he was the only good player on their team
me: name 5 good pitchers on the cubs
Him: Uhhh....Glendon Rauch, umm...Greg Maddux...uh....
me: name some GOOD offseason moves the cubs made this year
him: uhhhh..... at least they got rid of sosa

Whitesox029
03-22-2005, 10:11 PM
Ok now you HAVE to make your own party thread in the parking lot.

PAPChiSox729
03-23-2005, 10:21 PM
See, this pisses me off. The Cubs didn't follow suit, as the media says. They didnt "go smallball". They merely lost their two best hitters, and didnt replace them. They didnt replace big sluggers with fast basestealers, they replaced them with a mediocre player who isnt lightning fast (Hairston) and a fat, white version of Sosa with less power (Burnitz). They aren't a small ball team at all, and they didn't aim to be. They lost their two best hitters, and replaced them with has-beens and never-will-bes.

FightingBillini, you genius is showing!
:tongue:

HebrewHammer
03-23-2005, 10:45 PM
Signing Jeromy Burnitz is probably a better way to manufacture runs instead of waiting for the longball.:rolleyes: