PDA

View Full Version : Barry Bonds says he is out until midseason

ChiSoxRowand
03-22-2005, 01:00 PM
Don't have a link, it is on ESPNEWS. See, this is why you don't make predictions or have fantasy drafts a month before the season starts.

Kuzman
03-22-2005, 01:13 PM
Listened to the interview on Dan Patrick. Dan is right and it does sound like he just wants to quit. Retire or what not.

TornLabrum
03-22-2005, 01:14 PM
So that's how long it takes to rid your body of steroids?

TwinKess
03-22-2005, 01:24 PM
I'm guessing this is the excuse so he doesn't have to explain any possible number drop off this year.

SluggersAway
03-22-2005, 01:24 PM
Here (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2018994) is a link to the espn story. Some very interesting quotes from Bonds:

"I really don't have much to say anymore," Bonds said. "My son and I just going to enjoy life. My family's tired. You guys [the media] wanted to hurt me bad enough, you finally got there.

"You wanted me to jump off the bridge, I finally have jumped. You wanted the bring me down, you've finally brought me and my family down. Finally done it. From everybody, all of you. So now go pick a different person. I'm done. Do the best I can, that's about it."

Asked if there was something specific he was talking about Bonds said, "Inner hurt, physical, mentally. Done. I'm mentally drained. I'm tired of my kids crying. Tired."

Bonds said he might even miss the entire season. Sounds like post-roid apathy, if there is such a thing.

cheeses_h_rice
03-22-2005, 01:28 PM
The timing on his surgery (February) makes absolutely no sense, unless you consider that Barroid was immersed in the swelling BALCO scandal and wanted to avoid the glare of the media eye in ST, when he damn well knew every single question would be about steroids.

Now this development seems even fishier. Perhaps he knew he wouldn't be half the man without his version of Sammy's Flintstones vitamins, and didn't want to have to try and explain it away.

mike squires
03-22-2005, 01:35 PM
Blaming everyone else but himself of his mistakes. I don't feel bad at all for him.

Jjav829
03-22-2005, 01:41 PM
What a shame it would be if he never played again. And everyone would miss him so much, too!

StockdaleForVeep
03-22-2005, 01:44 PM
I love how he ofcourse attacks the media for villianizing him, similar to what sosa did to the media, naturally he doesnt thank the media for makin him who he is.

I wonder if its the roids that has him so slow in recovering, much like the theories with prior and his roidal calves.

Tekijawa
03-22-2005, 01:44 PM
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=545&ncid=755&e=1&u=/ap/20050322/ap_on_sp_ba_ne/bbn_giants_bonds

from yahoo... Guess the Babe and hammerin' hank won't have to worry about an Asterisk ahead of them.

Flight #24
03-22-2005, 01:45 PM
What a shame it would be if he never played again. And everyone would miss him so much, too!

I for one would be EXTREMELY disappointed. I drafted him in my fantasy league (of course before the 2d surgery and potential retirement...:whiner: :whiner: :whiner:

And my league tracks OBP & SLG separately too, so I was pretty psyched about having him dominate (as usual) across 6 categories (HR, RBI, R, Avg, OBP, SLG).

Niagara
03-22-2005, 01:45 PM
I was so looking forward to watching his head shrink back to normal size without 'roids.

tlebar318
03-22-2005, 01:57 PM
Good riddance! Roids or no Roids he is a good ballplayer---problem is that he is an acehole as a person and he makes it hard to root for him--

mike squires
03-22-2005, 02:00 PM
So is this an unofficial retirement? Or will he back midwaythrough the season?

Ol' No. 2
03-22-2005, 02:07 PM
So is this an unofficial retirement? Or will he back midwaythrough the season?What part of "might" is unclear?:?:

Niagara
03-22-2005, 02:07 PM
Maybe Barry can be the new spokesman for Enzyte!

"Here's Barry - he decided to go big time after a bad case of 'roidal shinkage. See the new gleam in his eyes and spring in his step. And here's Miss Thing, who's glad Barry went big time, and so is his Wife" .

Barry can pose holding a large bat with a huge grin on his face, while McGuire and Sammy stand in the background holding little miniature bats and looking miserable because they didn't take Enzyte.

Rocklive99
03-22-2005, 02:10 PM
What a jag, you're a great team player Barry! My assumption is he wants to take the McGwire road and just disappear and retire, but as we found with Big Mac, you can't hide forever. "Mentally drained" = Oh ****, I forgot to pay that girl from the Boom Boom Inn and now she's going to make me liable for perjury

Ol' No. 2
03-22-2005, 02:14 PM
Barry hears footsteps behind him. Greg Anderson is copping a plea and that can only mean bad news for Barry.

Chicago83
03-22-2005, 02:17 PM
Please retire Barry!! Just give it up before you desecrate a long-standing record that you do not deserve. Please!

VivaOzzie
03-22-2005, 02:29 PM
What a stand-up guy...hes screwing over his whole team!! I think hes doing this for the following reasons...

1) To pout. He wants it to seem like he is the victim here and the 'evil media' mentally drained him. Grow a pair, buddy. He just wants eveyone to feel bad for him.

2) If he does in fact retire for good, he won't have the steroids stigma attached to him as the all-time home run king. While he will always have that stigma for doing steroids, it gets magnified a hundred times when/if he breaks the record.

3) If he does return midseason, or next season, he will have had time to work out honestly, without the juice. Or maybe hes just waiting for the new wave of undetectable drugs.

TommyJohn
03-22-2005, 02:30 PM
Here (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2018994) is a link to the espn story. Some very interesting quotes from Bonds:

"I really don't have much to say anymore," Bonds said. "My son and I just going to enjoy life. My family's tired. You guys [the media] wanted to hurt me bad enough, you finally got there.

"You wanted me to jump off the bridge, I finally have jumped. You wanted the bring me down, you've finally brought me and my family down. Finally done it. From everybody, all of you. So now go pick a different person. I'm done. Do the best I can, that's about it."

Asked if there was something specific he was talking about Bonds said, "Inner hurt, physical, mentally. Done. I'm mentally drained. I'm tired of my kids crying. Tired."

Bonds said he might even miss the entire season. Sounds like post-roid apathy, if there is such a thing.

What an unbelievable load of self-pitying bull. He takes absolutely no
responsibility for anything he has done. Did Hank Aaron ever act like
this?

StillMissOzzie
03-22-2005, 02:49 PM
And BTW (referring to the Yahoo linky above), nice timing by the Giants to drop that at-bat provision that vests his $18M salary for 2006.

SMO
:gulp:

Ol' No. 2
03-22-2005, 02:51 PM
this?No, Aaron didn't. And HE had a reason to feel persecuted.

Clembasbal
03-22-2005, 03:11 PM
Baby Bonds is a bum. Period.

I think he is out for the same reason Sosa was out last year. They might be injured, but I doubt it. Sosa injured from a sneeze? More like steriods or growth hormone. Bonds knee injury? More like steriods or growth hormore. They need time to get it out of their systems, or it is just an undercover suspension.

I doubt he is really THAT hurt. Excuses, excuses.

chisoxmike
03-22-2005, 03:45 PM
Wow, just wow. Amazing, this guy is payed millions and millions of dollars year end and year out and now he is drained by everything so decideds to quit. What a jag.

Did anybody see the end of the interview where he says to his son "lets go home."

Please.

voodoochile
03-22-2005, 03:54 PM
this?

No, and what Hank endured was 10X worse. He received death threats galore when he was closing on Babe and had to wait an entire off-season to go for the record.

Hank did withdraw from public life after he retired, but he didn't whine or complain, he just went out and put up his 40 year after year after year.

Hey Barry, here's your hat, what's your hurry... Punk...

I agree, he's just waiting to see how this all pans out and waiting for the winds to change direction... He'll be back and when he finally does break the record, look out. He'll make Ricky Henderson seem timid...

balke
03-22-2005, 04:01 PM
I agree, he's just waiting to see how this all pans out and waiting for the winds to change direction... He'll be back and when he finally does break the record, look out. He'll make Ricky Henderson seem timid...

I must be too young for this comment. What's wrong with Ricky Henderson?

It seemed like he's either gone off the deep end, or that he's on medication from his surgery, that was overly emotional for anyone. I can't believe he's done for the season. I can't even see him out for half a season, but perhaps close to that. Aren't these injuries 8-10 weeks?

This isn't the last we've heard from Bonds this season.... or this week for that matter.

daveeym
03-22-2005, 04:09 PM

It seemed like he's either gone off the deep end, or that he's on medication from his surgery, that was overly emotional for anyone. I can't believe he's done for the season. I can't even see him out for half a season, but perhaps close to that. Aren't these injuries 8-10 weeks?

This isn't the last we've heard from Bonds this season.... or this week for that matter.Ricky Henderson says there's nothing wrong with the Great Ricky Henderson. You can't hold Ricky Henderson's Jock. Talk like this makes Ricky Angry, but no one's going to keep Ricky Henderson down. Ain't nothing gonna break Ricky's stride, Ain't nothing going to slow Ricky down, OH NO, Ricky's got to keep on moving.

RKMeibalane
03-22-2005, 04:11 PM
I hope he never plays again. I'm sick of his constant whining and bitching about how badly he's been treated by everyone. I know this much: if I made millions of dollars to play a child's game, I would not waste my time worrying about what the general public thought of me. Barry Bonds is nothing more than a selfish, egotistical, and racist prick. Baseball will be better off without him around.

Now, if we could just find a way to get rid of these other morons...

:shammy :tool

"Why are you looking at us?"

voodoochile
03-22-2005, 04:14 PM

This isn't the last we've heard from Bonds this season.... or this week for that matter.

When Ricky finally caught Brock, he made comments to the effect that now there could be no doubt who the greatest ever was. He was a great player, but had a head the size of a basketball...

ma_deuce
03-22-2005, 04:23 PM
When Ricky finally caught Brock, he made comments to the effect that now there could be no doubt who the greatest ever was. He was a great player, but had a head the size of a basketball(emphasis added)...

So does Bonds... literally! :) That's one big noggin!

Deuce

balke
03-22-2005, 04:28 PM
Ricky Henderson says theirs nothing wrong with the Great Ricky Henderson. You can't hold Ricky Henderson's Jock. Talk like this makes Ricky Angry, but no one's going to keep Ricky Henderson down. Ain't nothing gonna break Ricky's stride, Ain't nothing going to slow Ricky down, OH NO, Ricky's got to keep on moving.

I couldn't hold ricky's jock. 1406 Stolen bases is insane and he's got the most runs scored in a career. I didn't know he talked like that. Nonetheless he's one of the greatest offensive players of all time.

Many of the all-time leaders in anything (baseball-wise) have stories of "not so greatness". Alcoholism, PED's, gambling, being an ars in public opinion. Its strange. There are those who have stories of overcoming something as well. Triumph and Tragedy I suppose. Must come with all the media attention, being under a microscope.

TommyJohn
03-22-2005, 04:35 PM
No, Aaron didn't. And HE had a reason to feel persecuted.

Yeah, my point exactly. If Jackie Robinson were around today, I wonder what
he would say to Bonds. Fun to wonder. I do wonder what Hank Aaron's take
on it will be.

TommyJohn
03-22-2005, 04:37 PM
I couldn't hold ricky's jock. 1406 Stolen bases is insane and he's got the most runs scored in a career. I didn't know he talked like that. Nonetheless he's one of the greatest offensive players of all time.

Many of the all-time leaders in anything (baseball-wise) have stories of "not so greatness". Alcoholism, PED's, gambling, being an ars in public opinion. Its strange. There are those who have stories of overcoming something as well. Triumph and Tragedy I suppose. Must come with all the media attention, being under a microscope.

Nobody could hold Rickey's jock. Rickey even said so. Rickey said Rickey is
the greatest, and TommyJohn believes Rickey. Well, maybe Gwynn was
better.

SOXSINCE'70
03-22-2005, 04:55 PM
I'm tired too.I'm tired of ballplayers (and managers) going to the
podium with their young children to sit on their laps as human
bat-shields.Wonder where Barely Bland learned that trick.
Maybe it was his former manager,"Crusty" Faker.
Watch highlights of any sCrUBS press conference.I guarantee
that if "Crusty" is involved,his 6 year old son will be sitting on his lap.
See,the "mediots" won't ask tough questions when a kid is sitting
on someone's lap.:angry: :angry:

Goodbye,Barry.Baseball will actually be fun in 2005.
Hank Aaron's HR record stands,at least for now.
Have a good rest,you big headed buffoon.
Good riddance,'roid boy!!:angry: :angry:

dcb33
03-22-2005, 05:35 PM
I hope he never plays again. I'm sick of his constant whining and bitching about how badly he's been treated by everyone. I know this much: if I made millions of dollars to play a child's game, I would not waste my time worrying about what the general public thought of me. Barry Bonds is nothing more than a selfish, egotistical, and racist prick. Baseball will be better off without him around.

Now, if we could just find a way to get rid of these other morons...

:shammy :tool

"Why are you looking at us?"

Barry's turned himself into such a clown he almost makes Shammy look like an amatuer.
What a friggin' joke. This guy has banked 131 mil playing ball and now he's "tired" and upset at how poorly he's being treated? Most of the people in this country will work for decades in jobs they hate and not even come close to amassing 1% of the wealth he has attained by living a dream. If he has that big of a problem he should just keep his damn mouth shut and retire to seclusion because if he keeps this up, he'll quickly learn how many people are tired of his pathetic excuse at being a man.

santo=dorf
03-22-2005, 05:43 PM
Think about it.

Both are close to the all-time record.

They are both named "Barry."

Bonds' son was wearing a Barry Sanders jersey when he was sitting next to his dad.

Very interesting........

Chisox003
03-22-2005, 05:51 PM
Barry's turned himself into such a clown he almost makes Shammy look like an amatuer.
What a friggin' joke. This guy has banked 131 mil playing ball and now he's "tired" and upset at how poorly he's being treated? Most of the people in this country will work for decades in jobs they hate and not even come close to amassing 1% of the wealth he has attained by living a dream. If he has that big of a problem he should just keep his damn mouth shut and retire to seclusion because if he keeps this up, he'll quickly learn how many people are tired of his pathetic excuse at being a man.

Amen.

Its always someone else's fault, never Barrys....Good riddance

Jjav829
03-22-2005, 05:53 PM
Think about it.

Both are close to the all-time record.

They are both named "Barry."

Bonds' son was wearing a Barry Sanders jersey when he was sitting next to his dad.

Very interesting........

And that's where the comparisons end. You can't even compare them as people. Plus, is there any doubt Bonds wants to pass this supposed record of Ruth's? There is doubt that Sanders really wanted the record. Other than both being named Barry and being close to records, there's simply no comparison.

Mark_Buehrle56
03-22-2005, 06:06 PM
Barry Bonds is the biggest baby. :whiner:

santo=dorf
03-22-2005, 06:07 PM
And that's where the comparisons end. You can't even compare them as people. Plus, is there any doubt Bonds wants to pass this supposed record of Ruth's? There is doubt that Sanders really wanted the record. Other than both being named Barry and being close to records, there's simply no comparison.

I know, I know.

I was just some fun, wild speculation that Bonds would be retiring based on the jersey his son was wearing. :tongue:

Infallible
03-22-2005, 07:47 PM
this sucks cause I got tickets to the SF games at Miller Park in July. Who am I going to chant roid boy to now?

The Racehorse
03-22-2005, 08:30 PM
this sucks cause I got tickets to the SF games at Miller Park in July. Who am I going to chant roid boy to now?

Felipe Alou!

:)

RKMeibalane
03-22-2005, 08:43 PM

Moises Alou is playing in SF now. You can taunt him for urinating on his hands.

Baby Fisk
03-22-2005, 08:55 PM
Bonds should just **** and go to hell. Sorry Mods for the language as I've had a few Dr Peppers this evening, but I spent part of this afternoon reading Ron Kittle's new book. It contains a recollection of a shocking and disgusting incident between Kittle and Bonds that I will post in a future totally biased book review. The incident clearly displays Bonds's INHERENT RACISM and leaves one to conclude that he is beneath contempt. Sorry if this makes no sense, I'll post a review shortly. Anyone else who has a copy of the book will find the reference very early in the book. :angry:

Wsoxmike59
03-22-2005, 09:53 PM
Boo Hoo! Nice pity party you've got goin' on there Barry. :whiner:

Good bye and Good Riddance to that "alledged" steroid eating freak Barroid Bonds. I hope he NEVER sets foot on another baseball diamond again!

I've hated his guts since he made the statement that he wanted to play long enough to pass Babe Ruth but NOT Henry Aaron in the career HR Totals.

News Flash to you Mr. Bonds you egotistocal Bastard: You couldn't be a steroid induced pimple on either of those guys butts!!! May you rot in hell you No Good Cheating Bastard.

TornLabrum
03-22-2005, 10:10 PM
Boo Hoo! Nice pity party you've got goin' on there Barry. :whiner:

Good bye and Good Riddance to that "alledged" steroid eating freak Barroid Bonds. I hope he NEVER sets foot on another baseball diamond again!

I've hated his guts since he made the statement that he wanted to play long enough to pass Babe Ruth but NOT Henry Aaron in the career HR Totals.

News Flash to you Mr. Bonds you egotistocal Bastard: You couldn't be a steroid induced pimple on either of those guys butts!!! May you rot in hell you No Good Cheating Bastard.

Come now...have you forgotten that Mr. Bonds thought it was flaxseed oil he was taking to build up his muscles?

HebrewHammer
03-22-2005, 10:37 PM
Anyone else think we've seen Bonds play his last game? I just get the feeling he doesn't want to play anymore.

TornLabrum
03-22-2005, 10:39 PM
Anyone else think we've seen Bonds play his last game? I just get the feeling he doesn't want to play anymore.

If he can't play juiced he doesn't want to play at all?

HebrewHammer
03-22-2005, 10:42 PM

Sad fact is he didn't need the juice to be great. Shammy on the other hand...

TornLabrum
03-22-2005, 10:44 PM
Sad fact is he didn't need the juice to be great. Shammy on the other hand...

I think the big question about Barry is whether he would have improved so much as he neared and passed 40 had he not been juiced and if he now sees the writing on the wall since there is no way he'll be able to play juiced in the future.

SoxxoS
03-22-2005, 10:48 PM
I hope he can't play again, and I am dead serious.

FarWestChicago
03-22-2005, 10:49 PM
Sad fact is he didn't need the juice to be great. Shammy on the other hand...The problem is Barry wasn't satisfied with being great. He wanted to be the greatest. Sham-ME just wanted to feed his ego, make millions and laugh at gullible Americans on his way to the bank.

:nandrolone

You got that right!!

rmusacch
03-22-2005, 11:06 PM
The problem is Barry wasn't satisfied with being great. He wanted to be the greatest. Sham-ME just wanted to feed his ego, make millions and laugh at gullible Americans on his way to the bank.

:nandrolone

You got that right!!

The sad thing is that he did it too.

Frankfan4life
03-22-2005, 11:11 PM
The chickens have finally come home to roost. Barry is a cheater--on the baseball field and off. He should quit blaming the media and try coming clean because everybody knows the truth. What a loser!

FarWestChicago
03-22-2005, 11:27 PM
The sad thing is that he did it too.Every single media person that particpated in The Fraud That Was Sham-ME should first apologize to their audience and then resign. Almost no other profession would allow that level of irresponsibility (well, politics comes to mind :D: ). Has even one of them apologized, much less resigned? :rolleyes:

Deadguy
03-23-2005, 07:04 AM

I really hope so, although I'd love to see a steroid free Bonds try to hang on too long and embarass himself, and watch his career BA dip below .300 again.

voodoochile
03-23-2005, 09:15 AM

Sad but true... A first for WSI... It didn't come from the Clubhouse.

POTW (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=13&id=2764)

PaleHoseGeorge
03-23-2005, 09:21 AM
The problem is Barry wasn't satisfied with being great. He wanted to be the greatest. Sham-ME just wanted to feed his ego, make millions and laugh at gullible Americans on his way to the bank.

Yep. This message board is filled with posts by people who still believe Sammy is stupid. It's unbelievable how many people he has fooled with his broken English shtick. Complete chumps...

Scammy was the smartest man sitting at that table on Capitol Hill last week. Next to McGwire he had the most to hide and yet he got away scot-free.

Mickster
03-23-2005, 09:33 AM

[tinfoil hat]

*CONSPIRACY THEORY*

1. Barry's kid (with him at the Scottsdale interview) was wearing a Barry Sanders jersey. Does he consider dad the other sports "great" who retired on the brink of breaking an all time record? Was the jersey a planned stunt?

2. Barry has his knee scoped for the 2nd time. It does not take 3-6 months to rehab a scoped knee, even at 40. The 3 months is, infact, the enough time for steroids to be "filtered" out of the body so that one who was using would not have a positive test.

3. Could it have been MLB that told Barry to take a seat or "hang 'em up" simply because they could not deal with him possibly breaking Ruth's or Aaron's record on the wake of the steroid scandal? Think of it this way: It seem's that there were "outside" forces that made Barry say what he said, stating that the reporters "finally got what they wanted". Could he be referring to the Media's coverage forcing MLB "force" him not to break the record?

:?: :?: :?:

[/tinfoil hat]

Baby Fisk
03-23-2005, 10:09 AM
3. Could it have been MLB that told Barry to take a seat or "hang 'em up" simply because they could not deal with him possibly breaking Ruth's or Aaron's record on the wake of the steroid scandal? Think of it this way: It seem's that there were "outside" forces that made Barry say what he said, stating that the reporters "finally got what they wanted". Could he be referring to the Media's coverage forcing MLB "force" him not to break the record?

How would it feel to break Hank Aaron's 755 and be booed by the fans and derided by the media? :?: Now there's an MLB PR coup!

Flight #24
03-23-2005, 10:19 AM
Am I the only one who thinks that this whole thing is another one of Barry's ploys to play with the media, and that he's probably going to be back on the field within the projected 4-8 week timeframe?

misty60481
03-23-2005, 10:28 AM
If he retires now he wont be tested for steroids this year,, if he decides to return before year is over---will he then be tested ?? I think there is more to this than the sob story he is givivg the press----

Mickster
03-23-2005, 10:29 AM
If he retires now he wont be tested for steroids this year,, if he decides to return before year is over---will he then be tested ?? I think there is more to this than the sob story he is givivg the press----

If he retires or is on the DL he will not be tested for steroids!

Flight #24
03-23-2005, 10:38 AM

I thought all that it took to be tested wwas to be on the ML roster? Can anyone confirm/deny this? If not, I would expect to be seeing a lot more big names conveniently hit the DL.....

chisoxmike
03-23-2005, 10:45 AM

[/tinfoil hat]

Kind of like how the NBA told MJ to take a year off.

California Sox
03-23-2005, 10:47 AM
Barry seems to be depressed. The talk of being "tired" really points to that. Isn't depression a side effect from the withdrawal from steroids. I heard that withdrawal can be quite difficult, especially losing a feeling of energy and power. He'll cheer up when his system goes back to normal, about mid-season. Hey...

Mickster
03-23-2005, 10:58 AM
Kind of like how the NBA told MJ to take a year off.

Should that be in teal? :smile:

WhiteSoxFan84
03-23-2005, 11:29 AM
He's screwed. He committed perjury and probably is going to make a deal with baseball and the feds that he can't be put in jail for any of his testimony. In return for that he'll step down now and not break anymore records.

I'm also hearing that Bonds and his wife (I'm surprised they're still together) are having a REALLY bad time right now. That whole girlfriend issue coming up and just all the stress getting to him isn't smoothing things out between the two of them.

Barry Bonds: liar, cheater, adulter, baseball's single season HR record holder, and a first ballot hall of famer. You gotta love America :redneck

wdelaney72
03-23-2005, 12:17 PM
[tinfoil hat]

*CONSPIRACY THEORY*

1. Barry's kid (with him at the Scottsdale interview) was wearing a Barry Sanders jersey. Does he consider dad the other sports "great" who retired on the brink of breaking an all time record? Was the jersey a planned stunt?

2. Barry has his knee scoped for the 2nd time. It does not take 3-6 months to rehab a scoped knee, even at 40. The 3 months is, infact, the enough time for steroids to be "filtered" out of the body so that one who was using would not have a positive test.

[/tinfoil hat]

Scary, but this could actually be the situation. Maybe part of the reason that Bonds is so bitter as that he was given an offer he couldn't refuse.

:sopranos "Barry, I would strongly consider taking up Golf - immediately."

jabrch
03-23-2005, 12:45 PM
An interesting question...

We all know Bonds is a cheater and a steroid user. But when do you think he STARTED using steroids?

The easiest, most logical, point to accuse him is between 1992 and 1993 when he left Pittsburgh to go to SFO. He suddenly went from hitting 33, 25 and 34 HRs the three years prior to hitting 46 HRs. 2000 is another logical spot. At age 35 he went from 34 HRs in an injury (steroids to rehab...plus side benefits?) shortened (102 games) season to 49 followed by 73. Another option is between 89 and 90. He suddenly went from hitting 19 HRs to 33 HRs. He also then started putting on muscle if I recall correctly.

My guess....this has been going on a lot longer than just 2000. As far as I am concerned, this casts a dubious shadow over his entire career.

I hope he never plays another inning again.

Shorty1983
03-23-2005, 01:39 PM
Pro-Bonds supporter here. Leave the man alone, does anyone really care if he had a mistress? Why are you all of you so concerned on Bonds. You guys are worse than the media. Hypothetical question: If Bond's played for the White Sox would you support him?

The man is history in the making, and everyone is trying to bring him down. I hope he recovers from his surgery, comes back and passes Ruth's. When he ties Hank's records he will point with his finger out to deep center and smack a home run and reign supreme in all baseball as the greatest of all time.

The media can create you and will eventually break you. That's the media's goal, it happens to the best.

daveeym
03-23-2005, 01:43 PM
Pro-Bonds supporter here. Leave the man alone, does anyone really care if he had a mistress? Why are you all of you so concerned on Bonds. You guys are worse than the media. Hypothetical question: If Bond's played for the White Sox would you support him?

The man is history in the making, and everyone is trying to bring him down. I hope he recovers from his surgery, comes back and passes Ruth's. When he ties Hank's records he will point with his finger out to deep center and smack a home run and reign supreme in all baseball as the greatest of all time.

The media can create you and will eventually break you. That's the media's goal, it happens to the best. He's doing a fair enough job bringing himself down on his own. Sad that you hold a cheater in such high esteem and feel he shouldn't be called out for it.

Hangar18
03-23-2005, 01:47 PM
[tinfoil hat]

*CONSPIRACY THEORY*

[/tinfoil hat]

whoah, tinfoil aside, I would tend to believe #2. Dont think
MLB isnt in Damage Control right now. Remember, MLB is being run by
a very small League of Extraordinarily Dumb Gentleman, I wouldnt rule
anything out when it comes to these Bozo's

Baby Fisk
03-23-2005, 01:49 PM

The media can create you and will eventually break you. That's the media's goal, it happens to the best.
Sorry Shorty. Bonds is a dope and a racist dope at that. I don't have it with me today to quote from, but in Ron Kittle's new book Kittle recounts an episode between him and Bonds that left him seething with rage. Kittle runs a youth charity in Indiana and to help raise funds, he purchases game-worn jerseys and gets players to sign them to be auctioned off later. Kittle purchased 2 Bonds game-worn jerseys and approached Bonds in the Giants clubhouse one day. When Kittle asked Bonds to sign the jerseys, Bonds glared at him and said "I don't sign for white people." Kittle was stunned, then enraged. He tried again but Bonds just turned his back. Giants pitcher Matt Williams had to get in between them. Shortly afterwards, then-Giants manager Dusty "clown shoes" Baker slithered over to Kittle and tried to ease things over. Kittle gave one of the jerseys away and shredded the other one. Bonds is a reprehensible human. :angry:

voodoochile
03-23-2005, 01:55 PM

I don't give one rat's patoot about the mistress. I figure that is between Barry, his wife and the other woman. I do care about baseball. Barry is a cheater. He's an illegal drug user. He's a liar too and he's about to get legally creamed (if there is any justice). He can stand there wagging his finger and his tongue at the media, denying he was cheating, claiming he was an innocent pawn and fighting the fire surrounding him with gasoline laced tirades until the day he burns up or out or down, I really don't care. It isn't about Barry. It isn't about ShamME*. It isn't about Mark McLiar or Canseco or any of them. It's about the game.

It always is because the day is going to come when these cheaters are no longer playing. It's coming sooner for Barry now that he can no longer cheat his way to success. Soon he will be just another washed up jock trying to live on fading glory. But then of course he won't be willing to talk about the past unless it's about the records he set. The question of how he set them will always be off-limits.

What's that old Steve Rosenbloom line? Hey Barry, your plane is boarding (and good riddance).

I'll take Frank anyday of the week and twice on Sunday...

Jjav829
03-23-2005, 02:16 PM
Am I the only one who thinks that this whole thing is another one of Barry's ploys to play with the media, and that he's probably going to be back on the field within the projected 4-8 week timeframe?

Yes, now stop hoping that your fantasy team won't be screwed by this. :D:

Baby Fisk
03-23-2005, 02:20 PM
This must be forcing you to dramatically re-write your Giants team preview, no? :?:

shoota
03-23-2005, 02:21 PM

Do you have any more information on that? I'm very interested to know.

Haven't all MLB players already been forced to submit to drug testing this season under the new rules? And if they already have been tested, I wonder if Selig sneaked in the "or $10k fine" part of the contract after Bonds tested positive for performance-enhancing drugs.

Did/do DL players have to submit to testing? Can a player even be put on the DL before the regular season starts? Has Barry been tested this year?

Jjav829
03-23-2005, 02:30 PM
This must be forcing you to dramatically re-write your Giants team preview, no? :?:

Not really. I stopped doing them because it didn't seem like people really cared. They were getting like 2 replies, so why bother? I thought there would be a bigger response. Maybe I need to lead people into replies better. I'd have to post a few a day to catch up, but maybe I'll do something much shorter and let others do more of the preview part.

Flight #24
03-23-2005, 02:32 PM

:whiner: :whiner: :whiner:

Ol' No. 2
03-23-2005, 02:36 PM
I don't give one rat's patoot about the mistress. I figure that is between Barry, his wife and the other woman. I do care about baseball. Barry is a cheater. He's an illegal drug user. He's a liar too and he's about to get legally creamed (if there is any justice). He can stand there wagging his finger and his tongue at the media, denying he was cheating, claiming he was an innocent pawn and fighting the fire surrounding him with gasoline laced tirades until the day he burns up or out or down, I really don't care. It isn't about Barry. It isn't about ShamME*. It isn't about Mark McLiar or Canseco or any of them. It's about the game.

It always is because the day is going to come when these cheaters are no longer playing. It's coming sooner for Barry now that he can no longer cheat his way to success. Soon he will be just another washed up jock trying to live on fading glory. But then of course he won't be willing to talk about the past unless it's about the records he set. The question of how he set them will always be off-limits.

What's that old Steve Rosenbloom line? Hey Barry, your plane is boarding (and good riddance).

I'll take Frank anyday of the week and twice on Sunday...I'll go one step further. There has always been cheating of one form or another in baseball. Pitchers scuff balls. Hitters cork bats. But steroids are fundamentally different. Kids invariably will do what they see professionals do. Whether they like it or not, the price of making millions of dollars to play a kid's game is that you become a role model that kids will imitate, and no amount of whining will change that. It comes with the territory.

No kid ever screwed up his life or committed suicide over a corked bat or a shined baseball.

Baby Fisk
03-23-2005, 02:48 PM
Not really. I stopped doing them because it didn't seem like people really cared. They were getting like 2 replies, so why bother? I thought there would be a bigger response. Maybe I need to lead people into replies better. I'd have to post a few a day to catch up, but maybe I'll do something much shorter and let others do more of the preview part.
Mix a little RELIGION and POLITICS into those previews and watch those tomatoes grow! :cool:

Eg. Ichiro shows no signs of letting up, much like the separatist radicals in Sri Lanka.

Eg. Randy Johnson still has a fireball hotter than Hell, which is what only fools and conservatives believe in.

Eg. The Roman Catholic church is --

:o: *Runs away at the sound of angry Mod footsteps*

Flight #24
03-23-2005, 02:59 PM
Mix a little RELIGION and POLITICS into those previews and watch those tomatoes grow! :cool:

Eg. Ichiro shows no signs of letting up, much like the separatist radicals in Sri Lanka.

Eg. Randy Johnson still has a fireball hotter than Hell, which is what only fools and conservatives believe in.

Eg. The Roman Catholic church is --

:o: *sees the Mods and runs away*

Less likely to end up in the **house, and equally likely to be a cheap way to drive up responses: Compare each team to what Billy Beane would have done. Then just step back and watch the fireworks begin!!!

wait, maybe that's equally likely to end up in the Roadhouse....oh well....

Baby Fisk
03-23-2005, 03:00 PM
Less likely to end up in the **house, and equally likely to be a cheap way to drive up responses: Compare each team to what Billy Bean would have done. Then just step back and watch the fireworks begin!!!

wait, maybe that's equally likely to end up int he Roadhouse....oh well....

Yes! For each team, add a sidebar entitled "WWBBD?" and describe what moves Billy Beane could make so that that particular team becomes yet another paper World Series Winner. :cool:

PaleHoseGeorge
03-23-2005, 03:07 PM
Yes! For each team, add a sidebar entitled "WWBBD?" and describe what moves Billy Beane could make so that that particular team becomes yet another paper World Series Winner. :cool:

http://images.usatoday.com/money/_photos/2004/03/08/guinness-thumb.jpg
"Brilliant!"

:wink:

TornLabrum
03-23-2005, 07:23 PM

Shouldn't this whole post be in teal?