PDA

View Full Version : Steroid Hearing Backlash?

Lip Man 1
03-22-2005, 12:32 PM
Interesting story in the Daily Southtown today about the steroid hearings and there possible effect on kids. Here is the link:

http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/dssports/pro/223sd2.htm

Also an interesting blurb in Ron Rapoport's column in the Sun-Times today (Tuesday):

"Oh, and the New York Times says a number of those committee members lecturing the ballplayers last week approached them in a lounge near the hearing room and asked for autographs."

Sort of paints these 'tough talking' congressmen in a different light doesn't it?

Hypocrites and grandstanders immediately come to mind.

Lip

JB98
03-22-2005, 10:43 PM
Ninety percent of the comments I hear on the steroids issue sound like manufactured outrage: Let's act all pissed off because, damn it, this is supposed to piss us off.

Lip Man 1
03-22-2005, 11:28 PM
JB98:

Remember midterm elections for many of these folks in the house are in 2006...gotta make a big splash you see.

Lip

mcfish
03-23-2005, 10:01 AM
JB98:

Remember midterm elections for many of these folks in the house are in 2006...gotta make a big splash you see.

LipEvery seat in the House is up for election every two years.

Ol' No. 2
03-23-2005, 10:32 AM
Every seat in the House is up for election every two years.And it's all but impossible to get anything useful done in an election year or the year before.:(:

mcfish
03-23-2005, 11:53 AM
And it's all but impossible to get anything useful done in an election year or the year before.:(:Which, for those who didn't get the joke, is always. :cool: Sadly, though, that probably was closer to being reality than it was to being a joke. :?:

JB98
03-23-2005, 10:12 PM
JB98:

Lip

Believe me, I realize that. Many in Congress are too cowardly to act on more important issues, like social security, because bold action may cost them votes in the next election. It's far easier to drum up support (and votes) by speaking out only on those issues most people can agree on. Namely, in this case, that "steroids is bad."

Lip Man 1
03-24-2005, 01:58 PM
Mr. Mackey says: "Drugs are bad...OK? If you do drugs you're bad...so don't do drugs...OK?Lip

JB98
03-25-2005, 07:02 PM
Mr. Mackey says: "Drugs are bad...OK? If you do drugs you're bad...so don't do drugs...OK?Lip

LOL. I also thought of Mr. Mackey while I was listening to McGwire's testimony.
:D: