PDA

View Full Version : monkey see monkey do

hose
03-22-2005, 06:24 AM
http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/dssports/pro/221sd9.htm

Around the dial ...... Why are there about 20 White Sox preseason games on Comcast SportsNet and only a handful of Cubs games? The Sox asked for the exposure, and, with weekday afternoons to fill, the cable outlet jumped at the idea. It's a growing trend around baseball, and expect the Cubs to follow suit next year

ewokpelts
03-22-2005, 09:32 AM
http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/dssports/pro/221sd9.htm

Around the dial ...... Why are there about 20 White Sox preseason games on Comcast SportsNet and only a handful of Cubs games? The Sox asked for the exposure, and, with weekday afternoons to fill, the cable outlet jumped at the idea. It's a growing trend around baseball, and expect the Cubs to follow suit next year
Actually, It's not bad that the flubs follow suit. Since the sox co-own CSN CHICAGO, the ratings boost given by the flub games increases ad sales/rates, therefore giving the sox a bigger cut. As it is now, the increased ratings for the sox games are helping the cubs, and the bulls, and the hawks, since the usual 1-4pm time slots are filled with infomercials and bass fishing, the cornerstones of daytime tv ratings.
Gene

Tekijawa
03-22-2005, 09:40 AM
Don't the Cubs Co-own CSN also? I thought that was part of the agreement?

CubKilla
03-22-2005, 11:17 AM
Don't the Cubs Co-own CSN also? I thought that was part of the agreement?

I thought all the teams were part of it actually.

Lip Man 1
03-22-2005, 11:36 AM
The actual owners of Comcast Sports Chicago are of course Comcast itself, along with the Tribune Company (Cubs), Jerry Reinsdorf (Sox & Bulls) and Bill Wirtz (Hawks).

Lip

ewokpelts
03-22-2005, 12:05 PM
The actual owners of Comcast Sports Chicago are of course Comcast itself, along with the Tribune Company (Cubs), Jerry Reinsdorf (Sox & Bulls) and Bill Wirtz (Hawks).

Lip
Tribune dosent own a stake in csn. The Chicago Cubs, a division of the tribune, owns the stake. White Sox LLC and Bulls LLC own SEPARATE STAKES. Same as Blackhawks LLC. Jerry himself dosent have as much influence as you think, since each team he's chariman of has different ownership groups(wirtz is on bulls board, not sox).
Gene

Hangar18
03-22-2005, 12:31 PM
.......... Jerry himself dosent have as much influence
as you think...........

For now ..........

ewokpelts
03-22-2005, 02:48 PM
For now ..........

:reinsy
I'm not a dark lord of the sith trying to take over comcast sports net chicago..right darth?

http://www.boysstuff.co.uk/Images/prod_center/darth_vader_200_55903.jpg
no master.....

Gene

Lip Man 1
03-22-2005, 05:31 PM
Gene:

The only difference between the Tribune company owning a stake in Comcast Sports Chicago and the Cubs is one of semantics. They are all one and the same. You can bet the money is going to wind up in the Tribune Tower isn't it?

Lip

voodoochile
03-22-2005, 05:40 PM
Gene:

The only difference between the Tribune company owning a stake in Comcast Sports Chicago and the Cubs is one of semantics. They are all one and the same. You can bet the money is going to wind up in the Tribune Tower isn't it?

Lip

Actually, it's probably a legal issue. I am pretty sure the Trib is on the verge of having to divest some of it's media properties because of restrictions on how any people or what percentage of the people you are allowed to reach in each market. I am pretty sure they have issues in LA already (I seem to remember a thread on this topic).

hellenicsoxfan
03-22-2005, 05:56 PM
Actually, it's probably a legal issue. I am pretty sure the Trib is on the verge of having to divest some of it's media properties because of restrictions on how any people or what percentage of the people you are allowed to reach in each market. I am pretty sure they have issues in LA already (I seem to remember a thread on this topic).

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=494&ncid=762&e=8&u=/ap/20050322/ap_en_tv/tribune_tv_station

They also have to sell a TV station in Connecticut.

Lip Man 1
03-22-2005, 10:34 PM
Voodoo:

Like I said it's all semantics. The money eventually winds up in the same place. It's just a shell game...kinda like the Braves for many years selling their TV rights to WTBS :o: without taking bids from other Atlanta stations.

Then they were able to state with complete sincerity, that they weren't making money because well they just couldn't sell their rights for more money darn it! (nudge,nudge, wink, wink...say no more!) By the way that little piece of deception came out during the 1994 labor impasse when the Stanford economist chosen by both sides took a look at the owners books. No wonder the owners were in a rage afterwards when he said Selig and company were lying about 19 teams losing money.

LOL

Lip

ewokpelts
03-23-2005, 11:48 AM
Gene:

Lip
Lip,
Yes, the tribune has thier hand all over the cubs stake, but the logistics of the ownership of the staion is that the CUBS own that stake. Same goes for Jerry. He dosent officially control the lions share with his combined sports investments(although I heard the sox have a larger stake due to the number of game splayed, but that is merely rumor)
Gene