PDA

View Full Version : Opening Day gathering @ U of I

santo=dorf
03-21-2005, 07:53 PM
Just to inform the U of I posters and lurkers here, I plan on having a party in the bar at Geovanti's for opening day. I need at least 40 people which means at most it would cost each person $3 for appetizers and a keg. If you're interested just let me know because according to fusillirob1983 (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/member.php?u=2985) we have about 20 people interested. I figured we would go with Miller Lite (let me know if you prefer otherwise.) :gulp:

mike squires
03-21-2005, 08:50 PM
Geovanti's? You'll have to forgive me for that I'm married and have a 15 month old now. :) but where the hell is it? I would be intereste. I probably would have to bring Brooklynne along and woudln't be able to stay for the entire game. I don't want Brooklynne to be surounded by 40 drunken Sox fans especially if they lose.:D: :(: :angry: Maybe I could find a baby sitter. Anyhow, count me in.

santo=dorf
03-21-2005, 09:07 PM
4th and Green st.

FightingBillini
03-21-2005, 09:22 PM
I sent a message to Rob on facebook, and I will be there. I would prefer that we get anything other than Swiller Lite, including Old Style. However, if it ends up being Miller, I can live with it.

BRDSR
03-22-2005, 01:53 AM
Living only 4 blocks away, I would totally be there except that...I'll be at the Opening Day gathering at U.S. Cellular Field. The battle between classes and Opening Day turned out to be a lopsided victory for Opening Day. Sounds like fun though.

rmusacch
03-22-2005, 11:39 AM
4th and Green st.

4th and Green? What used to be there? Is that were BW3 was? Geovanti's wasn't there when I was at U of I.

anewman35
03-22-2005, 12:04 PM
4th and Green? What used to be there? Is that were BW3 was? Geovanti's wasn't there when I was at U of I.

BW3 was at 6th and Green, next to Murphy's (which now has the entire space). I haven't been down to Champaign in a few years, but there are/were a few things at 4th and Green, none of which (to my knowledge) are called Geovanti's. One corner was a Colonial Pantry, one was a Fazoli's (which then closed and became some other resturaunt), one was the former location of Bagelman's (empty when I left), and the other was a little mini-mall thing with a Subway, another resteraunt that was a ton of places (but I believe was Myknos when I left) and, IIRC, a bar in the basement, which had been closed for a while when I left, but that's probably the location. Of course, I should just let somebody actually in C-U answer.

Wow, this was a pointless post. But, I guess I just miss Champaign more than I realize...

HAR-OLD
03-22-2005, 12:22 PM
geovanti's is where bagelman's used to be, SE corner of 4th and green,
it was just a fast food/late night type restaurant, but somehow fast eddie must have dealt for a partial liquor license, and now there is a bar in the basement

santo=dorf
03-22-2005, 12:28 PM
BW3 was at 6th and Green, next to Murphy's (which now has the entire space). I haven't been down to Champaign in a few years, but there are/were a few things at 4th and Green, none of which (to my knowledge) are called Geovanti's. One corner was a Colonial Pantry, one was a Fazoli's (which then closed and became some other resturaunt), one was the former location of Bagelman's (empty when I left), and the other was a little mini-mall thing with a Subway, another resteraunt that was a ton of places (but I believe was Myknos when I left) and, IIRC, a bar in the basement, which had been closed for a while when I left, but that's probably the location. Of course, I should just let somebody actually in C-U answer.

Wow, this was a pointless post. But, I guess I just miss Champaign more than I realize...

Geovanti's took over the old bagel store, Fazoli's is now a Hawaiian Barbecue, Colonial pantry is still there, and on the other corner a hooka bar has been built in the basement. :smokin:

rmusacch
03-22-2005, 12:30 PM

Thanks. I could not think of what was at 4th. Was White Hen Pantry at 6th and Green? I had heard that Murphy's took over the entire space and it is not the same as it was. Murphy's was a great little place, almost a whole in the wall, to just get ripped and play darts. The bar in the basement when I first got to school in Fall 1993 was O'Malley's. They played American Pie at Midnight. They changed name and ownership after my freshman year and the American Pie tradition moved to Joe's. Drinking beer with my f'ed up friends. Good times. I have not been back to Champaign since Spring 1998 when my brother graduated. I need to get back. They are going to start next month flying non-stop from Dallas to Champaign.

BRDSR
03-22-2005, 12:30 PM
Geovanti's took over the old bagel store, Fazoli's is now a Hawaiian Barbecue, Colonial pantry is still there, and on the other corner a hooka bar has been built in the basement. :smokin:

It's gross, don't go there.(the hooka bar, the rest of the establishments are fine to my knowledge.)

Chez
03-22-2005, 12:40 PM
I'm all for a gathering of the faithful for an Opening Day Party but I'm hoping everyone at U. of I. will be too preoccupied that day to do anything but focus on that night's NCAA Men's Basketball Championship Game. Go Illini.

BRDSR
03-22-2005, 12:42 PM
I'm all for a gathering of the faithful for an Opening Day Party but I'm hoping everyone at U. of I. will be too preoccupied that day to do anything but focus on that night's NCAA Men's Basketball Championship Game. Go Illini.

My biggest nightmare is a bad traffic jam getting home from Sox Park and missing the first half of the Illini's national championship game. My other biggest nightmare is a White Sox loss and an Illini loss.

mike squires
03-22-2005, 02:58 PM

Green street has TOTALY changed since then. They redid everything from the buildings to the street signs. I haven't visited the buildngs and businesses but it really looks nice compared to what it was. Record Service closed not too long ago. Anyone remember Mabels? Bar with bands. I first saw Wilco there, Ass Ponies, Sun Volt, Great White...I once ran down those steep stairs before throwing up all over the place. I swung open the doors and the next thing I remember is hearing a girl say, "OOOOh, it's hanging from is nose..." Yes, good times...I think we were watching Throwing Muses that night...

Chez
03-22-2005, 03:12 PM
Green street has TOTALY changed since then. They redid everything from the buildings to the street signs. I haven't visited the buildngs and businesses but it really looks nice compared to what it was. Record Service closed not too long ago. Anyone remember Mabels? Bar with bands. I first saw Wilco there, Ass Ponies, Sun Volt, Great White...I once ran down those steep stairs before throwing up all over the place. I swung open the doors and the next thing I remember is hearing a girl say, "OOOOh, it's hanging from is nose..." Yes, good times...I think we were watching Throwing Muses that night...

I think I sustained permanent hearing loss at a Simon Townshend (Pete's younger brother) concert at Mabels in 1983. Good times.

peeonwrigley
03-22-2005, 04:57 PM

They redid Green St after my freshman year (summer of 02 was when they did the brunt of the work). It looks a lot nicer than it did, and there's pretty much no empty store fronts now, and it looks much cleaner (save for Thurs-Sat nights).

Another thing that happened after my freshman year was the closing of R&R's, which sucked because I loved that dive. Anyone remember sharkbowls and the original mug club? They've been building a bar there ever since called FireHaus which to my knowledge was supposed to have opened about 30 times since then. Who knows.

Campus has really changed a lot in the 4 years I've been at school, and if the athletic facilities get updated like the rumors suggest they will, things will continue to change a ton over the next 10 years.

As for the gathering @ Geo's... I hope to be in St Louis for another big game that night.

mike squires
03-27-2005, 11:36 PM
Hey Dorf, do you have an update on the get together in Champaign? I was an idiot and totally forgot it was opening day when I picked up some hours at work. Actually I had to so I could guaruntee I have the days off I have off for Florida. I get off at 2 though so I will see most of it. The last thing I want to see is you with a keg of beer and 4 people to drink it. I'll be the good looking guy in the Sox gear:D: ...:cool:

santo=dorf
03-31-2005, 07:47 PM
It's official.

We can start at 1 PM, appetizers at 1:30 PM, and then hopefully a White Sox winner from 2-5 while sipping on some MGD (if not it will be Miller Lite, sorry Bill.) :gulp:

We have about 40 people right now, but anyone in the area is welcome to come with any other Sox fans. The bar will be open to the public, but I expect it to be 99% Sox fans. :cool:

mike squires
03-31-2005, 10:17 PM
It's official.

We can start at 1 PM, appetizers at 1:30 PM, and then hopefully a White Sox winner from 2-5 while sipping on some MGD (if not it will be Miller Lite, sorry Bill.) :gulp:

We have about 40 people right now, but anyone in the area is welcome to come with any other Sox fans. The bar will be open to the public, but I expect it to be 99% Sox fans. :cool:

Awesome~I plan on being there. My team meeting gets out at 2:00. I should be arriving around 2:30. I let another Sox fan know of the gathering and he seemed interested. Is there a big screen TV at this place? Look forward to meeting everyone.

santo=dorf
03-31-2005, 11:58 PM
Awesome~I plan on being there. My team meeting gets out at 2:00. I should be arriving around 2:30. I let another Sox fan know of the gathering and he seemed interested. Is there a big screen TV at this place? Look forward to meeting everyone.
No, it's a new bar with about 5 or 6 19" TV's scattered around the place. The food is really good, and the atmosphere is clean.

Due to a mandatory lab, I will only be there until 2:50. :mad: :(:

FightingBillini
04-04-2005, 03:16 AM
Unfortunately, I wont be able to make it. I wasn't able to unload my tickets to the game, so I have to go. On the plus side, I am excited for my first opening day. I just hope I make it back in enough time to watch the game.

jenmcm76
04-04-2005, 11:01 AM
My biggest nightmare is a bad traffic jam getting home from Sox Park and missing the first half of the Illini's national championship game. My other biggest nightmare is a White Sox loss and an Illini loss.

Ditto! To complicate matters, I've got to stop and pick up my dog on the way back to Urbana, which is going to add AT LEAST 45 minutes to the trip... Oh well, least Buehrle's pitching, so maybe we'll get out of the Sox game a little quicker than we otherwise would. And I'm Tivo-ing the Illini, so I can just start the game from the beginning when I get home anyway and spped through halftime and commercials until I catch up to real time. :tongue:

mike squires
04-04-2005, 05:34 PM
Just got back from the U of I Sox get together. I only talked to one other poster (Santo) not sure if there were any other posters there. But I liked the vibe and the energy the Sox fans gave. Maybe we can do it again in October. Yeah, It's official...I'm old. I'll bet you anything I was the only one in there married with a child. Had fun anyway. It was nice to get out of the house and watch a game with a bunch of crazy kids.

mike squires
04-05-2005, 11:07 AM
Did you say I looked older than my profile read? If so, no offense taken...it's funny, when I tell everyone I'm 31 they're like no way...you look 25 or so...I must finally be showing my age. Have fun while you can man. 30 will be here before you know it!!!

santo=dorf
04-05-2005, 12:30 PM
No I said you don't look as old as your profile suggested, and you'd probably get carded. :cool:

mike squires
04-05-2005, 01:37 PM
It was funny~I noticed the bartender had an orange Illini shirt on but had a white sweat band with a blue MIchael Jordon insignia on it.

I was lucky I stopped drinking when I did. I'm kind of a health nut so I don't drink a lot of beer (although I drink a few on occasion.) I drank 1/2 of a pitcher and was definatly feeling buzzed. I had to stop at the Walgreens and browse the magazine section for a bit before driving home. If anybody but Bhuerlie was pitching I could have drank a few more...