PDA

View Full Version : Dave Wills Update...

whitesoxwilkes
03-21-2005, 06:57 PM
Got the chance to hook up with Willsy before the Phillies/Rays tilt in St. Pete this past weekend. Although it was a little strange to see him in Devil Ray green instead of silver and black, it was great to see him. He's adjusting to Florida quite well and is sporting a healthy tan. He thinks he's found a house north of Tampa and has his fingers crossed that the sale goes through.

Seems a little bit lonely without his family down there, but they're going to be down there a lot in the coming weeks as school winds down.

Says he loves the new job and he's genuinely excited to be working with a young team like the Rays. He pointed out guys like Dewayne Brazelton and B.J. Upton as youngsters who could surprise a LOT of people.

Dave...if you're reading this, great to see you and we'll catch you in July.

Wsoxmike59
03-22-2005, 07:55 AM
Thanks for the update WSWilkes.

I think the D'Rays have some fine young talent over there, (Huff, Cruz, Crawford) but there's one player in particular I love to watch play, that's Rocco Baldelli. I hope the kid overcomes his injuries and is back in the line up before too long.

Good luck to Dave Wills, and I think he's going to do quite well in Tampa and the D'Ray fans are going to love his enthusiasm for the game. He'll make listening to the ballgames a very enjoyable treat each and every day.

Wsoxmike59

Brian26
03-22-2005, 10:42 AM
They should be fun to watch, but their starting pitching really needs a lot of help.

Hangar18
03-22-2005, 10:51 AM
Good report Wilksie. When I cant rely on the Chicago Media,
I rely on WSI for my info .........

duke of dorwood
03-22-2005, 12:35 PM
I miss Willssy already-gonna be tough on him so far from a "Urinal"

fledgedrallycap
03-22-2005, 12:37 PM
BTW, who will be taking Willsy's position at 1000?

SoxxoS
03-22-2005, 02:21 PM
All I know is Scott Kazmir is a badass.

Hey Omar, that trade isn't going to bite you in the ass or anything...I heard they are allowing 8 balls before a walk this season, so Zambrano should be a Cy Young canidate.

tlebar318
03-22-2005, 03:15 PM
Anybody going to Tampa to see the Sox on the 9th, 10th, and 11th of May? I am there for sure--got my tickets already...

MHOUSE
03-23-2005, 04:07 AM
It's going to be weird listening for a "D-Rays Winner" as opposed to the much catchier and alliterative "White Sox Winner".

No more White Sox-Cubs either.

"The battle for Florida rages on during interleague play. Devil Rays-Marlins.....NEEEEEEEEEEEXT!"

WhiteSoxFan84
03-23-2005, 12:33 PM
I still don't believe Dave left. This is the guy who supposedly was such a Sox fan that when the Cubs swept the Sox last year at Wrigley, he would not talk to ANYBODY because he was so upset.

Then he leaves and to leave for the Devil Rays? I don't know all the details so I won't judge him, but whatever his reasons were, it's going to be hard for me to understand.

Either way, wish you the best of luck Dave.

whitesoxwilkes
03-23-2005, 12:46 PM
I still don't believe Dave left. This is the guy who supposedly was such a Sox fan that when the Cubs swept the Sox last year at Wrigley, he would not talk to ANYBODY because he was so upset.

Then he leaves and to leave for the Devil Rays? I don't know all the details so I won't judge him, but whatever his reasons were, it's going to be hard for me to understand.

Let's see...work for a radio station doing pre and postgames, or work for a team doing play-by-play traveling all around the country, a job that most guys would kill to have?

Pretty simple choice.

:bandance:

PaleHoseGeorge
03-23-2005, 12:49 PM

Let me guess. You don't have a wife or family to support or a mortgage to pay, right?

It's very simple. Dave Wills left to better support his family. He's making more money than he did with ESPN. This is no reflection on his rooting interest. He's still a Sox Fan.

What part of this don't you understand?

LongLiveFisk
03-23-2005, 12:49 PM
Let's see...work for a radio station doing pre and postgames, or work for a team doing play-by-play traveling all around the country, a job that most guys would kill to have?

Pretty simple choice.

And obviously a hell of a lot more money. At least enough more to result in his final decision.

WhiteSoxFan84
03-23-2005, 01:03 PM

It's very simple. Dave Wills left to better support his family. He's making more money than he did with ESPN. This is no reflection on his rooting interest. He's still a Sox Fan.

I honestly had no idea that he went to be a PBP guy. I thought he was going to get the same job. To answer your question Wilkes, would I rather travel around the country or not, to be honest, I'd rather not. I'd want to be with my family and friends as much as possible and travel when I have the time to. Now if the difference in pay is something like $50,000 annually for a pre and post guy and $120,000 annually for a PBP guy, I'd obviously take the PBP position.

Thanks for the info fellas.

TornLabrum
03-23-2005, 08:30 PM
I honestly had no idea that he went to be a PBP guy. I thought he was going to get the same job. To answer your question Wilkes, would I rather travel around the country or not, to be honest, I'd rather not. I'd want to be with my family and friends as much as possible and travel when I have the time to. Now if the difference in pay is something like $50,000 annually for a pre and post guy and $120,000 annually for a PBP guy, I'd obviously take the PBP position.

Thanks for the info fellas.

Let's add one more thing to what Wilkes and PHG said: Dave's dream ever since he got into broadcasting was to do PBP for a major league team. He's now living his dream.

To make the dream complete, his next job would be doing the same thing for the Sox.

rmusacch
03-23-2005, 09:55 PM

Pretty simple choice.

Is he doing radio play by play or TV?

TornLabrum
03-23-2005, 11:36 PM
Is he doing radio play by play or TV?\

Radio PBP.

WhiteSoxFan84
03-24-2005, 12:16 AM
To make the dream complete, his next job would be doing the same thing for the Sox.

That's a tough one... Rooney or Willsy? I'd probably stick with Rooney. There's a reason ESPN radio uses him as one of their playoff PBP guys. The man is one of the best at what he does.

FightingBillini
03-24-2005, 12:30 AM
All I know is Scott Kazmir is a badass.

Hey Omar, that trade isn't going to bite you in the ass or anything...I heard they are allowing 8 balls before a walk this season, so Zambrano should be a Cy Young canidate.

That trade was made before Omar Minaya took over as GM. He got the job at the end of September, just about the time they announced the move of the Expos to Washington. However, that was a HORRIBLE trade, as was the one for Kris Benson.

Iguchi_4_MVP
03-24-2005, 06:38 PM
I'm glad Wills is gone.
Hopefully 1000 won't fill his seat with another homer blow-hard.
I always turned the station on right at first pitch and turned it back off right after the last out.
Now maybe I'll keep it locked.

nothing personal - i don't really KNOW the guy - but he was a professional disaster in that role.

Finally...NEEXXXXXTTTTT is done! and that stupid explosion afterwards.

As for the play by play...no more "The Flames are dancin! The Flames are dancin' cuts either. That was brutal.

There's a reason he's a good fit in Tampa.

Realist
03-24-2005, 10:59 PM
I'm glad Wills is gone.
Hopefully 1000 won't fill his seat with another homer blow-hard.
I always turned the station on right at first pitch and turned it back off right after the last out.
Now maybe I'll keep it locked.

nothing personal - i don't really KNOW the guy - but he was a professional disaster in that role.

Finally...NEEXXXXXTTTTT is done! and that stupid explosion afterwards.

As for the play by play...no more "The Flames are dancin! The Flames are dancin' cuts either. That was brutal.

There's a reason he's a good fit in Tampa.

Welcome aboard! :redneck