PDA

View Full Version : Speculation: Borchard to Nationals?

stl_sox_fan
03-21-2005, 05:19 PM
Has anyone else heard anything about this? Apparently Washington is interested in his potential. Maybe a nice pithcer like Armas in return? Or is that too much to ask for?

JUribe1989
03-21-2005, 05:21 PM
I wonder if they would be trading for a pitcher after the Buehrle injury. I don't see the Nationals wanting to trade any of their starters. I do know that they want a power hitting outfielder though.

stl_sox_fan
03-21-2005, 05:25 PM
Let's just hope if Joltin' Joe does depart town he doesn't become the next Mike Cameron.

Randar68
03-21-2005, 05:28 PM
Let's just hope if Joltin' Joe does depart town he doesn't become the next Mike Cameron.

If we can get any MLB-ready player for Joe at this point, with the plethora of OF depth we have, we really should just do it... Utility IF'er, legit releiver, #3 or #4 starter... whatever you can get...

With Anderson, Rowand, Carl, Dye, Timo, Pods, Sweeney, etc etc... no need to keep him... He's opened a few eyes this spring, do it while you can...

DaleJRFan
03-21-2005, 05:30 PM
How about Loaiza? Armas would be nice, but isn't he coming off of some major injury/surgery???

jabrch
03-21-2005, 05:30 PM
Armas Jr? not a bad fetch. I'd guess that would mean that McCarthy wouldn't be coming up?

stl_sox_fan
03-21-2005, 05:32 PM
I forgot Esteban was picked up by them. I remember him saying he wouldn't mind coming back when the sox shipped him to the bronx last year.

jabrch
03-21-2005, 05:35 PM
I forgot Esteban was picked up by them. I remember him saying he wouldn't mind coming back when the sox shipped him to the bronx last year.

In the same breath as he bitched about the run support he got here.

No thanks...

Mohoney
03-21-2005, 05:36 PM
Just bring McCarthy up! PLEASE bring McCarthy up!

DaleJRFan
03-21-2005, 05:36 PM
I'd rather take my chances with a "futurestud" with no major league experience than suffer through 4-inning, 7-run Loaiza outings again.

I can't see the Sox making a move so soon. McBrandon is a super planB to have. There is no starting pitcher available via trade for what we could (or are willing to) give up for... Let's see how the injury thinger pans out (could be a scare) before we assume KW is trading LTP away for 5 or 6 starts. Besides, what would the Sox do with this newly aquired starting pitcher after Burly comes back?

But, if the Nationals are looking for a power hitting outfielder, why not send em Carl Everett? I hear that kid they have John Rouch has great stuff...

stl_sox_fan
03-21-2005, 05:38 PM
In the same breath as he bitched about the run support he got here.

No thanks...

Holy Frijoles. What if possible trade brings Big Jon Rauch back to the South Side?

Randar68
03-21-2005, 05:40 PM
Besides, what would the Sox do with this newly aquired starting pitcher after Burly comes back?

Move El Duque to Set-up man?

stl_sox_fan
03-21-2005, 05:42 PM
Move El Duque to Set-up man?

After the letdown the pitching staff was last year, I would gladly have them "hurler-heavy"(patent pending) going into this season.

chisox06
03-21-2005, 05:44 PM
Holy Frijoles. What if possible trade brings Big Jon Rauch back to the South Side?

Considering the way he left this organization, I doubt it. I would expect some kind of utlity IF in return if a trade went down. Besides with Buehrle's injury looks like we will see B-Mac after all, I would like to see Mcarthy pitch in the 5th spot, rather than trading Joe for a replacement.

soxtalker
03-21-2005, 05:59 PM
I don't see the urgency in trading Borchard for ML pitching. If they don't see him fitting into their future -- and that could be as much due to the emergence of other outfielders as to his struggles -- I could see them moving him for prospects. I don't mean this in the "bag of balls" sense. Rather, I'd ask the question what else do the Sox need in their system -- perhaps at the lower levels.

Banix12
03-21-2005, 06:26 PM
Borchard has had a nice spring, I'd like to see if he can carry this spring over into a decent season, showing some improvement down at AAA or maybe later as a backup OF in the majors. Buerhle is only going to be gone for at the most the first month, so I don't really see the urgency to trade for pitching because now we get to see if McCarthy can do it during the start of the season.

If he does go to Washington there are a few guys on the team I like. Obviously trading for L. Hernandez, Wilkerson, J. Guillen or Chad Cordero is out of the question. There have been rumors that they are willing to part with Termel Sledge, though we don't really have a use for him with our overcrowded OF.

I really like their Utility Infielder, Jamey Carroll, he's a solid defensive backup/slap hitter with good speed, though not a base stealer. He also has good strike zone judgement. He's 31 though and we'd probably need to get more in return than just him. Maybe one of their backup catchers in the system. They have a couple of defensive vets as backups like Gary Bennett and Keith Osik, as well as a very promising starter in Brian Schneider, though I doubt they would part with him.

shoota
03-21-2005, 06:36 PM
I love rumors with no sources/links.

A. Cavatica
03-21-2005, 07:52 PM
It's funny, I remember thinking this morning that Loaiza would make a great April/May replacement for Buehrle...he's always started the season like a house afire. But we'd have to give up a lot more than Borchard. Maybe we can trade Borchard and a PTBNL, and have Loaiza be the PTNBL once Buehrle's healthy. (Is there a "half teal" color for half serious comments?)

stl_sox_fan
03-21-2005, 08:06 PM

A rumor is just a premature fact don't ya know?

Baby Fisk
03-21-2005, 09:04 PM
Yep. Until there's some evidence, this might as well come from ChiSoxTony. Neeeext!

PAPChiSox729
03-21-2005, 09:08 PM
Borchard's stock is very high. At the end of last season may fans, including myself, were ready to trade him for a bag of balls. Ozuna has had a very, very good spring. I don't know whether Jamey Carroll is the best we can get as an utility infielder for Borchard. Rumors are rumors so we will just see how things pan out.

Daver
03-21-2005, 09:10 PM
Speculation does not belong in the Clubhouse.

stl_sox_fan
03-21-2005, 09:24 PM
Speculation does not belong in the Clubhouse.

Wow, moved my thread out of the clubhouse?

Sox Clubhouse (forumdisplay.php?f=5) (40 Viewing)
The home of the largest and fastest growing community of Sox Fans on the internet. 100 percent unofficial because that's the way we like it!

As Rock says....Keepin' it real...

Daver
03-21-2005, 09:29 PM
Wow, moved my thread out of the clubhouse?

Sox Clubhouse (http://forumdisplay.php?f=5) (40 Viewing)
The home of the largest and fastest growing community of Sox Fans on the internet. 100 percent unofficial because that's the way we like it!

As Rock says....Keepin' it real...

The Clubhouse is for Sox news, not pure speculation, if you have nothing to back your hypothesis with, it belongs elsewhere.

The next step is I move it to the Roadhouse, if you prefer it be there.

stl_sox_fan
03-21-2005, 09:36 PM
The Clubhouse is for Sox news, not pure speculation, if you have nothing to back your hypothesis with, it belongs elsewhere.

The next step is I move it to the Roadhouse, if you prefer it be there.

Thanks for the clarification.
Boy are you gonna get an I told you so if it turns out to be true. :smile:

mdep524
03-22-2005, 12:55 AM
Since we're just throwing names out there, I'll play: Zach Day.

I always liked Day, and he was having a very good season last year before he got (seriously) hurt. His first spring results this year have been less than impressive, so his stock might be low enough to make him available in a Borchard-like deal. The guy has potential to be a very solid SP.

MisterB
03-22-2005, 03:23 AM
Since we're just throwing names out there, I'll play: Zach Day.

I always liked Day, and he was having a very good season last year before he got (seriously) hurt. His first spring results this year have been less than impressive, so his stock might be low enough to make him available in a Borchard-like deal. The guy has potential to be a very solid SP.

The Nats were looking to send Day to the Reds for Wily Mo Pena, but it fell through the other day. That might prompt some interest in Borchard. (Although it's a little strange, because the deal fell through when the Nats' scout thought Pena was backsliding to his mendoza-line hitting habits of '02-'03. Borchard hasn't bested that kind of performance in the majors yet and is 3 years older than Pena.)

wdelaney72
03-22-2005, 08:45 AM
Mike Cameron's numbers since leaving the Sox
HR RBI BA OBP SLG SO
2000 SEA (http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/SEA/2000.shtml) 19 78 .267 .365 .438 133
2001 SEA (http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/SEA/2001.shtml) 25 110 .267 .353 .480 155
2002 SEA (http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/SEA/2002.shtml) 25 80 .239 .340 .442 176
2003 SEA (http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/SEA/2003.shtml) 18 76 .253 .344 .431 137
2004 NYM (http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/NYM/2004.shtml) 30 76 .231 .319 .479 143

First of all, Borchard does not even come close to having the speed and glove of Cameron. Secondly, look at Cameron's BA and SO, ouch!!! If we got a quality player in return, I could live with Borchard putting up these humbers, although I highly doubt Borchard's BA and OBP will ever see these numbers.

mdep524
03-22-2005, 11:10 AM
The Nats were looking to send Day to the Reds for Wily Mo Pena, but it fell through the other day. That might prompt some interest in Borchard. (Although it's a little strange, because the deal fell through when the Nats' scout thought Pena was backsliding to his mendoza-line hitting habits of '02-'03. Borchard hasn't bested that kind of performance in the majors yet and is 3 years older than Pena.) Really?? Very interesting.... something along the lines of Borchard-for-Day would be a sweet deal for the Sox.

ma_deuce
03-22-2005, 11:20 AM
UNWANTED

:eloaiza:
Esteban Louiza

For lackluster pitching
and whining about run support.

If you see Estaban Louiza being traded for Joe Borchard
or any other player to be named later, please contact
real baseball fans at www.whitesoxinteractive.com (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/).

duke of dorwood
03-22-2005, 11:32 AM
Just keep him-Dye is injury prone, Everett is old, Timo is a reserve at best . Our outfield "depth" is a fantasy.

Flight #24
03-22-2005, 12:34 PM
This pushes things into 100% What's the Score territory (as if we're not there already), but 1 team that mighttake a good look at JoeB is Tampa. just had Bautista retire, he was slated to be their RF, an they've already got Baldelli down. Their younger OFs are more speedy than powerful, so Joe could be a good it if they believe that he can hit .250-.270.

They also have some IF depth, not sure about their SP depth.

doublem23
03-22-2005, 06:08 PM
Maybe we can get Jon Rauch back. :tongue:

MUsoxfan
03-22-2005, 06:23 PM
Maybe sometime this soon, this thread will break the record for being moved to the most forums

mdep524
03-23-2005, 01:39 AM
Maybe sometime this soon, this thread will break the record for being moved to the most forums OK, quick, someone post something about gambling web sites, politics and Moronotti and we can get this into the Roadhouse.

Something along the lines of "Moronotti wrote in his latest column that there's this one particular web site that is taking bets on whether a Borchard trade happens before Bush pulls out of Iraq."

That ought to do it. :tongue: :redneck

jordan23ventura
03-23-2005, 06:51 AM
I'm probably going to be in the minority on this one, but I think we can all probably agree that even though Borchard still has a ton of potential and has had a good spring, we still aren't going to get a lot for this guy. The funny thing is his name always comes up as someone KW should trade, but we never know what for! Usually, the general consensus seems to be anything at all. Since we have the likely scenario of Pablo Ozuna beating out Willie Harris as a UT man, and we have a young Brandon McCarthy ready to step in whenever necessary, as well as some tough decisions to make on the bullpen side, I'd say we are in pretty good shape to start the season.

You should never make a trade just for the sake of making one. I say we send Borch down to the minors, hope he continues his hot streak, and then assess our needs around the All Star break. If he hasn't performed and still isn't worth much it's not like we ruined the chance to trade him for an impact player. If he performs well, then maybe we'll be on to something. Just my thoughts.