PDA

View Full Version : The Sky (or Concrete) Isn't Falling!

TornLabrum
03-21-2005, 02:04 PM
On the way to The Cell this morning I heard an item on one of the radio stations that stated that whoever the people are who are inspecting The Cell contradicted stories put out by the Daily Southtown and Skippy Jacobson that concrete was falling from the facade at The Cell.

It turns out that the concrete was pried loose to indicate where repairs needed to be done. Nothing like getting your facts straight before going ahead with a story....

MUsoxfan
03-21-2005, 02:22 PM
To all of our amazement, WGN ran a story on it in their 2nd segment today at noon.

DumpJerry
03-21-2005, 02:31 PM
I heard it on WCKG during a break from Howard Stern. It started to ruin my day but then I was told about Burley-mon's left foot.......:whiner:

Wsoxmike59
03-22-2005, 09:32 PM
http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/dsnews/227nd1.htm

The Daily Southtown had an article in today's paper clearing up the false reports of "falling concrete" at the Cell. Also in the Op/Ed pages a letter from the CEO of the IL Sports Facilities Authority Perri L. Irmer

The ISFA wishes to correct the inaccuracies and mischaracterizations contained in the Daily Southtown article (March 19) regarding U.S. Cellular Field.

Concrete is not falling at U.S. Cellular Field. To imply otherwise is irresponsible and a disservice to the people who visit the ballpark.

Every year, we inspect and maintain the park to make sure it is safe. Any loose concrete is removed to ensure it poses no hazard. Every four years, we perform a critical facade examination of exterior walls for cracks and loose concrete, and a report is submitted to the Chicago Department of Buildings. Skilled tradespeople are trained to identify and report any potential problems before every home game.

The ISFA takes very seriously the issue of public safety. We are pleased that the Department of Buildings responded quickly to the Southtown's inaccurate claims and reconfirmed that THERE ARE NO STRUCTURAL FAILURES, DANGERS OR HAZARDS at U.S. Cellular Field.

Perri L. Irmer
Chief Executive Officer
Illinois Sports Facilities Authority

Editors Note: A headline on Saturday's story incorrectly stated chunks of concrete have "fallen" from the stadium. As the story correctly reported, crumbling pieces of pre-set concrete have been pried away by engineers working for the Sports Facilities Authority.

Brian26
03-22-2005, 09:38 PM
Anxiously awaiting Skippy's retraction on his 4:30 am Sunday morning broadcast....

:whistle:

DrCrawdad
03-22-2005, 10:11 PM
Mike Murphy reported this false story with glee yesterday. I didn't listen to his show tonight to see if he issued a retraction.

Shoeless Joe
03-23-2005, 12:20 AM
Mike Murphy reported this false story with glee yesterday. I didn't listen to his show tonight to see if he issued a retraction.

He read the article posted above in a solemn matter. I guess he realized that Wrigley is once again the only reigning dilapidated stadium in this town, sort of like their pitching staff...

Clembasbal
03-23-2005, 08:23 AM
The meida should be lamblasted just like Dan Rather was. Reporting a sotry before the facts were out is just unethical.

MikeKreevich
03-23-2005, 08:23 PM
What makes it worse. My wife bet me that concrete was falling off US Cellular and the bet was $50.. I payed her before I read this thread. She won't give the money back.

TornLabrum
03-23-2005, 08:54 PM
What makes it worse. My wife bet me that concrete was falling off US Cellular and the bet was $50.. I payed her before I read this thread. She won't give the money back.

And the moral of the story is never pay off your bets before checking with WSI.

voodoochile
03-23-2005, 09:17 PM

So you are actually out $100...

Make her buy you a nice dinner at least. :D: