PDA

View Full Version : The Heartland Institute on the Cell and ISFA

Dadawg_77
03-21-2005, 02:24 PM
Heartland is a libertarian think tank based in Chicago. They are anti big government so public funding for sports facilities would be on their hit list.

http://www.heartland.org/Article.cfm?artId=16343

$20 Per Ticket Subsidy In “What Do We Do With the Hotel Tax Now that We Don’t Need Any More Stadiums?” a report issued September 30, 2003 by MCIC, a not-for-profit research and information organization for the Chicago metropolitan region, the organization says under current projections, by the time the White Sox lease expires in 2011:

The ISFA will have spent well over $200 million of public money to build the new stadium, the scoreboard, and other capital improvements on the site;

The White Sox will not have paid a dime more in rent;

U.S. Cellular Field will have attracted somewhere between a quarter million and a half million fewer spectators per year than ballparks with a similar capacity and teams with a similar won/loss record;

Every person buying a ticket to attend a White Sox game from now on will have been subsidized by public money at the rate of about $20.20 per ticket.”

na_na_na_na
03-21-2005, 03:17 PM
Awesome. I love getting cheaper tickets.

Ol' No. 2
03-21-2005, 06:02 PM
Heartland is a libertarian think tank based in Chicago. They are anti big government so public funding for sports facilities would be on their hit list.

[b]
[/list]If I buy a ticket for less than $20, can I get the difference back in cash?

doogiec
03-21-2005, 07:33 PM

[b]
[/list]

Hope they did a better job checking their financial data than they did checking the White Sox lease terms. The current lease expires in 2025, not 2011. And I'm not sure what the $75 million in improvements that were paid for with public money were. Most of the improvements were paid for with private money from the naming rights deal. I can't imagine reconfiguring the bullpens and adding a couple of rows of seats cost $75 million. And if the team paid rent in 9 of 14 seasons so far, how do you project never paying rent again? Until 2025?

Although I'm not in favor of spending public money on such projects myself, it appears this story was written to substantiate a hoped for conclusion, facts be damned.

ewokpelts
03-22-2005, 10:20 AM
Hope they did a better job checking their financial data than they did checking the White Sox lease terms. The current lease expires in 2025, not 2011. And I'm not sure what the $75 million in improvements that were paid for with public money were. Most of the improvements were paid for with private money from the naming rights deal. I can't imagine reconfiguring the bullpens and adding a couple of rows of seats cost $75 million. And if the team paid rent in 9 of 14 seasons so far, how do you project never paying rent again? Until 2025?

Although I'm not in favor of spending public money on such projects myself, it appears this story was written to substantiate a hoped for conclusion, facts be damned.
the state issued bonds to cover 03-0? rennovations. the sox are repaying the new bonds with us cellular money. That's why the lease was extended, so that the new bonds could be issued.
Gene

Dadawg_77
03-22-2005, 10:26 AM
If I buy a ticket for less than $20, can I get the difference back in cash?

Well it actually means you should have paid $20 more a ticket if there wasn't a public subsidy.

Irishsox1
03-22-2005, 10:44 AM
How about these experts fix the whole "what size is that drink" thing. I order a medium at a taco stand and its looks like a 5 oz doctors piss cup, I order a medium at Hardees and its 60 oz tub! Can someone regulate the size of a cup!!