PDA

View Full Version : Rob Neyer on Minne Minoso HOF Chances

Dadawg_77
03-21-2005, 12:53 PM
Maybe Joe Sheehan knew about Minoso's admission when he wrote me. Either way, Joe's right; giving Minoso three good seasons would be generous. Not exceptionally generous, mind you; in 1947, when Minoso was only 21, he played in the East-West Game (the Negro Leagues' all-star game). But Minoso first played regularly in the majors when he was 25, and there's simply no reason to think he'd have put together more than three more good seasons in the majors even if his skin were the same color as mine. And three more good seasons just doesn't get him squarely into the Hall of Fame. Rather, it gets him into a group of players the likes of Lou Brock, Goose Goslin, Sherry Magee, Jimmy Sheckard, and Jose Cruz. Some Hall of Famers, some not.

I still think Minoso deserves the benefit of the doubt, and that he has a pretty good case. But now, knowing what we know, it's a case about which reasonable men might disagree. And once again, Ron Santo looks like the only sure thing on the Veterans Committee ballot

It is a insider article.
http://proxy.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=neyer_rob&id=2014797

TornLabrum
03-21-2005, 02:41 PM
It is a insider article.
http://proxy.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=neyer_rob&id=2014797

Too bad he doesn't know what the hell he is talking about. Minoso played in his first full major league season when he was 28.

Dadawg_77
03-21-2005, 03:42 PM
Too bad he doesn't know what the hell he is talking about. Minoso played in his first full major league season when he was 28.

That is subject for debate. Minnie says he lied on his visa appication to the US saying he was 22 instead of 19. A quote form Minnie's book.

People always want to know how old I really am. The official sources have me listed as being born on November 29, 1922. That would make me 71 years old, and I would not make excuses or apologies. I am actually just 68 years old. I was 19 years old when I arrived in the United States in 1945, but my papers said I was 22. I told a white lie in order to obtain a visa, so I could qualify for service in the Cuban army. My true date of birth is the 29th of November, 1925.

There is also a rumor that Minnie made this up since he lied to his wife about his age and doesn't want that to come up. Like a lot of Latin American players, no one really knows his true age.