PDA

View Full Version : *official* The sky is falling - Buehrle Injures Foot so it's time to freak out thread

mikehuff
03-21-2005, 07:38 AM
Just reported on ESPN1000. They say that he will not start the first week of the season and it could be worse.
Update coming up...

mikehuff
03-21-2005, 07:42 AM
Bruce Levine says...

Injured foot in workout. Sprained or broke a bone in ankle.
Two to six weeks!

Update later this afternoon after x-rays.

Damn it! Just after those perfect 6 innings too. He was hot!

Baby Fisk
03-21-2005, 07:44 AM
If it's 2 weeks, he could still be back the opening week of the season. If it's longer...What happens to the rotation?

SOXSINCE'70
03-21-2005, 07:45 AM
Just heard this on "MVP. According to Bruce LeVineLine,
Mark Beuhrle has either sprained or broken a bone in his
right ankle.He did it during jogging drills yesterday.X -Rays
today will determine if the ankle is sprained or broken.
Guess this seals Brandon McCarthy coming north.He has
to now.Beuhrle will be out 2 to 6 weeks according to
LeVineLine.He will miss his opening day start (DUH!).
Probably all of April as some foot injuries heal slower
than others.

This is not :chickenlittle ,but a setback
just the same.:(: :(: :(:

mikehuff
03-21-2005, 07:45 AM
I expect we will see McCarthy as the #5 for a while. I hope to God that it's not broken. We need Buehrle bad.

Bobby Thigpen
03-21-2005, 07:47 AM
All I can say about this is F word.

Baby Fisk
03-21-2005, 07:48 AM
I expect we will see McCarthy as the #5 for a while. I hope to God that it's not broken. We need Buehrle bad.
As the song goes: B-Mac, "you'll be a woman soon." Man, I meant man. Ah crap... :(:

mikehuff
03-21-2005, 07:51 AM
At least it's not Dye getting injured and Borchard getting the call up.

I'm going to be listening all day and I'll post as soon as they give the update on that ankle.

ElevenUp
Last week one of the radio station reporters asked Buerlhe why the Cubs pitchers get hurt and he doesn't. When I heard that I thought he had just jinxed Buerlhe big time. Looks like McCarthy makesthe openimg day roster.

SOXSINCE'70
Foot injuries are very fickle.Some people heal quickly,
others take more time to heal. At best ,it's 4 weeks.It won't
be 2.I pray to God it won't be 6.This is very disheartening.:(:

mikehuff
03-21-2005, 07:52 AM
Foot injuries are very fickle.Some people heal quickly,
others take more time to heal. At best ,it's 4 weeks.It won't
be 2.I pray to God it won't be 6.This is very disheartening.:(:

You're right. Look at Frank...

ChiWhiteSox1337
03-21-2005, 07:54 AM
Ouch. That's some bad news to wake up to, but atleast it's good to know that it can heal quickly.

nasox
03-21-2005, 08:00 AM
so who is starting opening day now??

TommyJohn
03-21-2005, 08:00 AM
Where's Hangar? I expect him to come in and gloat about "karma" any
minute now.

mikehuff
03-21-2005, 08:01 AM
so who is starting opening day now??
It's gotta be Freddy. Who else?
He's pretty much set as the #2, right?

Baby Fisk
03-21-2005, 08:02 AM
minute now.
Yes... how will he explain this edict from the baseball gods?

TommyJohn
03-21-2005, 08:05 AM
Of course, we'll get the usual weeping and gnashing of teeth articles from
the media about how this is a cruel practical joke, and us fans suffer suffer
suffer so much and deserve so much pity, how the White Sox are entitled to
win but won't because we are eternally cursed and doomed forever. The
wailing in the media shall reach epic proportions, right?

Right?

Gammons Peter
03-21-2005, 08:07 AM
SCR reports that it is a toe ligament

Frater Perdurabo
03-21-2005, 08:12 AM
Can Beckett21 shed some light on injuries like the one that Buehrle has suffered? Of all the players on the Sox, Mark is the one the team can LEAST afford to lose for any period of time.
:(:

TornLabrum
03-21-2005, 08:13 AM
SCR reports that it is a toe ligament

And how do they know if the tests haven't been conducted?

JRIG
03-21-2005, 08:14 AM

:ass
"Fritzy's got some inside info!"

Mickster
03-21-2005, 08:15 AM

Sheesh. It's Mike North. He knows everything!!!

Jjav829
03-21-2005, 08:17 AM
Ugh, not good. :(:

Let's hope it isn't too serious or we'll be looking at 2004 all over again. I guess we can officially welcome Bmac to the big club now. Too bad it had to happen this way.

ChiWhiteSox1337
03-21-2005, 08:18 AM
B Mac or do you think that Dustin Hermanson might get a few starts? I know Hermanson was brought in because of his flexibility, but he wasn't exactly great when he was an SP last year...

spawn
03-21-2005, 08:29 AM
I'm thinking Hermanson will get the nod, depending on the severity of the injury. If Buehrle only misses the first week of the season, it makes no sense to bring BMac north if he'll be sent down once Buehrle returns. If he's gone for a period of time, then I would see him being added to the roster.

Baby Fisk
03-21-2005, 08:37 AM
Ah crap! I just saw Guy Bacci's ill-timed "Pitching Ritches" column on the main WSI page and have to ask: Has H. Vickery's Law struck again?! :o:

H. Vickery's Law: The metaphysical truth that "whenever something good begins to happen for the Sox, disaster is about to occur". Named for Sox Fan Hal Vickery.

itsnotrequired
03-21-2005, 08:38 AM
Grrr...:mad:

Kuzman
03-21-2005, 08:39 AM
just said on Mike and Mike that it is a Broken Bone... :(: Bruce Levine reported.

Clement's beard
03-21-2005, 08:44 AM
Tough break. This is not at all directed at everyone, but those who were laughing and celebrating when Prior and Wood got hurt, Karma works in funny ways.

Baby Fisk
03-21-2005, 08:47 AM
quoting HellenicSoxFan from another thread:

Tom Shaer and Bruce Levine on WMVP just reported that with Buehrle's injury, McCarthy is now in the rotation.

Kalish
03-21-2005, 08:48 AM
Tough break. This is not at all directed at everyone, but those who were laughing and celebrating when Prior and Wood got hurt, Karma works in funny ways.

I never did (openly). Why can't my Karma count?!

DaveIsHere
03-21-2005, 08:50 AM
Man this sucks. I am tellin gyou only in the city of Chicago can 3 of the cities top pitchers go down in Spring training.

Hopefully he will not miss too much time and we dont need 5 starters for a week or so into thte season so maybe it wont be too bad. I am just afraid that if he tries to come back too early and changes his mechanics (ie prior) we will be in a world of hurt

balke
03-21-2005, 08:50 AM
That Karma thing reminds me of last season, and laughing at the Twinks for Shannon Stewart and others going down to injury.

Wow, this is the worst news possible. Buerhle's games are the best to go and watch.

Clement's beard
03-21-2005, 08:55 AM
I never did (openly). Why can't my Karma count?!

I look at it this way. If a rival teams player goes down and it helps my teams chances of winning, there is nothing at all wrong with feeling good about it because it helps your team. But to openly laugh and mock a player for getting hurt, bad things man, bad things.

This gives the rook a chance to show is stripes.

harwar
Mark is young and able to heal quickly.
I'm holding my breath and not going to get crazy unless its a total tear or multiple fracture.

CarlosMay'sThumb
Just heard Bruce Levine on ESPN around 8:45 AM say the foot is definitely broken and Buerhle's out 4-6 weeks. These numbers are almost always on the low side. I'm thinking maybe after the All Star break, especially considering he'll need to go through a minor league rehab for a 3-4 starts.

I just heard a loud sucking sound go out of this season. Figures, just after I paid for my season tickets.

jake27
03-21-2005, 09:00 AM
this really sucks :(:

but everyone was arguing against me that mccarthy is wayyyyyyyyyy to young to start in the majors now. we will ruin him!!! :rolleyes:

Tekijawa
03-21-2005, 09:01 AM
Just heard Bruce Levine on ESPN around 8:45 AM say the foot is definitely broken and Buerhle's out 4-6 weeks. These numbers are almost always on the low side. I'm thinking maybe after the All Star break, especially considering he'll need to go through a minor league rehab for a 3-4 starts.

I just heard a loud sucking sound go out of this season. Figures, just after I paid for my season tickets.

He's out 4-6 weeks and you don't have him coming back for 3-4 MONTHS? RELAX PEOPLE! The Season doesn't START for another 2 weeks! I would imagine that 1 minor league start at the most after siting down to get his legs back, maybe even just a simulated game. I bet the have him riding a bike for the next 4 weeks to keep his legs where they are... I think we could go with a 4 man rotation for he 2-4 weeks he MIGHT miss the begining of the season, or at the worst have McCarthy start the season in the 5th role... I'm not worried!

kittle42
03-21-2005, 09:01 AM

4-6 weeks = after the all-star break?

:threadsucks

balke
03-21-2005, 09:02 AM

but everyone was arguing against me that mccarthy is wayyyyyyyyyy to young to start in the majors now. we will ruin him!!! :rolleyes:

Most people argued to wait til we need him, and we now need him. But you used teal so you probably know that. Some people still might want to wait, but I think he's mentally tough and can do it.

Baby Fisk
03-21-2005, 09:02 AM

If B-Mac starts and gets rocked, it's going to be your fault now. :redneck

Jerko
03-21-2005, 09:06 AM
That Karma thing reminds me of last season, and laughing at the Twinks for Shannon Sharpe and others going down to injury.

Wow, this is the worst news possible. Buerhle's games are the best to go and watch.

Shannon Sharpe? We played the Broncos last year? Just kidding, I know you meant Shannon Stewart. I know somebody mentioned Frank's injury; hopefully the fact that Buerhle isn't a huge guy will make the healing process go faster, part of Frank's problem is that he puts so much weight on his ankle/foot just by walking around.

jake27
03-21-2005, 09:12 AM
:chickenlittle mabye not that bad but it really sux.... im just waiting for some dumb flubs fan to say it is because buehrle is on steroids :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

harwar
03-21-2005, 09:15 AM
The Score reports... "its a torn ligament in his toe'.

Espn1000 reports... "his foot is broken"

Maybe they shouldn't speculate on such things until they have at least a glimmer of fact behind what they are reporting.

HebrewHammer
03-21-2005, 09:23 AM

Maybe they shouldn't speculate on such things until they have at least a glimmer of fact behind what they are reporting.

Seriously. Until we hear AN OFFICIAL WHITE SOX PRESS RELEASE. I wouldn't bother speculating. All our local mediots love jumping to conclusions. As soon as Bruce LeVineLine gets a job with the Sox medical staff I'll start believing him.

:dtroll: :dtroll: :dtroll:

infohawk
03-21-2005, 09:24 AM
I feel bad for Mark, who was having a great spring, but it sounds like he may only miss a few weeks. It could be much, much worse.

In the meantime, this could (and I emphasize "could") become one of those situations that initially looks bad but, in the end, profers surprising good fortune on a team. Baseball can be a mysterious game, almost mystical at times. What if, and again I emphasize if, so stay with me, Buerhle going down is what puts McCarthy in the rotation. What if McCarthy absolutely dominates hitters and becomes one of, if not the most effective starter. When Buerhle comes back the Sox would have to clear someone from the rotation. What if McCarthy has so impressed that they just can't send him down because he is drastically outpitching one or two guys in the rotation (such as Contreras or Garland). Because McCarthy began the season in the majors and was dominant, it becomes easier for the team to make the decision to send a starter with lesser effectiveness to the pen. Such a situation could be of tremendous benefit to the team as it upgrades the rotation and the bullpen.

I only mention this because I think it is a legitimate scenario. I'm certainly not saying it is the definitive scenario, but it is a viable alternative to a "doom-and-gloom" situation. At the very least, I didn't panic when I read about Buerhle because I know that McCarthy can step in.

TornLabrum
03-21-2005, 09:26 AM

Thank you!!!!!

HebrewHammer
03-21-2005, 09:27 AM
I look at it this way. If a rival teams player goes down and it helps my teams chances of winning, there is nothing at all wrong with feeling good about it because it helps your team. But to openly laugh and mock a player for getting hurt, bad things man, bad things.

This gives the rook a chance to show is stripes.

Weren't you the one speculating that Prior's career might be over?

03-21-2005, 09:28 AM
If it's broke, we are looking at 3-4 weeks in a cast...then 2 weeks of rehab....look for him and Frank to be back in May

Palehose Pete
03-21-2005, 09:29 AM
To quote the great philosopher, Butthead: "This sucks worse than anything has sucked before, Beavis."

Holding my breath for the Chicago media's "Buehrle Watch."

spawn
03-21-2005, 09:30 AM

Finally...the voice of reason. I haven't seen this reported on the White Sox website yet. I think I'll wait until then before predicting doom and gloom for the upcoming season...

Soxzilla
03-21-2005, 09:31 AM
I agree with Infohawk. It sucks that it had to be Burly-mon, and not Garland, but this could give B-Mac the chance to come right into the majors and become a incredibly successful pitcher.

He's been facing major league hitters already and completely knockin' em down, let's see what he can do when the games count.

:redneck

Sorry for bringing optimism in this thread.

:chickenlittle

spawn
03-21-2005, 09:32 AM
To quote the great philosopher, Butthead: "This sucks worse than anything has sucked before, Beavis."

Holding my breath for the Chicago media's "Buehrle Watch."

MY EYES!!! MY EYES!!!

itsnotrequired
03-21-2005, 09:32 AM
I just hope the team is straight-forward in terms of giving out information and expected returns. Nothing would be more annoying that some Cub-esque shrouding of the real situation ala Wood and Prior.

Clement's beard
03-21-2005, 09:33 AM
Weren't you the one speculating that Prior's career might be over?

Yes. But I wasn't laughing about it, nor would I laugh at any injury.

jake27
03-21-2005, 09:34 AM
i got a question.... you would think when the sox play in milwaukee before the season starts that the #4 will pitch friday and #5 saturday.... that means mccarthy should play there saturday... i dont think they would go with anyone 1-3 starting and they will have their big league club with them so no minor leaguers would start.... thoughts????

CarlosMay'sThumb
03-21-2005, 09:44 AM
He's out 4-6 weeks and you don't have him coming back for 3-4 MONTHS? RELAX PEOPLE! The Season doesn't START for another 2 weeks! I would imagine that 1 minor league start at the most after siting down to get his legs back, maybe even just a simulated game. I bet the have him riding a bike for the next 4 weeks to keep his legs where they are... I think we could go with a 4 man rotation for he 2-4 weeks he MIGHT miss the begining of the season, or at the worst have McCarthy start the season in the 5th role... I'm not worried!
The 4-6 week date is coming from ESPN and not the White Sox officially, so I agree that it's probably best to wait until the official announcement to be absolutely sure.

But I think 4-6 weeks for a pitcher with a broken foot is on the low side. And even if it's dead on, there's no way you go with only a simulated game for a rehab after not throwing a pitch for 4-6 weeks. Basically, he would have to start spring training over again - probably 3-4 starts with a gradually increasing number of pitches in each game. That's another couple of weeks at least.

As for not being worried, maybe somebody can tell me when the last time a team lost its ace for the first 1-2 months (assuming you're correct) of the season and won its division.

SoxFan78
03-21-2005, 09:45 AM
Remember the 2003 Florida Marlins. Their top pitcher went down for longer then what Buehrle will be out, and look what happened. They brought up a young pitcher, named Dontrelle Willis. And what did he do? He just became rookie of the year and helped the Marlins get into the Playoffs, and eventually the Marlins beat that team up north and they won the World Series.

So lets relax, things should be fine.

CHISOXFAN13
03-21-2005, 09:46 AM
ESPN has sound with Williams. Everything Levine said was correct. Hair-line fracture, out 4-6 weeks. How anyone gets torn ligament from this is beyond me.

Nice job WSCR

The Critic

The Score has Mike North talking about the injury.
ESPN 1000 had a soundbite of KW saying it's a hairline fracture.
Guess who I believe?
( HINT: He did NOT sell hot dogs.... )

Flight #24
The 4-6 week date is coming from ESPN and not the White Sox officially, so I agree that it's probably best to wait until the official announcement to be absolutely sure.

But I think 4-6 weeks for a pitcher with a broken foot is on the low side. And even if it's dead on, there's no way you go with only a simulated game for a rehab after not throwing a pitch for 4-6 weeks. Basically, he would have to start spring training over again - probably 3-4 starts with a gradually increasing number of pitches in each game. That's another couple of weeks at least.

As for not being worried, maybe somebody can tell me when the last time a team lost its ace for the first 1-2 months (assuming you're correct) of the season and won its division.

ESPN1000 just had a KW sound bite confirming that it's a hairline fracture in the ankle and a 4-6week timeline.

delben91
03-21-2005, 09:47 AM
Guys, I'm as bummed as the rest of you. However, lamenting it isn't going to make Mark's foot, ankle, toe, whatever heal any faster. McCarthy has been beyond solid, to the point where I don't mind him filling in at the back of the rotation.

They play the games for a reason. This is a team that would've still needed to find ways to win on the 4 days Buehrle didn't start. I can be done. It'll be harder now, but it can be done.

anewman35
03-21-2005, 09:48 AM
i got a question.... you would think when the sox play in milwaukee before the season starts that the #4 will pitch friday and #5 saturday.... that means mccarthy should play there saturday... i dont think they would go with anyone 1-3 starting and they will have their big league club with them so no minor leaguers would start.... thoughts????

I was pretty much thinking that as well. I think it's possible/likely that they'll have a few extra people up, but I would assume that it'll be basically the major league roster. In theory they could start a minor leaguer, but it wouldn't make much sense NOT to start the 5th starter, unless they were planning on having him throw on the side a few days later in order to get him on normal rest (in which case they'd probably pitch the 2/3 starters against Milwaukee).

Clement's beard
03-21-2005, 09:48 AM
ESPN1000 just had a KW sound bite confirming that it's a hairline fracture in the ankle and a 4-6week timeline.

Best case after rehab=June. That's not KW, that's me.

CHISOXFAN13
03-21-2005, 09:50 AM

How much rehab do all the pessimits believe is neccessary for a hairline fracture? Two months?

Geez.

SoxFan78

So you are saying he's gonna be out 2 months, and what are you basing this on?

mikehuff
I think Bruce Levine said Buehrle was out there shagging flies in the outfield. I don't think that's a big deal, it wasn't like he was out bull fighting or parachuting or something. A freak injury is a freak injury.

Flight #24
03-21-2005, 09:52 AM

Isn't the 4-6 week timeline including rehab? For hairline fractures, I thought it was a fairly quick recovery time. Maybe Doc can chime in here.

But in any case, when Kenny says "hairline fracture, 4-6 weeks" I have to think he doesn't mean "4-6 weeks + rehab".

Clement's beard
03-21-2005, 09:57 AM
Lets say MB starts running at the start of May. He will need a few weeks of conditioning and at least a few starts in Charlotte before he is ready. Late May or early June sounds right.

spawn
03-21-2005, 09:58 AM
Isn't the 4-6 week timeline including rehab? For hairline fractures, I thought it was a fairly quick recovery time. Maybe Doc can chime in here.

But in any case, when Kenny says "hairline fracture, 4-6 weeks" I have to think he doesn't mean "4-6 weeks + rehab".
He's a Flub fan...what would you expect? And I agree whole heartedly with your post. Considering the doom and gloom that has permeated this thread since news of his injury broke, I'd say the injury only being a hairline fracture is great news. I think we can hold on until he gets back. Herm will have him back on the field in no time.

balke
03-21-2005, 09:58 AM

Yeah, i don't think Hairline is as bad, I always add 2 weeks to the max so I'm not as disappointed.

daveeym
03-21-2005, 09:59 AM
Anyone know which foot it's on? if it's not his left foot this is all precautionary then. He'd probably pitch with it at the end of the season if the Sox were in the playoff hunt. This really isn't that big of a deal IMHO. Timing is the only possible bad thing about it. Makes it tougher for the sox to get out of the gate quickly is all.

Qdaddy
03-21-2005, 10:04 AM
Guys relax! I know this sucks...but I actually had the same injury in High School and I was out of my cast in 3 weeks and was back playing within a week. That's based on this being a hairline fracture. Is that confirmed? Now, I know that I wasn't a MLB player, so you might add on a week for them but this is NOT a serious injury. He should only miss a month at the most. This may sound dumb but I almost feel more comfortable with B-mac as our 3rd starter instead of Jose C. and I hate Judy Garland. Just venting......

Cub Killa "Q"

daveeym
03-21-2005, 10:07 AM
Guys relax! I know this sucks...but I actually had the same injury in High School and I was out of my cast in 3 weeks and was back playing within a week. That's based on this being a hairline fracture. Is that confirmed? Now, I know that I wasn't a MLB player, so you might add on a week for them but this is NOT a serious injury. He should only miss a month at the most. This may sound dumb but I almost feel more comfortable with B-mac as our 3rd starter instead of Jose C. and I hate Judy Garland. Just venting......

Cub Killa "Q" No no no, take a week off since he's an MLB player, they'll have him on bone builders and in the hyperbaric chamber (and that may not have to be in teal).

Qdaddy
03-21-2005, 10:13 AM
"No no no, take a week off since he's an MLB player, they'll have him on bone builders and in the hyperbaric chamber (and that may not have to be in teal). "

True, but you know there is no way he's back in 2 weeks. I'd love it, but that's not happening. I hope you're right though.

TornLabrum
03-21-2005, 10:15 AM

And which school did you get your MD from?

daveeym
03-21-2005, 10:17 AM
"No no no, take a week off since he's an MLB player, they'll have him on bone builders and in the hyperbaric chamber (and that may not have to be in teal). "

True, but you know there is no way he's back in 2 weeks. I'd love it, but that's not happening. I hope you're right though. Agreed, probably about a month particularly with the schedule the way it is. Play it safe and sound.

infohawk
03-21-2005, 10:18 AM

Well, I can't recall a team actually "losing" their ace for the first month or two of the season and not winning their division as a result. I will say, however, that Johann Santana was absolutely abysmal for the first two months of last season. He had a 5.40 ERA in April and a 5.79 ERA in May. This covered a total of eleven starts. I know he was lights out from June onward, but his poor performance to start the season certainly wasn't befitting an "ace." In this respect, the Twins didn't "have" their ace for two months and still won over 90 games. With Mark, we are probably only looking at him missing a few starts. I think B-Mac will step in and do a fine job. The Sox have enough balance and depth this year to absorb Mark missing a few starts. In fact, this is one of the major distinctions between this year and previous years.

voodoochile
03-21-2005, 10:19 AM
And which school did you get your MD from?

Clearly not the same one the flubbie trainers went to, or Mark would be ready to pitch tomorrow...

The_Cheesiest_Idiot
03-21-2005, 10:20 AM
damn this is not what i wanted to wake up to today. i have not seen mark pitch as well as he did this spring. he was DOMINANT beyond belief. hopefully he heals quickly and can have a decent season.

shoota
03-21-2005, 10:20 AM

:dtroll::dtroll::dtroll:

DaleJRFan
03-21-2005, 10:21 AM
Anyone know which foot it's on? if it's not his left foot this is all precautionary then. He'd probably pitch with it at the end of the season if the Sox were in the playoff hunt. This really isn't that big of a deal IMHO. Timing is the only possible bad thing about it. Makes it tougher for the sox to get out of the gate quickly is all.

Left foot.

As much as it hurts to see the Sox #1 starter and staff ace go down, I'm much more comfortable with him getting injured in Spring Training as opposed to late July. He'll still throw 175-190 innings after he comes back. McBrandon will get 4 to 5 starts and we'll get to see him in games that mean something. Since McBrandon is in the rotation now, can we please stop all of the damn "McCarthy Rules" threads... please???

Everyone keeps saying 4-6 weeks + conditioning + rehab + (insert speculation here)... = out for all eternity, cancel the season! Give me a break. How fat can a man get in 5 weeks from having a hairline fracture on his foot??

Cut the doom and gloom guys. The positive in all of this is that if McBrandon goes 5-0 with a 1.32 ERA in the starts he will get, when M.B. comes back, maybe we can "MOVE" one of the less effective starters elsewhere.

Sox pitching staff is deep. Sure we just lost 4 or 5 starts from our ace, but we have a reallllllly good plan B, and there are 3 weeks before the season starts.

Ok, I'm done.. I have to hurry up and start a "What will the rotation look like when Buehrle comes back" thread before anyone else can!

shoota
03-21-2005, 10:21 AM
A break isn't bad, it's the severe sprains and ligaments that I worry about. Thankfully, Buehrle doesn't have to worry about that. And thankfully this was a freak accident and has nothing to do with his elbow or worse, his shoulder.

HebrewHammer
03-21-2005, 10:23 AM
So, after we win the World Series this year, do any of you think they'll but Mark's cast up next to Schilling's sock in the Hall?

:gulp: :gulp: :gulp:

SoxFan78
03-21-2005, 10:24 AM
I can't wait for the Buehrle watch!!

LVSoxFan
03-21-2005, 10:34 AM
Listen, as somebody who's had ligament injuries (severe) and broken bones, just thank GOD it's a broken bone--and a hairline fracture at that.

That takes about six weeks to heal (probably less if it's merely a hairline), whereas ligaments take MONTHS. Some still aren't right on me.

Yeah it sucks, but welcome to baseball: injuries are always going to happen. Luckily we have enough depth--at least on paper--that this shouldn't be cause for out-and-out panic.

champagne030
03-21-2005, 10:35 AM

the injury is to the fifth metatarsal (baby toe) bone of the left foot.......per espn update.......

DaleJRFan
03-21-2005, 10:39 AM
I can't wait for the Buehrle watch!!

Think we'll get hourly "...threw 4 simulated innings..." or "...7-8 pitches off of a mound..." updates?

shoota
03-21-2005, 10:42 AM
I think Bruce Levine said Buehrle was out there shagging flies in the outfield. I don't think that's a big deal, it wasn't like he was out bull fighting or parachuting or something. A freak injury is a freak injury.

Of all the kick-saves on ropes back at the mound Buehrle has made, he breaks his foot shagging flies in spring training. :?:

Don't we have enough outfielders?

CHISOXFAN13
03-21-2005, 10:42 AM
According to the latest ESPN update, Buerhle feels great today and will have another MRI and bone scan today.

Fake Chet Lemon
03-21-2005, 10:43 AM
OK, all you doom and gloomers. An absolute worst case. If Frank and Buhrle were out until the All-Star break (which they won't be), can you agree this team can stay around .500 (the answer is yes)? So we'd be what, 5-6 games out at worst? Then we get our two best players back and win the divsion. So WHAT'S THE PROBLEM? Let's all relax. But the timing kind of sux, I just got down here for Spring Training today and now this slight damper on things!!!!

Mohoney
03-21-2005, 10:49 AM
This may be the wrong way to look at it, but after last year, I'm just happy that he's not lost for the season. Plus, at least he got some work in this Spring, so I don't think it will take too long for him to get back to top form when he does come back.

03-21-2005, 10:49 AM
I know it sucks losing Buherle but lets look at it this way, he will be out, at worse, 6 weeks...so he misses 6/7 starts....if we can win 3 of those, were more then fine....losing a top pitcher hurts, but in my view it;s better then losing an everday player like Pauie or Aaron for 6 weeks. I see him back the first week of May, that leaves us 5 months! Plenty of time!

Baby Fisk
03-21-2005, 10:50 AM
OK, all you doom and gloomers. An absolute worst case. If Frank and Buhrle were out until the All-Star break (which they won't be), can you agree this team can stay around .500 (the answer is yes)? So we'd be what, 5-6 games out at worst? Then we get our two best players back and win the divsion. So WHAT'S THE PROBLEM? Let's all relax. But the timing kind of sux, I just got down here for Spring Training today and now this slight damper on things!!!!
April will be challenging because we play all our division rivals plus Oakland in Oakland (where the Sox always suck). May is much better as we have KC, Toronto, TB, and Baltimore before going to Wrigley. Then it's a total of 10 games vs. Anaheim and Texas. Frank & Buehrle will be back by then, so this is definitely not the end of the world.

daveeym
03-21-2005, 10:54 AM
This is starting to sound like an early april fools joke.

Jaffar
03-21-2005, 11:00 AM
Buehrle feeling good today. They are seaking another opinion on the foot thinking it is not as serious as first reported. This was just reported by Bruce Levine on ESPN.

duke of dorwood
03-21-2005, 11:11 AM
On the bright side-with all the days off in April-it could be worse there.

Does anyone know if it is more difficult being the landing foot versus the push-off foot?

Mohoney
03-21-2005, 11:12 AM
Buehrle feeling good today. They are seaking another opinion on the foot thinking it is not as serious as first reported. This was just reported by Bruce Levine on ESPN.

This is getting weird all of a sudden.

DaveIsHere
03-21-2005, 11:15 AM

Agreed, BTW how the hell you you fracture a bone shagging balls in the outfield??:?:

balke
03-21-2005, 11:16 AM
Foot... hairline ankle fracture, pinky toe fracture, pinky toe tendon rip.

Jogging... shagging balls

***, what's the real story?

infohawk

At the very least this means that it must not be a horiffic break. If it is broken, as it sounds, Mark may bounce back quickly.

Frater Perdurabo
Let's all just hope its not as bad as we thought.

As good as McCarthy has looked, and not to take anything away from his performance, he's still not as good as Buehrle. Losing Buehrle and replacing him with a rookie for any length of time is a MAJOR downgrade, barring a Marlins-like miracle, which I'm not couting on.

:tomatoaward

Baby Fisk
03-21-2005, 11:18 AM
Until the Sox issue the definitive word, let's all calm down because the clashing stories are indeed getting too weird.

Mickster
03-21-2005, 11:20 AM

Almost Cub-like. :D:

itsnotrequired
03-21-2005, 11:22 AM
Even though the details are not totally clear, at lest the media is talking about it. We could be hearing some story about how Kerry Wood had a dream last night where he pitched well and how the Cubs are taking it as a sign he is progressing nicely...:rolleyes:

Jerko
03-21-2005, 11:25 AM
The media is talking about it, but we're getting a different story every update it sounds like. Nice responsible reporting there by the 2 radio outlets. You would think they couldn't make that many mistakes around all the commercials.

tadscout
03-21-2005, 11:27 AM
Does anyone know if it is more difficult being the landing foot versus the push-off foot?

Well pitching is all about balance, so I'd imagine it's worse to have it on your post leg were all your weight is balanced on the balls of your foot area... if your balance is thrown off in the beginning then your whole delivery is ruined...(also you're never supposed to push off the rubber w/ you post leg)... While if it's in you stride leg I'd imagine it'll hurt like crazy to land, but wouldn't hurt the delivery as badly...

WhiteSoxFan84
03-21-2005, 11:27 AM
Latest news is that he will be out a month at the very least. See you in May Mark. McCarthy will get his shot as the 5th starter until Buehrle returns.

kittle42
03-21-2005, 11:28 AM
Agreed, BTW how the hell you you fracture a bone shagging balls in the outfield??:?:

Here's how: I just suffered a hairline fracture of the fifth metatarsal on my left foot in November. I was walking down the street and took a wrong step. My foot turned inward and all my weight fell on the left side of my left foot. It hurt like hell for about a week. The doc said it was nothing and didn't even cast it. He just limited my activity for 4 weeks. While it still does not feel exactly right (I wish he had cast it - the quack), there is no real pain.

03-21-2005, 11:28 AM

Trib has ablurb on it so it's true, lets not lose too much sllep over it, Chalk it up as bad luck and be thankful we have him for 90% of the season

SoxxoS
03-21-2005, 11:30 AM
Beckett- We need you here!!!!

Ol' No. 2
03-21-2005, 11:38 AM
Here's how: I just suffered a hairline fracture of the fifth metatarsal on my left foot in November. I was walking down the street and took a wrong step. My foot turned inward and all my weight fell on the left side of my left foot. It hurt like hell for about a week. The doc said it was nothing and didn't even cast it. He just limited my activity for 4 weeks. While it still does not feel exactly right (I wish he had cast it - the quack), there is no real pain.They don't cast toe fractures anymore. Often they tell you to sleep with a shoe on to immobilize it.

WhiteSoxFan84
03-21-2005, 11:41 AM
Injury maybe OVERBLOWN. Buehrle says he feels 100% better today and he will be sent to get a MRI. Results will hopefully be MUCH better than expected.

That's coming via George Ofman of the Score.

Buehrle has not had a ton of injuries in his career and that is why I'm hopeful that he'll recover a lot quicker than expected. I say he misses a week or 2 of the season at most.

As much as I want to see McCarthy up in the bigs, I want my main man Mark Anthony healthy all year not. Mainly because I want the Sox at their best all year long but also because I acquired him in one of my fantasy leagues yesterday (for Andruw Jones...was that a steal or what?).

CubKilla
03-21-2005, 11:44 AM
Trib has ablurb on it so it's true, lets not lose too much sllep over it, Chalk it up as bad luck and be thankful we have him for 90% of the season

No BUEHRLE WATCH?

Iwritecode
03-21-2005, 11:47 AM
Beckett- We need you here!!!!

The WSI member or the player???

:cool:

Soxfest
03-21-2005, 11:48 AM
B-Mac come on down

Iwritecode
03-21-2005, 11:49 AM
Buehrle has not had a ton of injuries in his career and that is why I'm hopeful that he'll recover a lot quicker than expected. I say he misses a week or 2 of the season at most.

What do previous injuries have to do with recovery time from a freak accident?

Mohoney
03-21-2005, 11:50 AM
Buehrle is scheduled for an MRI, according to Herm Schneider.

They don't even know what it is yet.

stl_sox_fan
03-21-2005, 11:57 AM
Funny note on ChicagoSports.com "suffered Sunday while shagging fly balls at the team's spring training complex". Didn't Gagne get injured during a game of pickle? When will pitchers learn?
Maybe Buehrle missing a few starts could have a happy ending. Guillen is already loaded with pitchers, he was kidding about leaving camp with 13. Brandon McCarthy has been looking pretty solid in spring training. Maybe some competition at the starting role might finally make Garland put up or shut up.

Brian26
03-21-2005, 12:02 PM
Wow, what a complete bummer.

CubKilla
03-21-2005, 12:04 PM
Maybe some competition at the starting role might finally make Garland put up or shut up.

Don't count on it. Garland is obviously content on being a competely mediocre pitcher.

Just don't boo him.

Foulke You
03-21-2005, 12:08 PM
Here is what worries me, if McCarthy is our scheduled #5 that would put him on track to make his major league debut against the Minnesota Twins in the Roller Dome. Nothing like dropping another pitching prospect right into the wood chipper.:(: We will find out just how good B-Mac really is.

ElevenUp
03-21-2005, 12:11 PM
They don't cast toe fractures anymore. Often they tell you to sleep with a shoe on to immobilize it.

Metatarsal bone is in the foot. The toe bones are referred to as phalanges. The fifth metatarsal is the foot bone that connects to the "pinky-toe" bone. If the metatarsal is broken close to the ankle it's called a "Jones fracture" and can be problematic.

SoxxoS
03-21-2005, 12:14 PM
Here is what worries me, if McCarthy is our scheduled #5 that would put him on track to make his major league debut against the Minnesota Twins in the Roller Dome. Nothing like dropping another pitching prospect right into the wood chipper.:(: We will find out just how good B-Mac really is.

Ozzie is big into matchups and such when he can make a change...so I wouldn't be suprised if he moves BMAC up to 3rd to pitch against the Wahoo's and leave the Minnesota series to the vets.

But then again...the guy is fearless...I don't see any reason why he would get flustered.

JRIG
03-21-2005, 12:16 PM

I don't think that's true. The Sox shouldn't need a fifth starter until April 18 against the Twins at Comiskey. Before then, off days would dictate only 4 starters are necessary.

anewman35
03-21-2005, 12:18 PM
I don't think that's true. The Sox shouldn't need a fifth starter until April 18 against the Twins at Comiskey. Before then, off days would dictate only 4 starters are necessary.

Unless somebody goes on short rest, we need a fifth starter April 10th.

Anyway, according to a new article on MLB.com (which says this may not be as bad as thought, since Buehrle is feeling better today):

Guillen wasn't sure where McCarthy would fit in the rotation. Freddy Garcia would move up to Opening Day against Cleveland, and there's a chance McCarthy could pitch the second game at U.S. Cellular Field, to avoid him starting during the first road series in Minnesota.

Lip Man 1
03-21-2005, 12:19 PM
The Chicago Tribune web site has a story up now about the injury. Said it happened Sunday while shagging fly balls (does not say how it happened...trip? colliding with another player? stepping in a hole?).

Initial speculation is a hairline fracture and that he could be out 4-6 weeks (doesn't say if that includes rehab time.)

Story says Mark woke up today and said the pain had subsided also said he has regained some of his range of motion and will be going for more tests today.

There you have it.

The Sox have to be careful with this even if he is only out for a few weeks. Remember he's a pitcher and rushing a pitcher back could cause him to change his motion to compensate for the foot which could lead to arm or elbow or hip injuries.

It's a blessing (at least right now) that McCarthy has looked so good but the real test will come when opposing hitters are playing for keeps and not just playing games.

That being said if Mark misses the first month, he misses six series against division opponents. I've always been a big believer in getting off to good starts and hoping the momentum last throughout the season. Remember games lost in April can't be made up, just like in August. They all count the same.

Now that I've explained myself logically allow me to explain myself illogically.

Typical White Sox luck! A fine start to the 2005 season LOL

Sigh....

Lip

JKryl
03-21-2005, 12:22 PM
It figures, I finally got him on my fantasy team, and he gets injured. Well, maybe the added rest will help him later in the season (positive thinking?).

JRIG
03-21-2005, 12:23 PM
Unless somebody goes on short rest, we need a fifth starter April 10th.

Of course, that's right. Sorry about that needless post.

daveeym
03-21-2005, 12:24 PM
It's beginning to sound like he hyperextended something, everyone overreacted and tests will end up showing nothing and he'll miss one spring training appearance, maybe two.

SOXSINCE'70
03-21-2005, 12:34 PM
Almost Cub-like. :D:

YAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!! THE "C" WORD!!!!!!!!!:D: :D: :D:

Lip Man 1
03-21-2005, 12:52 PM
Some additional info...from White Sox.com:

"The left-hander, who turns 26 on Wednesday, felt a pop in his left foot and reportedly suffered a hairline fracture of the fourth metatarsal, which would put him out of action for four to six weeks.

That prognosis was met with much more optimism Monday morning. Manager Ozzie Guillen said that while Buehrle could barely walk on Sunday, he already had some range of motion in less than a 24-hour period. Guillen also deferred to athletic trainer Herm Schneider, who was working with Buehrle on Monday morning. A bone scan was being taken to gauge the damage done to Buehrle's left foot. If the worst-case situation plays out, then Guillen said rookie phenom Brandon McCarthy would step into the starting rotation."

Story goes on to quote Jamie Burke as saying Buehrle has a walking boot on his left foot.

Lip

dcb33
03-21-2005, 01:02 PM
YAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!! THE "C" WORD!!!!!!!!!:D: :D: :D:

:tealpolice:

Don't you mean 'The "C" word'?

Dick Allen
03-21-2005, 01:12 PM
No, this couldn't have happened to Garland or Willie Harris or Adkins. Great.

beckett21
03-21-2005, 01:29 PM
Some additional info...from White Sox.com:

"The left-hander, who turns 26 on Wednesday, felt a pop in his left foot and reportedly suffered a hairline fracture of the fourth metatarsal, which would put him out of action for four to six weeks.

That prognosis was met with much more optimism Monday morning. Manager Ozzie Guillen said that while Buehrle could barely walk on Sunday, he already had some range of motion in less than a 24-hour period. Guillen also deferred to athletic trainer Herm Schneider, who was working with Buehrle on Monday morning. A bone scan was being taken to gauge the damage done to Buehrle's left foot. If the worst-case situation plays out, then Guillen said rookie phenom Brandon McCarthy would step into the starting rotation."

Story goes on to quote Jamie Burke as saying Buehrle has a walking boot on his left foot.

Lip

Thanks for that bit of info Lip. I have to get back to work right now so this will be brief:

The fourth metatarsal bone is the long bone in the midfoot just behind the toes. A stress fracture here is common in athletes, particularly runners but anyone can get them. They can be triggered by injury (i.e. sprain) or most commonly caused by repetetive stress or a sudden increase in activity level. Hence the term *stress fracture*.

This is much more of a garden-variety injury than the stress fracture Frank Thomas suffered. Different bones, different prognosis. 4-6 weeks is a very reasonable timetable for his return. I would think he will probably be out 6 weeks just to be sure he is fully healed, rather than try to get him back too early and risk further injury.

Someone mentioned a Jones fracture, which is a fracture at the base of the 5th metatarsal, in laymens terms the bone that seems to flare out like a bump outside the midpart of your foot. A Jones fracture is notoriously slow healing due to poor blood flow in the area, and can take anywhere from 8-12 weeks or longer to heal, sometimes requiring surgery.

Assuming the information given is correct, and this is a stress fracture of the 4th metatarsal, I would expect him back in 6 weeks or so. All you can do is wait unfortunately, and rest the bone and give it time to heal properly. IMO it would be better not to rush him back too soon, to keep this from becoming a chronic problem. He probably could be back in 3-4 weeks, but early in the season it would be wise to hold him back a little IMO. Totally different than the Thomas situation though, assuming I have the particulars correct.

I'll check back in tonight to see if there is any updated information.

Back to work. :(:

SoxxoS
03-21-2005, 01:34 PM
Thanks beckett.

Flight #24
03-21-2005, 01:37 PM
Thanks for that bit of info Lip. I have to get back to work right now so this will be brief:

The fourth metatarsal bone is the long bone in the midfoot just behind the toes. A stress fracture here is common in athletes, particularly runners but anyone can get them. They can be triggered by injury (i.e. sprain) or most commonly caused by repetetive stress or a sudden increase in activity level. Hence the term *stress fracture*.

This is much more of a garden-variety injury than the stress fracture Frank Thomas suffered. Different bones, different prognosis. 4-6 weeks is a very reasonable timetable for his return. I would think he will probably be out 6 weeks just to be sure he is fully healed, rather than try to get him back too early and risk further injury.

Someone mentioned a Jones fracture, which is a fracture at the base of the 5th metatarsal, in laymens terms the bone that seems to flare out like a bump outside the midpart of your foot. A Jones fracture is notoriously slow healing due to poor blood flow in the area, and can take anywhere from 8-12 weeks or longer to heal, sometimes requiring surgery.

Assuming the information given is correct, and this is a stress fracture of the 4th metatarsal, I would expect him back in 6 weeks or so. All you can do is wait unfortunately, and rest the bone and give it time to heal properly. IMO it would be better not to rush him back too soon, to keep this from becoming a chronic problem. He probably could be back in 3-4 weeks, but early in the season it would be wise to hold him back a little IMO. Totally different than the Thomas situation though, assuming I have the particulars correct.

I'll check back in tonight to see if there is any updated information.

Back to work. :(:

:worship:

You da man.

GiveMeSox
03-21-2005, 01:43 PM
:worship:

You da man.

Hes right. In high school I broke the 5th metatarsal bone on my right foot. Its the part that jets out before your pinky toe. I was in a cast for about 6 weeks total for that one. I had a cast on my foot then went almost up to the knee for about 3.5 to 4 weeks and then they cut it down a little and made it a walking cast for the rest of the time. I remember after i got the cast off my foot and leg were so tiny and week. If took me about 7-12 days after i got the cast off just to regain normal motion on my leg and foot. Since MB's injury is on the 4th metatarsal hopefulle the timetable gets cut down quite a bit.

TomParrish79
03-21-2005, 02:38 PM
I would like to know just how he did this while shagging balls in the outfield.

I guess it could have been worse, remember last year the relief picture from the Angels,whose name I cant remember was shagging balls and took a shot to the eye and it screwed up his season.

Hopefully Mark can recover quickly.

daveeym
03-21-2005, 02:41 PM
I would like to know just how he did this while shagging balls in the outfield.

I guess it could have been worse, remember last year the relief picture from the Angels,whose name I cant remember was shagging balls and took a shot to the eye and it screwed up his season.

Hopefully Mark can recover quickly. The little green men or a sniper got him...or the foul line tripped him.

owensmouth
03-21-2005, 02:46 PM
So Mark shows up at the ballpark today and it feels 100% better. According to the telecast today, no break has been observed. It may be much ado about nothing.

Viva Medias B's
03-21-2005, 02:47 PM
I don't know if this has been discussed, but I like how up front the White Sox have been in discussing this. At the beginning of today's game, they had Herm Schneider on CSNC discussing the specifics of the injuries. The Sox didn't seem to be beating around the bush regarding Buehrle's situation, unlike you know who.

TomParrish79
03-21-2005, 02:53 PM
The little green men or a sniper got him...or the foul line tripped him

Buehrle took down by the turf monster, thats about right.

Anyway he is a warrior he will be back and better than ever.

daveeym
03-21-2005, 03:10 PM
Buehrle took down by the turf monster, thats about right.

Anyway he is a warrior he will be back and better than ever. Phew thought people would think i was nuts but I can relax now, one person knows what i'm talking about.

DaveIsHere
03-21-2005, 03:10 PM
So Mark shows up at the ballpark today and it feels 100% better. According to the telecast today, no break has been observed. It may be much ado about nothing.

Now that would be great news, hopefully we have some test result later today if so we will go from :whiner: to :D: in record time

Palehose13
03-21-2005, 03:33 PM
Thanks Beckett!

Your post has also made me realize that I need to take my coach's advice seriously. He is sitting me until I get cleared by an ortho cause I have been having ankle problems (sprains) for almost a month. It got really bad Saturday at practice. He pretty much knows that I won't get off the field unless I have to be taken in a stretcher. I guess he's making me sit for my own good...so I don't get a nasty stress fracture or something!

JUribe1989
03-21-2005, 03:34 PM
I am kind of confused now, Mark showed up and was okay? Is he gonna be out?

Hangar18
03-21-2005, 03:51 PM
minute now.

Why would I "Gloat"? And if Karma were involved, we'd be winning the
World Series .........were due for good karma.

JUribe1989
03-21-2005, 03:58 PM
Has there been a final say on how long Mark will be out? Or are there more surgeries to be performed or something.

03-21-2005, 04:05 PM
Has there been a final say on how long Mark will be out? Or are there more surgeries to be performed or something.

No...these things are hard to tell....Dr Beckett will agree....when you first have a break, the X-Rays are unclear...I broke my leg once and they thought it was just a bruise...went 5 days without a cast.

Unregistered
03-21-2005, 04:07 PM
Hawk just said the MRI came in inconclusive, and that he will need further testing. Says the good news is that there were definately no breaks or wnything like that.

hose
03-21-2005, 04:07 PM
KW should fly Beckett out to AZ for a second opinion.:cool:

daveeym
03-21-2005, 04:12 PM
:threadblows: :threadsucks
I don't even know where to begin. Posters looking as silly and foolish as the mediots.

thecell
03-21-2005, 04:16 PM
I wonder if the Flubs will be willing to part with Joey Nation :?:

BigHurt359300
03-21-2005, 04:33 PM
I am upset about this, but, hell be back before u know it, hopefully, yaaa, so anyways, wut number will B-Mac wear?

Soxzilla
03-21-2005, 04:41 PM
I am upset about this, but, hell be back before u know it, hopefully, yaaa, so anyways, wut number will B-Mac wear?

Shorty1983
03-21-2005, 04:50 PM
This is just news to me and may I say I'm pissed. I hope it's not serious and only out shortly, but at least we have our insurance policy.
Get well soon Burly, we need you buddy!

B-Mac will take #21 Loaiza old number.

munchman33
03-21-2005, 04:55 PM
This is not at all how I envisioned B-Mac getting his first chance. However, in six weeks perhaps he pushes Contreras or Garland out of the rotation.

Whitesox029
03-21-2005, 05:06 PM
Wouldn't that be awesome? I've personally been waiting for someone to fill that post ever since Foulkie left.

soxwon
03-21-2005, 05:07 PM
As the song goes: B-Mac, "you'll be a woman soon." Man, I meant man. Ah crap... :(:

please dont use b-mac, i keep thinking of bernie mac.

try Brand M.

soxwon
03-21-2005, 05:08 PM
This is not at all how I envisioned B-Mac getting his first chance. However, in six weeks perhaps he pushes Contreras or Garland out of the rotation.

the one to get booted is El Duque, he has not been good.
contreras will be fine so will garland

Lip Man 1
03-21-2005, 05:10 PM
I guess I don't understand how Hawk says the results being inconclusive are good. Seems to me we heard a lot about tests being 'inconclusive' in 2001 and last year and those turned out to be anything but 'good' for the Sox.

Lip

DaleJRFan
03-21-2005, 05:15 PM

try Brand M.

McBrandon is much better.

soxwon
03-21-2005, 05:22 PM
McBrandon is much better.

well it is better than b-mac

santo=dorf
03-21-2005, 05:56 PM

try Brand M.

Well when he posted here he had "BMAC" in his screen name. So get used to it. :cool:

twsoxfan5
03-21-2005, 06:38 PM
Just heard Don Cooper on ESPN 1000 and he has said that he is guardedly optimistic about Buehrle. Buehrle said that he feels 100% better today and that if he felt like this yesterday he would have never even gone to see the trainer. Don said that he is not worried about what the doctors say, but rather what his players say. And Buehrle has said that he feels much better. All of this talk plus the fact that they really don't even know what is wrong yet makes me a lot more optimistic about the whole thing. I am not saying that he wont be hurt, but as the day wears on I continue to get more and more confident that the injury is not as bad as it was originally reported. Wow I can't believe I am not being pesimistic about this whole thing, it will probably come back to bite me in the end.

JUribe1989
03-21-2005, 06:40 PM
Just heard Don Cooper on ESPN 1000 and he has said that he is guardedly optimistic about Buehrle. Buehrle said that he feels 100% better today and that if he felt like this yesterday he would have never even gone to see the trainer. Don said that he is not worried about what the doctors say, but rather what his players say. And Buehrle has said that he feels much better. All of this talk plus the fact that they really don't even know what is wrong yet makes me a lot more optimistic about the whole thing. I am not saying that he wont be hurt, but as the day wears on I continue to get more and more confident that the injury is not as bad as it was originally reported. Wow I can't believe I am not being pesimistic about this whole thing, it will probably come back to bite me in the end.

Wow Coop I sure hope you are right. Anybody know when the results of this new cat scan will be released?

twsoxfan5
03-21-2005, 06:44 PM
Wow Coop I sure hope you are right. Anybody know when the results of this new cat scan will be released?

Just heard Bruce Levine on ESPN 1000 and the results from the CATScan were also inconclusive and that Buerhle may be out of the woods. The only thing that showed up on the scan was a dark shadow that may be a result of an old injury. The new prognosis is that they will rest him for a couple of days and that he may even start to throw again by the end of the week.

JUribe1989
03-21-2005, 06:45 PM
Just heard Bruce Levine on ESPN 1000 and the results from the CATScan were also inconclusive and that Buerhle may be out of the woods. The only thing that showed up on the scan was a dark shadow that may be a result of an old injury. The new prognosis is that they will rest him for a couple of days and that he may even start to throw again by the end of the week.

Whoa really??? This is great news I think. I am trying not to get too excited.

whitesoxwilkes
03-21-2005, 06:47 PM
Whoa really??? This is great news I think. What does out of the woods mean though. I am very stupid for asking this and I am sorry.

Means he's out of danger.

There are no stupid questions, except for the ones that go unasked.

JUribe1989
03-21-2005, 06:50 PM
Did Levine say that Buehrle would start throwing at the end of the week or so?

BridgePortNative
03-21-2005, 06:52 PM
Cant believe this, this thread stinks, this whole story was OVERBLOWN.

Fredsox
03-21-2005, 06:53 PM
Isn't it great how straight up and honest the Sox are being about this?

spawn
03-21-2005, 06:55 PM
Cant believe this, this thread stinks, this whole story was OVERBLOWN.
Maybe the story is overblown, but I'd rather the Sox be safe than sorry. Don't rush him out there if he is hurt. We don't need a Mark Prior situation here. I'd rather be safe and have him miss a start then throw him out there to aggravate the injury.

shoota
03-21-2005, 06:56 PM
Thanks Beckett, you're the man. :gulp:

I cannot wait until our players are back on a Bossard-manicured baseball diamond.

DickAllen72
03-21-2005, 07:00 PM
Kenny Williams (posing as a Comcast reporter) was just interviewing Buehrle on Comcast and Buehrle said he's fine. He said yesterday he heard a pop while shagging fly balls, it hurt for a while then went away. He later took a nap and when he got up the pain was so bad he could hardly stand or walk. Today, he feels like nothing is wrong. He said he's now, "day to day."

BTW, it was humorous interview. When another reporter asked Mark what he thought of the General Manager, KW quickly walked away and said that was all for the report.

mealfred13
03-21-2005, 07:02 PM
Good news, just in from Comcast Sportsnet, straight from the horse's mouth:

Kenny Williams, acting as Comcast Sportsnet Reporter hunted down Buehrle in the club house.

Here are some tidbits from the "interview":

-Buehrle felt something pop while shagging fly balls, which is part of the conditioning routine.

-Went home for a nap and when he woke up, he couldn't walk.

-Got it checked by Herm and initial xrays/etc. showed a stress fracture.

-Today, he feels "100%" better and he can't feel anything is wrong with the foot. Newer xrays/etc. don't show any visible injury.

-Mark says he's 120% sure he'll be fine soon. Kenny asked if there is such a thing as 120%, and Mark said he doesn't know but he's heard people say 110% so he threw a little more on there.

-Kenny asked if shagging fly balls is a bad form of conditioning and should be reviewed or stopped by the sox, to which Mark replied he wouldn't mind not having to shag fly balls, but it's a good conditioning practice.

-Another reporter asked Mark if he likes being interviewed by his GM to which he replied, he doesn't know the GM, this is just a Comcast Reporter. The reporter than asked what Mark thinks of his GM at which point Kenny declared the interview was over, hahah.

Mark has been upgraded from out 4-6 weeks to DAY TO DAY. DAY TO DAY people. Good news. McCarthy is probably not going to the majors, the sky is not falling yet, and we're still in good shape.

EDIT: More updates from Herm.

-Herm says he gave Mark a boot to wear yesteday to keep the foot from flexing too much, but he didn't need it today.

-Herm says Buehrle may have just pinched or irritated some soft tissue. They're optimistic.

Soxzilla
03-21-2005, 07:03 PM
Super-Speed Healing???

Further proof Burly-mon is not of this world.

http://cache.eonline.com/Reviews/Images90/h/90.hulk.051303.jpg=:burly ???

spawn
03-21-2005, 07:09 PM
Must be the 'roids!!!

JUribe1989
03-21-2005, 07:11 PM
WOW!! What a relief. This is such great news. Mark looked fine in that interview. I say we rest him the first start of the season then bring him back. How did this get better so fast?

spawn
03-21-2005, 07:14 PM
That's easy...

:herm

THE HERMINATOR!!!

JUribe1989
03-21-2005, 07:16 PM
That's easy...

:herm

THE HERMINATOR!!!

Best trainer in Major League Baseball. Thanks a ton Herm!

DaleJRFan
03-21-2005, 07:23 PM
Must be the 'roids!!!

He's a grinder. Grinders don't get hurt.

patbooyah
03-21-2005, 07:29 PM
:happybday to me! (a month or two early)

zach074
03-21-2005, 07:31 PM
Lets hope this is for real and tomorrow we won't be hearing that hes out for a month again.

jabrch
03-21-2005, 07:48 PM
That's the first good break the Sox have had in 2005. That's awesome. Now if they find out that Frank's foot is also 120% better, we will be STYLING!

A. Cavatica
03-21-2005, 07:58 PM
Is there where we trade him for David Wells?

beckett21
03-21-2005, 08:09 PM
Good to hear all the subsequent tests have been negative. This is a good sign. Not 100% conclusive, but certainly better than finding an obvious fracture.

Hairline or stress fractures can be invisible on x-ray, and may take a couple of weeks to actually show up. Sometimes they don't show up for a few weeks, until they actually start to heal. Bone scans can give an early indication of a stress fracture, but they are not definitive. Bone scans are very sensitive to injury, but nonspecific, meaning they can tell you if there is something abnormal in a certain area, but they can't tell you exactly what it is. Old injuries, arthritis, and infections can also give a positive result on a bone scan.

OTOH, if there was a conclusive break in the bone the MRI or CT scan should have shown something. An MRI or CT would give a more definitive diagnosis; they are much more specific for this type of injury.

I'm not a betting man and am keeping my fingers crossed, but hopefully this is good news. We'll see how he's doing in a few days. I wouldn't get too high or too low at this point, just wait and see how it plays out.

As for the suggestion of sending me out to AZ to give a second opinion, I can have my bags packed in 5 minutes! :redneck

OEO Magglio
03-21-2005, 08:19 PM
Good to hear all the subsequent tests have been negative. This is a good sign. Not 100% conclusive, but certainly better than finding an obvious fracture.

Hairline or stress fractures can be invisible on x-ray, and may take a couple of weeks to actually show up. Sometimes they don't show up for a few weeks, until they actually start to heal. Bone scans can give an early indication of a stress fracture, but they are not definitive. Bone scans are very sensitive to injury, but nonspecific, meaning they can tell you if there is something abnormal in a certain area, but they can't tell you exactly what it is. Old injuries, arthritis, and infections can also give a positive result on a bone scan.

OTOH, if there was a conclusive break in the bone the MRI or CT scan should have shown something. An MRI or CT would give a more definitive diagnosis; they are much more specific for this type of injury.

I'm not a betting man and am keeping my fingers crossed, but hopefully this is good news. We'll see how he's doing in a few days. I wouldn't get too high or too low at this point, just wait and see how it plays out.

As for the suggestion of sending me out to AZ to give a second opinion, I can have my bags packed in 5 minutes! :redneck

Beckett, if it was a fracture would there be anyway Mark would be walking without a limp?? Because it sounds like he's been walking around today.

Ol' No. 2
03-21-2005, 08:26 PM

As for the suggestion of sending me out to AZ to give a second opinion, I can have my bags packed in 5 minutes! :redneckThe early x-rays indicated a hairline fracture. Could you shed some light on how the x-ray might have indicated a fracture, yet the MRI was inconclusive? Also, what, exactly, does inconclusive mean? The x-rays could have been right? How do we interpret the conflicting results and which should be believed?

JUribe1989
03-21-2005, 08:34 PM
The mood was certainly very relaxed in the clubhouse with KW interviewing Buehrle. Anybody know if there are more developments as to when he will start throwing again? And he is officially day-to-day now.

TornLabrum
03-21-2005, 08:38 PM
:happybday to me! (a month or two early)

I came a couple of days late for me, but I also consider it my birthday present, too (as long as he doesn't wake up in pain tomorrow).

Spicoli
03-21-2005, 08:46 PM
This was just posted on Rotoworld.com

White Sox trainer Herm Schneider described Mark Buehrle's injury as a ''stress reaction'' but not a fracture. The left-hander still might be ready for Opening Day.
A CT scan indicated Buehrle apparently irritated a previous foot injury he was unaware of. ''Considering I can stand and walk on it, it is 120 percent better. I couldn't do that yesterday,'' Buehrle said. ''I came in today and everything was fine. I couldn't even tell there was anything wrong with my foot.'' Buehrle will miss at least one start. The White Sox should have a better idea about his status later this week.

Baby Fisk
03-21-2005, 08:57 PM
So... at the end of the day, did we all just waste a day obsessing over the thread about nothing? :?:

DaleJRFan
03-21-2005, 08:58 PM
I came a couple of days late for me, but I also consider it my birthday present, too (as long as he doesn't wake up in pain tomorrow).

Mark Buehrle's birthday is Wednesday.... he's getting old... 26...

PAPChiSox729
03-21-2005, 09:14 PM

Buehrle is injured AND 26!? Time for a youth movement.
:rolleyes:

beckett21
03-21-2005, 09:17 PM
The early x-rays indicated a hairline fracture. Could you shed some light on how the x-ray might have indicated a fracture, yet the MRI was inconclusive? Also, what, exactly, does inconclusive mean? The x-rays could have been right? How do we interpret the conflicting results and which should be believed?

Interpreting x-rays can be difficult. Sometimes you can see something in the bone which may be perfectly normal, yet when given a history of injury you will look at it with a more critical eye. Essentially, they probably saw something that looked like it could be a fracture, and erred on the side of caution given the fact that he was having pain in that area. In the absence of pain or trauma, something like that would probably go unnoticed unless there was a specific reason to look for it. Sometimes, striations in the cortex of the bone can look like a fracture, and again this is where *clinical correlation* comes into play. If there is reason to suspect a fracture, i.e. pain/swelling/injury to a site, then it is considered a fracture. If there are no clinical signs, then the same x-ray could be interpreted as negative--those striations could be perfectly normal.

Inconclusive means just that--it is not definitive. Not necessarily positive, but not necessarily negative either. Not black or white--gray.

The take-home point here is to treat the clinical symptoms. If there is pain and the x-rays/MRI/CT etc etc are *inconclusive,* meaning you are not 100% sure, treat it as a fracture just in case. If there is no pain, swelling or bruising--monitor closely but allow gradual return to activity. If it starts acting up again, then the suspicion increases and treatment (immobilization) is re-instituted. Serial x-rays are usually taken 2-3 weeks down the road, and that is usually when you will actually see a stress fracture. Most of the time, you treat them on suspicion as x rays often don't show them until they are healing.

As for OEO's point, he could concievably walk without a limp with a stress fracture, but there would probably be some pain involved. Not sure if he was wearing a walking boot at that time, I assume he was. If so, then it probably doesn't mean much either way. It is a good sign though.

The good news is that he is not reporting any pain. The test will be when he resumes workouts. If he experiences no pain, then we will know he is ok. They will have to go by how he says he feels at this point. Hopefully it was a false alarm, we'll see how he's doing in a week or so.

Lip Man 1
03-21-2005, 09:20 PM
The Tribune web site just has this story on Mark's condition from the A.P.:

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-050321soxbuehrle,1,3465714.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

Directly below it is another story from the A.P. on Thomas. In it he is quoted as saying that things aren't the same yet with his swing and that he expects to spend in his words, 'at least a month' at the training complex before 'starting a rehab assignment.'

Lip

TornLabrum
03-21-2005, 09:24 PM

Damn! What does that make ME? I turned 55 Saturday!

Baby Fisk
03-21-2005, 09:26 PM
The MRI on these tomatoes was inconclusive...

:tomatoaward:tomatoaward

beckett21
03-21-2005, 09:30 PM

:thud:

j/k...:happybday

My father's birthday was Saturday as well...58, so at least you got him beat!:redneck

TornLabrum
03-21-2005, 09:35 PM
:thud:

j/k...:happybday

My father's birthday was Saturday as well...58, so at least you got him beat!:redneck

Thanks, and it's good to know I'm younger than SOMEBODY!

Ol' No. 2
03-21-2005, 09:38 PM
Best situation right now is he skips the first week of the season and makes his first start on April 10 in Minnesota. With the off day on April 5 they wouldn't need a spot starter. If that's too soon, they have an off day on April 12, so if they use a spot starter on April 10, Buehrle could get in another week of rest before he was needed on April 17. That's almost 4 weeks of rest.

OEO Magglio
03-21-2005, 09:39 PM
Interpreting x-rays can be difficult. Sometimes you can see something in the bone which may be perfectly normal, yet when given a history of injury you will look at it with a more critical eye. Essentially, they probably saw something that looked like it could be a fracture, and erred on the side of caution given the fact that he was having pain in that area. In the absence of pain or trauma, something like that would probably go unnoticed unless there was a specific reason to look for it. Sometimes, striations in the cortex of the bone can look like a fracture, and again this is where *clinical correlation* comes into play. If there is reason to suspect a fracture, i.e. pain/swelling/injury to a site, then it is considered a fracture. If there are no clinical signs, then the same x-ray could be interpreted as negative--those striations could be perfectly normal.

Inconclusive means just that--it is not definitive. Not necessarily positive, but not necessarily negative either. Not black or white--gray.

The take-home point here is to treat the clinical symptoms. If there is pain and the x-rays/MRI/CT etc etc are *inconclusive,* meaning you are not 100% sure, treat it as a fracture just in case. If there is no pain, swelling or bruising--monitor closely but allow gradual return to activity. If it starts acting up again, then the suspicion increases and treatment (immobilization) is re-instituted. Serial x-rays are usually taken 2-3 weeks down the road, and that is usually when you will actually see a stress fracture. Most of the time, you treat them on suspicion as x rays often don't show them until they are healing.

As for OEO's point, he could concievably walk without a limp with a stress fracture, but there would probably be some pain involved. Not sure if he was wearing a walking boot at that time, I assume he was. If so, then it probably doesn't mean much either way. It is a good sign though.

The good news is that he is not reporting any pain. The test will be when he resumes workouts. If he experiences no pain, then we will know he is ok. They will have to go by how he says he feels at this point. Hopefully it was a false alarm, we'll see how he's doing in a week or so.

Gotcha, thanks for the info beckett.

HebrewHammer
03-21-2005, 10:38 PM
Super-Speed Healing???

Further proof Burly-mon is not of this world.

http://cache.eonline.com/Reviews/Images90/h/90.hulk.051303.jpg=:burly ???

I think you're on to something.

doublem23
03-21-2005, 10:54 PM
So... at the end of the day, did we all just waste a day obsessing over the thread about nothing? :?:

Not like this group to obsess about nothing, is it? :rolleyes:

spongyfungy
03-21-2005, 11:27 PM
Kenny Williams (posing as a Comcast reporter) was just interviewing Buehrle on Comcast and Buehrle said he's fine. He said yesterday he heard a pop while shagging fly balls, it hurt for a while then went away. He later took a nap and when he got up the pain was so bad he could hardly stand or walk. Today, he feels like nothing is wrong. He said he's now, "day to day."

BTW, it was humorous interview. When another reporter asked Mark what he thought of the General Manager, KW quickly walked away and said that was all for the report.

Video (http://home.comcast.net/%7Esungho.ko/kenny2.avi) 12megs

DaleJRFan
03-21-2005, 11:50 PM

REALLY OLD! :D:

Happy Belated Birthday!!
:happybday

DiGiSyKo
03-22-2005, 01:41 AM
Video (http://home.comcast.net/%7Esungho.ko/kenny2.avi) 12megs

Thanks for the video link... pretty funny. :D:

delben91
03-22-2005, 05:29 AM
Looks like the Tribune (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-050321soxbuehrle,1,3465714.story?coll=cs-whitesox-headlines) backs up the rotoworld account.

Give the man a week off and see what happens, but it looks like the best possible outcome folks.

Sad
03-22-2005, 06:54 AM
Bruce Levine this morning reported Kenny Williams saying it might not be as bad as first thought and may only be Day-to-Day...

:?:

Mickster
03-22-2005, 09:23 AM

Clement's Beard: What a difference a day makes, huh?

You are right about that karma thing, though. Looks like Borowski will be out up to 10 weeks. Bad karma! :cool:

twsoxfan5
03-22-2005, 06:45 PM
Clement's Beard: What a difference a day makes, huh?

You are right about that karma thing, though. Looks like Borowski will be out up to 10 weeks. Bad karma! :cool:

Very well put Mickster. I love it when a Cubs fan is put in his place, especially when he spends his time on The White Sox message boards instead of the Cubs site. Although I guess I can't blame him, I would want to spend time with us too.

PAPChiSox729
03-22-2005, 07:10 PM
Bruce Levine this morning reported Kenny Williams saying it might not be as bad as first thought and may only be Day-to-Day...

:?:

Lets hope so. McCarthy is good but Buehrle is our ace.

JUribe1989
03-22-2005, 07:18 PM
Lets hope so. McCarthy is good but Buehrle is our ace.

That's not new news with the day to day is it? I heard he had already started soft tossing.