PDA

View Full Version : What would you consider proper punishment??

SoxWillWin
03-21-2005, 03:12 AM
Now personally I am sick of this subject but I have one last thought on the MLB steroid policy before I put it out of my head before opening day. So here are my thoughts on proper punishments for testing positive for steroids.

Fisrt Offense: I think the 10 game suspension is fine, but they should give them 20 games without pay (just to make more of a financial impact, also playing 10 games for free might wake them up also), along with publishing of players name in the national media.

Second Offense: 2 year suspension, also all previous player stats REMOVED from the books. First off they shouldn't test positive twice, and if they do it's probably a safe bet that they have been doing it for a long time.

Third Offense: Lifetime ban from baseball.

These are just my thoughts on the matter. After all the point of setting punishments is to deter unwanted behavior. If I were a player I definately would not want to lose 20 games of pay and have my name pasted all over the media as a cheater.

StillMissOzzie
03-21-2005, 03:24 AM
Well, to be roughly comparable to the NFL, first violation costs you 4 games, or 25% of the season. Therefore, I think a one month suspension would not be out of line. Getting named as a juicer is pretty bad in and of itself, though, IMHO.

SMO
:gulp:

jordan23ventura
03-21-2005, 03:44 AM
Fisrt Offense: I think the 10 game suspension is fine, but they should give them 20 games without pay (just to make more of a financial impact, also playing 10 games for free might wake them up also), along with publishing of players name in the national media.

Second Offense: 2 year suspension, also all previous player stats REMOVED from the books. First off they shouldn't test positive twice, and if they do it's probably a safe bet that they have been doing it for a long time.

Third Offense: Lifetime ban from baseball.

First Offense: The player is suspended, without pay, for the next 162 games following the date he is proven guilty in a courtroom, as this is now a federal offense and Major League Baseball has no say whatsoever in the penalty. Additionally, if the player is in the middle of a contract at the point of conviction, the team he plays for can opt to void the contract and make him a free agent upon his return to baseball.

Second Offense: If it EVER got that far, which I don't think it would, that player is banned from the sport for five years and still receives whatever penalties that exist from the state.

Third offense: The player is banned from baseball.

I'd also say that this would be the appropriate time to induct Shoeless Joe and Pete Rose into the hall of fame. No records are removed, no asterisks appear next to anyone. All anyone has to do is read the player bio.

MUsoxfan
03-21-2005, 09:42 AM
First Offense: The player is suspended, without pay, for the next 162 games following the date he is proven guilty in a courtroom, as this is now a federal offense and Major League Baseball has no say whatsoever in the penalty. Additionally, if the player is in the middle of a contract at the point of conviction, the team he plays for can opt to void the contract and make him a free agent upon his return to baseball.

Second Offense: If it EVER got that far, which I don't think it would, that player is banned from the sport for five years and still receives whatever penalties that exist from the state.

I'd also say that this would be the appropriate time to induct Shoeless Joe and Pete Rose into the hall of fame. No records are removed, no asterisks appear next to anyone. All anyone has to do is read the player bio.

I agree with everything you said until the last paragraph. Shoeless Joe and Charlie Hustle already had their day in the MLB court. Time to move onto the future, and that future includes getting roids out of the game

Ol' No. 2
03-21-2005, 11:33 AM

I'd also say that this would be the appropriate time to induct Shoeless Joe and Pete Rose into the hall of fame. No records are removed, no asterisks appear next to anyone. All anyone has to do is read the player bio.A 5-year ban is, in practice, tantamount to a lifetime ban. I'd go with the IOC guidelines. 1 year for the first offense, lifetime for the second.

FarWestChicago
03-21-2005, 10:01 PM
I'd go with the IOC guidelines. 1 year for the first offense, lifetime for the second.That would be 2 years for the first offense, life for the second. And that would be appropriate.

duderanch420
03-21-2005, 10:15 PM
I think 10 days is not long enough. It has to be long enough to get the steroids out of his system.

Norberto7
03-21-2005, 10:32 PM
That would be 2 years for the first offense, life for the second. And that would be appropriate.

Seems fair. Has some real bite to it. Grrrr.