PDA

View Full Version : ST Roster battles

ChiWhiteSox1337
03-21-2005, 01:20 AM
As we quickly approach opening day, the roster has to be trimmed down to 25 players. There are two big battles going on right now for 2 roster spots in my opinion. Those two battles being lefties Kevin Walker and Neal Cotts for a spot in the bullpen, and Pablo Ozuna and Willie Harris for the bench utility man. While it's very possible that the Sox could keep 3 of the players because of Frank Thomas being injured, I'm not Ozzie Guillen so I'm not the one who ultimately makes the decisions.

Kevin Walker has been pretty impressive this spring, not allowing an earned run and only giving up 1 hit in six innings of work. However, he hasn't had much success in the majors since 2000. As for Neal Cotts, if you only look at his ERA last season, you'd get the wrong impression. He was able to come in and get out of jams, but his ERA skyrocketed because of Mike "Thriller" Jackson's inability to keep inherited runners from scoring.

Pablo Ozuna is making an impressive case to make the roster because he can play 3b, SS, and 2b. While I don't know how well he is defensively, but the ability to play 3 positions is great and it's a lot more than Willie can offer. Also, the thing that really jumps out is Ozuna's average of .500 compared to Willie Harris' ST average of .179. While we know this is only spring training, everyone knows that Willie Harris is a very streaky hitter and he can get into some awful slumps. This is one case where spring training stats do matter, because both of the players are battling it out for a roster spot, and if you aren't trying your hardest, you just don't deserve to be on the team.

So who do you think should make the team?

I like Ozuna, mainly because Willie Harris STILL hasn't shown the ability to step it up with the acquisition of Tadahito Iguchi. I'm gonna go with Kevin Walker mainly because I think it'd be great if the White Sox could get Neal Cotts back to being a starter down in AAA-Charlotte.

jordan23ventura
03-21-2005, 02:25 AM
Ozuna and Walker. They have been earning it and it's not as if we couldn't call up someone to replace them if one faltered.
I don't think the bullpen is going to struggle all that much, but I think it would be benficial to carry an extra pitcher for the start just to make sure the bullpen doesn't work to much if El Duque and Contreras need to get stretched out. Besides, we already have some versatility on this team. Gload can back up PK or DH to give an OF a day off, Pods can cover CF for Aaron, Dye/Pods/Everett can be a rotating LF, RF, DH, with Timo off the bench, Uribe can play 3B, 2B, or SS, Ozuna and Iguchi can play 2B or SS, so all in all I don't really think we need anything more off the bench. Then, when Frank comes back, you send down the reliever who is performing the poorest.

Mohoney
03-24-2005, 03:04 PM
Tuesday's outing aside, Kevin Walker has looked WAY better than Neal Cotts this Spring. Neal Cotts can't throw strikes, it's just that simple.

CHISOXFAN13
03-24-2005, 03:19 PM
Walker is getting hit hard again today.

Ol' No. 2
03-24-2005, 03:29 PM
I cheated and voted for three, because three of them will make the team, at least until Frank Thomas returns. Cotts has walked a lot more batters, but still has allowed half the ER that Walker has. With the small number of IP that each has it's a crapshoot either way.

CPditka
03-24-2005, 03:30 PM
Here's the roster as I see it, let me know if I forgot something, or you disagree.

1B - Konerko
2B - Iguchi
SS - Uribe
3B- Crede
LF - Rowand
CF - Podsednik
Rf - Dye
C - Pierzynski
C (backup)- ?????
DH - Everett
SP - Buehrle
SP - Garcia
SP - El Duque
SP- Contreras
SP- Garland
RP -Takatsu
RP- Marte
RP- Politte
RP- Hermanson
RP - Viscanio
RP- ????

19 "starters" in place
so 6 spots left over - 5 after Frank comes up -

Generally Agreed will make the team
1. Gload
2. Davis (unless traded) we will keep Widger or Burke
3. Timo

Arguable (in order, my ranking)
1. Walker
2. Ozuna
----------------------
3a. Harris (keep on Sox Roster and hopefully,trade for pitching prospects)
3b. If Buehrle cant go, keep BMac for the time being

Down to the Farm, cut, or trade for prospects
Adkins, Cotts, Borchard, Widger, Burke

DaleJRFan
03-24-2005, 03:37 PM
Walker and Ozuna...

Did Walker's schalacking at the hands of Seattle limit the odds of him travelling north with the team? He has looked pretty good outside of that one bad outing and as well all know, not everyone can be lights out all the time!

Davis is the backup catcher... they won't trade him. Who'd want him? With that salary, its doubtful he will be moved. Too bad. Burke is much better.

bafiarocks03
03-24-2005, 03:45 PM
WILLIE HARRIS AND NEAL COTTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!:bandance:

Mickster
03-24-2005, 03:46 PM
Pablo Ozuna and Kevin Walker!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bandance:

PAPChiSox729
03-24-2005, 08:47 PM
I think that Ozuna deserves to make this team. I don't see what more this guy could do to prove himself. We really do need a backup infielder, and I don't see anyone that is more deserving then Ozuna.

BridgePortNative
03-24-2005, 09:15 PM
You guys should know already that Neal Cotts is already on the 25-man roster.

There is only 1 place open if we choose to keep Willie. The people fighting for this spot as follow: Chris Widger, Jamie Burke, Pablo Ozuna, John Adkins, Wilson Valdez, and Kevin Walker. This is gonna be a hard decision.

fuzzy_patters
03-24-2005, 10:36 PM
You guys should know already that Neal Cotts is already on the 25-man roster.

There is only 1 place open if we choose to keep Willie. The people fighting for this spot as follow: Chris Widger, Jamie Burke, Pablo Ozuna, John Adkins, Wilson Valdez, and Kevin Walker. This is gonna be a hard decision.

I agree, Bridgeport. That is why I did not participate in the poll. There are more than four players fighting to make the team.

For example, Valdez is as good a choice as Harris and Ozuna, but he is not on the poll. From what I have seen this spring, Ozuna and Harris have hit Valdez, but neither has looked very smooth when asked to play shortstop. Valdez, on the other hand, reminds me of Ozzie in that he is a free swinger but is very smooth with the glove. I would not be surprised to see Valdez make the team because his ability to play short allows Uribe to move to second or third giving you options at all three positions.

Burke is another interesting option. He hit over .300 each of the last 2 years in late season call-ups, and he is hitting over .340 this spring. Yet, he is always forced to earn his spot. Perhaps the Sox should give him some more time to prove it has not been a fluke. It does not seem like he can do much more to prove his worth than he already has.

HomeFish
03-24-2005, 11:31 PM
Ozuna. I haven't been this excited about a prospect (if he can be called that) in years.

santo=dorf
03-25-2005, 12:13 AM
Ozuna. I haven't been this excited about a prospect (if he can be called that) in years.

Weren't you whining about the loss of Olivo? :rolleyes:

I recall you trolling in the gameday thread of Freddy's debut.
Oh look, a young catcher with power. Why don't the Sox have one of those.... :whiner:
:troll
:rolleyes:

HomeFish
03-25-2005, 11:03 AM
Weren't you whining about the loss of Olivo? :rolleyes:

Yes; I did not think that the Sox could swing a contract extension with Garcia, and I thought that Olivo for half a year of Garcia when the Sox were unlikely to make the playoffs was a bad trade.

Once the contract extension got signed, I came to regard the trade as good.

As for Olivo, however, I was not really a big fan of his until he came up here, so I can't say that he was a prospect I was excited about. He didn't excite me until he was a full-time MLBer.

mweflen
03-25-2005, 11:11 AM
The conservative guess is Harris and Cotts. If Ozuna or Walker make the team, I'd be shocked (but not necessarily dismayed).

Davis should be traded - I like him fine, but how he got $1 mil is beyond me. Widger would be a better backup.

CPditka
03-26-2005, 03:41 AM
trade a catcher for prospects, not named AJ, please!

A. Cavatica
03-26-2005, 11:11 AM
I think we'll go with 11 pitchers, not including Walker (barring injury or trading away another reliever).

I think Ozuna's made the team. He can be the primary backup at 3B/SS/2B and it looks like he can swing the bat a little.

Burke's only shot of making it is if Davis is hurt. Burke's also got a chance if Ozuna doesn't make it, because he can be the emergency 3B, but I don't think that will happen.

I think Gload's made the team, based on last year's performance, but a purely lefty 1B who (1) doesn't have Greg Walker's power and (2) doesn't have Mike Squires' glove is a luxury. He can't get lazy.

I think Valdez has failed to make the team, options notwithstanding. The Sox can probably re-sign him anyway.

So that's 12 position players: Pierzynski, Davis or Burke, Konerko, Gload, Iguchi, Uribe, Crede, Ozuna, Dye, Rowand, Podsednik, and Everett (with Thomas on the DL). Two more spots to fill, with the candidates being Perez, Harris, and Borchard.

I think we all agree that based on last year's performance, Perez should make the team -- but I would not be stunned to see him go. If Harris makes the team, he can be the third CF (Podsednik can move over as the second CF) and Borchard can play any OF spot. And as much as I've dogged Borchard, it's hard to imagine that he could be a worse hitter than Timo.

It's more likely that Timo and Willie will both make the team, but that leaves us with no power on the bench at all, and not enough righthanded bats. As a switch-hitter, Borchard is more versatile.

CPditka
03-30-2005, 12:46 PM
trade a catcher for prospects, not named AJ, please!

Hate to say I told you so.... so long Big Ben. Good luck where ever you go.