PDA

View Full Version : Should Sox bring McCarthy North?

NSSoxFan
03-21-2005, 01:53 AM
What do you guys think?

I say no. Put him in AA and give him 20 or so starts and let him develop his pitches.

Frater Perdurabo
03-21-2005, 09:13 AM
If Buehrle is out for more than 2 weeks, I think its almost a done deal McCarthy comes north as the #5.

Mickster
03-21-2005, 09:14 AM
Moot point. Buehrle is injured. BMac will most likely be on the 25 man roster come opening day.

Tekijawa
03-21-2005, 09:24 AM
I would have to think with Mark going down that he'll be our fifth... What will be really interesting to see is what they do if he kills up here for a few weeks until Buehrle comes back!

hellenicsoxfan
03-21-2005, 09:44 AM
Tom Shaer and Bruce Levine on WMVP just reported that with Buehrle's injury, McCarthy is now in the rotation.

A. Cavatica
03-21-2005, 10:37 AM
After hearing that Buehrle injured his foot, I voted yes.

shoota
03-21-2005, 11:48 AM
Since a team can't go to a 4-man rotation to start a season, and Buehrle's out with a broken foot, combined with Big Mac's dominance, YES! Call him up.

And the team better not jerk him around with sporadic starts like they did to fifth starters in the past. Every man in the rotation pitches his turn. NO SHUFFLING!

DrCrawdad
03-21-2005, 11:51 AM
I had not voted on this poll until today, after the news of Buehrle's injury. Now there is no question, bring the kid up, unless he gets tatooed his last few starts in ST.

Baby Fisk
03-21-2005, 11:53 AM
I had not voted on this poll until today, after the news of Buehrle's injury. Now there is no question, bring the kid up, unless he gets tatooed his last few starts in ST.
Even then, I'd rather go with B-Mac in the 5 hole instead of Hermanson. Funny: "NO" was winning this poll with like 90% until a couple of hours ago.

Frater Perdurabo
03-21-2005, 12:26 PM
All this slobbering over McCarthy is reminding me of the drooling over Jeremy Reed. Remember when Jeff Liefer led the MLB in spring training home runs several years ago?

As well as McCarthy has performed, he's still an unproven rookie. Any scenario in which McCarthy has to come north is not a good situation, IMHO, because it means something negative happened to one of the veteran starters (Buehrle injury, injury to another veteran starter, Garland/Contreras performing horribly).

To be perfectly clear, I'm ecstatic the Sox seem to have a legitimate starting pitching prospect and that he has performed so well, but let's not anoint McCarthy as Cooperstown-bound just yet, and let's not jump for joy because he will head north prematurely.

DaleJRFan
03-21-2005, 12:58 PM
All this slobbering over McCarthy is reminding me of the drooling over Jeremy Reed. Remember when Jeff Liefer led the MLB in spring training home runs several years ago?

Jeff Liefer never stuck out Vlad Guerrero swinging on a high fastball. Then again, he's not even a pitcher. :rolleyes:

JKryl
03-21-2005, 01:25 PM
The Sox have screwed up a number of players recently (Garland, Crede) by bringing them up too early. It smelled of desperation then and it has the same odor now. If the kid comes up and gets clobbered, it could set him back at least a year. Let's see how long it takes for Mark to heal first.

Randar68
03-21-2005, 01:37 PM
What do you guys think?

I say no. Put him in AA and give him 20 or so starts and let him develop his pitches.

This appears to be a moot point with Mark going down for 6 weeks...

He'll be in the rotation the first week on the season, or so it appears.

shoota
03-21-2005, 01:44 PM
The Sox have screwed up a number of players recently (Garland, Crede) by bringing them up too early. It smelled of desperation then and it has the same odor now. If the kid comes up and gets clobbered, it could set him back at least a year. Let's see how long it takes for Mark to heal first.

That's a completely false statement about Crede. He was kept down in the minors longer than expected.

I see your point though, he does play like a minor leaguer.

duke of dorwood
03-21-2005, 01:50 PM
Yes-dont weaken a strong point, our bullpen, by putting Hermanson in rotation

I want Mags back
03-21-2005, 04:28 PM
I wouldnt mind seeing him (or actually I prefer he doesnt get ito games) as the long outing reliever

OEO Magglio
03-21-2005, 04:31 PM
I wanted Brandon to start in Charlotte but the sox have to bring him north now. He's to special and he's the best option we've got right now to send him down when Mark is out. If and when Brandon impresses up here, he might not let the sox send him back down, then kenny will have a good problem to work with but that would be interesting.

JUribe1989
03-21-2005, 04:37 PM
Time for B-Mac to step it up. This is his shot. Keep us in it until Mark is back. Anybody know when Mark will be back?

Cubsuck_a_lot
03-21-2005, 05:39 PM

also, neal cotts in his debut against the Yankees IN New York. yet another example of Too Sooners.

chisox06
03-21-2005, 06:47 PM
Time for B-Mac to step it up. This is his shot. Keep us in it until Mark is back. Anybody know when Mark will be back?

Looks like he will be out 4-6 weeks, probably closer to 6 to make sure hes completely healthy.

PAPChiSox729
03-21-2005, 06:56 PM
Obviously now, it is yes. If Buehrle were not injured, then I would say send McCarthy to AA. But he has shown he is capable to pitch in the majors, so put him as our number 5.

zach074
03-21-2005, 07:03 PM
I think we don't have any other choice now, I just hope its not too early for him to be in the big leagues.

chez742002
03-21-2005, 10:25 PM
Buerhle's injury was a mistake, a ct scan showed an aggrivation of a prior injury, not a stress fracture. So send him down, let him chill and dominate some more, so he gets even more hungry to stay in the big leagues for good. He is only 21, so lets not get ahead of ourselves. We do not want another Kerry Wood, who gets injured every year. Make sure he cannot get any better mechanically or physically stronger before you stress the living hell out of his arm with pro hitters. Also the faster we let him up, the less options we have if he is not ready. On top of that, he will reach arbitration faster if he comes up and he is not ready and we have to send him back down!!!

Hers to Herm Schneider, even if he had nothing to do with this!! So drink up to Buerhle!!!!:gulp:

doublem23
03-21-2005, 11:50 PM
Since a team can't go to a 4-man rotation to start a season, and Buehrle's out with a broken foot, combined with Big Mac's dominance, YES! Call him up.

Why can't a team go with a 4-man rotation, especially considering the Sox have so many off days to open up the season. Giving everyone proper rest, the 5th starter wouldn't need to make a start until April 18th at the Cell against the Twins (13 games and 2 weeks into the season), then again April 23rd at Kansas City and then could be skipped again until May 8th, when the Sox are at Toronto, all without asking anyone else to ever have to pitch on less than 4 days rest.