PDA

View Full Version : The Case For Brandon McCarthy

infohawk
03-20-2005, 08:20 PM
I will risk drawing the ire of the mods for beginning another thread about Brandon McCarthy's prospects for beginning the season in the Sox starting rotation.

Watching today's game has convinced me that I have seen enough. It would be bordering on irresponsibility not to slot McCarthy as the 5th starter to open the season. This kid is a rookie-of-the-year candidate. He is poised, mature, locates with incredible command and knows how to approach hitters. He is flat-out dominating.

I was looking forward to seeing Garland moved down to the 5th spot. Surely his twelve annual wins and decent, although not spectacular, ERA would be welcomed in what has become a traditional black hole for the Sox. Nothing against Garland, but McCarthy is the pitcher with the better upside.

Before I came to the conclusion that McCarthy should join the rotation immediately, I took comfort in knowing that he was just a phone call away in the minors in the event a starter went down. This kind of depth has been lacking in past seasons. It would border on insanity to make an insurance policy out of the guy who has thus far statistically outperformed all of the other starters. An organization seeking to win throws its best pitchers against the competition. You don't slot a guy as dominating as McCarthy into a minor league rotation when he is arguably better than more than one of your major league starters. What comes to mind is how the Twins waited and waited before finally allowing Santana to start. Look what happened when they finally realized that he was better utilized as a starter than a reliever. Different scenario, but same principle.

What do we do with Garland? I would put him in the bullpen in place of either Adkins or Cotts. Whomever of the two is sent down should be stretched out to become the insurance policy. Garland has the potential to bolster this team tremendously out of the bullpen. I'd rather see him there than either Adkins or Cotts.

Some may argue that Garland "deserves" to be in the rotation. Why? Because he has more experience? We know what he can do. He would be a solid but unspectacular fifth starter. McCarthy's upside is just to great to ignore. He could be a fifth starter who pitches like a number one or two.

I would be open to considering McCarthy replacing Contreras in the rotation. As with Garland, Contreras could then be moved to the bullpen. I'm still not convinced that Contreras won't be a dominant pitcher. He has control issues, but shows the flashes of brilliance and raw "stuff" that I don't see out of Garland. Contreras would make an awful lot of money for a reliever, but I still think the only argument that should ever matter is effectiveness.

Again, nothing against Garland. While I'm comfortable with him as the fifth starter, McCarthy's potential and ability excites me. He appears to have nothing more to prove in the minors. He is the reigning strikeout leader and has devastating control of at least three pitches. The Sox have what appears to be a tough decision to make. I don't think that the decision is really that difficult. With one move, the Sox could upgrade both the starting rotation and the bullpen. I sincerely hope they do.

Am I wrong?

Dub25
03-20-2005, 08:31 PM
I think McCarthy should start the season in the minors to stay sharp for when Contreras walks 7 batters a game and pitches himself out of the rotation.

balke
03-20-2005, 08:31 PM
You don't slot a guy as dominating as McCarthy into a minor league rotation when he is arguably better than more than one of your major league starters. What comes to mind is how the Twins waited and waited before finally allowing Santana to start. Look what happened when they finally realized that he was better utilized as a starter than a reliever. Different scenario, but same principle.

Look what happened when the Twins had patience with thier pitcher, and waited a year to put him out as a starter? CY YOUNG.

This should have been added to the other B-Mac thread. The sox have depth, we don't trade Contreras now, we don't send down Garland, we don't do anything. His time will come. I'm just as hungry as you, but if it costs 1-3 bad outings from a current starter to wait and bring B-Mac up, I'm all for it. We'll see how our pitchers perform with their jobs on the line, and WON'T SLAP THEM IN THE FACE BY STARTING A MINOR LEAGUER IN FRONT OF THEM BEFORE THEY HAD A CHANCE TO PITCH THIS SEASON. Just a little patience. We will see him soon.

DVsoxfan
03-20-2005, 08:34 PM
Look what happened when the Twins had patience with thier pitcher, and waited a year to put him out as a starter? CY YOUNG.

This should have been added to the other B-Mac thread. The sox have depth, we don't trade Contreras now, we don't send down Garland, we don't do anything. His time will come. I'm just as hungry as you, but if it costs 1-3 bad outings from a current starter to wait and bring B-Mac up, I'm all for it. We'll see how our pitchers perform with their jobs on the line, and WON'T SLAP THEM IN THE FACE BY STARTING A MINOR LEAGUER IN FRONT OF THEM BEFORE THEY HAD A CHANCE TO PITCH THIS SEASON. Just a little patience. We will see him soon.

I second that...people talk like this is his only chance. Sure hes gonna be great, but we got time. He's 21 years old, hes not going anywhere

SoxxoS
03-20-2005, 08:38 PM
You mean Neal Cotts and Danny Wright weren't solid insurance policies?

Contreras is making the big money and has had success in the majors and is a veteran. It's very possible that he can pitch his way out of the rotation and/or El Duque will get hurt...But as of right now, neither has happened. BMAC will get his chance soon enough. Let him stay fresh in Charlotte and be waiting for the phone call.

Fredsox
03-20-2005, 08:50 PM
I agree with the comments that caution patience and letting events unfold naturally. We do have a significant investment in Hernandez and Contreras, we owe it to ourselves to see if they can fulfill expectations.

KW and OG have been crystall clear: they are committed to winning and they will not suffer any prolonged lack of production by anyone, including the starting staff. I think we need to give the season 25 games or so and let's see where we sit then.

Shorty1983
03-20-2005, 09:04 PM
http://www.freebirdssoaring.com/fsmag0702/ofs/MrMiyagi.jpg

"Patience Daniel son"

ChiSoxJay
03-20-2005, 09:05 PM
I agree. Let Contreras, El Duque, and Garland each have a couple starts before trying to replace them. It feels great knowing that we have a plan B if one of these guys gets hurt or is ineffective.

PAPChiSox729
03-20-2005, 09:31 PM
I expect that El Duque will probably get tired during the middle of the season, so we will likely see McCarthy up here (just not at the start of the season). Even though I think he is ready, he should be kept in the minors as a backup starter if one of the guys gets injured or traded.

kittle42
03-20-2005, 09:32 PM
It would be foolish to use McCarthy now. I echo the sentiments of the other posters in this thread. It is nice to know we have 5 starters and a great insurance policy in AAA.

Daver
03-20-2005, 09:59 PM
I am going to try and keep this simple.

Last season the Sox got one win out of the fifth starter spot.

Garland recorded 14 wins last season.

Flight #24
03-20-2005, 10:24 PM

Yeah, but he's the insufferable, frustrating Jon Garland, so stats & actual performance be damned - we need to dump him for a bag of balls and rush possibly our best prospect since Frank Thomas........

jake27
03-20-2005, 10:40 PM
i agree with infohawk... but dont want to type all my reasons on it again. if you want to read them go to...
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=46815
ill just add one more thing, people are saying "oh hes too young" and things of that nature. but it the white sox didnt get el duque, these same people who think hes too young would want him as the #5 starter this year, so that arguement doesnt make and sense to me. newho im not going off on a tagent so if you want my opinion, read the thread above.

rainbow6
03-20-2005, 11:15 PM
I suppose I'll complicate things and point out that Garland didn't record 14 wins last season - he won 12. Still a valid point...

I think it would be safe to assume that McCarthy will be called-up by May...

Luke

[QUOTE]

Garland recorded 14 wins last season

jordan23ventura
03-20-2005, 11:27 PM
Per MLB.com:

"The only thing I could say is we might go with six starters. New York did it, so we could," Guillen added with a laugh. "Right now, my rotation is set up. I'm happy with what I have."

McCarthy is going to AAA, but he's not going to be there very long.

wsoxfan
03-21-2005, 12:07 AM
I just found out that one of my roomates friends knows and grew up with Brandon McCarthy so I'm gonna try and get at least an autograph or something....:bandance:

wdelaney72
03-21-2005, 09:50 AM
Yes, McCarthy looks to be great, but he's only 21. I don't want this kid screwed up. He needs more time.

balke
03-21-2005, 09:54 AM
Brandon sounds like he's got his head on straight, and a tough guy attitude. He's oozing with confidence. I don't want to see Hermanson Starting any games. I'm ready to concede a spot to B-mac. He's earned it, and he's no softy in the head. He made Vlad look ridiculous yesterday.

I'm ready if you all are.

Mickster
03-21-2005, 10:23 AM

Actually, Garland has won 12 games the last 3 seasons.

mealfred13
03-21-2005, 10:25 AM
I think the case is closed anyway. Buehrle's out for at least 1 start with his little foot injury.....sonofa. Either BMac gets the callup, or we're conceding a loss already.

owensmouth
03-21-2005, 04:20 PM
What's the matter with starting a guy who's 21? Some people are ready at that age. Some aren't ready when they're 33.

Mark Buehrle was the same age, 21, when he got brought up in 2000.

He can get his experience in the majors just as well as he can the minors.

The best pitching coach in the Sox organization is Don Cooper. As Cooper said a couple of days ago, he doesn't know what to tell McCarthy to work on to prepare for the majors... he's already at a major league level.

What makes everyone think that B Mac should be the number 5 starter? At worst right now, he's the number 3.

MisterB
03-21-2005, 05:32 PM
What makes everyone think that B Mac should be the number 5 starter? At worst right now, he's the number 3.

No, at worst he should be back in AA. At BEST he's the #3 (If Buehrle is on the DL.) I just pray that he can live up to fraction of the hype you guys are laying on him.