PDA

View Full Version : Two from the Central this year??

Jurr
03-20-2005, 06:17 PM
Could this be the year that we finally see two Central teams in the playoffs?
Boston's favored to make the Wild Card, but their pitching could definitely fall off the map. I personally think that two from the West are going with Texas and the Angels. Texas really has pitching issues, though, and they might not go, either. The two contenders from the Central have good defense, good pitching, and a decent offense. They could both put up 90 wins or more. It will be fun to watch.
What do you guys think?

balke
03-20-2005, 06:27 PM
I highly doubt it.

TDog
03-20-2005, 06:48 PM
Could this be the year that we finally see two Central teams in the playoffs? ...

In 2000, Cleveland nearly made it into the playoffs as the wild card. The White Sox had the league's best record, but at the end of the season, Seattle and Cleveland were playing he best baseball.

With an unbalanced schedule, the wild card is more unpredictable than ever. anyone who picks a wild card in March is just guessing.

Banix12
03-20-2005, 06:54 PM
Because of the unbalanced schedule usually the wild card gets dictated on who gets to beat up on bad teams more. That's why Boston would be favored. Because the Central is probably going to be very competitive, I doubt a central team gets in. We're gonna be beating each other up so much.

jordan23ventura
03-20-2005, 06:57 PM
Could this be the year that we finally see two Central teams in the playoffs?
Boston's favored to make the Wild Card, but their pitching could definitely fall off the map. I personally think that two from the West are going with Texas and the Angels. Texas really has pitching issues, though, and they might not go, either. The two contenders from the Central have good defense, good pitching, and a decent offense. They could both put up 90 wins or more. It will be fun to watch.
What do you guys think?

Boston's starting staff is highly overrated. Look at this: Schilling-Wells-Clement-Wakefield-Miller/Arroyo. Injury, age, injury, solid, injury, potential. Come on. The Yanks dominate that division even with Boston's run support (which won't be very effective against a rotation of RJ-Mussina-Pavano-Brown-Wright). Toronto will be slightly better than last year and Baltimore will be improved, IMO, and so will Tampa Bay via addition by subtraction. All in all, Boston will still finish second but they could fall just enough for someone else to come in and grab that wildcard spot.

I honestly would be surprised if the wildcard came out of the AL Central though because the division isn't as weak as it has been the past few years. Detriot and Cleveland will be in a dogfight for third and IMO constantly nipping at whoever is in second place. KC is going to be garbage again.

Meanwhile, over in the AL West, LAAA dominates the division. I have Texas grabbing the wildcard with a darkhorse of Billy Beane's A's. When I look into my crystal ball I see Seattle sucking again. No pitching.

doublem23
03-20-2005, 06:59 PM
No.

samram
03-20-2005, 07:25 PM
No. Boston and New York will be in. They'll spend enough to make sure of that.

CleeFan101
03-20-2005, 07:25 PM
its possible but for it to happen one of us, the tribe, or the twins have to falter which very much so can happen.

Twins if Santana goes down they go down... they can survive w/o anyone else.

White Sox if ozzie ball doesnt turn out to be what ozzie claims it will... also Contreras and/or El Duque must show up or were doomed.

Cleveland have to prove last year wasnt a fluke.

so while it isnt probable it could happen if one of us falter. Detroit is overated and KC is horrible again.
As for the yanks and red sox both teams arent as great as their cracked up to be especially the yanks whose avg age is like 35...:gulp:
My best bet is it comes from AL West with the angels being one and any of the other 3 being the other.

Lip Man 1
03-20-2005, 09:27 PM
In a word...no.

Barring a disaster like a plane crash, the Red Sox, Yankees and Angels are as certain as you can get in a game played by human beings.

Until a number of teams in the Central can match them talent-wise, it's going to remain one club and one club only.

Lip

fquaye149
03-21-2005, 05:27 AM
boston COULD surprise a lot of people by not being all that good.

Although I doubt it.

wdelaney72
03-21-2005, 08:58 AM
In a word...no.

Barring a disaster like a plane crash, the Red Sox, Yankees and Angels are as certain as you can get in a game played by human beings.

Until a number of teams in the Central can match them talent-wise, it's going to remain one club and one club only.

Lip

Completely agree.

MUsoxfan
03-21-2005, 09:02 AM
It will be the East.....again. In my eyes, the Central is more likely than the West to have 2 teams this year, but the Sox should not have "Wild Card" cross their minds once this year.