PDA

View Full Version : Mets plug rotation hole...deal w/Dodgers for Ishii

Baby Fisk
03-20-2005, 04:54 PM
Trachsel went down last week. Mets GM Omar Minaya seems like a man of action. Mets dealt catcher Jason Phillips to the Dodgers for Kaz Ishii.

linky (http://www.tsn.ca/mlb/news_story.asp?ID=119058&hubName=mlb)

The Mets traded for Ishii to fill the void created when they lost Steve Trachsel to a back injury this spring. Trachsel, who made 33 starts for New York last season, had surgery Saturday to repair a herniated disc and will miss at least three to six months.

Ishii will step into the No. 5 spot in the rotation behind Pedro Martinez, Tom Glavine, Kris Benson and Victor Zambrano.

Ishii went 13-8 with a 4.71 ERA in 31 starts last season for Los Angeles. Often erratic, he walked 98 batters in 172 innings. He is 36-25 with a 4.30 ERA in three seasons with the Dodgers since coming over from Japan.

JUribe1989
03-20-2005, 05:26 PM
Trachsel went down last week. Mets GM Omar Minaya seems like a man of action. Mets dealt catcher Jason Phillips to the Dodgers for Kaz Ishii.

linky (http://www.tsn.ca/mlb/news_story.asp?ID=119058&hubName=mlb)

Wow I thought the Mets would be terrible, now I think a staff of:
1. Pedro
2. Glavine
3. Benson
4. Zambrano
5. Ishii
is looking pretty darn good.

PAPChiSox729
03-20-2005, 06:00 PM
1. Pedro
2. Glavine
3. Benson
4. Zambrano
5. Ishii

I don't know. I don't think that staff will do well. I just don't think Zambrano and Ishii are very quality pitchers. Glavine is getting old. Maybe it is because this is the Mets we are talking about.

Banix12
03-20-2005, 06:51 PM
This is a pretty good deal for both teams, Phillips is a decent catcher with a bit of pop who didn't have anywhere to play in New York, especially with Piazza likely moving back to Catcher. He's a offensive upgrade over Bako and Ross for the dodgers. New York needed another pitcher and Ishii should do pretty well at the pitchers park that is Shea. For a fifth starter, you can do worse than Ishii.

Sure the mets pitching is old, but they get a boost from playing their home games at Shea. They should be fine if they can find some relief pitching. Though they traded for Felix Heredia this offseason so they obviously have no interest in winning anything.

doublem23
03-20-2005, 06:59 PM
1. Pedro
2. Glavine
3. Benson
4. Zambrano
5. Ishii

If only the Mets could lure some sucker team to take Victor Zambrano and replace him with a stud youngster, I'd agree.

:rolleyes:

MUsoxfan
03-20-2005, 07:16 PM
If only the Mets could lure some sucker team to take Victor Zambrano and replace him with a stud youngster, I'd agree.

Zambrano is the #1 pitcher on that staff. The Mets would be fools to get rid of him. Wait....that's just the fantasy owner in me talking

doublem23
03-21-2005, 01:16 AM
Zambrano is the #1 pitcher on that staff. The Mets would be fools to get rid of him. Wait....that's just the fantasy owner in me talking

Not a bad fantasy option as long as there's no way the walks would hurt you (BB, WHIP, K/BB, etc.)

WhiteSoxFan84
03-21-2005, 01:26 AM
INSTANT contender..... to be a .500 team.

fquaye149
03-21-2005, 05:25 AM
i may have to amend my statement. now they will be competing for 2nd, not 3rd

Brian26
03-21-2005, 12:11 PM
What's amazing is that the Dodgers won their division last year but DePodesta has completely revamped the team....half the team is gone.

Tekijawa
03-21-2005, 12:40 PM

I wonder if they would trade Zambrano for Scott Kazmir? Wait, that would be the the dumbest trade since the Kazmir for Victor Zambrano trade last year!

MHOUSE
03-23-2005, 03:33 AM
Minaya has to be on of the worst GMs. Sure he makes big headlines and throws around money, but look at the Washington Redskins. Same concept, same results. Pedro seems to be ailing, Beltran gets a Boras payday for his career year and playoffs, Kaz Matsui and Jose Reyes can't decide where to play, Ishii didn't know if he wanted to be good or bad last year, Zambrano can't help but put guys on base, and then to top it off pays Kris Benson so much for his outstanding almost-.500 career record that he ups the price of a mid-rotation starter to 3 years/$22+ million. Thanks Omar!

I do like Jason Phillips though, he's fun to watch. Go DePodesta. If you told me last year that he could trade LoDuca, Mota, Ishii, and Green, but still look like he was going to win the division I'd have said you were nuts.

MeanFish
03-23-2005, 09:04 AM
Really, I don't understand the problem people have with Victor Zambrano. He's a pitcher who can't be measured by his baseline stats because of the type of pitcher he is: an effectively wild breaking ball pitcher. It isn't a fluke that over the last three years he's 24-19 as a starting pitcher for what was the worst team in the AL East. He's no ace, but he's hardly a weakness at the back end of a rotation.