PDA

View Full Version : Pablo Ozuna making the team?

Shorty1983
03-20-2005, 01:59 PM
Pablo Ozuna is getting closer to making the White Sox as a bench player.
Ozuna went 2-for-3 yesterday and is now hitting .500 (15-for-30) on the spring. ''Ozuna came to spring training with a mission to make the team,'' Guillen said. ''He has opened a lot of eyes.'' And we now have example #1,504,395 why judging players on spring stats is so silly. Sure Ozuna has had 30 good at-bats, but he has over 3,000 at-bats between the minors and majors that say he can't hit. Mar. 20 - 8:43 am et
Source: Chicago Sun-Times (http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-chris20.html)

JUribe1989
03-20-2005, 02:31 PM
Pablo Ozuna is getting closer to making the White Sox as a bench player.
Ozuna went 2-for-3 yesterday and is now hitting .500 (15-for-30) on the spring. ''Ozuna came to spring training with a mission to make the team,'' Guillen said. ''He has opened a lot of eyes.'' And we now have example #1,504,395 why judging players on spring stats is so silly. Sure Ozuna has had 30 good at-bats, but he has over 3,000 at-bats between the minors and majors that say he can't hit. Mar. 20 - 8:43 am et
Source: Chicago Sun-Times (http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-chris20.html)

I think Ozuna deserves to make the team, this could follow the same plot as Ross Gload last year and look how well that served us. Rotoworld gets really annoying with their responses. They hate everybody.

ChiWhiteSox1337
03-20-2005, 02:36 PM
I definitely agree with the idea of Ozuna making the 25 man roster, especially with Willie Harris hitting a putrid .179 in ST. They say it's only ST, but clearly that's not always the case when someone trying to get the final spot on the team is hitting .179.

JUribe1989
03-20-2005, 02:39 PM
I definitely agree with the idea of Ozuna making the 25 man roster, especially with Willie Harris hitting a putrid .179 in ST. They say it's only ST, but clearly that's not always the case when someone trying to get the final spot on the team is hitting .179.

I have never agreed with a statement so much said on this board, spring training does mean something in that sense.

Flasportsfan88
03-20-2005, 06:08 PM
I remeber Ozuna as a highly prized prospect with Florida (Im a Marlin fan) but could never settle in with a strting job becuase of Castillo... I glad he's finally settled in somewhere... Are the sox only going to keep either Harris, or Ozuna, or maybe both?

delben91
03-20-2005, 06:17 PM
I remeber Ozuna as a highly prized prospect with Florida (Im a Marlin fan) but could never settle in with a strting job becuase of Castillo... I glad he's finally settled in somewhere... Are the sox only going to keep either Harris, or Ozuna, or maybe both?

From the way Harris has been playing this spring, probably just Ozuna. But if Willie turns it around, it could be both until Frank Thomas comes off the DL.

Of note - post 2000 :cool:

jortafan
03-20-2005, 06:22 PM
I have a confession to make.

When I lived in Springfield, I was a fan of the minor league Cardinals/Sultans/Capitals. But every now and then, I would make the hour-long drive to Peoria to catch the Chiefs.

I still remember the 1998 season because the Chiefs had this (to my eyes) incredible shortstop. I had trouble believing he was only an "A" ball player, and I was convinced I was seeing the next great shortstop in the major leagues.

That ballplayer was Pablo Ozuna, and the reality is that he soon after made it to AAA ball, but he seems to have stalled there. I'd get a real big kick if he were to make it to the majors with the White Sox.

He might not be the next great star. But surely he's good enough to be our team's reserve middle infielder.

Jurr
03-20-2005, 06:31 PM
Yeah...I love it how everybody bases a player on what he did last year or the years before. Nobody in any skill profession is great at their job when they start out. They learn to perform, yet for some reason this is not a concept that the "experts" in baseball ever learn.

Por ejemplo, we picked up a little utility infielder last year that had only hit 10 homers in Coors field. He must not have power at all----or so the experts said. He hadn't proven anything. Great. Now we have a 24 and 88 hitter in the shortstop position.

Ozuna may bring us some great moments in the bigs this year. The guys that concern you are the guys that have had a great deal of big league experience and still can't break the Mendoza line in spring training. Willie Harris and Joe Borchard may end up developing into big league talents, but for some reason they haven't put it together. We'll see about them.

Screw what Pablo Ozuna has done in the past. What he's doing now is playing good ball, and that's enough for the Sox.

duke of dorwood
03-20-2005, 06:49 PM
I like what I have seen of Pablo.

. And put me on the 25 man if it keeps Harris off

DickAllen72
03-20-2005, 07:36 PM
Sure Ozuna has had 30 good at-bats, but he has over 3,000 at-bats between the minors and majors that say he can't hit. Mar. 20 - 8:43 am et

In 3050 Minor League AB's Ozuna has a .317 BA with a .357 OBP and an .800 OPS.

In 111 Major League AB's he has a .261 BA.

I'd say his past stats say he has the potential to be a pretty good hitter.